Dream of an industry or a tiredness aberation

No one

There are a few concepts used here :

•  time spent on creation of items ---> this should add real value to item creation
  •  creation of items using creatures ---> would require that ppl would have to change their creatures from time to time, unless you can send them to a holiday before they are worn out :P
  •  workplaces  ---> specific locations (work sanctuaries) required for creating of items that would allow "teamwork" to speed up
  •  combination between created items and resources or other items ---> this would open the realm for any number of recipes
  •  realm being affected by items (see the bricks)

Also, the "magic CTC" can have a real use:

The working creature concept should open the usage of the "magic CTC" that would allow ppl to lend their creatures to others to be put at work. Warning: these creatures should not be able to be sold / upgraded / used in battles and should be transferred only to original owner.

This "magic CTC" could be created when you as original owner "mark/unmark" next to CTC the "create MCTC". That could be done only if not already a MCTC of another user. MCTCs should not change on transfer allowing the recovery of the creature. Warning: creatures recalled while in the middle of creating of a recipe will make the recipe fail.

So, this is the table of contents for below:

1. New resources and locations
  2. Recipes with just resources
  3. Recipes with items
  4. Creatures at work
  5. Working places
  6. Time spent at work for creating stuff
  7. Team work for creation of items
  8. Work load
Edited by No one

New resources and locations

- Clay (Eternal Toiler --- that looks like dry clay; new locations can be placed wherever there is dirt or deserted land)

- bones at each altar -- this could be understandable and has been told before

-

Edited by No one

2. Recipes with just resources

This will combine the resources to turn them to new items which could turns to spells ... something like memory stones.

Also, multiple recipes can be allowed for same result.

• clay adding some water and lots of heat --- creates bricks
    • 3 clay, 1 water, 20 k heat ---> 4 bricks (of 1 use ) or 1 brick (of 4 uses)  (for DB's sake)
    • could be used to increase viscosity , lets say by 10, but not more then maximum viscosity
  • goop & bones --->  build scary amulets
    • each would grant 3 spells / uses that can provide protection against any attack for about 10 minutes (visible in trigger box, perfect for war, HC, BHC & MP3)
  • 1 herb of each + water -> paper
  • water, branches, goop ---> doll
    • grant 3 uses with effects like a burst
  • water, branches, goop, colored paper ---> voodoo doll (recipe version 1)
    • grant 3 uses with effects of intoxicating somebody (like the seed does)
Edited by No one

3. Recipes with items

Some recipes can / should work with other items (resulted from other recipes)

• colored paper, doll ---> voodoo doll  (recipe version 2)
    • grant 3 uses with effects of intoxicating somebody (like the seed does)

• heat, 1 herb (important to be of any kind), a voodoo doll, a memory stone (3 uses) ---> enchanted voodoo doll
    • on use of the v.doll, it will cast both the intoxicating and all the spells that were enchanted
    • this could create powerful items by being able to enchant up to (lets say) 5 spells into one voodoo doll
  • fire(see below at drachorns)+ lumber + heat  ----> charcoal  ----> i haven't though of a use yet
    • as in tea recipe, a minimum of 10k heat is required (granting 8 seconds of fire) and will decrease over time.

• adding more initial heat will increase the time of fire

• you can add 1 lumber to create 1 charchoal --- with a cooldown of 5 minute (will limit the easiness of creation of this item)

• fire + heat + water + stone --> iron
    • as in tea recipe, a minimum of 10k heat is required (granting lets say 8 seconds of fire) and will decrease over time.

• adding more initial heat will increase the time of fire

• you can add 1 stone and 1 water to create 1 iron --- with a cooldown of 5 minute (will limit the easiness of creation of this item)

• iron can be used to buy special armors & weapons from the blacksmith or to upgrade the current ones (Medusa Ceremonial Armour, Sun God Armor, Tribe's Man ...) by lets say 20 % up to 3 upgrades.

More to come

4. Creatures at work

Another idea is to put the creatures to work. I mean that some creatures (depending on groups / categories) can work on stuff and depending on their lvl, it could give more uses / better items.

Also, creatures should not be able to work on an infinite number of items. They should be limited. An idea on that is like this :

• a lvl 3 creature can be used for lets say 20 items
  • growing a creature to lvl 4, would multiply the number of items it remained to be created at previous lvl by a factor of 2(so a lvl3 with just 2 uses left, at lvl 4 would have 4 uses)
  • growing at lvl 5, would again double the remaining uses
  • at max lvl of 7, it would be a 20 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 320 items -> should be enough as incentive to grow a new creature to this lvl

Lots more ideas can be added here as each creature can know to work on multiple recipes.

