Heat Veins Mapping

• Root Admin

We discussed this  and I disagree with your  "only one road in and one road out" from a lore perspective.

Personally, from my understanding I see the flow of heat from the lands towards Deathmarrow, but that it is NOT a fixed path.

Take heat travelling from Loreroot. I see two potential paths, one from the front entrance, Via the Gazebo and towards the NC main entrance. The other from the back exit towards MDA and then towards NC via the tunnel.

Now the reason why I argue there are two paths is simple and obvious. There are two ways to go. By default I would argue that when the secret exit is closed the flow of heat will go through the main entrance. This is because it is  the "Only" open way towards NC, and it must flow through the path of least resistance. Add to the fact  is that the path is "travelled" by people entering and leaving via the main entrance draws the heat towards the front exit. Actually you can see that  this is a longer path to get to NC, but people being people draw it that way.

However at times in the past we know that the gate had been exit has been opened to the public. This however is a dangerous state of affairs as heat will travel towards NC, so do other forces travel back along the path. This is the "negative half" to the heat  flow (the things and resources that flow back).

I suggest that the reason KC guards the back entrance to LR is that when it is open it has to protect itself from the adverse effects. Opening the back entrance dramatically changes the flow of heat. Suddenly there is a much shorter path which then means the heat is able to flow much quicker to Deathmarrow. It is a stronger and faster flow as there is less ground to cover, so it expands less "natural" heat getting back. This then has a stronger attraction to the forces in deathmarrow.

Ironically, by KC being around the back entrance, they also create more heat to travel back to NC, enforcing the link, but they will be also protecting it against the forces  that  come along the line too.

Therefore, I would say that LR -> Deathmarrow has two paths, the first being via NML and GoE,  when the back entrance is closed. And the second being when it is open and "protected" by KC when the heat veins radically change.

I see parallels in GG as well, IMO I see two paths, the regular "slow"  one down the mountain and across the  bridge. And a quicker "secret" one up to the Pyramids that is closed for now. But  enough spoilers for today and I will let the reader think about the pyramids.

• Root Admin

Any location in the realm has (at least) one way towards deathmarrow. Heat can be mapped like that, because verything else is the opposite direction.

Gates being closed or open should have no influence on heat flow, on the contrary, heat should remain the same so that it can be used as alternate secret travel way to bypass normal pathways and reached locked areas.

Being forced to limit veins to two options is a point you totally miss, try to understand its implications...they are at least creative.

LR-DM has 2 path maybe, more, many places have more, but if you take a single location it has one path always. 

If you need to go somewhere you may have multiple options, but you always take one path. Heat is a permanent thing, should not be subject to decision, the decision part happened before heat emerged  heat as a result is just fuel without decision.

(I am still open to this debate, i just replied to what you said, maybe there are better points to argue)

i think this makes sense if heat veins are outside the bounds of the scenes themselves, or rather, don't exactly interact with the scenes in the same way that we do. a scene that might be blocked for us may not be blocked for heat veins, either because it goes under the map or just doesn't interact with the "physical" scenes themselves

so in the case with chew's example, LR to NC the long way would be 28 (capitol to capitol) .

LR through the back entrance and down through alches would be 20 if you count the tunnel of war being a viable "shortcut". however this may not be the case if heat veins are static "tubes" and were formed before that event. i would think that heat veins would be a mix of both, more like air dynamics but in this case, static in the sense that they are an unchanging "moment" of probability. so it would depend on how you interpret the sequencing of these "events".

if the tunnel is not a viable shortcut, LR through alches to the GOE into DM would be 32

through MDA and tunnel would be 26

i believe heat would take the shortest option  due to what chew said with teh path of least resistance

Edited by Syrian

I can kinda picture the heat veins following a path that costs more (in terms of ap or # of steps) if I consider that heat veins choose a path containing/requiring more information (entropy). This way, it makes perfect sense to me that the veins should flow through gates and have capitols as sources/target, which are heavily symbolic places, carrying a lot of information and requiring a lot of energy.

Another way of looking at things is that it flows through the most "intuitive"/easily accessible (in terms of information) paths. Like when you need to go somewhere and you reach a location where you've never been before. In that case, I guess most people will probably follow the main/safe road, even if there is some shortcut that only locals know (because we'd never know about it or risk getting lost at that point).

• Root Admin

Maybe it helps to picture them in terms of up and down on terrain. Water will always flow down, leaving whatever is in the opposite direction as up.

Of course there could be multiple ups and downs, but in reality it can at most be equal, lower, higher.

One even older thing in md, was that i always put action id 1 on items taking you deeper in a land.. not 1,2,or 3, just one. I want to keep same qay of thinking when setting heat veins, one way matters the other is just the opposite.

This influence of ap cost, or if a path is closed by a gate, makes no sense for me when thinking of heatveins.

You can put a dam on a river to stop the water, (water=heat analogy), and the river bed is the heat VEIN. 

Dont mistaken veins for the flow, what flows on the veins is sonething else than the veins itself, and here we are setting up the veins.

Thats wverything i have to say on the subject unless specifically asked. Maybe its enough time to reach a decision by this weekend? I don't rush anywhere, i just need to know a plan, and if it requires voting (if you cant reach a decision) or unanimous decision (would be awesone)

If you need a month to debate, also fine, just lets set a deadline to avoid stretching infinitely, i have other interesting activities for you after :)