Forum Reputation System Poll

Zyrxae

What sort of reputation system would you prefer that the forum use?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've talked to Chewett and apparently the following reputation options are possible:

•    'Like' system—what we currently have. You can now view who likes what posts, by the way; thanks Chew!
    •    Positive and negative, transparent rep
    •    Positive only, transparent rep—almost the same as the like system, but you have to click to view who liked what
    •    Negative only, transparent rep
    •    Positive and negative, opaque—what we used to have
    •    Positive only, opaque
    •    Negative only, opaque
    •    No reputation system at all—means what it sounds like.

Transparent means you can see how people have voted on posts; opaque means you can't.

Options such as making negative but not positive votes transparent or vice versa aren't supported by the forum software.

Some discussion has already taken place on this topic, but it's been over a month and people's opinions may have changed.

Lastly: I have an opinion about this topic. If you consider this poll biased, say so and we can go from there.

A tiebreaker poll could be used in case of a runoff, but that may be unnecessary—we'll see.

Edited by Zyrxae

It's biased toward what the members want, which is probably not how the decision should be made.

What we want is biased by what we've seen -- the opaque +/- system with all the curiosity it causes.

Also, the +/- system with its implication for what neg rep means, making it less of a weeding tool and more of a way to express disagreement.

Edit:  This is not to say that you're WRONG...

Edited by Ackshan Bemunah

Voted for positive and negative transparent rep.

Also, the +/- system with its implication for what neg rep means, making it less of a weeding tool and more of a way to express disagreement.

I've always thought that negative reps meant that someone disliked the person, or they disliked the post. It's the same with positive reps. Let's say that I hate Poster A. Poster A makes a really great post, and while I like the post, I don't like the fact that it came from Poster A. So, I don't negative rep the post, but I don't positive rep it either. I like Poster B. Poster B creates a happy birthday thread for someone that says, "Happy Birthday, Poster C!" and I like Poster B's post.

Of course, this was before positive reps were transparent. With a transparent system, there will hopefully be less of people liking/disliking a post because of their like/dislike of a person.

Oh, and one more point. Please stop making my magicduel like Facebook. :(

Edited by Change

• 2 weeks later...

This is a forum, I don't see why a reputation system is needed. In my honest opinion, people get so wrapped up/worried about the reputation system and being "liked" that some people won't even post thier true opinions in fear of not being liked. Or even joining into opinions just so that they can feel like they are actually popular. If there was any kind of reputation it should be in game and on characters based on how the characters themselves are. Not based on every random post someone makes. It's just silly to me.

This is a forum, I don't see why a reputation system is needed. In my honest opinion, people get so wrapped up/worried about the reputation system and being "liked" that some people won't even post thier true opinions in fear of not being liked. Or even joining into opinions just so that they can feel like they are actually popular. If there was any kind of reputation it should be in game and on characters based on how the characters themselves are. Not based on every random post someone makes. It's just silly to me.

Sounds exactly like real life to me. Some people say things just to be "liked" while others don't say their true opinions because they fear that they'll be disliked.

Why on earth people would not tell their real opinion because of reputation...

I see no real problem. People should have the guts to tell what they think. You guys think I like everything Mur, council, coders, do with the game? Or how stuff are managed? No. Sometimes I strongly dislike them... Fortunately I dont stay silent and if I dislike something i discuss it properly and directly to that person. I expect people to do the same on MD. This is why it is "PLAYER BASED" and why it evolves with "YOUR ACTIONS". Dont expect anything to evolve if you are afraid of telling what you think, because maybe what you suggest is what admins were looking for a long time, or what would lead to major changes.

You see he have the guts to tell what he thinks!! :D  That's the idea!

I'm just saying that I know a few people that are too scared to post on forums in fear of getting a bad reputation...Even when it comes to posting bugs they won't post them for this fear. I think having a reputation system in forums is just an overal bad idea.

