Md Calendar Completion

Aysun

As inquiries have been made about the completion of the MD calendar and a response given that it is now an open community project with potential incentive, I thought I'd start the thread for the work.

I've personally been interested in the calendar for quite some time, so I'd really like to help with this if possible. Could the person who will be in charge for putting up the finished work once it's all completed PM me please?

The announcement made was as follows:

[quote]As you probably noticed, the calendar for these few month does not exist yet. Any of you is welcome to help by providing interesting ("same style") info for each of the missing days till the end of the year. Its better to get organized before randomly preparing info, use the forum for that. Currently we have all month of the year till August (included), so September October November and December are to be made. There are rewards for those that will help to finish the calendar but if you are doing it just for the reward please don't join.[/quote]

So, the months missing are:
•[b]September
•October
•November
•December[/b]

Some of the cultures that are currently used on the calendar are:
•Ancient Egyptian
•Greek
•Roman
•Celtic
•Islam
•Ancient Persian
•Aztec
•Native American
•Japanese
•[u]Significant events[/u] from the MD Adventure Log

(If anyone remembers any others, please post them and I can add them to the list.)

It seems that roughly about 3-4 different cultural 'events' are mentioned at [i]most[/i] on any given day, written in a concise format.

Renavoid mentioned in the mood panel that the calendar has already been finished, but it seems either the work was never received or simply not implemented. Whether that is used or new work used, I figure a thread to start doing [i]something[/i] can't hurt!

≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠

Ok, in an effort to streamline this, I'm going to propose the following:

•Those wishing to contribute should pick a full week (seven days) to do at any given time. I will put up a list of dates for all the missing months so that they can be signed up for.

•Choose at least two historic HOLIDAYS* prior to the year 1650AD for any given day, but [u]no more than four for that day[/u] (three is an ideal number unless that day happens to be incredibly interesting for some reason).

•Holiday summaries should be no longer than 130 characters each.

•Each holiday entry for any given date should include a citation of where you got it from. This is just to make sure they're not coming out of thin air.

•Completed weeks should be PM'd to me as in-line text. Please don't send me attachments.

Here's a sample of what I'm looking for:

[quote=Submission Template]WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 1-7

Sept. 1:

•holiday name- holiday 140 character text here (citation here at end of individual entry)

•holiday name- holiday 140 character text here (citation here at end of individual entry)

Sept. 2:

Sept. 3:

Sept. 4:

Sept. 5:

Sept. 6:

Sept. 7:

•holiday name- holiday 140 character text here (citation here at end of individual entry)[/quote]

Dates Available for work ([color="#4169E1"]post which you'd like to do and I'll put your name next to it[/color]- [b]Please submit one week before picking another one[/b]):

[color="#808080"]SEPT 1-7 ==>Aysun/awiiya (complete)
SEPT 8-15 ==>Awiiya (complete)
SEPT 16-23 ==>Awiiya (complete)
SEPT 24-30 ==>Awiiya (complete)

OCT 1-7 ==>Zleiphneir (complete)
OCT 8-15 ==>Zleiphneir (complete)
OCT 16-23 ==>Zleiphneir (complete)
OCT 24-31 ==>Zleiphneir (complete)

NOV 1-7 ==>bfh lighthing (complete)[/color]
NOV 8-15 ==>Peace (in progress)
[color="#FF0000"]NOV 16-23
NOV 24-30[/color]

DEC 1-7 ==>Aysun (in progress)
[color="#FF0000"]DEC 8-15
DEC 16-23
DEC 24-31[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]RED[/color] = open for work
BLACK = in progress
[color="#808080"]GREY[/color] = completed

[color="#FF0000"]>>>>READ ME:[/color] [u]Generic lists of dates for one specific culture are ok. Otherwise, PLEASE only submit ONE WEEK AT A TIME and let me know what you're working on right before you start so that I can keep track of it- you have no idea if someone else also has a message sitting in my inbox asking for something that you've begun work on without letting me know. This is the only way it can stay organized. PLEASE stick to the script with this, otherwise it becomes a tangled mess.[/u]

*just a note on the definition of 'holiday'- a traditional festival or traditional remembrance day that has become a feast day of some kind and has/had become an annual cultural norm for a given society. For example, The day athens survived against Sparta became an annual festival in greece, thus giving it long-term signifigance. However, the Battle of Torrence was just a battle- nothing is attached to it other than it happened and thusly shouldn't be used. If you have to wonder if it's worth using as a holiday for a given day, just pick something else less questionable. ;)

[color="#FF0000"]tl;dr[/color]: There is no tl;dr-Read this post or else your submission won't be used.

