Amulets

Ungod

A couple months ago, while browsing through my digital library, I stumbled across some occult books that I never thought I'd read. One of them was on the topic of amulets and talismans. I don't quite remember the author's name - it was Maria? Gonzalez. I found it to be a VERY informative book.

It explained lots of things - like the origin of make-up. For the 'primitive' man, disease was external. Evil was always an outsider. It entered the body via holes/gaps. Mouth, ear, nostrils (and others). Even the eyes were gates for the evil/disease. And so the primitive man/woman decided to protect himself/herself. Eye make-up? Lipstick? Ear-rings or finger rings? It was all there to protect the body. Nowadays it's purely aesthetic, but its real purpose wasn't that. 

You still find it in games. Rings with certain magical powers ? Sounds fantasy, but it's actually closer to the truth - a very ancient truth. Amulets are means of protection - and are real. Real, as in they have properties that allow them to do just that. 

In MD we have the 'equipment' interface that is dusty and long forgotten. Truth be told, it should not be about 'equipment to fight people', but 'equipment to fight evil'. That sounds like a paladin's role, huh? but we're not talking Christianity or monotheistic religions where Good fights Evil. We're talking about the ancient beliefs in an everyday struggle to survive. That means that interface should be filled with amulets - that is, things which protect. 

I don't know what was the original intention behind that interface. I think that filling it with amulets means we propagate two main ideas - one, that all evil is external and man is good (-natured) and two, that it is not an interface for 'combat' in the traditional way. These are fundamental issues.

What do you think?

I think a lot could be done with this and I am very intrigued by the idea of amulets and talismans being made in the realm with a true meaning. Something meaningful to both the creator and the wearer.

Lots of variety and creativity could come in uses of such items, as well as factors stemming from the creator's land / alliance / role etc.

Given the fundamental ideas behind MD and the meaning we as "players" bring to it, this is something that could influence other aspects of resource usage and so on.

In my opinion, good and evil are in constant war within all of us, whether some like to admit it or not.

In terms of implementing such objects into the realm, I would very much support any ideas that stem from this.

I had recently reflected upon the absence of these, that should occupy of the (eighth) Allele position, and Ring position, within the interface; and with discussion upon the discordant portal - I believe this had prompted of Ungod to write of the above.

I had also thought recently of rings - I believe these were less of the wearer's protection, unlike Amulets, although beauteous they should be - but as a tether; to bind one. Some do take of this binding with great joy, as oft when one were betrothed to marry; yet not all who do marry do so willingly; this binding were as a shackle upon one's feet, yet, upon one's soul. In form, a ring merely encircles one, to prevent its escape; a talisman doth lie betwixt the bearer and ill-fate.

I do imagine, then, that rings that grant power were formed to tether it unto the bearer; where amulets are cast as a shield for the soul from ill-fate, and grant of specific protection.

Of their purpose, and power:

I do not think that these should be used for combat-skill, nor grant their statistic in battle; one who wields of rings and talismans should yield to one with sword and shield in combat. Yet, if one were to extend its purpose thus, a talisman may, in example, guard of the ill effect of combat; such as one which doth ward off the chill-wind of the Freeze-Aura.

Of their purpose within the realm, then; one may find examples of such purpose:

A ring may allow one to summon it's wearer, by summoning the ring. Thus might a Queen, or King, summon one who were not of her entourage, or citizenship, to a location. This should then imply of consent - first, that the bearer wears of the ring willingly, and that the summoner should only be able to summon one who does so.
One may commune with Shades, if one were tethered to them, or one may summon of new creatures in the same manner - all that should be required were that both bearer, and binder, should find mutual consensus.

An amulet may allow one to pass of otherwise impassable terrain - to ward off that which should obstruct thy passage. Thus may one pass, for example, toward the Shrine of the Angiens. One may wear an amulet to protect of
death's toll - I should like to think that, for example, if I had worn of an amulet that should ward off the assassin, that I should not have lost of the power that did bind the Eclipse to myself.

I believe that rings, and amulets, should make of desirable quest-reward, in practicality; unlike that which may be purchased of the blacksmith, the enchantress should desire more than mere coin, and points of value.

Edited by Aia del Mana

@Josie

I have a feeling the equipment interface was made for combat, so changing its meaning equal to a lot of work. As for resource usage, there's a question: resources are also used to 'build' creatures, so what properties do MD resources have?

@ Aia

That's Altele, not allele :)

Rings have the function of binding, indeed, but many rings were adorned with special stones, which had various properties and so acted as amulets. Rings also function as charm-bearers. In its basic form, a ring can become an amulet if made of a special material.

As for powers, if we look at rings as syncretic items, not just amulets, I suppose its range of powers is increased compared to 'just' protection, but I see these three: protection, charm and binding.

That is true, Ungod. The equipment page would not be suitable.

Perhaps as items then. They would have more functionality in that case anyway.

