Repeated Aggressors

Liberty4life

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm on the list but I have been attacking people within the marble dale park without asking if the opponent wanted to fight, and I want to apologize to everyone who might have been offended, I'm still new to the game and I didn't know about the dojo rules until today. [i](I registered about 2 weeks ago but have only played for 4-5 days)[/i]

A big thanks to XinHun who talked to me in the game and explained the rules. I didn't mean to break the rules and I will be more careful from now on.

I was going around in Marble Dale Park and just attacking without asking. I didn't know anything about the dojo and others have attacked me without asking in those areas 100% of the time I was attacked there. I cannot speak for those who attacked me, but I will not attack anyone in the specified areas without asking. I am new to this, only been on for a few days. I am sorry for anyone who I attacked wrongfully.

lol ledah, that means you are on "other" part of list, which is handled directly by dojo staff, and since thats you, i think you are probably on the special place in list, lol, well this list is just one part of the whole thing, and you was probably a very bad boy, thats what happens to one who doesnt respects dojo :D

PS
wot only 24hours?? eh you were lucky XD

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Grim Angel' post='23957' date='Jan 19 2009, 05:55 PM']I am, quite frankly, dissapointed. I was put in a dream for 24 hrs+ by Calyx. I mean, what does a guy have to do to be put on the list?[/quote]
[b]What's the deal, you guys want to be on the Dojo's shit list? If so, just tell me and I will be happy to oblige you.[/b] However... the Dojo is moving to a location with an actual open air dojo scene and those on the shit list will be banned from entry. No more dreams, no more chasing after you. You just won't be able to come in for varying periods of time, perhaps permanently.

I have been discussing these thing with [color="#CC0000"]Mur[/color] and banning is something he is working on. If you want, I can arange for this, too.

Wish you guys wanted to cooperate and work with other as much as you want to be disruptive simply to upset people.

[quote name='cryxus' post='27091' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:53 PM']banning people for breaking dojo rules is simply too excessive...[/quote]
Please note, this is not a ban from the game, but a ban only from the dedicated Dojo location we will soon have. I asked for bans of 3 hr, 6 hr, 12 hr, 1 day, 3 days. I have asked for the spell to expel the person from the Dojo and keep them out for a period. Most bans will be brief. What Mur will do, I do not know.

What is excessive are players that make repeated attacks in front of staff, are abusive to the staff, and go "nyah, nyah, you can't touch me."

It is very hard on the staff and even harder on me and my second in command (presently Jazira). Many real world responses to such players and events are not possible in MD. We cannot see an attack before it happens, so we cannot prevent it. We cannot see a fight as it happens, so we cannot break it up. And we cannot even see the fight after the attack unless it is reported. Some, for instance, Renavoid, have suggested that when persistent offenders enter the dojo the be mass attacked by all present. However, this may not be possible given varying MP levels and alliance affiliation, and it is just not the right response — it amounts to vigilante justice which is quite error prone. So, just what are we supposed to do!?

In the real world such people would be ejected and prevented entry until they had calmed down and shown they deserved another chance. We have no effective ways to post guards at the gates to the dojo. The eject/ban spell seems to be the most sensible way to handle the problem. It is also the only way that denies bullies the rewards they get when they attack without permission.

Long term banning is excessive in almost all cases. In the seven months the dojo has been in existence, only one player has earned a spot on that list, JesusFaction. It's tempting to put Ledah and a few others there, but at this time they are not candidates for that list. And even there I want the option to take people off the list as well as put them on it.

I am constantly trying to adapt to the evolving situation. I am looking for solutions that can be put in place at the time attacks occur, meaning spells that can be give to accredited staff member. Longer bans require staff at higher levels, and long term banning only in my hands or the hands of whoever succeeds me. Short terms bans are the first idea I've had that I think Mur will support. He has been quite responsive to this issue in the last few days.

-----------------------------Edited------------Reason:Dojo in another place.

One advice: In the moment this ban is created Dojo and other Training areas will lose their appeal and the belief of a place free of worries,other day i was on MR Training Ground and almost got "banned" just cause i was in bad temper(i asked help there in what i should use and got a rude answer from another player then Rotting Carcass came by and attacked me and asked me why i didnt have a def rit set up, i being still angry made a retort that sounded more like mocking than apology,although later he understood me and even we became friends it could have gonne in the other way if it was someone short tempered like the guy i asked.)

Though its just my humble opinion,but one thing is sure if that ban happens i really wont respect anymore the dojo although i will obey the rules wont have any positive things to say about it,its just how i feel being my sense of freedom in this game becoming retaliated by something that i helped/incentivated to create.

Treehill, you might wish to reexamine several of Calyx of Isis' last few posts.

She is not seeking to ban people from the current location in the Marble Dale Park, but a new, different, and dedicated location where the Dojo will be set up.

She is not looking to ban people from the current location, but from the future one.

[quote name='Watcher' post='27121' date='Mar 14 2009, 04:47 AM']Treehill, you might wish to reexamine several of Calyx of Isis' last few posts.

She is not seeking to ban people from the current location in the Marble Dale Park, but a new, different, and dedicated location where the Dojo will be set up.

She is not looking to ban people from the current location, but from the future one.[/quote]

Oh okay...sorry its kinda late here and reading all post before this page would give me headaches...but i still stick up with my opinion,except the one about navigating through MD just erase that.

Calyx, I have an idea for you.

Banning a player from the dojo, for any amount of time, does solve your problem, but it also creates a new one. The problem is of course that players are attacking others in the dojo, which is against the rules you have in place. However, your solution of banning also addresses a problem that does NOT exist: chat, and general motion.

Banning prevents a player from fighting, it is true, but it also takes away other privileges that are NOT the problem.

Instead of banning, address only the problem by making the dojo a sanctuary for repeat offenders. If you want a roleplay reason, their creatures are bound at the door of the dojo because of their violent tendencies, and thus they cannot attack another player. This allows them to continue to enter the dojo and talk to other people, but the problem of fighting is solved.

Awi

Awiiya, I must cast some doubt on the premise which you base your suggestion. From observing the happenings within the Dojo, those who violate it seldom, if ever, choose to speak. I find it difficult to believe that one whose sole desire is the continual violation the Dojo for easy wins - for what other reason is there for such behavior? - ever wishes to stay within it to have a conversation of any great significance.

While the idea is sound and worthy of investigation, I must also question how much work would have to go into choosing who would be tagged as a violator and then tagged again to make the area a sanctuary for this person while simultaneously ensuring that the Dojo performs as desired for the remaining people within in its designated area. Surely, ejecting the violator from the area is the simpler solution of those proffered? However, let it be known that simple is not always best.

Nevertheless, for the ease of King M. and the others involved, the ejection solution seems to be the best of those presented.