Edited by Aysun

Yes, I agree. I'll have one up soon. Thank you for the suggestion!

edit: There we go! If anyone has any critiques, ideas, or suggestions for the template or any other element of what's up so far, please share your thoughts with me. I consider this extremely flexible, so let's make it the best. :P

Edited by Aysun

I think I had contacted someone about the calendar myself, a long time back, but I was told that all the required info was gathered more or less, so I gave up my research. It is rather easy for me to get the Greek information should you need me to get it.

[quote name='DarkPriestess' timestamp='1285721134' post='69317']
I think I had contacted someone about the calendar myself, a long time back, but I was told that all the required info was gathered more or less, so I gave up my research. It is rather easy for me to get the Greek information should you need me to get it.
[/quote]

Sure! Are you thinking of doing a full week, or are you just wanting to hand over a fact sheet of things that can be used?

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1285735680' post='69322']
I would really like that Slavic dates get implemented into the calendar of world cultures
[/quote]

Sure! Do you have a specific culture in mind for that? Please remember that they need to have been active at or before 1650AD otherwise it's bordering too much on the modern. Kiev Rus, for example, could be a good pick possibly. What do you think?

before of course. Slavs adopted Christianity much before 1650, and as a religion it got exterminated, but some traditions remained.

South Slavs inhabited Balkans, and first Serb state for example was founded in 9th century.

All Slavs have same background, but perhaps there are number of additions in the culture in West/East/South Slavs due to different influences.

I recently bought a huge book that is used in university of Belgrade about Slavic Culture and Mythology. Due to school duties, my plan was to research it over next several months or more, but I guess you won't wait for that long.
There are many celebrations that just changed their name when Christianity was adopted, but the tradition of them stayed the same, there's bound to be a lot of data on the net.

I would like it to be implemented into the calendar, cause Slavic culture isn't just something irrelevant, Slavic nations have large influence in the course of history and culture (as do the rest of the Calendar cultures).

Be careful about Kievan Rus tho, cause they were originally Slavic nation ruled by Varangians, so Nord culture is bound to have some influence there (if you search concretely Kievan Rus culture)

[quote name='Aysun' timestamp='1285717900' post='69312']
•Ancient Egyptian
•Greek
•Roman
•Celtic
•Islam
•Ancient Persian
•Aztec
•Native American
•Japanese

(If anyone remembers any others, please post them and I can add them to the list.)
[/quote]

Also, Nordic. I remember noticing (back when I was mp3) a mention of Freya which should have been Frigga; I don't know if it was fixed.

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1285755519' post='69338']
before of course. Slavs adopted Christianity much before 1650, and as a religion it got exterminated, but some traditions remained.

South Slavs inhabited Balkans, and first Serb state for example was founded in 9th century.

All Slavs have same background, but perhaps there are number of additions in the culture in West/East/South Slavs due to different influences.

I recently bought a huge book that is used in university of Belgrade about Slavic Culture and Mythology. Due to school duties, my plan was to research it over next several months or more, but I guess you won't wait for that long.
There are many celebrations that just changed their name when Christianity was adopted, but the tradition of them stayed the same, there's bound to be a lot of data on the net.

I would like it to be implemented into the calendar, cause Slavic culture isn't just something irrelevant, Slavic nations have large influence in the course of history and culture (as do the rest of the Calendar cultures).

Be careful about Kievan Rus tho, cause they were originally Slavic nation ruled by Varangians, so Nord culture is bound to have some influence there (if you search concretely Kievan Rus culture)
[/quote]

No one's tried to leave slavic people out of this- please let me say this first of all. My original list of groups regularly named in the calendar was purely from memory and needs to be added to.

