Thoughts on Quests and their permanence in this realm

Steno

So after several conversations with several players over the course of a few weeks I have thought a lot about this topic.

There are a lot of quests out there in RPCQ elements from players that spent a lot of time and energy and creativity to make.

There are some (like Burns and Fyrd) who made HUGE quests that spanned the entirety of the realm. (I have stumbled across a few, but can't pick up the thread to continue or end). Several of these have spectacular content, but the player hasn't been online in almost a decade (a while by any amount).

Is there an administrative tool that can view all of the content of RPCQ elements (even if they aren't maintained?)

This would be a MASSIVE undertaking, but could, if found, bring a large amount of content back into the realm (by having players complete ancient quests, and getting rewards from a quest pool reward system (something else that could be discussed-something like Ungod talks about here).

I'm just thinking that if we were to save even 4 ancient quests that are worth saving (ancient players like Chew, Ledah, Dhyone, Metal Bunny, and others could definitely help with identifying old quests worth salvaging.

Second point: You know that billboard thingie at the broken LR bridge? I don't know what the purpose of it is. But I do propose this: It becomes the new quest board. Move the quest doc out of the compass and into a scene item. Players can pick up start points for quests here (Or even "rumors" of such quests-ie riddles that point to a password at a certain location)

Please, leave comments on this idea below (and/or suggestions for quests you REALLY enjoyed in the past-mainly clickie quests, if you have others that were forum-type, please stipulate). This way I can create a tabular data entry of quests for admins to consider (when they ever have time) moving out of RPCQ into A25 (for more permanence) If possible, please spend 30 seconds trying to find forum links to quests. If you can't, still mention, this just might help future endeavors.

Edited by Steno

I love the idea. It seems to be quite a tough work as all the contents behind the clickies are triggered by password without taking into consideration of the context.
It’s better to set up a project and make it collaborative. Team members could line them up in an online collaborative file like google doc.

these, lengthy and permanent quest, I prefer putting them under the quest tab for each player. The billboard could act as an auxiliary or dynamic role, where some short term quests or personal quests will be posted. Or even like a bounty board, trading for some clues or hunting for someone. Thus we could have some super challenging epic quest involving forces worldwide. And as most of these are time limited or rewarded once , it’s more like a contest. 

You mentioned already those I enjoyed the most:

Fyrd's quest; Burns' "Are you afraid of vampires?"; Princ Rhaegar's quest (but this was resumed already, correct?).

Maebius coded a nice tutorial quest as well, can't remember its name but it was centered on Marind Bell if I remember well.

2 hours ago, Steno said:

Second point:

*I think we can all agree on that one :) but there are some plans for it, I think Chewett mentioned those in a forum post I can't find

*not sure who has access to RPCQ content; the thought of bringing old quests back is making me ask some questions:

''A25 is given priority now, but considering the burden clickables, triggers etc put on the server, they should be reserved for more important quests, right? so RPCQ-based quests should be live''

''old quests allude to another MD, of a different reality - how do you choose what to keep and what to discard? by historical value, creativity, complexity or...?'' 

39 minutes ago, Ungod said:

''A25 is given priority now, but considering the burden clickables, triggers etc put on the server, they should be reserved for more important quests, right? so RPCQ-based quests should be live''

''old quests allude to another MD, of a different reality - how do you choose what to keep and what to discard? by historical value, creativity, complexity or...?'' 

To your first point: I'm unsure as to this assertion, I wouldn't know.

Second point: That is a topic for another day. I am merely asking if this were a possibility for now.

Yes MD changes over the years. The scope of this topic were to make this thought-train leave the station of just my singular head. I would think that hopefully no quests were left loved in conversion. However, certainly a scale would be introduced in terms of a quality (I STRONGLY believe that such a scale should be introduced to create meta-data for ALL quests, especially current ones, more data=more information for future quests).

The best source of data about what players like are the CURRENT players who have stayed, a large majority of variables impact who plays MD and who stays, internet access, boredom, free time, outside committments, a feeling of family, of communitas, the search for mystery in this world that Mur successfully created, a love for role-play. I do posit that one of the coolest aspects is the quests. The quests that have stuck with you and possibly changed are by that very quality themselves, worthy of further inspection. If you remembered a quest, it has changed you, in both a MD way, and irl way. Therefore, it should be considered that it has changed the face of MD forever, if however in minute, often imperceptible ways.

(I am writing this while in a meeting, I cannot fully flesh out this concept here. I do propose @Ungod, that you you either splinter this into a future forum topic (if my start of the discussion here warrants sufficient community support to require action), OR a PM where we can flesh out what you mean and what I am trying to communicate, the result of which would become said further forum post.

Edited by Steno

I for one have participated in a few interesting quests, but I've forgotten the details of such. I am not against the idea of bringing back old quests, merely pointing out some difficulties. Well, if you want to go on with this idea, the first steps would be compiling a list with memorable quests (forum links would help in finding them out in the db) and requesting access.

This is potentially long and sweaty work, but it can start with small steps, to see if it's worth it.