Maybe a recipe can use the work of 2 or more creatures for a longer period - but cannot be used in more then 1 recipe at one time.

So, the creature could do this :

•  archers (LR & heretics)  + lumber ---> bows (no uses, out of a maximum of 100 uses)
    • time to work  ----> 3 days (1 lumber / day => 3 lumber / 1 bow)
    • each bow usage would grant the archer's attack of 10-20% (new bow usage will just replace previous effect) like an aura would do
    • a bow can be used if it has bows (no necessary if it is filled up). Each bow usage would decrease the number of arrow added to bow and the number of uses left)
  •  archers (LR & heretics)  + 10 branches ---> arrows ( 10 arrows / day )
    • time to work  ----> 1 day (10 branches / day => 1 branch / 1 arrow)
    • to be used to fill up the bow until that one is used up --> will reduce the number of items in inventory & number of steps & checks in code
  • drachorns + 12 k heat jars  + 1 branch ----> fire
    • time to work  ----> 1 day
  • elementals & water beings + water + 1 herb of each kind (in total 4 herbs)  ---> would create on choice a potion

• a toxic potion ---> like intoxicate of seed

• a counter toxic potion ---> to stop & prevent intoxication for 10 minute

• a few other potions

• time to work  ----> 2 days

• angiens & 4 paper ---> teleport to GoE (1 item - 4 uses)

• tainted angiens & 4 paper ---> send to chaos (1 item - 4 uses)

5. Working places

Specific work places

- cutting table      - to be used for cutting for example herbs, papers by angiens, popes ...

- steel anvil         - to use with fire and iron (see drachors, iron, charcoal) ...

- cauldron           - for work with water, herbs (see the elementals & water beings, popes and so on) ...

- saw-bench       - for use with lumber, brenches (see archers) ...

- luxurious table - maybe we could build something from all that silver and gold we carry.

The idea is to have specific locations to build some recipes.

Why ? Because there are so many possible recipes.

These locations should allow you to choose what recipe you'd like to prepare and to guide you through.

Also, these specific locations would lead to the next to ideas : "time spent at work for creating stuff" and "team work".

6. Time spent at work for creating stuff

There is also the required time to spend at one location that has to be thought of.

You cannot create a sword in 5 minutes nor the charcoal / iron is created in seconds.

So, each resource you use should have a "on use" time (for fairness should be half the time used by the shared items to gather it: water : ~4 minutes, stones ~33 minutes, and so on). So, combining 4 water items and a stone would require a total of 4x4 + 1x33 = 49 minutes.

The time spent on creating stuff and tying creation of items on specific places would force ppl to move to those places and to stay there for certain amounts of time.

Also, having long times on item creation would give real value to items (time is money).

Ppl might dedicate themselves to just creating items. That will require their time in a similar amounts as to the gatherers.

Trade agreements could arise between ppl or groups of ppl.

7. Team work for creation of items

Some item creation could require being in a single location for hours.

To create the atmosphere of teamwork and thus to speed up the work, it could be created something like viscosity but on "work places". Lets call it "teamwork".

Meaning that if a workplace is used by one person in a period of 24 hours, it will decrease the "teamwork" by 10% for the next 12 hours. This will say that 2 persons can keep the "teamwork" there at 10% all day. 4 persons can get it to 20% and so on until 70%.

This "teamwork" will reduce the time needed for creating items by the percent of "teamwork".

For example : 49 minute @ 50%  ~ 25 minutes or real time spent.

8. Work load

In order to prevent an overload of MD with certain items, some limits can be applied.

Like:

• during a day, a certain number of items can be worked on. Lets say 5. In MD shop, you could buy an item with about 5 uses that will increase the number of items that can be worked on a day by 5 meaning that you could work for 5 + 5x5 = 30 items a day. And that should be maximum (30). But you can also use those 5 uses like 1 per day allowing you to create only 10 items per day.
  • during a day, you should not work 2 times on the same item or item type. Meaning that you would only be able to create just one set of "arrows" per day.

Also, a list of items you are still working on should be available like this:

Today's work (10 items allowed / 3 items worked on / queue is 4)

1. item X : 2/3 days - worked

2. item Y : 1/4 days  - worked

3. item Z : 2/3 days

4. item Q: 1/1 days - worked - completed

• 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

I really like this, all of it actually (perhaps with some tweaks :P). Thanks to no one for bumping this idea (on a PM exchange) so i shall bump it publically.