The problem with what you're proposing is that the slavs only ever coalesced into a defined civilization in a couple of places in history. We cannot just say 'slavs' on the list, because that is much too vague and the differences from tribe to tribe, and even village to village, with regards to heritage and especially religion were so drastically different from each other at times that there is no real uniformity to it that anyone remembers. This makes putting accurate dates to thoroughly known events hard. That remembering part is also especially important, too- writing did not come about in that area until the conversion from christianity, and by then those who were literate were not concerned with correctly recording local legend and native pagan myth in the slightest so a great deal of information is lost to time. Reconstructions have been attempted, but at best they are just vague stipulations in the end.

Just like with Peace's greece list, I can accept a list of events you might put together, but there is no guarantee that they will *all* be used as anyone who decides to do a week can pick and choose which holidays they think are relative, and perhaps the most significant globally, to that day. But if you'd like to submit a compiled list of dates from [i]a specific slavic culture in particular[/i] (aka, this group of slavs must have a culturally identifying name), then I'll see what I can do to work at least some of them in.

[u]
As a note to everyone[/u], PLEASE keep in mind that dates are being worked on in WEEKLY increments- not monthly or yearly. Proposing a group to add to the civilization list to be considered and looked out for is fine, submitting a general fact sheet to me is fine, but things are getting completed in WEEKLY increments and people who sign up for weeks will have a blank slate to pick and choose what they feel is globally significant. They will not be picking a week and then handed an already worked on form. If you'd like to make sure a particular favourite civilization (civilization, mind you) is included, please sign up for a week, HOWEVER any one-sided submissions will be heavily edited. A.k.a., please do not submit a week to me where all 28 events only come from Asia, for example. Please be globally and diversely minded with this project.

Edited by Aysun

yes, it's true, different tribes interpret events differently, but the essence should be the same...

It didn't create that problem for other civilizations, for example we are using Greek mythology in the calendar, yet every city in ancient Greece was a separate state with it's own cult of god/goddess...
I'm not that of an expert on Slavic mythology (that's why I acquired that book I mentioned) to tell more about all of this, but I know enough that it deserves a place in the calendar, and I'll see if I can help out for it to get there

Some celebrations can be found here as well (oh that Google :P ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_mythology

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

I'd like to sign up and give you a hand Aysun. I helped a bit with the old one here and there.

I'll start with week OCT 24 - 31 if that's ok? Otherwise just pick any of them for me, I'll send you a forum PM done as you've stated when I'm done and if it's ok then you can assign me a new week?

Z

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1285772468' post='69347']
yes, it's true, different tribes interpret events differently, but the essence should be the same...

It didn't create that problem for other civilizations, for example we are using Greek mythology in the calendar, yet every city in ancient Greece was a separate state with it's own cult of god/goddess...
I'm not that of an expert on Slavic mythology (that's why I acquired that book I mentioned) to tell more about all of this, but I know enough that it deserves a place in the calendar, and I'll see if I can help out for it to get there

Some celebrations can be found here as well (oh that Google :D ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_mythology
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! From what I can tell with slavic culture is that there is only consistently, say, Veles and Perun that are consistent throughout the society through time as a whole. Otherwise it's all exceedingly specialized from there. The reason why the greeks work better for this sort of thing than the slavs is because they were slaves to record keeping. They recorded everything- ideas, government tallies, and even day to day accounting. You don't have these sorts of things in slavic culture outside of specific civilizations (such as Kiev and the early Russian empire) because writing didn't exist before the missionaries came in and created it- and by then, they didn't care about recording when all the old pagan festivals and feast days were. The reason why I think Kiev Rus will perhaps work the best for what you're proposing is because as a centralized civilization, there would've been record keeping of some sort. I'll have to look into that, but it's hard, if not impossible, to run a city without record books. I'm newly researching this stuff myself (and I find it a fascinating coincidence that you've brought it up here), so I need to look into that theory. If you're worried about Kiev Rus being influenced by outsiders, you must understand that there is no such thing as a 'pure' culture. A culture, at its essence, is an amalgamation of ideas from different places. If we go back to the two staple gods of Slavic paganism, Veles/Volos is merely an import of the proto-hindu Vele for example. So even if we took a broad look at slavic culture, there is still significant outside influence. With that said, I think Kiev Rus might be the closest we can get to an original significant Slavic civilization that will have some sort of recorded record of city feast days. We can both look into it, though. :)

[quote name='(Zl-eye-f)-nea' timestamp='1285772947' post='69348']
I'd like to sign up and give you a hand Aysun. I helped a bit with the old one here and there.

