Mission Of Legend Speakers

Fyrd Argentus

With any change of leadership comes a refinement and restatement of purpose for an alliance. Here is my view.

Legend Speakers are not so much neutral as being dedicated to the healthy balance and growth of the realm as a whole. We will champion the underdogs and be advocates for truth and justice as the culture of the Magic Duel realm develops into the future.

Individuals within Legend Speakers are encouraged to pursue their selected "Cause Celeb" and "Interest Focus". Ideally, each land should be assigned an Envoy to work closely with them in glorifying their particular culture and achievements. This cannot be done impartially, but must be done with passion. However, all Legend Speakers must be capable of acting with professional balance and neutrality when called upon to act as representatives of the Alliance, or of the Magic Duel Archives as a whole.

Our overall mission is to breath life and color into the realm, glorifying (or vilifying) the events of the day. This can be done in many different ways. To the traditional services of creative writing of stories and songs, and work with Lands or Players to express themselves in papers and position statements, we wish to add an emphasis on sponsorship of events and creation of quests that add excitement to the realm. Please view Legend Speakers as a resource group that can be called upon to make your event a success.

Recruitment is open for any who show both creative talent and professionalism in their dealings in the realm.

[quote]With any change of leadership comes a refinement and restatement of purpose for an alliance. Here is my view.

Legend Speakers are not so much neutral as being dedicated to the healthy balance and growth of the realm as a whole. We will champion the underdogs and be advocates for truth and justice as the culture of the Magic Duel realm develops into the future.

Individuals within Legend Speakers are encouraged to pursue their selected "Cause Celeb" and "Interest Focus". Ideally, each land should be assigned an Envoy to work closely with them in glorifying their particular culture and achievements. This cannot be done impartially, but must be done with passion. However, all Legend Speakers must be capable of acting with professional balance and neutrality when called upon to act as representatives of the Alliance, or of the Magic Duel Archives as a whole.[/quote]

Now, while I am on a rampage, and obviously since my calmer point of view wasn't enough to change your mind, allow me to say them here, with a firmer tone:

WE. ARE. NEUTRAL. What part of that can't you understand? We are in neutral territory, and we have ALWAYS been neutral. Taking away our neutrality is a big BIG mistake. I told you that. If you take away our neutrality, you will have a very, very angry person on your hands. There is no way that we can't possibly be a non-neutral guild in a neutral land. If you even so much as DARE move us from MDA, I swear, you will not be happy.

I am surprised no one else has pointed this out yet. And while I'm at it, since you decide to ignore me privately, I will speak my mind on the forums, publicly. Maybe that will do something.

As for Envoys: We have 2. We only need 2 more.

As for Recruitment: I refuse to have people join our alliance willy nilly. I refuse to have members of whom I have no respect for. This is an Alliance, not a damn free for all.

Edited by Curiose

Curiose, may I ask how you define neutrality? I am in agreement that the tabloids do not seem very neutral, but beyond that I am confused regarding the definition of the word that has haunted the Archivists and Legend Speakers for so long.

Long ago, when I was an Archivist, the then Mistress of the Archives, Pamplemousse, attempted to explain it to me. And for as long as I remained within the alliance I did my best to adhere to her guidelines. But it was never truly clear to me how I was supposed to act.

You've brought up this issue again, and I've once more tried to understand. However, the definitions I can find on the web are as follows (or very similar):

From Princeton WordNet:
[list]
[*]nonparticipation in a dispute or war
[*]disinterest: tolerance attributable to a lack of involvement
[*]pH value of 7
[/list]
Now obviously you're not referring to the last, and I doubt the first. If that leaves us the second definition, then is it possible to act out of disinterest? If yes, why would one do so? Perhaps you act in another interest, which may remove you from bias, but that is not complete neutrality, is it?

Perhaps what I'm hinting at is that a middle ground needs to be found. Gossip or, rather, sensationalism is likely to cause problems and disrepute. But I wonder if complete neutrality, if it's even possible (I haven't seen it yet, and personally, I'd rather not), is in MD's best interest.

What I mean by neutrality, is not really any of those definitions.

