MD Awards 2013 - Help and Discussing

Grido

Well it's that time of year again, time for the MD Awards 2013.

Before we get on with this year, I just want to check whether there's anyone still due a medal from any previous years? I know there was a delay last christmas, so I wanted to check if we got everyone.

First off with the help, as with previous years, myself and dst will be organising this, and we would again like a third person to assist us. The person should have been around long enough so that they've been to at least one previous MD Awards and therefore know the way it works. Whoever ends up with the position will not be able to be nominated for any category. Naturally you should be around for he christmas period for the event itself, no exact date has been set yet though. There will no doubt be a bit of hassle, but it will hopefully give you a warm glow afterwards as well! If you're interested please message dst and myself with your playername and active days and we'll get back to you in a little under a week from today.

Discussion wise, there wasn't much feedback from the event last year, aside from the late medal giving - I already have the medals for this year so I will be able to give them out during the ceremony this year without any delays. The discussion from the start of last year's awards can be found here.

All aspects of the awards are up for discussion up until the point each part begins. The exact categories and nominees will be discussed in separate threads to this, but the total amount of categories or min/max nominees for each category might be discussed here.

Information relating to how the awards will run as it currently stands;

[spoiler]
- There will be a maximum of 15 categories.
- The previous categories will be listed in a thread, and players can then argue for different ones to be added/removed - if players agree, then it will be so.
- Certain categories have relevant restrictions on them, these can be changed/created/removed, but only prior to nominations opening.

- There will be 3 people counting votes and organising this. These people will not be able to be nominated, however they are able to vote.
- You may not nominate those who belong to the same land as yourself (this not only means hard-coded, but also those people considered part of certain lands). "This is an MD awards event, if a person deserves one of the awards, it is on the global level, not on local level, however capable the person is, which justifies the ban of the land nominations , possibly votes too".*

- There will be a minimum of 3 players nominated for each category. Less than that and the category will be removed.
- There will be a maximum of 5 players nominated for each category. Players are added/removed from the nominated by popular consensus. Organisers (and Mur) are allowed to add whoever they think appropriate to the lists prior to the nominations closing, if there are less than 5 names in the category at this point, we reserve the right to add appropriate names up to the total.
- Past winners will be allowed to be nominated again, however, if there are more than 5 names nominated when it closes, those will be the first removed.
- Mur cannot be nominated (sorry Mur), and Chewett cannot be nominated for Top Techy (or another award along the same lines).
- Previous Fossil (or a similar award if that does not exist this year) winners, cannot win again.
- You may only nominate one person per category. If you nominate multiple people, none will be added.
- You may not nominate yourself, or another account you play.
- No editing posts in the nomination thread - purely because I'll potentially get confused.

- We will use the in game voting system.
- There's no restriction on voting for those of the same land.
- There will be no restriction on the amount of voters, there will however be a limited timeframe to vote in - this will be more than a day, but the length is undefined until a schedule is decided upon.
- You do not have to vote in each category (though it's preferable).
- If you vote for yourself in anything, all your votes will be discounted.
- If players that have voted are detected as alts of each other, all associated votes will be discounted. (If you have multiple accounts, you're fine, but only vote once per person please).
- Players under 20 AD will be unable to vote.

I can't think of any other particular details currently, please ask if you think I've missed anything (in addition to discussing various points). If you are against any aspect with how it's set to run, please raise it and suggest alternatives.

[spoiler]

Associated to a land includes being part of an alliance or a citizen, as well as those on temporary absence from them, but is not exclusive to just that mechanical association. It also extends to a player who feels they belong to a certain land, or who through largely exclusive association or actions is viewed as of a certain land. Those who since those actions visibly associate themselves with another land would then no longer be thought of as with the former.
Alliance hoppers, or those that take alliances without intended association with the land the new alliance is a part of are exceptions and will be treated based on perception, rather than mechanical.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

(The above is mostly copied from last year, so there may be some inaccuraces - please point them out)

All previous MD Award threads can be found via the topic-tagging system under "MD Awards" if you don't know how to get to that, look just below the title of the thread and click on the words below the Started by.. line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As should be apparent, voting has now begun, apologies for the delay in this starting.

It should be noted that the Fossil award is not present on the voting page. This is because of a combination of a low number of nominations (2, with a preset minimum of 3 needed) in addition to the fact that it had been in consideration from removal earlier on in this process by the public. There is another category which also had only 2 nominations, however it had not come under the same consideration for removal earlier on and so remained.

The ceremony will take place in Sage Keep (as it has in previous years), does anyone have objection to it being on Friday 10th January?

What time would suit people best?

• Root Admin

I object to an arbitrary portrayal of the rules and feel the public should have been talked to about the two categories. Either all categories having two members should stay or neither in my view. It makes the awards feel a lot less public and more how you want to run them.

• Root Admin

The ceremony will take place in Sage Keep (as it has in previous years), does anyone have objection to it being on Friday 10th January?
What time would suit people best?

Ideally it takes place as usually does, on or around the 22nd of dec.

Weekdays I normally do things, so I would prefer something on a weekend.

Yeah, I personally prefer it to be on Sunday as I am surely home getting ready for Monday. The time would be any time.

If you want it on Friday, make it actually after 8 or 9 PM as I need some time to get home.

Because of the work I do at weekends, it can often vary what time I get home, so it would be best not to have it on the saturday, so as to guarantee someone of dst or myself will be there.