I'll start with week OCT 24 - 31 if that's ok? Otherwise just pick any of them for me, I'll send you a forum PM done as you've stated when I'm done and if it's ok then you can assign me a new week?

Z
[/quote]

Sure thing! Go ahead and start on it and I'll get your name by that week. You can pick any that you like- if you would like me to pick them, I'll probably just go down the list, haha. Thanks so much!!

I've added a key to the week sign-up spread. I'm going to go ahead and start my own work just going down the list doing weeks that have not been choosen yet, so if you want to do a certain week, be sure to pick it now! [u]Remember to follow ALL the guidelines presented in the first post![/u] 8D

[quote name='Aysun' timestamp='1285794026' post='69378']
I've added a key to the week sign-up spread. I'm going to go ahead and start my own work just going down the list doing weeks that have not been choosen yet, so if you want to do a certain week, be sure to pick it now! [u]Remember to follow ALL the guidelines presented in the first post![/u] 8D
[/quote]

November 1-7

DO NOT FORGET:

Add AL events into the Calendar. You can find any events in your specified week by a quick command-f.

The calendar is a little out-dated in it's style, and I as the creator of a few months will readily admit to that. It draws too much from the outside world for my tastes, but if people find it interesting, then I suppose it stays. It would be best to make a new calendar based solely on important events in real MD history, but lacking such initiative, I only ask that all the AL events that can be included are included.

Awi

P.S. I suppose now is as good a time as any for an admission: the calendar doesn't have the soundest base in fact. This came about because ancient cultures often used lunar or other calendars that do not have a representation in our Greggorian one, the conflict among scholars when events actually occurred, and the unreliability of researching cultures that are long and gone. For instance, I doubt anybody alive knows truly when a Mayan holiday for such-and-such God actually occurred, but we can probably assume that such a holiday has taken place sometime in the geologically-brief history of the human race, and if we miss the date by a few months or weeks, to me it was an acceptable sacrifice. This is the way I was told Actraiser did it, and it is the way I did too.

Edited by awiiya

Ok, guys, I'm gonna say this just one last time--

[color="#FF0000"]Generic lists of dates for one specific culture are ok. Otherwise, PLEASE only submit ONE WEEK AT A TIME and let me know what you're working on right before you start so that I can keep track of it- you have no idea if someone else also has a message sitting in my inbox asking for something that you've begun work on without letting me know. This is the only way it can stay organized. PLEASE stick to the script with this, otherwise it becomes a tangled mess.[/color]

Awi- I'll add AL to the list. Thanks!

edit: Ok, updated the first post a little bit. Hope it'll clarify some things a bit. :) Otherwise, I'm off to bed right now, hahaha! :D

Edited by Aysun

[quote name='Aysun' timestamp='1285783930' post='69367']
Thanks for the link! From what I can tell with slavic culture is that there is only consistently, say, Veles and Perun that are consistent throughout the society through time as a whole. Otherwise it's all exceedingly specialized from there. The reason why the greeks work better for this sort of thing than the slavs is because they were slaves to record keeping. They recorded everything- ideas, government tallies, and even day to day accounting. You don't have these sorts of things in slavic culture outside of specific civilizations (such as Kiev and the early Russian empire) because writing didn't exist before the missionaries came in and created it- and by then, they didn't care about recording when all the old pagan festivals and feast days were. The reason why I think Kiev Rus will perhaps work the best for what you're proposing is because as a centralized civilization, there would've been record keeping of some sort. I'll have to look into that, but it's hard, if not impossible, to run a city without record books. I'm newly researching this stuff myself (and I find it a fascinating coincidence that you've brought it up here), so I need to look into that theory. If you're worried about Kiev Rus being influenced by outsiders, you must understand that there is no such thing as a 'pure' culture. A culture, at its essence, is an amalgamation of ideas from different places. If we go back to the two staple gods of Slavic paganism, Veles/Volos is merely an import of the proto-hindu Vele for example. So even if we took a broad look at slavic culture, there is still significant outside influence. With that said, I think Kiev Rus might be the closest we can get to an original significant Slavic civilization that will have some sort of recorded record of city feast days. We can both look into it, though. :)
[/quote]

yes, you're right :)
the best thing I can do, except surfing on the net, is to notify you on related-important stuff I found out after reading that book I mentioned, but who knows when that'll gonna happen. In any case, count on that, if you stick around for that long, which I hope you will :)

