Tranquil Nights

When the clashing of swords echoes no more, I call upon you to join me in storytelling, harvesting, reminiscing, teaching, trading or any activity that is deemed suitable for the day. When the day does not make itself entertaining, it is up to us to make it so.

Lay down your blades,
Lay down your shields;

Join one, join all, on every Day of Tranquility from now on (12th and 24th of each month). All are welcome and encouraged to contribute; I shall set the theme and pace and will announce it ahead of time.

Rejoice, unite
Your scattered might.

Points will be given and a tally will be kept. Rewards will be given to the diligent, ranging from coins and spellstones to nightmode access. Any sponsors are welcome, everyone is free to reward what they deem worthy of rewards.

Fate and Control shall be your first theme. Prepare a brief parable (or another short act that you deem suitable).

Important tidbits and TL;DR

Spoiler

Introduction on 4th of July 2016, 20:00 ST - I am unable to host on the 12th of July, but would like to introduce the event and give players a chance to prepare before the next one on the 24th. I realise this is Independence Day for those in the USA, I picked it solely because it is a New Moon night. I can postpone to any date between the 4th and 10th if interest is shown but the date is unsuitable.

Location will be announced on the day. Time is subject to change and will be announced via mood panel.

To participate in this one, prepare a short act (preferably written, but feel free to be creative) in which you present your view on fate and how or if it can be controlled. "Artistic license" is given, but anything that disrupts the event as a whole shall be treated as an interruption which is detailed below. In other words, you're free to do anything as long as it doesn't disrupt the event or other players in the event.

Trolling and interruption (via any means) shall be treated identically, with a zero tolerance policy. Both shall result in the indefinite exclusion of the offender (and any assistants in the offence) from any quest or event awarding nightmode access held presently or in the future. Pardons are to be given by me, at my own discretion.

I'm happy for rewards from the Archive Treasury to be sponsored for good stories. (I took the impression that the story telling will be like @Curiose's story nights?) If so, feel free to confer with @Nimrodel to see what rewards are available. I'll also throw in 5 GC's to the reward pool as well as Mirror ritual spell stones when needed.

I have a feeling you probably would have anyway but, please could any stories be posted on the forum?

Thanks and good luck,

-A

Edited by Aethon

18 hours ago, Aethon said:

I'm happy for rewards from the Archive Treasury to be sponsored for good stories. (I took the impression that the story telling will be like @Curiose's story nights?) If so, feel free to confer with @Nimrodel to see what rewards are available. I'll also throw in 5 GC's to the reward pool as well as Mirror ritual spell stones when needed.

I have a feeling you probably would have anyway but, please could any stories be posted on the forum?

Thanks and good luck,

-A

I will post cleaned logs on the forums when the activity suits logging; some days might revolve around harvesting or maybe trading, which won't produce very interesting chat logs, most likely. If anything noteworthy happens, it will be posted.

I have to decide on how to tier rewards and I'll let you know.

• Root Admin

It would be good to have an emphasis on watching live and not just posting on the forum, it might encourage those that left to come into md to see what's happening and not just reading it here, if you want some help and or media spamming and or incentives for people to turn up, pm me

In light ofthat I think I might call a MD AGM next week

• 3 weeks later...

Next iteration: Sunday, 24th of July.

Apologies for not having posted the logs (I do have the raw version, just need to give it a scrub); vacation and travelling are highly detrimental to my access to a working laptop.

The theme will be Wealth. Feel free to host or organise trading or harvesting throughout the day; I will be hosting the (by now stereotypical) storytelling in the evening, around 8 PM ST - anyone is welcome to tell a short story or contribute artistically in any way on the theme. Location to be announced on the day as usual, through the mood panel. 

• 3 weeks later...

Next iteration: Friday, 12th of August.

Theme: Legacy.

Topics for activities (suggestions, don't take them as being compulsory): 

• teaching
  • research
  • MD history

I'll be hosting my own little activity around 21:00 ST. Meeting place to be announced via mood panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Next iteration: Wednesday, 24th of August.

Theme: Following this theme, which inspired me... Good Deed of the Day.
Perform a good deed (throughout the whole day), or tell us about a good deed and how it affected you or others (at the gathering in the evening). Let's try and be kind, for one day?

I will be hosting, again, around 21:00 ST at the usual place, most likely. Announced via mood panel on the day.