It's more along the lines of keeping personal bias out of reason and reviewing. We are an extension of the Archivists, however, we do research more on the past, [and sometimes present], than recording said information. We may work with the Archivists with the knowledge we have gained hence forth, however, we must do so in a way that does not tamper with the actual events.

If we declare ourselves no longer neutral, it would mean we cannot possibly be part of MDA, because, as stated above, MDA has to find that fine line of being impartial. I'd like to think of us as historians, not as people who need to dive head first into the action to stir things up for others. There is a saying that all history was written by the victors, but I do not see us as that.

I am a very avid person when it comes to the happenings of MD. I dislike passive approach very much, and therefore, I like to see what happens myself, instead of hearing it from others. Neutrality, in a sense, I suppose for me, would have to be that grey line of something I do best: Which is seeing each side to the battle field. Blurring that with personal opinion only makes it black.

• Root Admin

I cant believe what i have just read? You are actually saying that now the LS are not neutral? What next? Are you planning to join Necro and fight Jester?!

I disagree with your statements on so many levels, They should be neutral, they have always been neutral, and you cannot just change the whole premise of a guild just because you dont like it.

Sorry, are you reading my post or Curiose's? She and I seem to be on different planets here.... I am just sitting back in stunned amazement at her rampages. And searching for those personal communications I supposedly ignored.

And I stand by my position that you can't write about something if you have no passion for it. That's rather different from going to war.

The Envoy system was one hope of allowing passionate writing while maintaining over-all guild neutrality, but that's not working either, as Curiose got herself kicked out of Necrovion.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

Actually. I did not get kicked out for just reason. I refused to side on any side regarding the matter, which brought up a list of events irrelevant to this.

Allow me o elaborate:

I wrote a PM with my thoughts after our previous discussion about your gaining leadership.
I wrote you another PM regarding recruitment and envoys.

Both of them give me no recollection of a response.

Edited by Curiose

[quote name='Ivorak' timestamp='1291680094' post='74704']
[list]
[*]nonparticipation in a dispute or war
[*]disinterest: tolerance attributable to a lack of involvement
[*]pH value of 7
[/list]
Now obviously you're not referring to the last, and I doubt the first.
[/quote]
Actually, political neutrality means 'not a participant in war' at the very least and is the primary (but not the only) concern here. Furthermore since the legend speakers and archivists are, or at least were, supposed to collect stories that happened. Not being active in a dispute doesn't even interfere with their jobs. Remember, it is the legend Speakers, not the Legend Creators. Nothing wrong with one of them becoming a legend, neither is anything wrong with one not becoming a legend; it is not the alliance's purpose.

In se every alliance is an opportunity to make the game more interesting. The Legend Speakers, Archivists and Newspaper are geared towards spreading the news and could be a source of inspiration or a catalyst, however the last role seems reserved to newspapers imo. They're also the only ones I expect to report quickly, with less attention to completeness or prozaic style.

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1291728070' post='74745']
Sorry, are you reading my post or Curiose's? She and I seem to be on different planets here.... I am just sitting back in stunned amazement at her rampages. And searching for those personal communications I supposedly ignored.

And I stand by my position that you can't write about something if you have no passion for it. That's rather different from going to war.

The Envoy system was one hope of allowing passionate writing while maintaining over-all guild neutrality, but that's not working either, as Curiosa got herself kicked out of Necrovion.
[/quote]
As a writing guild, your failure to communicate internally is hilarious :P.

I agree that having people write about things they lack interest in, is a bad strategy. However, if nobody is interested in reporting on the opponent or if there is a disproportion in talent/motivation/time then the end result is further from the idea of neutrality.

Assuming an envoy's job is to negotiate with nations, both Curiosa and Jester should be able to ignore the past and reach an agreement on who will be reporting on Necrovion, once again assuming it is not the job of the envoy to report on every story.

Curiose - private PM.

Chewett, of course you have the right to disagree. I'm merely trying to understand which parts you are having problems with. The Tabloids thing is just one of many things that I am doing, and it is not at all integral to, or representative of, Legend Speakers as a whole.

And I wanted to make sure you were reacting to what I actually wrote, not what Curiose seemed to think I wrote....