Quoting Muratus del Mur explaining fixed resource groups:

resources, are imaginary in md, they are information,..or.. if seen from a character perspective they are imprinted energy nothing more. The items have no size, no weight yet they are in you inventory. A RESOURCE does not change in quantity but in "reality".

With valid reasoning, and "memory", we can use resources to create almost anything, surely?

It's too easy to worry about the imagined restrictions of the past and get blinded to the unlimited possibilities of the future.

2 hours ago, Ungod said:

@ Aia

That's Altele, not allele :)

Rings have the function of binding, indeed, but many rings were adorned with special stones, which had various properties and so acted as amulets. Rings also function as charm-bearers. In its basic form, a ring can become an amulet if made of a special material.

As for powers, if we look at rings as syncretic items, not just amulets, I suppose its range of powers is increased compared to 'just' protection, but I see these three: protection, charm and binding.

Ah, the trained eye doth discern as the rich merchant and his loupes.

Of magical stones and charms - these indeed may be mount upon any portion of one's outfitment; not merely of rings, or amulets, but also upon a circlet for the head, or to accent upon one's armour. Noting it thus, I fear we do deviate much of the intrinsic properties of such armament, for stones, and charms, may befit aught of the aforementioned.

While I certainly do appreciate of the brilliance of a mounted stone upon a ring - and indeed do prefer to wear of them if they possess it so - the property of the ring per se, I argue, were separate from that mounted upon it.

@Josie

No, the equipment page could work too, but it's a lot of work, as it's a 're-work'. 

That quote is perfect:) 

@Aia

It works both ways - you can have a ring act like an amulet and have it act as a support for an amulet; you can have a chainmail made of strong metal or have it adorned with something perceived as 'amuletic'. What I'm saying is, if you limit the power of a ring to its intrinsic power, I don't see it enabling to pass impassable terrain and reach the Angien Shrine. 

58 minutes ago, Nava said:

Good and evil is a curse because it creates evil. For example, I can call those that manipulate for selfish reasons evil, but I know there are deeper reasons and that we're all people.

Ah yes, I should have said "negative and positive energies within us all" instead of good and evil. I was referring to inner struggles only, not our perceptions of others.

For the record, I don't call anyone evil unless they have done something spectacularly bad, like ten o'clock news style bad.

58 minutes ago, Nava said:

The point is, in MD, I would prefer items such as these aren't relied upon, but contain secrets only known to the creator and wearer, or one of the two if the relationship between them isn't respected and one has more power than the other and thus determines the meaning and utility of the objects. The outer is the inner, and this rule reminds me of the power within.

I agree with this to a point. If there is a secret it should be known to both, or the secret holder does not have a relationship, but a minion, and clearly no respect for the other.

Edited by Clair de Lune

8 minutes ago, Nava said:

A secret is more powerful than any item and may shape the function of even the most effective and intricate of amulets at the very least.

in the human plane, a secret is powerful; in the natural one, an item is powerful - knowing the secret to taking a certain medication for a condition may mean life or death, having the item (the pill) may mean life or death. Deciding which is stronger is not an issue - the lack of each can mean death, so...

2 minutes ago, Nava said:

Alas, you are simply unaware of a very important secret ;) Thus, you believe what you believe.

could be, could be

anyway, my suggestion was to bring amulets into that equipment interface, your suggestion is to bring cool gadgets into it - that's not bad, the pool of ideas is getting bigger

(more scriptable items with abilities/secrets is what you're suggesting, but I have a feeling these items are coming as a reward for sustained roleplay)

Good idea, it would be nice to see more items to use in those slots. That could simply be extra stats, rings are considered valuable and sometimes 'powerful' items so it would make sense to give them less combat related stats like energetic immunity and briskness, or possibly boosts to resource related skills. While one might not protect you like a shield it could possibly increase your defense while lowering your attack among other variations, or just be all normal positive values but I think that's less unique and fun.

I would prefer it to go the other route, causing specific mechanics to change while equipped such as allowing access to a scene for a set amount of uses before breaking or needing to be recharged. The possibilities are there but it would be nice to see a list of things that could be done and decide which ones are viable from that point on, then allow for some customization.

Fang Archbane

what about making an armor set that lowers lost stats due to skill damage per piece
Mallos
uh
Fang Archbane
you could lose even moar stats
ALL THE STATS
Mallos
ok but people get lost in that they should suggest figures and solid ideas instead of outlines
and i just see the outline
Fang Archbane
i think, in this case, its for the beset tbh
items made would be specific to the player making it
you cant really make specific digits there
Mallos
you can add what types of things can be used to make what types of effects, we already have a host of items to pick from, that isnt going anywhere, next step is specify
and how the combining process works
then you have a solid idea
if it is too vague, it is too easy to read it, think "neat idea" and then move on with your life because you're not going to sit there specifying everything for someone elses idea
and its kinda impossible to just go "heres a combiner process, you can do whatever you want" and then end up with a balanced mechanism
ive seen forum post after forum post about resource stuff like this never get expanded upon

• 1 month later...