Due to technical difficulties Aeoshattr couldn't host the event on 24th August. In his stead Sunfire, MaGoHi, Zleiphneir and I held a storytelling event at Path of Loneliness  and and each of us told story about the Sun. Here are the stories that were told:

MaGoHi's day at the beach - MaGoHi

Spoiler

MaGoHi: one day i sat at GG beach and the sun was hot
MaGoHi: the end
: MaGoHi bows

Sisters of the Sky - *Sunfire*

Spoiler

*Sunfire*: hmm there is a story about the sun and the moon, the two sisters of the sky
*Sunfire*: it was said that in the past the Sun and the Moon were up in the sky all the time
Lintara: Ohh, I recall a story about a forged sun... *smiles* But I'll tell it later, you first (need to translate it myself :D)
*Sunfire*: one golden yellow and the other dull and grey
*Sunfire*: everybody loved the sun for its light and warmth, while the moon was forgotten and neglected
*Sunfire*: years went on and the moon grew sadder and sadder of how nobody liked her
*Sunfire*: and in a foolish stroke of jealousy she stole some light of her sister, the Sun
*Sunfire*: the once beautiful sun now had black spots and got upset while the moon was happy with her new white glow
*Sunfire*: The sun cursed her sisters thievery so that they would never have to share the sky again
*Sunfire*: and so it began that in daytime there is the Sun, and at night ther is the moon, and at dusk and dawn the eternal strugle for who can stay up
*Sunfire*: and if you wonder what an eclipse is, it is when they both gained strength enough to have their struggles in the sky, causing all light to dissapear
*Sunfire*: the two sisters never managed to get along anymore, and up til today the struggle continues
*Sunfire*: who is right and who is wrong is something ill leave open, the sun for not willing to share her light, or the moon for stealing it

The forging of the Sun and Moon - Lintara

Spoiler

Lintara: The story I am about to tell is about how the Sun and Moon came to be.
Lintara: A long long time ago, before the Sun was there to illuminate the sky on days and no Moon was there the comfort travelers , there lived a Blacksmith on a tall hill...
Lintara: Whenever he would look up to the sky he would see the little stars dotting the darkness, yet they offered little comfort.
Lintara: Eventually he grew weary and cold of darkness and decided to forge something to light up the sky.
Lintara: He toiled at his forge for days and week until he carried out a disk... that shone with blinding light.
Lintara: He climbed up to the sky on a ladder with a hammer, a few nails and the disk. Thump! Thump! Thump!
Lintara: He nailed the disk to the sky and named it Sun.
Lintara: Days went on, yet the Blacksmith noticed that the Sun would only shine half of the day and the other half it would again be filled with darkness. The Blacksmith did not like that at all!
Lintara: He pondered for a short time and decided to forge another disk. Thunk! Thunk! Thunk! His forge was filled with sounds of hammering.
Lintara: After a few days, he brought out a disk of silver.
Lintara: Yet, as he was about to nail it to the same side of the sky, the disk slipped and fell to the other side. The Blacksmith took that as a sign and nailed it there. That disk he named Moon.
Lintara: And so the Sun and Moon were never at the same side and the Blacksmith no longer had to live in darkness.

Sun and Wind's bet - Zleiphneir

Spoiler

Zleiphneir: so one day there was a man sitting on a bench, all wrapped up in a massive coat and a scarf and gloves and such
Zleiphneir: The sun and the wind looked down and the wind looked over at the powerful sun and smirked, saying hah, I bet you I can make him take all that stuff off
Zleiphneir: it'll be easy, with my great gusto, he'll have to take it off.
Zleiphneir: The sun looked at the wind and noded. Go on then.
Zleiphneir: and the wind was confused, wondering how the sun could take up such a foolish bet
Zleiphneir: your funeral. it said.
Zleiphneir: and the wind took about blowing gusts of great ferocity at the man
Zleiphneir: and one of his gloves flew off
Zleiphneir: but the man chased after it, and as the wind blew harder, the man grabbed onto his coat tighter
Zleiphneir: he retrieved his glove and hit behind a tree, and the wind chased him, but to no avail
Zleiphneir: every time he blew, the man held tighter, and was more cautious
Zleiphneir: are you done? said the sun
Zleiphneir: the wind retorted, pah, yes im done, you try, as if anyone could get such a stubborn man to do anything!
Zleiphneir: and the sun, simply shone
Zleiphneir: and the man, came out from behind the tree, took off his garb and laid it on a bench, and pranced about in the grass
Zleiphneir: the sun gave the wind a look, and the wind swiftly shut up.

