The Artisans Guild

Alliance Name: The Artisans Guild (Guild)

Homeland: MDA Lands

Activity: Active

Members:

1. GlorDamar (Leader)

2. Morrel

3. BlackThorn (now in Loreroot alliance, but still a guild member)

4. Amorte

5. DiKra

6. Amoran Kalamanira Kol

7. Syerthrix

8. <open>

9. <open>

10. <open>

Description: A guild devoted to the creation of the in-game Avatars, as well as some of the other artwork used in MagicDuel. We are always looking for additional Talent. If you are interested in joining us, please post samples of your work to the Forum Thread listed above. If you'd like more information or if you have ideas for us to use for avatars, please PM any one of us. We are willing to create avatars based on your ideas, but Avatars are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis and we are unable to guarantee that you will be able to purchase any avatar that you may have suggested.

This is the official call for avatar artists. Anyone who is interested in helping to contribute to this game by creating the custom avatars that we use to represent us. Anyone who is interested in joining the Artisans' Guild please post some samples of your artwork to this topic thread.

Please include artwork that shows your ability to create small, discreet drawings that are similar to the style of the rest of the game. There is room for your own style and interpretation, so don't just copy what exists already.

There are currently 10 available slots, 5 have been filled and 5 remain for now. So please give it your best shot and let's see your talent.

Also, please note that I'd like to run this contest in the public forums so that everyone can see your art and comment on it. If this unnerves you, this may not be the kind of job for you. Your work will be on display for everyone to see if it's put in game. Anyone who is interested in this competition, even if you don't submit yourself, please comment on the submissions.

Ok here we go.... :rolleyes:

This is a dragon that grew out of a circle an year ago:

post-2040-1216411342_thumb.jpg

I drew this lady bird a long while ago and my friends love it till this day!:

post-2040-1216411886_thumb.jpg

when an artist gets bored he tends to draw what he likes the most:

post-2040-1216412041_thumb.jpg

This is what i did in my chemistry classes:

post-2040-1216411669_thumb.jpg

A recent work of my most favourite place...Paris!:

post-2040-1216412190_thumb.jpg

Ok i forgot this one earlier! this is my latest art work. Its a digital art i did on my PC using Photoshop CS2. Praise my mouse!

post-2040-1216412739_thumb.jpg

This is one of my drawings from my portfolio in which the previous drawing of Paris also belongs to:

post-2040-1216414316_thumb.jpg

Hey i can try some of this in a bit. Just got to think of somethings for avatars first though. (possibly even on for myself... hehehe.)

It will take a bit though before i get something that is at least close to the style of the rest of them.

Please apply, I want to see everything anyone would like to submit!

This isn't my best work and to be fair my scanner has a habit of making things look really poor. It's a sparrow with a ring in it's talon if you can't tell.

post-2067-1216956136_thumb.jpg

Not too bad. I can see what you mean about your scanner. The drawing looks like some of the lines faded and it produced some pixelly artifacts in the shading. The shape is good. The blended shading isn't quite the technique I'm looking for, but it's not bad.

Do you have more I can see?

Not too bad. I can see what you mean about your scanner. The drawing looks like some of the lines faded and it produced some pixelly artifacts in the shading. The shape is good. The blended shading isn't quite the technique I'm looking for, but it's not bad.

Do you have more I can see?

I'll have to make more and currently it is 11:30 PM, not a good time for me to be attempting to draw. I'd be happy to make something else. Anything you have in mind?

Oh, I just remembered some of my deviantArt works and I could supply some of those even though I've inked most of them. One is a cartoon I did recently... it's rather random.

post-2067-1216961099_thumb.jpg

post-2067-1216961106_thumb.jpg

post-2067-1216961153_thumb.jpg

I suppose I should post some of the stuff I've done to give a better idea what I'm looking for.

Here are some of the Avatar drawings I've come up with. Not all of these were accepted, but you may recognize a few.

This is one I sent in when I was applying to work on the game.

post-1954-1216998587_thumb.jpg

Here are a few from my first group of Avatar Submittals

post-1954-1216998214_thumb.jpgpost-1954-1216998227_thumb.jpgpost-1954-1216998243_thumb.jpg

post-1954-1216998253_thumb.jpg

Here's that Unicorn so many of the ladies of MD have requested

post-1954-1216998277_thumb.jpg

And here's couple from my latest group of submittals. I don't know that either of these were used.

post-1954-1216998303_thumb.jpgpost-1954-1216998312_thumb.jpg

I hope that helps.

Question though, what type of pencil are you using for these drawings? Just a basic #2 or a different hardness?

Ok, here are some quick sketches to see if this is what you're getting at. Again, please bear with my scanner as it did make some lines fade again.

post-2067-1217012952_thumb.jpg

Question though, what type of pencil are you using for these drawings? Just a basic #2 or a different hardness?