• Root Admin

I'm just saying that I know a few people that are too scared to post on forums in fear of getting a bad reputation...Even when it comes to posting bugs they won't post them for this fear. I think having a reputation system in forums is just an overal bad idea.

it only appears on your profile page and those who care about it are silly. Also anyone that has been on the forum for a short period can easily see that reputation is directly correlated with post numbers. Check it yourself :)

If one of the people you describe is magistra, then racially abusing a whole continent is definitely the way to go to get negative reputation and a ban.  I dont think anyone has anything to worry about here.

Also anyone that has been on the forum for a short period can easily see that reputation is directly correlated with post numbers. Check it yourself :)

Challenge accepted. It ends up being something like "the longer you stick around and talk, the more opportunity people have to form an opinion of you one way or another". (The graphs and simple regressions will get their own topic in due time..)

Meanwhile, this has been up for a good while and the majority opinion received more than half the votes. Based on this poll, I recommend that the forum switch to a system of transparent positive and negative reputation.

Final tally:

1. "Like" system (current) (4 votes [10.26%])
  2. Positive and negative, transparent rep (22 votes [56.41%])
  3. Positive only, transparent rep (0 votes [0.00%])
  4. Negative only, transparent rep (1 votes [2.56%])
  5. Positive and negative, opaque (what we used to have) (7 votes [17.95%])
  6. Positive only, opaque (1 votes [2.56%])
  7. Negative only, opaque (0 votes [0.00%])
  8. No reputation system at all (4 votes [10.26%])

It seems to be missing one option:

"No reputation display at all but +/- for each post"     <----- I vote for this one.

The negative feedback is imperative for a correct system. Otherwise the one that gives the "-" would have to "spam" the topic for each post he "dislikes".

• Root Admin

It seems to be missing one option:
"No reputation display at all but +/- for each post"     <----- I vote for this one.

The negative feedback is imperative for a correct system. Otherwise the one that gives the "-" would have to "spam" the topic for each post he "dislikes".

Feel free to write an invisionzone addon to permit this, this is not one of the selected options and i will not have time to write it myself anytime soon

Clear +/- reputation has been put onto the forum.

All members should be able to see who has given them reputation, if you havent your permissions are broken for that subset of groups, and please PM me to tell me you cant.

dont work like you sai it does

i wont message, as i am instructed to not message bug to you ... (remember?)

Edited by Tom Pouce

• Root Admin

dont work like you sai it does

i wont message, as i am instructed to not message bug to you ... (remember?)

Then i cant fix it, if you are not going to do what i specifically asked and be offensive in doing so, then i cannot help you.

The difference between you repeatedly asking me questions LHO's should be asked, and really simple ones at that, is MUCH different to me asking you to PM me if there is an issue.

Send it to any other mod then Tom, they wont be able to help you though. Edited by Chewett

All members should be able to see who has given them reputation:>> dont work for me

its like it was 6 month ago before all various changes

be offensive?:>>   i dont see how i may have been offencive

How are you trying to view the votes?

before last change if there was some voting like  , i was seeing xxxx and yyy like it

now i dont see any such comment, in post that before last change where saying such an message, now i just see an number like it was 6 months ago, before all those changes

(and its weither i am log in or not) ... is there some special button to puch to see something?

Edited by Tom Pouce

before last change if there was some voting like  , i was seeing xxxx and yyy like it

now i dont see any such comment, in post that before last change where saying such an message, now i just see an number like it was 6 months ago, before all those changes

(and its weither i am log in or not) ... is there some special button to puch to see something?

Click the button showing the reputation.

Clear +/- reputation has been put onto the forum.

All members should be able to see who has given them reputation, if you havent your permissions are broken for that subset of groups, and please PM me to tell me you cant.

I would like to thank you Chew in name of many people. Once again you and MD admins have shown that MD is a player based community and hence the actions of the community make things evolve.

Yes people, I keep telling this, but I really want to point out that it is you as a community member who have the power to change all the things you dislike. Yes, speak up! Have better ideas than the ones council, chew or Murry or any admin implemented, post them in forum! Share them with all of us. You have the power of making MD evolve, You have the power to change all the things, so what you are waiting for? Shoot your ideas away! :)

Once again thanks Chew and forum Mods for the great work with forum, even if I annoy you guys a lot some times I still love you all :)