Had a bit of trouble exiting Necrovion as planned on the 24th and I couldn't postpone the event for later in the night as I ended up feeling quite unwell. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thank you very kindly Lin, Mag, Sunny, Z!

I must come with further "bad news". I will be unable to host on the 12th of September, as I have academic matters that I must attend to and are likely to eat up my whole day. If anyone would be interested in hosting, please contact me and I'll do my best to provide materials and suggestions (maybe scripts, if necessary).

• 2 weeks later...

21:00ST, Howling Gates

Z

Spoiler

[12/09/16 21:19] Zleiphneir:There was once a flower. A small odd little thing, it sort of looked more like a vegetable than a flower
[12/09/16 21:19] Zleiphneir:but it was very cool, it had odd markings and smelled unique
[12/09/16 21:20] Zleiphneir:but bees tended to avoid it, because it was a bit of a strange little thing
[12/09/16 21:20] Zleiphneir:The flower had a lot of belief in itself and knew it was a cool thing, but also felt sad...a lot
[12/09/16 21:20] Zleiphneir:and it was very alone in the world
[12/09/16 21:21] Zleiphneir:One day it looked up at the sky and saw the sun
[12/09/16 21:21] Zleiphneir:now at first, it just saw a bit hot ball, and it didnt think much of it as such
[12/09/16 21:21] Zleiphneir:everyone else thought the sun was epic, but the flower didnt see anything particularly special about it
[12/09/16 21:22] Zleiphneir:but the more it looked and watched, the more it liked the sun
[12/09/16 21:22] Zleiphneir:it squinted up and saw little solar flares, and strange faults, and it loved how things reacted to it
[12/09/16 21:22] Zleiphneir:so the flower decided it would make it it's duty to love the sun, and to make the sun love it
[12/09/16 21:23] Zleiphneir:and it would try to make the sun the best sun it could be, devoting itself to it, in the hopes that the sun would flourish
[12/09/16 21:23] Zleiphneir:and so, the sun looked down one day and saw the flower, and it loved how unique it was
[12/09/16 21:23] Zleiphneir:and from then on, they spent all day just staring at each other
[12/09/16 21:24] Zleiphneir:and night could never come
[12/09/16 21:24] Zleiphneir:and the flower felt less lonely, and even though it was still sort of sad about being odd, it felt accomplished that it made the sun smile
[12/09/16 21:24] Zleiphneir:as time went on, the heat from the sun started to burn the flower
[12/09/16 21:25] Zleiphneir:and the flower got little singes, and it was more and more difficult for the flower just to exist
[12/09/16 21:25] Zleiphneir:but the flower remained happy, blissfully happy that it had a duty, a duty to the sun
[12/09/16 21:25] Zleiphneir:the sun, however, couldnt bear to watch the flower suffer
[12/09/16 21:26] Zleiphneir:and knew, no matter what it did, it is how it is, and it couldnt stop burning the flower
[12/09/16 21:26] Zleiphneir:So the sun told the flower that it would leave, and the moon would come.
[12/09/16 21:26] Zleiphneir:The flower begged the sun to stay
[12/09/16 21:26] Zleiphneir:shook its weird little head, told the sun it was wrong
[12/09/16 21:26] Zleiphneir:but the sun couldnt stand it, and soon disappeared
[12/09/16 21:27] Zleiphneir:The flower was devastaed. It lost it's purpose, and it didnt really want to make the moon smile
[12/09/16 21:27] Zleiphneir:and it soon got cold
[12/09/16 21:27] Zleiphneir:and the flower, though not burning any longer, became lonely again, and so cold
[12/09/16 21:27] Zleiphneir:soon it couldnt eat, it couldnt sleep,
[12/09/16 21:27] Zleiphneir:gradually, it could no longer stand
[12/09/16 21:28] Zleiphneir:and the sun, who had left to help the flower, would never know, that not only did the flower die anyway, but it died sad, and alone.
[12/09/16 21:28] Zleiphneir:-
[12/09/16 21:29] Zleiphneir:what do you believe the story means?

Edited by (Zl-eye-f)-nea