Resource location change

No one

@Mods: please change title to a more appropriate name. Thank you.

Another layout change another thing to complain.

It seems that the location of the resources are getting changed just under the scene.

Please don't move them there.Please open your browser in a 1024/800 or 1280/720 (for laptops) (I use 1600/900)

It will just make the page even more difficult to see.

Most of the time nobody cares about the resources, all you need is to read the chat.

Even for the chat I have to scroll down.

If you want a hint on where to post some more information , check this :

358b0iv.png

The resources fit perfectly just below "location" in the above attached picture.

Also, a cookie can be used to to remember the status of the tab (open / hidden).

Whatever you do, just move the resources back to the bottom of page.

Please see someone else's screen : my screen

There is simply no room for resources there.

Edited by No one

@Mods: please change title to a more appropriate name. Thank you.

It seems that the location of the resources are getting changed just under the scene.

PLEASE DON'T MOVE THEM THERE. Please open your browser in a 1024/800 or 1280/720 (for laptops).

Most of the time YOU DON'T CARE about the resources, all you need is to read the chat.

Even for the chat I have to scroll down.

Hmm, well, on my tablet, that sort of reolution is just not going to happen, I kinda like being able to scroll vertical, rather than horizontally.

And some people do care about Resources, as they are the very reason they are at a particular scene, to harvest them.

I could make the same sort of argument for grinders: "You Don't Care about chat, just who to attack", right?  

Many ways to play, many options, after all.  :)

Maebius: I do use the resources quite a lot, that is why I have the trigger box like that.

I can see all on the first page without scrolling to see

- who is online

- what resources are available

- what's the exact location (sometimes you need that too)

I don't know your resolution, but if you see the trigger box as you move, without scrolling, then my solution would be perfect for you too.

But the solution that fits us both is not for everybody as not many need to gather resources but move and chat.

It is not about ME. I don't care about how it looks for ME. I can fix that for me.

I care about how it looks to the rest of MD.

I made this topic to BEG to be moved to bottom of page. Yea, it is correctly written.

Also, as so many times before, when something is done/fished they usually say : "well, it's finished now, get used to it. Or wait until next change."

So? What do I have to lose ? Some reputation ?

At least I tried.

It's not something I'd open a topic about, but since it's there already I'll admit that I agree with No One on that.

With the resources moved I can either see the chat or the screen location.

I'll get used to it, no problem, but I do like seeing the graphics while taking part in RP. Stimulates imagination bit more.

Perhaps moving the resources section in new form below the chat would be possible?

As of now, it seems it is official :

Ann. 2627 - [2013-06-11 17:33:17 - Stage 12]

For now the resources in a location have been moved to a more prominent location below the scene image. Please leave feedback on this change on the forum.

As I stated above: It needs to be below chat.

As much as I use it, I don't want to see it there.

Vote :

- no, for the location

- ok, for design

- "-1" for being hard to read / find a certain resource in the list

Yea, we'll get used to it, but it is still my feedback.

Edited by No one

• Root Admin

"Most of the time nobody cares about the resources"

might be so now, but they start to be more and more used and about all aspects of future md development related to quests and such will need resources or items that in turn will somehow need resources at some point.

"It will just make the page even more difficult to see."

Current location (atm still in testing for the next 30min or so.."go go chewey!"), is above the unused spece from the scene bottom, making use of a space that was there anyway and remained blank after scene text vanished.

"The current new location interferes with scene couplets."

give exact coords if you find a scene that has clickables under the resources images/text

"Also, a cookie can be used to to remember the status of the tab (open / hidden)."

if you refer to the sidebar, yes in the future there could be an option to remember the state, currently is not that important, the gameplay requires little to no refreshing of the entire interface

The only thing I do mind is that I have to wait for the text to disappear to give space for the resources info. It's sometimes annoying to have to scroll/PgDown+PgUp at a particular scene, but in any way it takes much less time than the current situation.

What if the text and resources info show at the same time, one at it;s place now, and the other just below it. Then after the text expires it just blends and the resources info moves up. Or smth similar to this.

With all respect, no.

You either joking or you haven't been playing. I must incline for the latest. I was just hoping that you'd listen to Council or that Chewett would know better.

"Most of the time nobody cares about the resources"

might be so now, but they start to be more and more used and about all aspects of future md development related to quests and such will need resources or items that in turn will somehow need resources at some point.

With this statement, definitely you haven't been playing lately.

Have you checked my inventory lately ? Let me give you a peek :

3008 Aromatic herbs
2917 Tea leaves
2990 Toxic plants
2991 Unidentified plants
589 Water

Do you know how many herbs manged to get per day ? That I had averages over 100 ? Do you still think that I don't want the resources visible ?

I am one of those most interested in resources being visible. (just check/ask who everyone called a depleter for so much time )

"It will just make the page even more difficult to see."

Current location ...  is above the unused spece from the scene bottom, making use of a space that was there anyway and remained blank after scene text vanished.

The thing with resources appearing after a few seconds is even worst then occupying a so needed space above chat.

I propose that you Mur and Chewett get some Items and start collecting some resources .. for just one day.

When all you do is harvest resources all day long, you will see how annoying it is to refresh a page then wait another 5-10 seconds just to check if you can collect 1 or 2 resources before you can move along.

PLEASE harvest something for even 6 hours.

If keep on saying that you are doing this feature for those that gather resources (that means me too), then PLEASE move it at the bottom of page.

