question the obvious - round earth or not?

Muratus del Mur

Now ...to throw a nuclear bomb here.....do you realise that if you make the earth like a dome, partial sphere, most of your explenations to prove its round will be useless? :))

Most but not all...its round alright:)) but people get so excited, angry and sometimes violent, if you question their obvious beliefs, thats what this contest was about!

Only if you experiment partially. :P

If you experiment on every point in a cyclic tour around the world, then there's no problem

[spoiler]

Speaking of that, having a round earth makes more sense than a flat one...from a concept point of view, not a physical one... spherical is superior and more complete to circular. In flat earth theory the earth was circular/disk while the universe was spherical. Nowdays we just shifted the complexity one level up. The earth became spherical and the universe..well idk the name, but one complexity level up (hypersphere? multidimentional universe thing)

The NEED to see it flat comes from an inside fear, and a much much deeper need for having something above us (from all points of view). Imagining a flat earth gives a fast and clear explenation to what is above, and where the earth ends, surrounded by fear, mystery, gods, and so on. Flat earth theory comes from the hunger of people to have an explenation for everything, one that will fit with what they see imediately, and that will also encapsulate all other beliefs they have.

Back long ago there where other reasons than now, for a flat earth explenation, ...today its mostly the need to find a place for extraterestrials using our world as a lab.

it is very interesting to observe that the flat earth theories are not that flat at all, and they are at the edge of concept and fact. Look how this flat earth was presented in alchemy for example.... but remember it is also described in the bible as such...making it very interesting to understand WHY.

I personally believe that the flat earth representation, even if totally wrong from a geographic point of view, holds much more beauty and symbolises the interior of our mind and..soul actually..much better than the round version.

attachicon.giffirmament-alchemy.jpg

attachicon.giffirmament-alchemy.jpg

It is funny that at some point it was the hollow earth current, so similar to the flat earth one but it was admitting its round.

Now ...to throw a nuclear bomb here.....do you realise that if you make the earth like a dome, partial sphere, most of your explenations to prove its round will be useless? :))

Most but not all...its round alright:)) but people get so excited, angry and sometimes violent, if you question their obvious beliefs, thats what this contest was about!

[/spoiler]

Anyway, the question : which is true between "old idea of flat world" and "new idea of round world" it is a trick question. But a fun one.

Similar to : what  is the true color of something. When after breaking that something to atoms you see that atoms don't have color.

So, it all depends on context.

The world is flat : correct. (see the second picture posted by Mur). The context is : an island. Living on a land surrounded by water only proves that the world is flat.

Imagine that for thousands of years, longest trips ppl made were resumed to same geographic areas. Where ppl could "blame' the Earth curve on hills and mountains.

Now, as ppl evolved and expanded the context ... it all came natural to "see" the true map over larger and larger geographical areas.

Also, continuing to evolve and expand, humans found the other planets , star systems and even galaxies but also found atoms  and even quarks, leptons and bosons.

Even if they are seen as fantasy now ... do remember that "round world" was considered a fantasy for a long time.

So, from history point of view, this "flat world" is an interesting and fun story (now).

Now that you make analogies, mystical and metaphysical comments ... I am sorry. I like my discussion to be focused on a well defined context and exact problem.

Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want (as long as you don't believe too loud). So, good luck finding yourself inside the sphere.

---------------------

Now, Mur, as you went to school in the same education system (Romanian one) ... I have a question for you : do you remember the definition you've been given (in school) for parallel lines ? That is an interesting symbol to understand and remember.

Edited by No one

If you look at a compass you can at first glance at least "guess" it is not maybe very flat and has some kind of core, upon further math, u can painstakingly deduce it is in fact round. (need to read actual posts tho)

edit:just remembered when u r drunk, the balance thingy in the brain goes away and u can feel merry go round like movement hence nausea

Edited by ignnus

• Root Admin

@Menhir: to research doesn't mean to be blind to other findings, just to rediscover them. I never took any knowledge for granted untill i rediscovered it myself too, one way or an other.

--

All wishpoints sent, please check, somehow my interface behaved strange when giving them

Thank you all for participating

For the fun of it, just curious of what one would think of my post

If one look at Mur chalange of earth flat or round ... there is inconsistancy what is accept without proof by Mur

questionning that the earth is round, and acepting for fact:
- space exist
- eclipts ... so earth around sun planets, moon satellit
- picture from space

ill tel you of my theorie if i go only with what i see and can do by myself, doubting any theory or scientific facts i learned in school.

i see  the sun its bright, and give heat (some may say infrared ... but i dont beleive what i dont see in this essay)

in my experience, if one solder with gaz or electric solder he can melt steel and heat it to a point that it is as bright as sun, and give heat..

So my theory is that the sun is an very hot ball of melted steel, somewhere far away and keep hot by the equivalent of an gigantic solder torch.

if I take some molten steel and make a drop going down from such hight that it is cooled enought to be solid before toutching ground , i found what? a sphere of steel.

Playing with magnets, steel particules and compass ... steel can be made a magnet, a magnet can make an compass point to it .... an compass always point to north everywhere i have been, so my theorie, earth is made in a great part of steel .

from that my theorie is that the earth is an drop from the sun that is cooled, with also some dirt on it. and we live on that. If its true then from my experience with an drop of steel .... the earth would be spherical.

@Menhir: to research doesn't mean to be blind to other findings, just to rediscover them. I never took any knowledge for granted untill i rediscovered it myself too, one way or an other.

--

All wishpoints sent, please check, somehow my interface behaved strange when giving them

Thank you all for participating

Blind? I guess you have not the time or something else is not there to understand what I did mean. If it would be important we could continue but my impression is that this whole topic was not designed by you because of the importance of it ...

• 2 weeks later...

The Earth can't be flat. It has to be round for His great meatmalls are round and He created planets in the image of His meatballs. It's a shame you haven't been graced by the touch of His noodly appendages.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-flat-earth-bob-diss-track-20160126-story.html

Edited by Rophs