Delayed System/Scene refresh

Fyrd Argentus

This is a nuisance with Bug Gardens.  It's a big problem with A Recurrent Nightmare.

Various things can cause a refresh to occur up to 20 seconds after the trigger.  This totally interrupts any npctalk dialog and makes a chaotic mess of things.

I'm thinking either all refreshes need to be cleared and resolved before the npctalk is entered, or delayed until after.  npctalks must not be interrupted this way, or all is chaos.

This solution did not work for me. After resetting the quest and spending half a day to get back to the step I was it did the same thing. I waited longer than 20-30 seconds. Maybe a full minute just to be sure no auto refresh would happen. It still auto refreshes as soon as I preform the task, and still and won't give you enough time for the clue. 

Fortunately I was extremely lucky in getting a SS right before it refreshed so I now have my clue, but it's highly inconvenient considering all AP is lost each move in necro and having to go all the way back to reset in hopes you may get the clue the following time.

However in the clue I was able to SS before it auto refreshed I notice a tab I was supposed to click to move on to the next clue. Since it auto refreshed I am unable to pull it back up to click that tab so I can continue the quest. Another highly inconvenient issue. 

This leads me to believe I'm going to have to restart this quest for a third time and possibly hoping for a different outcome but does not seem promising it will work a third time. 

This issue basically is causing the quest to not be functioning the way it is supposed to. And with the issue of AP being consumed every step and then it not working after spending 2 days just trying to do the first two clues it's over all almost completely not worth the time. 

Can we get this fixed please? Or the quest taken down until the issue is fixed? Cause now I'm having to restart a second time after the same thing happened and I did the solution your provided, but this solution did NOT work. 

The very final box is just for flavor, not a clue.  Stuff like "The mundane world awaits".  Sounds like you did a SS of the actual clue.

The clue box specifically is set to NOREFRESH so it is not the source of your reset problem.  The second box is just there so you can wait on the actual refresh.

If you're encoutering a refresh issue while on "Recurrent nightmare" quest, please consider what I wrote in that thread:

If you feel you lost part of the story / clues, please message me (either here or in game) and explain what you were doing. I'll resume any piece of information you might have lost.

Thanks for your patience and for your understanding.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, Fyrd Argentus said:

The very final box is just for flavor, not a clue.  Stuff like "The mundane world awaits".  Sounds like you did a SS of the actual clue.

The clue box specifically is set to NOREFRESH so it is not the source of your reset problem.  The second box is just there so you can wait on the actual refresh.

Once again while continuing this quest the very same spot has a auto refresh issue. I've done every single solution and I know for a FACT it is not on my end. Deathmarrow is the ONLY scene of the quest that keeps doing this and causing clues to disappear from auto refreshing. So I'll ask again for this to be check cause this is the 4th time and every single time it's only this scene 

Okay, I've done a fix of sorts for BSR's problem.

The previous code was proof against any reset caused internally by the code.  External (to the clickie) system resets are another matter, and seem to depend on deeper code/machine/OS/browser/whatever - and are outside my control.  It works for most, but apparently not all.

Now, if an external reset comes, you can just re-enter the clickie and try again.  However there is a slim chance you'll see the clue and then the reset comes before the next text box sets the keys for the next quest step.  Be alert for this situation, and repeat the sequence to get both the clue and the quest key resets to move on.

BSR, contact me or lashtal directly for which clues you need to hear.

2 hours ago, Chewett said:

Can anyone explain why BSR is seeing these random refreshes?

can someone work with BSR to create a proof of concept?

I'm willing to help find this proof, but I have finished Lashtals quest so I can not recreate it on this account. However I have not finished Fyrds bug garden quest and it is said that quest has the same issue. So maybe I can help figure it out. 

Just let me know thanks 

What I am trying to do with A25 tools is set up quests where you move from clickie to clickie within a scene, doing something at each station that changes the status and/or visibility of all the clickies, especially turning OFF a clickie just used.  Normally you would expect this to be via a key reset.  However, using npctalk dialogs, the refresh (to show new key status) is delayed after exiting the first clickie by up to 20 seconds, and if you enter the next clickie/npctalk the refresh will interrupt the second npctalk at a random place -- not good.

This is easily demonstrated at bug gardens, where improving one plot and moving too quickly to the next plot causes interruption of the second plot's npctalk.  I explained this away as "heat stroke from working too hard" and encouraged players to slow down, but....

When the last box of an npctalk ends with a reset w/refresh command, the text on that final box vanishes quickly, before a long text could be read.  This is annoying, but can be worked around.

However, refreshes seem to occur for other reasons than triggering by npctalk.  Some scenes seem to have an extra refresh built in (possibly the case at Deathmarrow?), possibly due to other stuff going on there.  In NC in particular, each step gives a dialog box about ap being lost, then later a delayed refresh.

BSR seems to be running a system/browser/interface (?) that gets more refreshes than what I'm running (mac/os High Sierra/Chrome).  To test this sort of thing, you'd need someone with access to multiple portals to the realm.  I'm not sure where to start. {Edit: Death Ray running a Chromebook with Google Chrome does not have this issue either.}

My suggestion is to simply make refreshes BLOCKED (or perhaps held off) while an npctalk is running, then run all the saved up ones IMMEDIATELY after exiting npctalk.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus
Added Death Ray's details

1 hour ago, Fyrd Argentus said:

seems to be running a system/browser/interface (?) that gets more refreshes than what I'm running (mac/os High Sierra/Chrome).  To test this sort of thing, you'd need someone with access to multiple portals to the realm.  I'm not sure where to start. {Edit: Death Ray running a Chromebook with Google Chrome does not have this issue either.}

Right now my laptop is needing replacement so I mostly have been using my Google pixel with chrome browser