A Recurrent Nightmare

Lashtal asked me to post the following:

"After 10 years of good sleep, the recurrent nightmare returns! Thanks to awesome coders (Fyrd Argentus and Valoryn) "A recurrent nightmare" is now available to experience yourself. It will bring you deep inside Necrovion and face to face with your subconscious. You will experience the same nightmare I had, its variations and its absurdity. You can start it at the Howling Gates, where a new floating orb appeared. The quest is not a race, so take your time and... sleep on it! Those who end it will be rewarded with a WP... plus something special."

If you have concerns about the content, contact Lashtal.  If you have concerns about bugs, contact Fyrd Argentus.

Technical note - most clickies will end by giving you an important multi-line text, then when you "move on" or such, they give an unimportant banal one-line text and do the clickie refresh in a couple seconds which flushes that final text box.  This is not to worry about.  Just filler.

Unfortunately, depending on where you came from and how fast you moved, it is possible to get a refresh up to 20 seconds after the LAST thing you did, which can seemingly interrupt the npctalk dialog.  If it aborted early, you can re-enter the dialog.  If it dumps you to MDScript but the clickie still appears active orange, please understand it did finish and you can just refresh the screen to get rid of the active orange.  All these clickies do have a normal function of MDScript, which is there if the npctalk finished normally.

Okay, a lot of people are getting refreshes that wipe the text box due to things they had done previously - for instance losing all AP from a NC move apparently gives you a notice box which later causes a refresh in the middle of an npctalk.

For now - please wait at least 20-30 seconds prior to entering an activated clickie, to be sure all resets are cleared.

As a patch, I will set up a "reset" button available to all at the gates until we get this fixed.  No resources are actually consumed before the end.

There is now a reset button for A Recurrent Nightmare.  It is a black rock in the lower left corner of the Howling Gate scene.

Using this will erase all status keys, but will not touch your resources, which are not taken until the end.  However this will let you go through the steps again, and if you wait for system resets before looking, you see can thus see all the text dialogs again, in order.

Once you actually finish the quest, it will disappear.

I hope this solves the issues, but if not, please let me know.

This is my feed back on this quest. If it's not agreed with I'm not to worried about it but I am going to express my thoughts on this quest. 

Firstly I understand that lashtals quest is not supposed to be easy. However I've experienced many issues. 

Firstly it should be noted the quest is based inside of Necro, this basically puts a target on your head to be killed basically for doing a quest. While yes lashtal has agreed to take a break on gateway to try and let people do the quest the death guard will not be there forever and in doing so you may be killed. 

AP is consumed on every single step, while this is nothing new to Necro recently it causes the issue that if you have to click that reset button then you basically wasted and entire day or more depending on the step your on. 

Certain tools are required to get rss needed for the quest that apparently near half the current active population can not get themselves. These leave the option in hoping another player has this rss to buy from and if they don't then you will need to find someone willing to help grab the needed tool for the needed rss. 

Byproduct rss are also needed. This is another big issue due to the reasoning you need to have the exact rss amount described in your clue given. Problem is this certain rss requires knowledge of nameing garasons certain names at certain levels to make them produce the byproduct you are needing and many do not know of the names or method to do so. Further more these byproducts consume more time waiting and also having to rely on having wiiya in your inventory for said garasons to produce said byproducts, while most of current active population is not willing to sell these byproducts.Which leads to that not everyone has wiiya and will have to obtain in some way if able. And wait a fairly long time for production if the production works.

Auto refresh also seems to be an issue, while I had done the solution given to this I was told it's on my end as it shouldn't had refreshed. Well I fail to see how it was on my end when every time I clicked it it auto refreshed but I click anything else no auto refresh happens this includes the bug gardens quest that supposedly has the same refresh issue however I don't experience this issue with the bug gardens quest.  This causes clues to disappear and be lost and leaving a player to either hope the clue is given by the QM or they need to spend twice as much time going to reset the quest and start completely over. 

This is just my assessment on making it to the third clue and in doing so had done nothing but discourage me from wanting to try further, even more so when death guard is done with their break on gateway. I do not think I am the only one discouraged from doing this quest with just these issues alone it makes it highly inconvenient to do. 

While I had hopes for this quest it's been nothing but disappointment. I have more concerns but I'm sure this sums it up. 

Thanks for the quest :)

To add to that, I was at a certain location with in NC, and followed through with a series of clickies and got myself killed and am now "dead". Now I didn't know any better and I assumed it was a part of the quest and followed through with my actions. Very unfair death to a good man working hard on a near impossible quest. 

How ever, I am going to give it time, a little more effort, and see if it's progress able.

2 hours ago, Blackshade Rider said:

Firstly it should be noted the quest is based inside of Necro

See this:

On 6/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, Fyrd Argentus said:

Thanks to awesome coders (Fyrd Argentus and Valoryn) "A recurrent nightmare" is now available to experience yourself. It will bring you deep inside Necrovion and face to face with your subconscious

___

this basically puts a target on your head to be killed basically for doing a quest

Do you really think I would waste months of work (mine and Fyrd's) just to kill a few more people?

People just have to contact me and we'll come to a deal, it's part of the quest.

I've run a spell-doc quest for 6 years now. It's based in Necrovion. Nobody has been killed or harmed.

Ever.

___

AP is consumed on every single step, while this is nothing new to Necro recently it causes the issue that if you have to click that reset button then you basically wasted and entire day or more depending on the step your on.

It took me years to deal with this nightmare and I got no wishpoint... 🤪

Seriously, if you want to get a wishpoint you have to spend some time / effort into it.

It's not an easy quest, that's for sure. I hope it's entertaining.

___

About resources, tools, wiiya... It takes time, it takes dedication, it takes helps from others, it uses some mechanics that were forgotten or simply not used in a long while.

Most people farm and train creatures for stats. You can train grasans to get the resources you need.

As for the correct names for the grasans, just open the announcements page, it's all there.

___

3 hours ago, Blackshade Rider said:

Auto refresh also seems to be an issue, while I had done the solution given to this I was told it's on my end as it shouldn't had refreshed. Well I fail to see how it was on my end when every time I clicked it it auto refreshed but I click anything else no auto refresh happens this includes the bug gardens quest that supposedly has the same refresh issue however I don't experience this issue with the bug gardens quest.  This causes clues to disappear [...]

If you feel you lost part of the story / clues, please message me (either here or in game) and explain what you were doing. I'll resume any piece of information you might have lost.

2 hours ago, death ray said:

To add to that, I was at a certain location with in NC, and followed through with a series of clickies and got myself killed and am now "dead". Now I didn't know any better and I assumed it was a part of the quest and followed through with my actions. Very unfair death to a good man working hard on a near impossible quest. 

That scene has nothing to do with my quest.

If you assumed it was you either rushed and didn't read carefully or you misunderstood some part.

To everybody: Trail of Agony is a deadly place, actually one of the two within Necrovion(-ish).

Be careful, Necrovion is a dangerous place (even with death patrols on vacation!).

1 hour ago, Fyrd Argentus said:

Had nothing to do with the quest.  I've testing repeatedly and never had this occur.

As I said, not knowing better I thought it was part of the quest. Which to me it made sense that it was considering the name of the quest. But it's OK. Live and learn. And I've learnt a few things through this mishap 

• 2 weeks later...

The quest has been launched 2 weeks ago, 2 weeks of break from my patrolling duty.

As soon as day 174 starts, I'll resume my usual activity.

If you are inside Necrovion for "A recurrent nightmare" quest, contact me and we'll come to a deal.

Otherwise you'll be killed on sight.

Thanks for your understanding.