Small fun for bored people

Jubaris

Okay dudes and dudettes, let's make MD parallels with popular movies, books, games... Whatever you find appropriate, please do post.

For instance, Seekers of Enlightenment are clearly the Jedi...
Firsanthalas was clearly evil chancellor/emperor Palpatine (he fooled most of the former republic, but he didn't fool the JediZ!).

Hmmm... Akasha is Cercei... :D
Et cetera, et cetera...

Let the festivities commence!

SotIS Jedi knights? Instrument of an ancient Sith Lord's holocron?? I don't think so. Well, after Lifeline, SoE lacks adept duelists, but we have a good theoretical knowledge of the force, we are light, and we even get to see a dark outcasts every once in a while. :)
We even have Wookies!!!

I like the Jawas reference though :)

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

Some of the crew from my MD lord of the rings production:

Passant the weak - Frodo Baggins
Guillak - Samwise Gamgee
Yrthilian - Gandalf
Eon - Sauron
Sasha Lilias - Galadriel
Peace - Arwen
Sunfire - Aragorn
Lashtal - Elrond
Falron - Gimli
Flying Chipmunk - Pippin
Pipstickz - Merry
Valldore Nal - Legolas

You forgot the most important part, Z, though, yourself. You are Tom Bombadil.

[size=2]Small edit: Also, don't mind me, I don't want to interfere with your lists guys, I just can't help to add that I rather see Yrthilian as Saruman. Not in the sense of evil wizard sort of thing, but that aristocratic touch, obsession with collectibles and rare artifacts (which is kinda nice for me, I like that too)...[/size]

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

[quote name='Falronn' timestamp='1348342520' post='122274']
Dark Tower reference, we even have Roland in the realm.

Golemus/Loreroot = Gilead/Inworld
MB = Midworld
No Mans Land = Outworld
Necrovion/Deathmarrow = Endworld/Dark Tower[/quote]

Very interesting, but I would mix it up just a little bit, and the matching is still flawed the way I see it.

I would have put MB as Gilead, thecity that Once Was bright, but the world moved on.... yet since MB is one of the more populated area,s that doesn't quite hold up either...

Lets make Necrovion Gilead, since it was so important to History, and is now lost to Viscosity and such, and was the seat of such Great Dynasty under Peace's father, etc etc. . ;)

The other lands of MB, NML, and Loreroot are Midworld. GG I almost ALMOST see as either Lud or the Calla, but the connection there is feeble too.
Tribunal, is definitely Endworld, with Mur's dominion being pretty much Can'ca no Rey. We have not reached the Tower (throne) yet, after all, unless asked in by the Red-named-in-chat Crimson Mur.

But I like the perspective either way, regardless of which land is which.

As for Jedi. I have to agree with Rhaegar. Angiens are Midichlorians aren't they, and we all fight against our Dark Side? :)):P:rolleyes:

I'd make a personal correlation between the Avatar Airbenders. Golemus is obvioiusly all a buncha Fire benders. Loreroot are the solidly loyal earthbenders. MB would be waterbenders for more than one obvious reason, which leaves those Necrovions to be the last Airbenders.
(Note: I have yet to watch more than two episodes of the sequel with Korra, so my thoughts may change there. Waiting for disk set.)

[quote name='Rumi' timestamp='1348319258' post='122252']
What about that band of Jawas on Tatooine? TK :P
[/quote]

Im about to stab Rumi >x'D

The TK are clearly the Power Rangers :3

[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1348481152' post='122355']
I'd make a personal correlation between the Avatar Airbenders. Golemus is obvioiusly all a buncha Fire benders. Loreroot are the solidly loyal earthbenders. MB would be waterbenders for more than one obvious reason, which leaves those Necrovions to be the last Airbenders.
[/quote]

So the East is left as being Blood Benders? xDDD

What with how seperated and evil we seem to be? ^3^"

Edited by Fang Archbane

Z as Tom Bombadil? Seems legit.

How's about:

Peace - Queen of Hearts
Mya Celestia - Duchess
Metal Bunny - White Rabbit
Eon - Caterpillar
Ravenstrider - Cheshire Cat
Maebius - Mad Hatter
Ignnus - Knave of Hearts
Azull - King of Hearts

Too many Alices to name.

Edited by Etluc

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1348327843' post='122260']
SotIS Jedi knights? Instrument of an ancient Sith Lord's holocron?? I don't think so. Well, after Lifeline, SoE lacks adept duelists, but we have a good theoretical knowledge of the force, we are light, and we even get to see a dark outcasts every once in a while. :)
We even have Wookies!!!

