Goals

Zyrxae

What are some specific in-realm goals of yours, things you'd like to make happen but for whatever reason haven't taken shape yet in-game?

Big or small, personal or alliance/land-centered or cubal. Preferably more concrete (not necessarily this concrete, though they certainly could be) than abstract—things you could see rather than just feel.

The question is meant as akin to a cross between this topic and this one: MD-based like Chew's, but—unlike that topic, which ended up with mostly whole-game suggestions that will take significant time and effort to balance—things here are meant to be at least loosely based on a specific person or group ("based on" "limited to"; AL events were based around certain people but preferably not limited to only involving a set group) and closer to being partially (but by no means necessarily completely) feasible by a dedicated person or group of non-coders.

Another way to put it: where would you like to take your part of MD?

Well I would like to get better at fighting. Also the biggest thing is developing a very deep character personality that I can be proud of and that fits with me. I hope to do lots of puzzles and uncover some of the oddities of MD

One of my goals in this realm is to be one active, long-term Protector someday.

Not only to serve my dear land, Marind Bell, and its people, but also give relief to and aid in making MD lives of the small people easier, and most the important, contribute to improving community effort in terms of using existing legislator items.

Nothing wrong with the posts above, but for clarification's sake, examples of things people have done/attempted to work towards in the past, in no particular order:

Zleiphneir & co. guarding Bob

The dojo/the sparring grounds

The creation and 3(+?) attempts at return of the Children of the Eclipse

Fire Starter's Cloud & chawan

MD University

A bit broad, but still fitting

The GGG, whatever you think of it

Many people's independent or interdependent research efforts (Bootes, Shadowseeker, Rendril..too many to name)

Rumi and now Menhir: Community Garden

Innocence: MD-Archives leadership

tankfans/The Warrior seeking to fix the Oak Fort

Cryxus' pirate crew

Eon's rise to power

Samon seeking to become an alchemist

Various incarnations of Story Night

No one's resource mastery

Grido/Akasha/other Golemians having wanted to fix the Ivory lighthouse

Those who would become the Seekers of Enlightenment contacting the angiens

and certainly the Adventure Log.

Some of these fell short of what their originators had hoped for them, but others have left a lasting legacy. Who out there is standing in the wings?

Maybe a forum topic feels like the wrong place for this, but then maybe not. If this topic ends up as a rhetorical question to you all, I suppose that's okay, too.

--

Edit because apparently this isn't coming across:

This isn't some out-of-the-blue Question of the Day!! thing; it's very relevant to the recent discussions of fairness and favoritism. We should be able to prove ourselves in the eyes of enough of the community to lessen accusations of unfair privileges granted. (Personally, I've rarely disagreed with Mur's recent selection of so-called favorites whose names I know, but since transparency seems to be such a sticking point for others, it's another why-not-post reason here.) People get selected for things

Mur/Council base their decisions of who gets what on the potential people show/what people have done already, respectively, somewhat. Each method has flaws: rewarding people for their potential rather than their achievements to date does not necessarily encourage follow-through on those people's part, but only rewarding people who meet certain inscrutable criteria leaves the less than highly motivated among us feeling like our actions don't really affect the world.

Whatever happened to enjoying the process of working with others toward a common goal with lasting effects on the whole realm?

Edited by Zyrxae

My old goal (as Falronn) was to free the aramors, after Abra talked to me one day and gave me the task. I tried for a while, but got stalled due to some real life complications and eventually lost interest.

It's not something I could do on my own, and I tried to recruit help (know others who did too). I think it's something like this we need. Something big, and community wide, that could last a long time. And in my opinion something research related, because that tends to promote more personal growth.

I have another much more secret goal... Heheheh...

Edited by Mallos

One of my very very longterm goals has been to make a sustaining quest that people would actually like to participate in.

The root (hehe) of it would be that I have bubbles and lack the ability to move.  Aka - bring me back things from other places.  But I have never made it convincing enough for people to actually do this.

For instance I tried to convince Hedge to make maps for me... but that fell flat.

I dreamed once of spreading seeds all over the realm, and having fruits brought back to me (metaphorically and literally) - but this has yet come to pass.

Awi

"Mur/Council base their decisions of who gets what on the potential people show/what people have done already, respectively, somewhat. Each method has flaws: rewarding people for their potential rather than their achievements to date does not necessarily encourage follow-through on those people's part, but only rewarding people who meet certain inscrutable criteria leaves the less than highly motivated among us feeling like our actions don't really affect the world."

so this thread is for what? rewarding people for their potential

or

what they have done?

and personnal goals or like i seem to read your tone only community projects?

I have seen for many months community effort to make revive easy item (Fyrd .... and much support posts in forum, and even offer of contribution) so what , i am not aware of any results

we have also the my role or something like that forum section

personnal papers  ,,, with wish list ... and we are suppose to include accomplishoments

free the aramor, we saw  that for if i remember for 1 month+, with postings in forum, and an kind of roleplayng at ivoroy tower if i remember

so you  see this thread for what?  personnal rewards? or change in MD story-mechanic? (ex. revive tool or aramor)

an kind of voting like the concil thread of making selfish wish? (that they did once)

if its that its more likely that those older with more contacts or in better view or popular will get there wish (not to say thay they would not be wortly of getting it)

Edited by Tom Pouce

MD is a lot less fun than it was when I previously played (abt 2.5 years ago is when I stopped) and I constantly seek to make this game more fun, oftentimes it feels  'dead' to me compared to how it was before when someone could find maybe 20 people at SG, 5 as PC, 20 at GoE, 5-10 at DQ, and 20-30 at GGG, now there isn't always someone at the SG, the DQ was empty last I visited to it, the GGG got disbanded loooong ago.