There are dates to find for sure in Serbian part of Slavic culture, since many pagan celebrations stayed de facto with de jure Christian meaning, and celebrations that go around one Saint are pretty often, every house (religious one) has its saint chosen to celebrate when the day comes. It requires some digging up but it's very possible to find original Slavic festivals there.

I'll try to google some Slavic festivals in general later on, to find some exact dates to let you know about.

Also Awiiya just said something that I messaged Akasha long time ago, that calendar in my opinion should be focused on MD events and not the outside world (but while it has outside influence, I want Slavic part toooooo :D), which would be really nice to see.

^ Yeah, I know that quite a bit got melded with christian holidays in order to convert people. It's an interesting phenomina but really wrought with complications. Mostly because every single day of the calendar is a saint's feast day in general, and a lot of saints never actually existed. St. Blaise for example is the god Veles, and St. Christopher is the egyptian Anubis. This is why they're no longer considered real saints and have been recalled by the church. xD So, we have these things to watch out for. Still, I feel that there's enough out there that we can use, though, so I'm not too worried! :)

I'll be at this for awhile. All the weeks have to be completed and submitted and then looked over and compiled and then turned in-- and then whoever's the new announcement maker in MD (which, if you're reading this, please PM me!) will have to look over it and approve it and then put it into the system. In an ideal world, all that won't take longer than two months max, but who knows. So, I feel there's plenty of time either way. :)

As a note, BFH and peace have been added to their requested weeks! Please continue to post here with the week of your choice if you'd like to contribute to the calendar and I'll add you to the chart. :D

[size="4"][b]Calendar Events on Sub- Indian continent for 2011[/b][/size]
Based on Hindu mythology

1)Date Festival name
Jan 14 Makar Sankranti or Pongal

Date of Observance:
It marks the beginning of the gradual increase of the duration of the day

Description : Pongal is one of the most popular harvest festival of South India, mainly Tamil Nadu. Pongal falls in the mid-January every year and marks the auspicious beginning of Uttarayan – sun's journey northwards. Pongal festival lasts for four days. Makar Sankranti marks the transition of the Sun into Makar (Capricorn)

2)Date Festival name
08 Feb Vasant Panchami

Date of Observance: Fifth day of waxing moon

Description : Vasant Panchami (also called Saraswati Puja ) is celebrated for the blessing of Saraswati, goddess of wisdom

3)Date Festival name
3rd Mar Maha Shivaratri

Date of observance : Thirteenth night of the waning moon

Description : Maha Shivaratri is the great night of Lord Shiva, followers of Shiva observe religious fasting and the offering of Bael (Bilva) leaves to the Shiva.
Lord Shiva - Shiva is a major Hindu deity. Shiva is seen as the Supreme God.
Bael leaves - Bael is a middle sized slender aromatic armed tree native to India. It has since spread to throughout South-east Asia. It is a gum-bearing tree.

4)Date Festival name
20 March Holi

Date of Observance : Full moon

Description : Holi is a popular spring festival. Holi commemorates the slaying of the demoness Holika by Lord Vishnu's devotee Prahlad.
Lord Vishnu - Vishnu as one of the five primary forms of God.
Prahlad - Prahlada is a character from texts of Hinduism, wherein he is famed for his exclusive devotion (bhakti) to Vishnu, despite attempts in the story by his father, Hiranyakashipu to turn him to the contrary.

5)Date Festival name
12 April Rama Navami

Description : Rama Navami is the celebration of the birth of Lord Rama.
Lord Rama - Rama is considered to be the seventh avatar of Lord Vishnu in Hinduism,and a mythological king of Ayodhya in ancient Indian Puranas. Based on Puranic genealogy, Rama is believed by Hindus to have lived during 1450 BC, during the Rig Vedic period.

