Whisper in chat

Guillak

I don't know to what extent this would be [un]feasible:

Currently, when you need to tell something private to someone that stands just in front of you:[list]
[*]you send a PM;
[*]if you're courageous or you don't want to wait until the person receives the PM notification, you *whisper to the person*/*hand a scroll to the person* (which is strange because you generally don't put a 10-words long message down in writing if the person being spoken to is just before you. Unless you've-been-on-MD-too-much).
[/list]

How about gaining a bit interactivity by whispering directly in chat? It would be nice if you could chat privately with someone, while the others would either not see anything, or a simple automatic chat line like those you see when passing items etc.

This could be a nice addition to the advanced chat features in the MD shop, just like the [color=#4b0082]gossip feature[/color]. For instance, if I type:
<insert whisper command and recipient here> <my message>

... recipient would see (grayish?):
<my name here> whispers: <message>

... while all others would only see (grayish?):
<my name here> whispers to <recipient>

This would allow ghosts to whisper scary things to their victims too ...

Edited by Grido

[quote name='Liberty4life' timestamp='1327520340' post='102373']
only problem in here is, everyone would be whispering :D nobody talking, and dont forget about cyber issue....
[/quote]

Either we behave, or perhaps set a limited number of uses per day? Why not with additional uses to buy from the MD shop ...

only problem in here is, everyone would be whispering :D nobody talking, and dont forget about cyber issue....
[/quote]

Until someone forgets to whisper. :P And there would still be talk, just less of it.

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1327520928' post='102377']
seems pretty pointless. It will just mean less chat to see...
[/quote]

... which is all the more useful in crowded locations, when several independent discussions are happening at the same time and you have to eye-filter the noisy ones.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Guillak' timestamp='1327521844' post='102381']

... which is all the more useful in crowded locations, when several independent discussions are happening at the same time and you have to eye-filter the noisy ones.
[/quote]

Thats why if you are trying to talk to a specific person you move to a different location...

[size=4]

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1327522002' post='102382']
Thats why if you are trying to talk to a specific person you move to a different location...
[/quote]

If you intend to have a real discussion, sure, but you don't whisper whole discussions. The idea here is to make short bits of talks, for which you wouldn't care to move anyway, more fluent, not to replace the whole chat.[/size]

[/quote]

Not that I neccessarily believe cybering is okay, but I fail to see how this would be a problem if we could not see the written word publically anyway... unless of course certain players go on witch hunts to find such things with log spells.

As for how to prevent this, I would suggest setting a limited number of characters to the whispering function. Since 'whispering' would be used more or less for short notifications.

The benefits of whispering, that I see, is that it would bring more respect to actual roleplay. Instead of spamming the chat with nothing but OOC mumbo jumbo, people might actually stay in character more as opposed to talking OOC more.

Just my thoughts, oh and I edited to add a bit more.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

Just a quick thought. What if the people outside of the whispers were able to notice that there were whispers happening? So everyone else would see "*Laphers whispers to Guillak*" but they wouldn't see the message. Then people can see interactions taking place but not the content (unless the logs are pulled)

[quote name='Guillak' timestamp='1327518718' post='102358']
... recipient would see (grayish?):
<my name here> whispers: <message>

... while all others would only see (grayish?):
<my name here> whispers to <recipient>

[/quote]
Already suggested, Laphers

there is still much more work to be done on this idea

how to limit it from using it excessively and when not needed and how to prevent it from abusing, how whispers would display in chat, both privately and publicly, etc etc

its very very late so i cant think very good anymore, but i could find tons of things in here

after all this would be somethin in between pms and chat, so one should make it clear if he wants others to whisper him or not, and then how all this connect to rp, ffs in role sense why would you be lettin tons of strangers to come very close to you and whisper you somethin, maybe he would want to stick dagger in you :P just sayin, there should also be put some sort of ... allowance to whisper, somethin like authorization and add to contact list thingy that im clients have... (ofc we not makin new priv chat service we just ensuring that specific person is somebody who we allow to whisper us)

then more technical things like... some trades might go through whispers instead of pms, so if item/creat didnt get transfered instantly, somebody with accustic remains could snatch it, now... this isnt necessarily a bad thing since mur himself said there would be some stuff that would allow stealin... could this be first step for goin that way, or would transfer codes need to be censored from whispers

aw i could moan about hundred more things on this whisper matter, there is really tons of things to define in here before anythin is done, addin additional communication service is very hard thing to do properly imo

I support this idea, so long as: a) Logs can see whispers but also display clearly that it is a whisper (so that for legal matters to track abuses it doesn't get in the way, but when I am posting event logs I can remove the messages hidden behind the whispers); b) it is tied to the Reality Requirement feature.

nah, perfectly possible, it's possible in other games, so it can* be here as well, I believe it's done by typing "@Chewett whisper whisper" as what you type

*saying "can" not necessarily "should"

Edited by Grido