Of additional characters in tags and tag descriptors

Aia del Mana

Steps to reproduce this were as follows:

1. Have a tag, or tag description, containing of an apostrophe or line formatting

2. Change the tag to another tag (e.g. by using a tag dispatcher) and then return to the former tag

The result were some additions of the characters "\" and "n" adjacent to the aforementioned. This affects both Tags and their descriptions (e.g.: "Priestess of Moon\'s Light).

896FEDB5-7993-4A1B-8E33-58BC8414FF78.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
On 10/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, Aia del Mana said:

Steps to reproduce this were as follows:

1. Have a tag, or tag description, containing of an apostrophe or line formatting

2. Change the tag to another tag (e.g. by using a tag dispatcher) and then return to the former tag

The result were some additions of the characters "\" and "n" adjacent to the aforementioned. This affects both Tags and their descriptions (e.g.: "Priestess of Moon\'s Light).

896FEDB5-7993-4A1B-8E33-58BC8414FF78.png

Ah thats a right pain!

@Muratus del Mur are you aware of this? I can manually fix it but I'm not sure if this is a tag dispatcher issue that you need to fix?

• Root Admin

@Chewett

I found lots of tags saved with slash \' directly in the db, not sure how this happend but i changed it so they are the string without slashes in the db. Any adding or stripping of slashes should happen only at runtime, not saved.

right now i have other plans i want to focus on, but eventually i will have to test with the Woodcutter's Apprentice tag, and see there how the \' happens and why. I suspect there are multiple places where this happens the wrong way and the tag is escaped using the db_escape function that seems to be adding unnecessary slashes to an already slashed form input. Since i don't want to change a func that i am not fully aware where else its used, i plan to take it out and use mysqli_ related escape funcs, or otherwise clean the string... but again..not sure when  i will, depends how much time i get today.. If its not done today, feel free to fix it  :)

Thanks

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Muratus del Mur said:

but again..not sure when  i will, depends how much time i get today.. If its not done today, feel free to fix it  :)

I have been fixing a lot of them, but will definitely continue to do that :) 

If anyone see's issues, let me know (by posting here or similar) and I can look into it