Scene Redesign Challenge

• Root Admin

This year the scene redesign challenge is focused on the original start, the Paper Cabin.

You are to take the below image of Paper Cabin and add colour to it and any additional motif you feel is suitable. The theme this year is "Welcome to MD". Feel free to add any additional images, colour, text, or modify the image in any way you feel fit. The only requirement is that it must be (at least vaguely) visible that it is Paper Cabin.

Along with the image, you must write some words about what this scene means to you, and how you were welcomed into MD.

Examples of previous entries are available in this thread.

Prizes will be 1 Anniv creature to first second and third place (either decided by vote or judging panel) along with various gold and silver rewards.

Any notable artworks outside first second and third will also be awarded 1 Anniv.

paper_cabin_for_md_birthday_2019.png

I present to you:

The Crazy Jazzy Welcome to MD Party

hosted by yours truly (not shown because I was the one taking the picture!)

final.PNG.9c2dadb8cd77201cc4fb67f3915eb72f.PNG

featuring:

a bunch of drunk old geezers, illusions, pimped dudes, a drachat, foods, drinks, decorations aaaaand SAVEL "FUSER" COLTRANE on the jazzy sax! (oh and a happy dancing book because why not display a book enjoying some cool jazz?) -- Oh and a mad guy outside who wasn't invited because he wouldn't let us party properly! He keeps staring from afar with a spyglass... creepy.

Hope you enjoy it! :D 

Fun fact:

Savel Coltrane is known as Mr P.C., or Mr. Paper Cabin, because he often plays there. Last year, during an interview, he's told the press that it's his favorite venue.

I made the scene like this because I saw an old screenshot of the Paper Cabin the other day and it was CROWDED, just like this party. I miss the days where you'd have like 3-4 rows of players in the PC and everyone was having a great time. I guess it was like this when I started, but I didn't really pay much attention to the players or the chat back then... I was too busy admiring the scenes and the story mode and trying to figure out what the hell was going on haha.

Edited by Aelis
Added Mr P.C. link

Ok, lets give it a shot

1.jpg.70bf296378c7825af083274059d20d77.jpg

First I want to say that I tried to incorporate both my arrival upon Island and Main Land into one picture.

Even though my scene may suggest otherwise I was very warmly greeted upon arrival at the island, still the first thing that comes to mind when I think about that time is the feeling that everything is shrouded in a mystery, that many things are not what they seem to be, hunger for adventure and discoveries. It was a new experience, I felt like a baby trying to learn how to walk. The bloody part comes mostly from my memories of encountering shades for the first time when I arrived upon No man's land, I wanted to present my uneasiness that I felt back then. Anyway MD still reamins a mystery for me, a one that I want to dive into and let it swallow me whole.

Edited by NathanBlake

Meh...no inspiration.

spacer.png

When the Paper Cabin popped up, I thought this was an adventure game and I clicked scrolls and the ink bottle to find clues or items. I also thought it might be a hidden object game, but...it's all hidden in plain sight in MD...

The light from the window gave it a very warm feeling, I think this scene encapsulates the essence of old-style adventure. Pencil drawing, old books, warm light, a stylish desk...it's pretty much the haven of a reader of adventure. 

(I read a lot of genres, and each creates a certain vibe in your head; the adventure books gave me *this* kind of vibe)

However, as soon as I went up and used 80 AP (out of 100) and there was no way to go down (except waiting for half an hour) and there was nothing to do in the damn scene, I cursed the game and the developer.

I do not have time to conduct a quest or design a new scene. But I still want to participate in at least one quest, for old times sake.

This picture is years old, designed by me for a Christmas scene decoration quest, one of the five or six scenes I designed for that quest. I liked another picture and therefore chose that one for submission. However, nothing in the world can match the strong feeling of nostalgia I get when I see this pic, the hours of labour it took me to create this one tiny frame, paint, erase and repeat, paint, erase and repeat, I even used to get headaches due to spending hours in front of my laptop... The sole purpose of it being wanting to win the best questor award at the end of the year. Beating dst at what she was incredible at, seemed like a badge of pride to wear during those days. Still is.

All of it began in this paper cabin as Esmerelda. The funny part is, after I finally understood what I wanted to do in this game, I created a new character named Nimrodel, as you know me now, and I didn't start the game in Paper cabin at all! Mp2 testing was going on, and I started the game in golemus, at wraith's wreck if I remember correctly, ate Grido's brains asking too many questions, stumbled upon some super secret golemus meeting which I remember nothing about (all I remember is they kicked me out respectfully asap). And after that began my journey as Nim to the person you know me as on today.

I may not have been there for all the 14 years of MD, but every single day that I get to experience this... Phenomenon, is a new lesson, a new experience in its own.

Here's hoping to be able to spare more time in the near future, Happy Birthday MagicDuel. Wish you many many more to come... :)

Myachristmas3.jpg

Edited by Nimrodel
Correcting typos

This is my first time coloring a scene, and I like to focus on small things, even it can be unnoticeable & time consuming. :P
md_2019bd_paper_cabin.png
I don't exactly remember the first day of my journey, it was a long time ago...but I still remember the mixed feeling about it.
It was like playing an escape room, so many puzzles and hidden messages around me, I can't wait to click everything and search for clues. but there was no one in the Paper Cabin, then I met the Shades and the little girl (in story mode)...well, little bit creepy but I like it very much, the unknown is beautiful.

Also the Paper Cabin was like a safe room to me, I was extremely curious about the "outside world", but I always go back there when I feel lost. Although it's not the place for beginners anymore, it is still one of the meaningful place in MD.

Edited by Sushi

• 2 weeks later...

I call this rendition "Mischief Managed". Although most renditions above have used of colour, I have attempted to maintain this scene as similar to the realm as I am able; that one should instead observe of its differences.

1830587197_MDpaper_cabin_for_md_birthday_2019.png.594c8450baffe5da3b75e23aa8944f93.png

I recall the Paper Cabin many years ago as a place of mystery, quite remniscent of the realm, surely one of its most iconic scenes. The Paper Cabin, to me, were an allegory for the realm - a place where many secrets and puzzles hide in plain sight; where one discovers and befriends of its beings, and becomes part of its history. One worthy may become its tinkerer; to build and shape it for others to enjoy; developing new meanings and discovering new connections; the tragedy being that most of these shall lie undiscovered to most who do seek them.

Of mine own welcome - this were many years hence; and sadly, most recollections are gone, other than scattered happy memories of friends that I did leave behind; especially Tarquinus of the Eclipse, whose memory continues to shape Aia as she is today. As the shade's mischievous acts within the above rendition of the Paper Cabin; so too are these memories; altered, scattered, lost; but the collective experience recalled as one of happiness, nonetheless.

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

A late one,  but I finally have collated all the opinions:

First  - Aelis - The judges admired the large collection of people and the story to go with it
Rewards: 2 Anni creatures! 3 gold coins,  

Second - Aia - An amazing job with modifying the scene in ways we didnt expect
Rewards: 1 anni creature, 2 gold coins

Third - Sushi - A wonderfully coloured scene!
Rewards: 1 anni creature, 1 gold coin

Everyone else: Nimrodel, Ungod, NathanBlake
1 gold coin for participation

The rewards should be sent out by end of day today (UK day).