I like the Jawas reference though :)
[/quote]

Necrovion is clearly the Sith! >:D I'd love to take the title of Sith Apprentice! Lol I'm already nicknamed "Darth" xD

[quote name='dst' timestamp='1350912745' post='124446']
Moll Flanders.
[/quote]

Dst, you are not very original. I am not even insulted, because I know who is saying it. And by the way, I never stole anything, so your cute remark is not even correct. Couldn't you find something more cruel? You really are much dumber than I thought.

• 2 years later...

Yeeey for reminder, I actually wanted to open up a similar topic again (forgot about this one).

Some people promised to put up a list, but forgot to edit their lists later on... *cough* Peace *cough*

Regarding lands, if any of you played Heroes of Might and Magic, I think you'll have an easy time comparing MD mainlands with Might and Magic factions (the story isn't that quality, but the gameplay is pretty nice, and has some common grounds with MD mechanics I guess, in combat especially, except that it's not a simulation, it's a turn-based strategy)

It's a game of stereotypes, not that genuine, but might help us improve some areas by looking at similar things. :)

Regarding lands, if any of you played Heroes of Might and Magic, I think you'll have an easy time comparing MD mainlands with Might and Magic factions (the story isn't that quality, but the gameplay is pretty nice, and has some common grounds with MD mechanics I guess, in combat especially, except that it's not a simulation, it's a turn-based strategy)

It's a game of stereotypes, not that genuine, but might help us improve some areas by looking at similar things. :)

If you are talking about the original universe... TAKE THAT BACK.

If however, you are talking about the new universe, then I couldn't care less :D

New universe, I've been playing Heroes online a bit... :D

From the franchise, my favourite part is Heroes 4, that part has the best music too, even though the game is regarded as a failure by most of Heroes fans.

Campaign was nice there, ambient was good, but I don't really remember the story, was not that imposing for some reason, maybe because your gameplay isn't that dependent of it, like in Warcraft3 for example where you have cutscenes all the time.

Anyhows, custom game is what Heroes was all about for me.

Man HoMM4 is best story. You are impatient and skipped through all the big scrolls that have such a good read that's why you don't remember anything.

Heroes online obviously sucks. It's just a moneymaking machine, zero value what so ever.

Cutscenes, meh! Read the story! -_-

As for Warcraft, ingame story is bad compared to Blizzard high standard, in war3 it was okay, but when it comes to warcraft, books are the best.

With custom games, you refer to just pure gameplay on random maps, or specifically tailored scenarios with a nice short story and plot? If it's first... meh...

There are several authors working on books for Warcraft universe, which is a first reason why I don't want to go into such stuff.

The story after Warcraft3 rapidly losses quality, the one used in WoW and such.

Usually those books cover the scenes already told by previous Warcraft iterations, made after the products release or before? If it's after, then it's a bigger no-no from me. 

Of course, these are superficial thoughts developed via small clues, since you seem to like those Wacraft books, I would appreciate your experience share from the whole matter.

In regards to Heroes4, I was indeed impatient, but that depended on numerous factors. I was originally introduced to heroes4 via skirmishes, rather than campaign, playing with some friends. Like I said, the ambient was nice indeed, and I did read lots of stuff there in my singleplayer (which was 99% of my gaming with Heroes), but in disconnected parts.

The fact that someone made the story so "aside the road" makes me think they didn't give enough effort to it, normal initial reaction, I also had a feel the story didn't have continuity but that it was made up for the background/ambient reason depending of the circumstances - that may or may not be true, just remembering a feel.

I was reading the plot for the scenarios, but it didn't play a big part in my gameplay, I was choosing scenarios with balanced play, where the computer would challenge, and where I would have the opportunity to develop my hero and army to see lots of fancy abilities and artifacts, etc.

The combat gameplay was really rich for me.

Story I was making up in my head, rather than enjoying the scenario plot line, seemed generic to feel good about it.

Eventually, I found out Emerald Arcanix loves Heroes4 too, so we played in multiplayer a dozen games maybe, was quite a fun ride.

And lastly, Heroes online lacks a lot of stuff, but it's fun in its own way. Still testing it, since there is a lot of people there, good opportunity for some non-computer battles, once I spend some time in PvP I will make some final conclusions about it. Not a serious game yet, but can be fun.

@Rophs: I remember Emerald talking highly about Baldur's Gate, was on the edge of giving it a try myself :P

Warcraft books don't cover anything from the game. They provide closer insight into some important events that are mentioned in games, or which led to the events of the game(s). For example War of the Ancients or early story of Tirion Fordring. Those novels aren't standalone, they are in there to connect otherwise barely connected lore.

I don't like H4 mechanics, I recently replayed it just because of nostalgia of the story. I did the same with Chronicles and H3. H2 had best mechanics in my opinion.

Oh and, Planescape: Torment is the absolute king of RPGs.