6)Date Festival name
13 July Rath Yatra

Description : Rath Yatra is the festival associated with Jagannath.
Rath - Temple cars are chariots used to carry idols of Hindu gods. The car is usually used on festival days, when many people pull the cart.
Jaganath - Jagannātha is a Hindu deity, a form of Vishnu. Jagannātha is worshipped by Hindus all over India. The Jagannātha Temple in Puri is regarded as one of the four most sacred Hindu pilgrimage places in India.

7)Date Festival name
August 22nd Krishna Janmaashtami

Date of observation : Eighth day of waning moon
Description : Krishna Janmaashtami is the Hindu festival celebrating the birth of Lord Krishna. It is actually called as Krishna Jayanthi.
Lord Krishna - Krishna is a deity worshipped across many traditions in Hinduism in a variety of perspectives.

8)Date Festival name
Sept 11th Ganesh Chaturthi
Date of Observation : Fourth day of the waxing moon
Describtion : Ganesh Chaturthi is the celebration of the birth of Lord Ganesh.
Lord Ganesh - Ganesha is one of the deities best-known and most widely worshipped in the Hindu pantheon. His image is found throughout India and Nepal. Hindu sects worship him regardless of affiliations. Devotion to Ganesha is widely diffused and extends to Jains, Buddhists, and beyond India.

9)Date Festival name
26 th Oct Deepavali
Date of Observation : New moon
Describtion : Deepavali which means "row of lights/lamps" is called "Divali" in North India, Deepa means lamp and in Hindi a lamp is mostly called a Diya or Di. The festival is celebrated on the occasion of Lord Krishna and his wife Satyabhama killing a demon Narakasura. Another story says the festival is celebrated for the return of Lord Rama and Sita to the kingdom Ayodhya after fourteen years of exile.

Thats all, this is for an entire year. I found few wrong dates announcement before so i have corrected for the whole year.

Id like to expand the calander, but i have little to no information on how to program, id like to write it about something i will not share because if I did then i would probably get the idea stolen :/

[quote name='The Great Pashweetie' timestamp='1286491173' post='69885']
Id like to expand the calander, but i have little to no information on how to program, id like to write it about something i will not share because if I did then i would probably get the idea stolen :/
[/quote]

All the information you need to know is in the first post.

It's not just writing about something. Is investigating ancient events from specific cultures in specific dates.

Edit: Adding what the first topic says:

[spoiler]
Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:51 PM As inquiries have been made about the completion of the MD calendar and a response given that it is now an open community project with potential incentive, I thought I'd start the thread for the work.

I've personally been interested in the calendar for quite some time, so I'd really like to help with this if possible. Could the person who will be in charge for putting up the finished work once it's all completed PM me please?

The announcement made was as follows:

As you probably noticed, the calendar for these few month does not exist yet. Any of you is welcome to help by providing interesting ("same style") info for each of the missing days till the end of the year. Its better to get organized before randomly preparing info, use the forum for that. Currently we have all month of the year till August (included), so September October November and December are to be made. There are rewards for those that will help to finish the calendar but if you are doing it just for the reward please don't join.

So, the months missing are:
•[b]September
•October
•November
•December[/b]

•Ancient Egyptian
•Greek
•Roman
•Celtic
•Islam
•Ancient Persian
•Aztec
•Native American
•Japanese
•Significant events from the MD Adventure Log

It seems that roughly about 3-4 different cultural 'events' are mentioned at [i]most[/i] on any given day, written in a concise format.

Renavoid mentioned in the mood panel that the calendar has already been finished, but it seems either the work was never received or simply not implemented. Whether that is used or new work used, I figure a thread to start doing [i]something[/i] can't hurt!

≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠ ≠

Ok, in an effort to streamline this, I'm going to propose the following:

•Those wishing to contribute should pick a full week (seven days) to do at any given time. I will put up a list of dates for all the missing months so that they can be signed up for.

•Choose at least two historic HOLIDAYS* prior to the year 1650AD for any given day, but no more than four for that day (three is an ideal number unless that day happens to be incredibly interesting for some reason).