If you want ppl to collect less resources or to encourage the depletion ... be my guest, leave it as it is.

You have my feedback.

EDIT: I propose you to wait for a few days to see who is really interested in resources. They would / should either post something or "like" a post.

Edited by No one

Why can't there be an option somewhere that allows people to choose between showing them where they currently are or at the bottom of the page?

Because I believe that's a bit more complicated to code. I mean both ways.

My feedback: art work - yes, I like them, they look very good.

location - sucks

speed - double suck

But I am confident there are few ways out of this :D

after the

Current location (atm still in testing for the next 30min or so.."go go chewey!"), is above the unused spece from the scene bottom, making use of a space that was there anyway and remained blank after scene text vanished.

My feedback: art work - yes, I like them, they look very good.

location - sucks

speed - double suck

Artwork - very nice

Location - after the change Mur mentioned is taking tiny bit more space than with resources below the chat, so I like it now.

speed - bit slow, but I guess you can't have it in the same space as scene text and immediately... is there?

• Root Admin

hahaha...this is funny

on one hand you complain about nobody bothering about resources, on the other you say you can't collect them as easy as before ..

resource collecting is not intended to be a reflex speed test game. In fact if it would be possible i would add a time to collecting them as hooking into one resource and taking time to actually taking it, but requires too much work.

Some people see things as more clear when they are placed on a list, preferably large amounts of comparative numbers. MD is not within that spirit, in fact, the numbers are there because its too hard to make them numberless yet still manage-able. Not sure if you know what i try to say. Its like having amounts like "few - some - enough - plenty - lots" and having numbers like " 10 - 50 - 200 - 1000 - 5000".

My changes change the gameplay, they are not random, and as long as i consider them a step forward to make md more md they are good. I welcome feedback, but that doesn;t mean i won't reply like i do now when i think it is the case.

The point is simple.

- resources should be more proeminent as their use and support in the gameplay will increase

- the delay is both a graphical adjustment to fit with the fading text AND it is intended so you won;t see the resources imediatly when you enter the scene. Think of it, it actually makes sense, you enter in a place you don't imediatly spot the resin on a tree, you observe the tree first.

- the resource numbers are unbalanced now because resources are not used as they will be.

speed delay is intended..if you prefer a better integration i could bind displaying resources to HEAT, making them show slower if heat is higher and show faster if heat is low... sounds better?... it might be difficult to explain it in a reasonable fashion and confusing to new people.

speed delay is intended..if you prefer a better integration i could bind displaying resources to HEAT, making them show slower if heat is higher and show faster if heat is low... sounds better?... it might be difficult to explain it in a reasonable fashion and confusing to new people.

pro: mp3s will see them first :d so you can say that noobs have better eyes than fossils :P

con: players walking their own land will kind of curse this feature - you're supposed to be familiar with your territory so you should be able to see them right as you enter the scene.

I actually like this idea. For a bit of realism if you were running through an area and on the verge of a stroke, you shouldn't be able to grab herbs and stones and water and then continue running, you would have to take some time to cool off first and calm down. This also inscentivises taking a protector, to pray off the heat that is holding you back (then again protectors with thousands of heat constantly would need a fix for this).

As dst already pointed out. It'd mean that in your own land you're the last to notice resources. That makes little sense to me

I actually like this idea. For a bit of realism if you were running through an area and on the verge of a stroke, you shouldn't be able to grab herbs and stones and water and then continue running, you would have to take some time to cool off first and calm down. This also inscentivises taking a protector, to pray off the heat that is holding you back (then again protectors with thousands of heat constantly would need a fix for this).

I get quite a lot of heat with every step in Loreroot. 5 steps is max heat. 5 steps ain't really running...

So unless you want to deliberately penalize people with higher stats it's not perfect

Edited by Shemhazaj

Funny indeed.

on one hand you complain about nobody bothering about resources, on the other you say you can't collect them as easy as before ..

resource collecting is not intended to be a reflex speed test game. In fact if it would be possible i would add a time to collecting them as hooking into one resource and taking time to actually taking it, but requires too much work.

Some people see things as more clear when they are placed on a list, preferably large amounts of comparative numbers. MD is not within that spirit, in fact, the numbers are there because its too hard to make them numberless yet still manage-able. Not sure if you know what i try to say. Its like having amounts like "few - some - enough - plenty - lots" and having numbers like " 10 - 50 - 200 - 1000 - 5000".

1. If you haven't noticed, it takes about 10 minutes to collect 1 herb, do you think that I care that the actual "use" takes that much I my intention is to gather 100 of them ?

It would help with those that get 3 shared items of same kind to gather faster, but I lost interest in that either.

2. And standing still for 10 minutes you , most of the time, lose all heat. So, "making them show slower if heat is higher" it is pointless.

The only applicable place for heat is when you collect from your own land, because there you would get lots of heat by just moving.

And by doing that ... would be ... not even mean but cynical.

As for 3k limit for each ... yea, it is my personal achievement. Do you have problems with it ? :P

As a note: my final target is 5k of each by the end of the year (is someone doesn't mess too much with the system).

By the way Mur, do you really intend to do this game a RP game ?

If not, then why do say "resource collecting is not intended to be a reflex speed test game" ?

Why do you want to limit it ? What's the point ?

Isn't stat collecting a "reflex speed test game" ?

Edited by No one

Heat won't do the trick. I've toyed with that for a quest a while back, and heat control is very, very easy. You can have 0 heat all the time if you want to.