MD isn't what it used to be and I want to somehow make it more fun.

Edited by Rophs

I have big plans for The Archives.  Some are too ambitious but others are simpler.  Some little stuff has been done, but most of it I've been putting off too long.  But now's as good as any time to start.  I'll probably post in more detail at a later point, but for now, come talk to me if you want to know more.

For starters, I'm going to be converting the entries at the MagicDuel Archives (http://md-archives.com/) to markdown files.  In combination with Pandoc, a universal document converter, this'll allow us to experiment with different formats.  For example, I have in mind a bundle of illustrated PDFs (via Pandoc's support for converting to LaTeX) or a wiki (the tool also supports converting to MediaWiki syntax).  At this moment I'm trying to determine how to structure frontmatter, so we can label the content with author, categories, and other tags.

I'm rambling a bit, but hey, won't you come and help?  Ivorak (as in, my character) will be sitting in the Indexed Room of Memories while I am working on this, for the next couple hours (it's day 211, hour 00:30 at time of post).  If I'm away from keyboard, just shoot me a PM with any questions you might have.  

P.S. If any actual Archivists read this, I'd like to talk.  Haven't seen any of you around lately and want to know what you're up to (and make sure I'm not stepping on any toes).

Update: Started with a content inventory instead.  There's a lot more in there than I remember so I didn't even finish that yet.  But it's here if you want to see it: http://ge.tt/9N6O3Nn/v/0.  Will resume work tomorrow.

Edited by Ivorak

Tom, you raise valid points.

so this thread is for what? rewarding people for their potential
or
what they have done?

Neither; it's for encouraging people to a) realize that they do care about things and b) get others to care about those same things enough to effect non-stagnation in MD.

and personnal goals or like i seem to read your tone only community projects?

Both; people with personal goals often need help to reach those goals, making community projects.

I have seen for many months community effort to make revive easy item (Fyrd .... and much support posts in forum, and even offer of contribution) so what , i am not aware of any results

This a big part of why I asked about this. Fyrd—no offense meant to him—has tried for a while to organize the community to various ends, but most of these projects fell short of his and others' hopes.
Several people here have mentioned efforts they've made that haven't succeeded. But failure's educational: the better we understand why past efforts didn't succeed, the better we can plan for future successes.

I imagine MP6 as a way for a bunch of people to organize around a leader who is working towards a certain cause.

I'd like to see some protectors with targeted agendas. People who wield as much (literal) heat as they do should have more influence on the realm than most protectors seem to exert currently.

MD isn't what it used to be and I want to somehow make it more fun.

This is what this topic is for.

Something I heard once: "It doesn't matter what direction a fish swims so much as that it swims away from where it is right now."

For us, it doesn't matter exactly what our goals are so much as that we work towards something/some things that we find meaningful and believe will enrich someone's (maybe just their own; that's fine, too) experience here. There's no shortage of possible goals that would make MD better if people chose to chase them. Apathy—going through your day without heading anywhere in particular—is our greatest enemy.

Many people don't seem to see this as a problem. To these people I would ask:

What do you think is the problem, if not apathy?

This is not just about having goals in MD or a role. For me it´s about: 

1. Why am I here? 

2. How do the answer for 1. fit with the game mechanics + community + possibilities in MD?

3. What am I able to do in MD and how much do I judge MD + the community + council + Mur?

4. How much time do I like to invest to get what the answer of 1. says?

5. ...

6. ...

7. ...

The list can go on and on. 

My observation is that we all judge what happens around us - in real life and so here too. That´s not a bad or destructive thing - but what we do with the judging afterwards makes the difference. 

Am I someone who´s blaming others for something which is not working or developing into the "wrong" direction? Or Am I willing to be a part of the change I want to see?

Am I some one who always see´s the glass half empty or half full?

We all need to work on ourselfs first and this is were we are different and we need to come closer together. The more we judge each other in a destructive not supportive way the more we are drifting away from each other as a community and as the base of this fantastic Magic Duel. Because it´s crystal clear that not MD is the "pro-blem" - MD is living because of it´s people and not the other way around. So we make MD what it is. As it is since some time, that most of us are not doing very well when it comes to MD. 

I hope you can see this as "facts" and not as judgement about you - I include myself in every single statement I made above. Once again I realize that we are all strong if we are working together at one goal and that the other side of this coin is what we observe very often in RL too. Things fall apart when the glue is fading away.

So I´d like to be a part of MD and with the time I have I will try to get my role a face (which I did not so far) and get more involved into making people more active. I´m still thinking of how we could advertise MD in a bigger scale and I do not mean voting - @Chewett I have to come back to you with my idea of using sozial media and youtube (sorry that I did not so far).

• 2 weeks later...

@ No one

I would like it to be a guild for people who like to write irl. (I am a published author in my country.) The writing should be about MD or a general subject, but not about real life! Poems, stories, whatever. I am thinking about getting togheter once in a week or month, and discuss what we created. :D

@ No one

I would like it to be a guild for people who like to write irl. (I am a published author in my country.) The writing should be about MD or a general subject, but not about real life! Poems, stories, whatever. I am thinking about getting togheter once in a week or month, and discuss what we created. :D

Check out Change's  "Coloured Paper"  project too, which might be perfect to cooperate with and grow!  

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13927-the-coloured-paper/

My goal, now is to work on one more Big Quest and make it a Permanent part of MD landscape.  :)