forgotten items -> land items

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

this is the worse thing i could possibly do .. use the forum as my personal notepad.

I want to put items on deserted characters back in play.

solution:
items can have the land mark on them and return to a central dispatch place when their owner goes missing in action for more than x days.
some items could be for temporary use directly

issue:
some items are role or character specific or of great personal value to the owner. Some dinosaurs paid a lot for some items or won them as rewards, and they might not be always active but when they return once a year , it would be a tragedy to find their beloved item on someone else.
Trading temporary use items would be a major issue.

why:
to increase amount of items among active players, lower their value and increase their use. Tool shops could also be an option later where you would go an pick an axe to get some wood, and only after you get enough woodcutting skill you could get into woodcutters guild to be able to gather also other materials or manufacture things out of wood (for example).

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1311826626' post='88984']
issue:
some items are role or character specific or of great personal value to the owner. Some dinosaurs paid a lot for some items or won them as rewards, and they might not be always active but when they return once a year , it would be a tragedy to find their beloved item on someone else.
[/quote]
This is also my main concern with taking items from inactive characters. Many items are role specific, or highly connected to the player even if it was not created specifically for him/her. And unlike the issue with avatars where there was a very limited supply, with items it is much "easier" to create new ones, and with the new cauldron recipes the amount of item would already increase a lot. I think your goal of increasing the amount of items in play would already be fulfilled soon with the new updates without the need to take back items in inactive players.

• Root Admin

Yeah, when creating new items if it has specific flags saying if it is a specific, or general item. therefore determining if it is "viable" for trading back.

Just leave all items that are currently lost with their owners, They didnt know items might dissapear, so it seems unfair to take them. You wouldnt consider taking Jonn's Avatar and its a similar principle.

I disagree with this idea, to me it is a slap in the face to those who have been here already, doing so with newer items or active items in the realm currently is fine, but I say let laying dogs lie. Things are meant to be lost of time, Enthropy...

We all have our "legacies" thats one of the appeals to MD...

If this is done, you might as well allow people to make items to steal items and avatars from other players...

Just my opinion take it as you want...
[font=Georgia,]

[/font]

I would also like to point out- no matter what kind of player it was, when they got an item, it became theirs. Obviously it is annoying to have the items lost, especially if there were some awesome things with it, but each player deserves some kind of respect for that. The avatar was bad enough if you ask me, because the concept was to have them stay yours forever originally, if you did the same with items you may as well take their creatures...

The only reason where I would not disagree was if you permanently deleted an account (or moving it into the database where you store them?) due to inactivity, and taking the items to prevent the loss of them.

It is reality after all, time moves on no matter how many fond memories we may have. If they do come back later to find out their account was deleted..that's too bad, we have 6 years of MD by now, so sooner or later cleanups would happen. I'd set the timeframe high though, seeing as many people come back after a year or so- I would suggest 2 years total inactivity.

Hmm well as you say the items from the past belonged to those players.
Ok yes they may not be on-line any more or are on rare.

So why not give the crafter and my self clearance to make batch items
and let us give them out randomly? This we can do and may solve the
current delema you are facing.

Put in the item creation panel a flag system so we can set it so
the new items if not role specific it can be transferred to an item shop
if flagged as owner/role then it wont get moved.

Could also have the items marked as land items (meaning made from that land
not land specific item) that way you can make item shops for each land that
could have those items returned to them.

for the crafter they could mark and item they create as LR/MB/necro/Golemus
depending on the player that requests it. This can also create another land
resource based on items.

I think that if the item was made using the Item Crafters interface, they should NOT be returned to a central dispatch location.

WP's are hard won(or so I am led to believe), and traded for these unique items. I would not want to come back to MD to find out that some noob is using the Elemental Amulet that I am associated with to breathe fire. It just doesn't seem right.

If they are common items(Gems, Land Items(Like the Accursed Branch or MB Tablecloth), or Resources) do what you will with them. Those items are not special, nor are they something that someone should care about.

[quote]
why:
to increase amount of items among active players, lower their value and increase their use. Tool shops could also be an option later where you would go an pick an axe to get some wood, and only after you get enough woodcutting skill you could get into woodcutters guild to be able to gather also other materials or manufacture things out of wood (for example). [/quote]

No...I like the rareness of items. And, if this woodcutting skill for the woodcutting guild idea goes through, I expect resources would be depleted because of noobs using them too much. Then prices for resources go back up and it makes it harder to use the cauldron.

No offense meant, veterans can be noobs too, not pointing fingers at new players.

Edited by Hedge Munos

• Root Admin

[quote name='Yrthilian' timestamp='1311853734' post='89007']
Hmm well as you say the items from the past belonged to those players.Ok yes they may not be on-line any more or are on rare.So why not give the crafter and my self clearance to make batch itemsand let us give them out randomly? This we can do and may solve the current delema you are facing.Put in the item creation panel a flag system so we can set it sothe new items if not role specific it can be transferred to an item shopif flagged as owner/role then it wont get moved.Could also have the items marked as land items (meaning made from that landnot land specific item) that way you can make item shops for each land thatcould have those items returned to them. for the crafter they could mark and item they create as LR/MB/necro/Golemusdepending on the player that requests it. This can also create another land resource based on items.
[/quote]

Trusting people not to monopolize items is... intresting. You already see the "store" of Memory stones where only two people can harvest them, Giving the crafters the power to effectively make whatever they want? hell no.

Generic items like land things should surely go back to the king or similar. An item such as "MB Tablecloth" cannot really be associated specifically to a player, its just a general item. Wheras "Wookie Slippers" are a rather specific item.

Its just like the horrific "avatar stealing" Taking items that people have worked for and paid for, To them randomly give them out because the person hasnt played for a year or so. For someone like me who hold items which only are of memorable values, and my avatar that no one else has ever worn, Makes me rather angry to think that becuase iv left for a longer period, to think these items will just be passed out to someone walking by or shoved into the shop where anyone else can have.

• Root Admin

i am currently thinking to slowly detach the tools from the guilds and keep guilds for other purposes related to that resource, purposes of a more managerial nature. For example if anyone could do a "woodcutting activity/job" then resources will be more open..but what could the guild do then to still be relevant and important... i want to keep the guilds yet spread their current gathering abilities to anyone (limited by wp, skill, etc).

One idea is that guild is the only one to assign tags related to its activity, give AND TAKE tools, etc. Monopoly over the role not the resource.

This leaves the Items in two distinctive groups.
The one group takes all the RP related items. Is there a problem to give kind of a check box for those, who are related specifically to each player's RolePlay? That way We can decide if, after one-two years of inactivity, this specific item could go on an auction of some kind.