Locate spell not working

Fyrd Argentus

I'm looking at the person, spelling it right, the result is it says finding this person is beyond my skill to find. I tried person A with unknown place, person B I could see using all lower case, person B again with the right capitalizations.

I've recently rebooted, and not been on through the top of an hour yet.

Something's broken.

• Root Admin

[quote] the result is it says finding this person is beyond my skill to find.[/quote]

I wonder if this is important information lol

see the above comment, mind saying who exactly you are trying to locate? pm if not publicly.

As people have previously stated, the only reason that a spell gives the message "...beyond your skill..." is when they are indeed - I don't know of any reason why it would have been messed with (ain't broke, don't fix idea)

For locate that means game chars/lho/rpc(back in the day). For other spells, it could be because the spell is age dependant or other similar strict dependants.

Okay, I was first searching for blitzmole, a new MP3, who it turned out was trapped in GG and eventually teleported out.

I understand teleportation can mess things up. Uncertain.

To test the spell, I then tried it on magistra, then Magistra, who was sitting right there orange in Wind's Sanctuary - and doesn't move around a lot.

So I burned 3 casts. Is it WORKING for anybody else, before I test more?

Works for me.

[color=#000000]Locating [/color][b]Fang Archbane[/b][color=#000000] ...[/color]

[color=#000000]On 26/10/12 01:42:53 was at 1_0x2_1 [/color]
[color=#000000]On 26/10/12 01:43:00 was at 1_-1x2_1 [/color]
[b]On 26/10/12 02:07:32 was at 1_-1x3_1 --- Last known location![/b]

[color=#000000]Locating [/color][b]Avindeca Gol[/b][color=#000000] ...[/color]

[color=#000000]On 26/10/12 01:26:21 was at 1_0x0_1 [/color]
[color=#000000]On 26/10/12 01:26:25 was at 1_0x1_1 [/color]
[b]On 26/10/12 01:27:14 was at 1_0x2_1 --- Last known location![/b]

Fyrd Argentus continues to be unable to cast the locate spell.

Someone seems to have reset my spell words since I first posted on the forum about this issue. Reciting the words got chat, of course.
[Oh - they also gave me 48 casts to bug test, I guess. Thanks!]

I set up the words again, checked who was around not idle, and tried again like 5 minutes ago..... I got:

[font=Times New Roman]Locating [b]send a firefly after Esmaralda[/b] ...

[b]Unable to trace send a firefly after Esmaralda, your skill in this spell might be insufficient or the target is nowhere to be found.[/b] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman][This is a copy of note sent to bugs e-mail, per suggestion of crash-test-dummy][/font]

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

What's the spell you're saying, in full?

Cos the message you're getting makes it sound like the spell is trying to find a character named "send a firefly after Esmaralda", which clearly it won't find.

LE: Serves me right for having the topic open for ages and not refreshing before I reply...

Edited by Grido

spell words are "Send a firefly after" player is "Esmaralda"

This did used to work, and it does trigger the little side box for a report, so it knows it's supposed to do a locate spell.

I've rebooted my computer but not purged cookies -- I figured if it gets this far, it's not a problem with my cookies.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

Okay, more info. If you ask for somebody who doesn't exist you get:
----------------------------------
Locating [b]xyzplayer[/b] ...

[b]Unable to trace xyzplayer, your skill in this spell might be insufficient or the target is nowhere to be found.[/b]
--------------------------------------------
Notice that the spell words do not show up in the above note.

The spell does work for me now -- but I find it is [u][i]case sensitive in the spell words [/i][/u]but NOT case sensitive to the player name, and when it chokes on case sensitivity of the spell words is when it repeats back the spell words.

Specifically "Send a firefly after Voulgranth" works as advertised, but "send a firefly after Voulgranth" generates:
---------------------------------------
Locating [b]send a firefly after Voulgranth[/b] ...

[b]Unable to trace send a firefly after Voulgranth, your skill in this spell might be insufficient or the target is nowhere to be found.[/b]
[b]---------------------------------------[/b]
So the bug is triggered by the shift in case, and the mode of the bug has to do with string matching including the erroneous words.

Found the issue: locate IS spell sensitive.

I used your words as spell words.

First try (all small letters): everything worked fine when i cast the spell using small letters.
Second try (all small letters except one): didn't work when i cast the spell using only small letters.
Third try (all small letters except one): it worked when i took into account the capital letter.
Forth try - I've re-tested 2nd with the same result.