I use a 0.5 mechanical pencil with HB leads. I sometimes supplement that with a woodless pencil of the same hardness. I use a kneaded rubber eraser when I need to erase and I typically draw on a Strathmore drawing pad. I can look up the weight and other characteristics later if you want those. Also, some of my drawings are done on typical 20 lb bond printer paper. The paper doesn't have a lot of effect on it, although I prefer the heavier texture on the drawing pad as the printer paper has a slicker surface and doesn't hold the graphite as well.

I use a 0.5 mechanical pencil with HB leads. I sometimes supplement that with a woodless pencil of the same hardness. I use a kneaded rubber eraser when I need to erase and I typically draw on a Strathmore drawing pad. I can look up the weight and other characteristics later if you want those. Also, some of my drawings are done on typical 20 lb bond printer paper. The paper doesn't have a lot of effect on it, although I prefer the heavier texture on the drawing pad as the printer paper has a slicker surface and doesn't hold the graphite as well.

This is good, I use 24 lb. I'm not sure if the .5 mechanical is similar to a regular HB or not.

This is good, I use 24 lb. I'm not sure if the .5 mechanical is similar to a regular HB or not.

The hardness is the same, but I prefer the mechanical because the line weight remains more or less constant. With a standard pencil, the weight of your lines increases as the pencil gets dull. You don't get the sharpness to your lines and hatches that you do with a mechanical pencil unless you keep it constantly sharpened.

Ok, here's one more attempt. Tell me your honest opinion about it (like a complete stranger wouldn't) and if you'd like, tell me what I need to fix. It's a catfish, catfish are bottom feeders, just like me :3 (joke... I think). And once again my scanner screwed me over, I'm working on overcoming that problem so bear with me for the time being.

post-2067-1217131862_thumb.jpg

At the risk of posting unnecessarily (which I actually do a lot), I have to say that fish is really cute. <3 Not judging skill, of course, except that it's better than mine. But then, so is most people's. *cough*

I did show these to you Glor.

I want people to point out the mistakes in these so that i can bring it close to the MD art style

Distressed Soul:

post-2040-1217162255_thumb.jpg

Dark angel(Angien :P )

post-2040-1217162325_thumb.jpg

Egg Warrior:

post-2040-1217162358_thumb.jpg

Do give me your honest opinions people!

Not much have I done... But I'll try to create much better avatars! :D

* The trouble with my drawings is that it looks too dark, maybe because i use wooden pencils....time to switch to mechanical!

Hi, I've searched for some examples ... I'm not very good at keeping them in good condition. ;)

I've got more (color, sanguine), but this might give you an idea of my style.

Number 009 (first picture) is the best I ever made (unfortunately his eyes aren't in one line because of a stroke he suffered) But it's a scan of a poor quality photocopy i'm afraid, the original is in Mexico at my wife's parents house.

Well, if you want more, you know where to find me. Somewhere around Willows shop.....

I will try to make some more MD oriented sketches this week.

Oh, these samples are pencil, but I used auto-correct light in my favorite image browser and the are a little 'heavy' or darker, like they have some more 'volume' . I kind of like the effect.

post-1536-1217217979_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217217999_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218015_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218028_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218039_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218052_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218063_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218075_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218088_thumb.jpg

post-1536-1217218099_thumb.jpg

Hi, I've searched for some examples ... I'm not very good at keeping them in good condition. ;)

Number 009 is the best I ever made (unfortunately his eyes aren't in one line because of a stroke he suffered) But it's a scan of a poor quality photocopy i'm afraid, the original is in Mexico at my wife's parents house.

Well, if you want more, you know where to find me. Somewhere around Willows shop.....

Oh, these samples are pencil, but I used auto-correct light in my favorite image browser and the are a little 'heavy' or darker, like they have some more 'volume' . I kind of like the effect.

O! M! G! Morrel these are truly wonderful! Are you a professional artist? All I can say is WOW! I want one of your avatars.

Number 009 is the best I ever made (unfortunately his eyes aren't in one line because of a stroke he suffered) But it's a scan of a poor quality photocopy i'm afraid, the original is in Mexico at my wife's parents house.

Bravo. Your work is fantastic. I'm very impressed. I will attempt to locate you soon.

Thanks!

No I'm not a professional artist, I give them away, so I'm a bad buisenessman I guess ;)

Once a year or so, i feel like some drawing or painting, and I make a few things.

so.. i'm very curious :

how do you overlay the drawings on the MD background?

I would love to know that for the site i'm going to build as well

What size is used for those avatars? dpi, format (jpeg, gif, png..)

I bought a mechanicall pencil today, GlorDamar :)

Your avitars look great and I wanted to try one of those pencils. I used them before, but with very hard leads. these HB's are nice. they make good darks.

I like Archnov's warrior , very good.

Gonna stop writing and start drawing...

cya,

Morrel