Specifically the "work places" bringing people together with teamwork. I really want to try and add a lot more recipies into the game so that resources are actually used. The recent item combiners makes recipes much easier (instead of having to do all the talking in chat you can just combine things and get an item) so this is on my list of "to do". I also love the idea of creatures working to do things. Makes sense when we have creatures that produce resources.

Is there anything people think is a "really good" idea and that should be worked on first? This is a massive list and some items are going to take considerable amount of time I would quite like to do it all in some form or another.

For me, the thing Im probably going to focus on first will be adding more recipes into the game using these new item combiners.

Anyone else want to comment on the idea? I only see two people lol.

This is great, No One, and I can't believe I forgot about it after first reading it.  

Two quibbles for starters:

1. "Voodoo dolls", if implemented, should be called something else, perhaps"effigies".  "Voodoo" is too specific to a real world culture.
  2. Some further thought might be prudent before implementing anything to do with having creatures labor.  I remember Mur writing about how creatures were not physical beings  (http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/186-what-are-the-creatures-that-fight-for-you/) but a sort of spirit that we formed a symbiotic relationship with.  Then again, the DracHorns in their lair look pretty real to me, as do the Empty Aramors clambering around Golemus Golemicarum (on yet another hand, I'm not sure of the relationship between Aramors and Empty Aramors).  If creatures aren't physical, they can still possibly be treated as if they imbue us with the the skill or knowledge for crafting certain items, but sacrificing them should only yield fenths and not bones.

• Root Admin

1. Some further thought might be prudent before implementing anything to do with having creatures labor.  I remember Mur writing about how creatures were not physical beings  (http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/186-what-are-the-creatures-that-fight-for-you/) but a sort of spirit that we formed a symbiotic relationship with.  Then again, the DracHorns in their lair look pretty real to me, as do the Empty Aramors clambering around Golemus Golemicarum (on yet another hand, I'm not sure of the relationship between Aramors and Empty Aramors).  If creatures aren't physical, they can still possibly be treated as if they imbue us with the the skill or knowledge for crafting certain items, but sacrificing them should only yield fenths and not bones.

If creatures are not physical, how can we gather skin from grasans and such?

I would think this later addition, has changed the viewpoint somewhat.

Resources are not physical either...hence the lack of stacking.  I think this came up somewhere too.

Items, I'm not sure.

It doesn't follow from both being nonphysical that creatures can strengthen resource presence...there has to be another justification.  Grasan attitude does indeed cause one to have a good sense of the..."ferment" and "dried skin" of the world.  

Similarly you would have to justify a creature being able to directly help to create an item.  Attitudes can lead to "items" but usually it's not direct, but rather facilitated by experience, input..."heat," I guess.

From Ivorak:

1. Then again, the DracHorns in their lair look pretty real to me, as do the Empty Aramors clambering around Golemus Golemicarum (on yet another hand, I'm not sure of the relationship between Aramors and Empty Aramors).  If creatures aren't physical, they can still possibly be treated as if they imbue us with the the skill or knowledge for crafting certain items, but sacrificing them should only yield fenths and not bones.

Since posting this idea in that thread, I've come to wonder why the drachorns specifically get represent in a scene, and the tiny men...Right now it seems to me like the "chained-down drachorn, held by tiny men" is indeed a part of everyone's heart, and a very important one.  And even though finding a reason to harness the drachorn attitude can come from unleashing the drach, there is still always one that's tied down in the lair.

Similarly, there is always an untouched angien egg, even when we find a reason to harness the attitude of the hatched angien.

Edited by Ackshan Bemunah

The way I see it, it's all about the Wiiya.   Raw identity itself is a powerful force to make 'stuff' become mroe real, in the same way that Fenths are raw matter, using the energy/symbolism of a creature that we've imbued with our own history/fight/etc to become "stuff".   potential to kinetic energy, in a sort of sense.   But this is getting off topic!

On topic, I do rather like the suggestions No One mentioned.  Specifically the time-based ones.
For Creatures making things,  I always read this suggestion in the format of the current "Creature Totems" being used as spiritual effigies/fenths of that creature's energy pattern, and thus would be the actual ingredient for the recipe.   So you'd need to Totemize the pattern into static form before utilizing it into a 'recipe'.    Otherwise, it's too dynamic a concept, in my mind.  

(this relates to Ackshan Bemunah's comments above, in that in general There is ALWAYS an Egg on the angien shrine, a drach chained in the lair, etc etc.   Using "crit energy" in a recipe might need us to cement it's form/function more "real")