Credits you say? Make that more like credit cause I already see a possible exploit :).
And probably the shop will be the best idea. Why? Because of this: I am online when you put up the avis. I buy several on different alts then I use them as trading material :( (unless....you want to turn avis into currency).

• Root Admin

feel free to split this if its too offtopic

what if the avys could be set up for auction once bought and the owner to get half of the sum. Still you can get multiple accounts to start auctions :(

or if avys get taken by force once you exceed 100 consecutive inactive days..because currently there are over 400 avys and yet only a few get used actively. In this case what happens with characters that are legends in their own way and even if not active , they should not lose the avy.

avys are worth far more than you pay for so if you are given less when putting them back up you wont do that but if you get more you will abuse it with multiple accounts or by repeating it.

i don't have an issue with turning avys into tradable goods

Hmm...let's see (my personal view on the matter):
-I don't agree with the auction (it's probably the form that can be abused the most)
-100 consecutive days...that could work. I know there are lot of avis out there that are lost. Also I agree that legendary players should keep their avis but hey! how many players are there? 10? 20? 30? (I stick to 10 :) so you can adjust that manually for the moment.
-I am not saying: put back the avi for free. No! But the amount of credits received should be equal to the one paid (like a refund). Or maybe 1$ more to "reward" the gesture.
- Avis as tradable goods? :) Look at my scenario:
I have 10$ and 10 accounts: I buy avis one by one and transfer them to alts (you can't do it easier then this: you almost always have money on your main). Then trade them for whatever I dream during the night :(

So...probably the only 2 ideas that stand are the one with the avis from old characters and the "return to the roots" aka shop (for a symbolic fee).

• Root Admin

once you reach the avatar item in the shop, even if you payed a lot to get there, you can buy any avy for 1$ anytime and you can change it for as many times you want. It wont be fair to give each time more than 1$ because that will easily get abused and create a avatar shopping source of income.

i think also the 100 days one plus the permanents that remain, but also tradeable avys could be an option because trade will allways adapt to the importance and real value of the avys. If the shop will have new avys for 1 $ the trade will stop, if the shop will have none, the trade will grow.

Then I misunderstood, I thought it was avy for avy. This'll create a mess through, whoever get's on first buys them all and gives them to alts/friends... Either for later trading or people with under 100 days/no credits will get them as well.

• Root Admin

fine tuned theory:

the avy that you buy and hold (no more) you can send to an other player that has the avy feature active and at least 2 credits (cost will be 2 credits for that player). In return you do not get those two credits so you will have to negociate a trading value for the avy. The 2 credits go to MD.

In the case that this will build a market of avys and for example when i post 50 avys they vanish in the hands of traders, this will raise the value of avys and if they do not get sold they will be put at risk by the new avys next time i put an avy pack up. That way the avy price will be according to the market demand.

I like the renewal of the avatars. I had no idea that there were 400 avatars. I was aware of maybe 30ish.

A halfway decent solution is a time limit on purchasing/selling avatars. So if you purchase an avatar you have to keep it for a month. And to prevent Traders from using their alts to buy up all the avatars, put a limit on how many avatars you can purchase on a single IP for a set time limit. Perhaps two a month?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' post='34102' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:37 PM']I like the renewal of the avatars. I had no idea that there were 400 avatars. I was aware of maybe 30ish.

A halfway decent solution is a time limit on purchasing/selling avatars. So if you purchase an avatar you have to keep it for a month. And to prevent Traders from using their alts to buy up all the avatars, put a limit on how many avatars you can purchase on a single IP for a set time limit. Perhaps two a month?[/quote]

Nope as with everything IP based its easy to use a proxy.

But there will need to be some way of stopping people buying up avvies and monopolising them

Edited by Chewett

Well, how about we research a way to restrict the use of proxies? I am sure there is a way to do so. The only suggestion that MAY work, is to increase the price of avatars so that they are not so easily obtainable.

It is sad that we must find ways to prevent people from being selfish.

yeah, really sad... maybe we should throw them into prison for longer terms... =P

there is no real way to know alts from real players, and a whole lot of players have more than one 'playing' acc...
maybe it should be put online just the way it is, without restrictions whatsoever, and if there are really people who make a profession of selling avis, they should be singled out manually...

and, to make it less attractive, selling an avi to another player should cost 2-3 creds in MD-shop, like choosing a new one costs 1, so people don't do it just for fun with their alts...

it should be a decision for almost ever to buy an avy, and not one to strike bargains, imo :/

• Root Admin

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' post='34106' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:00 PM']Well, how about we research a way to restrict the use of proxies? I am sure there is a way to do so. The only suggestion that MAY work, is to increase the price of avatars so that they are not so easily obtainable.

It is sad that we must find ways to prevent people from being selfish.[/quote]

Proxies are so easy to use there is no real way of stopping them. Unless you have a really good idea

If you make the AD requirement high it will limit the amount of avvies alts can buy. If i remember its hidden well into one of the shops and already have an AD requirement. Perhaps this needs to be made larger

This would take the chance of younger players to get one though. AD I mean..

And Fenrir, if you do manage to find a solution against proxies that works to 90% or higher, I'll give you 3 drachorns, that is if I get the entire rights on the idea and code used.

What's teh point of having trade-able Avys? I could understand how someone might want a new one and want to get some of their credits back. Why not let a person sell an avatar for a one credit personal gain? That way there'd be no point in exploiting them, but those who are leaving MD/want a new Avatar can sell their old one. I suppose you could make it so that the avatar costs two credits and the person selling it only gets one. As long as the seller doesn't get more than he paid for it it can't be exploited.

because, dear Guy, you underestimate how viciously creative we are when it comes to personal gain *mwahaha*

it's not just creds which help you in one way or the other, it's mostly about knowledge, and a bit about creatures, if you want to fight a lot...

if i could sell an avi for a cred, i could still get anything else for it ina ddition to the cred, that's the whole point of this topic... and you won't find a way to make sure it doesn't happen XD