•Holiday summaries should be no longer than 130 characters each.

•Each holiday entry for any given date should include a citation of where you got it from. This is just to make sure they're not coming out of thin air.

•Completed weeks should be PM'd to me as in-line text. Please don't send me attachments.

Here's a sample of what I'm looking for:

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 1-7

Sept. 1:

Sept. 2:

Sept. 3:

Sept. 4:

Sept. 5:

Sept. 6:

Sept. 7:

Dates Available for work (post which you'd like to do and I'll put your name next to it- [b]Please submit one week before picking another one[/b]):

SEPT 1-7 ==>Aysun (in progress)
SEPT 8-15
SEPT 16-23
SEPT 24-30

OCT 1-7 ==>Zleiphneir (in progress)
OCT 8-15 ==>Zleiphneir (in progress)
OCT 16-23 ==>Zleiphneir (in progress)
OCT 24-31 ==>Zleiphneir (in progress)

NOV 1-7 ==>bfh lighthing (in progress)
NOV 8-15 ==>Peace (in progress)
NOV 16-23
NOV 24-30

DEC 1-7
DEC 8-15
DEC 16-23
DEC 24-31

RED = open for work
BLACK = in progress
GREY = completed

>>>>READ ME: Generic lists of dates for one specific culture are ok. Otherwise, PLEASE only submit ONE WEEK AT A TIME and let me know what you're working on right before you start so that I can keep track of it- you have no idea if someone else also has a message sitting in my inbox asking for something that you've begun work on without letting me know. This is the only way it can stay organized. PLEASE stick to the script with this, otherwise it becomes a tangled mess.

*just a note on the definition of 'holiday'- a traditional festival or traditional remembrance day that has become a feast day of some kind and has/had become an annual cultural norm for a given society. For example, The day athens survived against Sparta became an annual festival in greece, thus giving it long-term signifigance. However, the Battle of Torrence was just a battle- nothing is attached to it other than it happened and thusly shouldn't be used. If you have to wonder if it's worth using as a holiday for a given day, just pick something else less questionable. :P

[/spoiler]

BFH

Edited by bfh lighthing

Adding to Tipu's

1)Date
October 16-17 : Mahanavami/Vijayadhashami
Description: Concluding days of famous Navaratri (Nine days of celebration). These days are mainly referred as "Pooja" holidays. This is basically the days of whorship to Goddess Durga. During these days people put down their work materials and engage in poojas.

2)August 18- 25 : Onam

Description : Onam is the largest festival in the Indian state of Kerala. It falls during the first month of the Malayalam calendar which is Chingam (August–September) and marks the homecoming of the legendary King Mahabali. Kerala's rice harvest festival and the festival of rain flowers which fell on the Malayalam month of Chingam celebrated the annual visit from pathalam of the very noble Demon King Maveli.

Will add more :-)

-rider

[quote name='dragonrider7' timestamp='1286501251' post='69896']
Adding to Tipu's

1)Date
October 16-17 : Mahanavami/Vijayadhashami
Description: Concluding days of famous Navaratri (Nine days of celebration). These days are mainly referred as "Pooja" holidays. This is basically the days of whorship to Goddess Durga. During these days people put down their work materials and engage in poojas.

2)August 18- 25 : Onam

Description : Onam is the largest festival in the Indian state of Kerala. It falls during the first month of the Malayalam calendar which is Chingam (August–September) and marks the homecoming of the legendary King Mahabali. Kerala's rice harvest festival and the festival of rain flowers which fell on the Malayalam month of Chingam celebrated the annual visit from pathalam of the very noble Demon King Maveli.

Will add more :-)

-rider
[/quote]

Please PM me with any work you do. Thanks! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted all of October on the 29th of September. I know you want to edit/censor all our submissions yourself Aysun, only submit a week at a time, and wait for anyone else to volunteer...but its close enough to a month on now...and I could have sorted it all out for you on my own by now let alone anything else...

Would it be helpful to you for people involved to do some more/ give you some back up? As I mentionned in a PM to you on the 29th, I can easily do another month and more. Personally, I think this is a better tack than letting it drag on for whatever the reason may be when it doesn't really need to.

Z