Old accounts deleted

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

Today (its running while i write this actualy) i deleted old inactive accounts.
I am sad to tell that it was a huge number of accounts removed, 121000 out of about 156000. I checked several times to make sure i am not deleting the wrong accounts.

The accounts along with the associated data, creatures, docs, messages, etc, were transfered to a backup table and they will remain there untill the next cleanup that will be probably done in two/three month or so.

Tehnicaly they can be recovered but i do not have a way yet to do that easily. I hope everything went right and then there is no need to recover anything, but if somehow i deleted IMPORTANT accounts, please post here and i will conduct an investigation and recove whatever i can from them. Do not bother me for alts that are 10-20 days old. Once i will finish a system to recover these accounts automaticaly, you will see this option when trying to register or login with such a disabled account, but untill then its dificult, but possible, to recover them if realy needed.

The rules used to determine the inactive accounts are these:

- More than 2 month since last login and less than 5 active days and no valid email confirmed
- More than 4 month since last login and less than 10 active days
- More than 6 month since last login and less than 40 active days
- More than 8 month since last login
- All rules filter out also NPC and RPC accounts (but not PWR)

Please let me know if you consider there is a problem with these rules.

Important note, the avatars of such disabled accounts will go back in the avatar gallery and will be available for anyone to get. There are over 400 avatars in game right now but in time many accounts become inactive so their avatars go wasted without good reason.

I will update you as soon as the process is finished, right now its still running and seems to be very very slow. I hope that after this the database will be much faster. The player table alone had over 1Gb in size.

Hmm... I hope it isn't too long until this is finished. I, not to mention hundreds of others, might explode of boredom. By the way, thanks for letting me become an author in MDA. :D

I'm working on an MDA Article while I'm waiting.

Fawe, does that mean you can edit it yourself? You don't need anyone else to do it for you?

I think the query should be enlarged a bit. I think inactivity for 6 months period should be gone. If you haven't played MD for 6 months(Not even a check up), you are not coming back.

Edited by Fenrir Greycloth

Yes, Fenrir, it does. I can not only edit, but I can create my own article, which is what I'm doing. It might be finished by tomorrow, because it's quite long.

I posted a new topic, by the way. Does anyone care to tell me whether or not the diamond that appears to veteran's profiles ends on a different color for a reason? :D

• Root Admin

6 months is actually quite a short period if you think about it. I spent 6 months away from the game and wouldnt have liked to have my account deleted (well it was reset but thats not the point)

I personally think its too harsh since some games i drift in and out of then happily seeing my char hasnt been deleted.

I agree with Chewett. Also, you never know when reality calls you and you have more impt. things to do besides playing a game at the moment.

• Root Admin

But for example everyone remember Glaistig? *gasp* not him i hear you say. He thinks he will come back once he has sorted his life and this will be a year + so if he comes back he will come back to his account deleted.

I personally think that half a year means a lot to MD and a lot of things happen during that period. So if, for more then 6 month you don't log in or keep connection to the game, you can be removed. Also think at the alts made (hmm Lib entered with all the libs in last 6 months ?:D) and that are forgotten out there.

In 6 month if you hit 1 log in you are safe from the delete button. Plus, anything can happen in 6 month .i mean..it is half a year :D , your role will be lost and only few of us will remember that, mostly the veterans, that if you are not an RPC and you survive the delete button for that reason, but even as an RPC you are forgotten.

If someone really wants to come back later will hit the log in at least 1 per week, if not daily for the active days. *points at the veterans that does not play but get the active days*

LE:

As an adding to what Grido said:

[quote]The accounts along with the associate data, creatures, docs, messages, etc, were transfered to a backup table and they will remain there until the next cleanup that will be probably done in two/three month or so.[/quote]

So, only after 8-9 month your account will be deleted complete and with no option to resurrect it. I personally think this is more then reasonable.

[quote name='Chewett' post='35358' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:00 AM']6 months is actually quite a short period if you think about it. I spent 6 months away from the game and wouldnt have liked to have my account deleted (well it was reset but thats not the point)

I personally think its too harsh since some games i drift in and out of then happily seeing my char hasnt been deleted.[/quote]

well..u dont have to be "come back"..
just log in then log out back..it'll reset u'r inactive days counter
it probably take 5 minutes only...

What's the problem? Death Bell's post or Mur's absence?

*is panicking* :P not! I'll just make a new account. That way, I'll be more successful than I was before. And my e-mail accounts will be free to use.

(Hehehe, sorry. I'm what you call an over-optimist.)

since this problem is too high.... can i go out and kill people for fun.... since killing is FUN... :spiteful:

WELL I CAN ONLY SAY ONE THING... DON'T EVER [b]ASSUME[/b] ANYTHING: let me explain

When you [b]ASSUME[/b] you usually make a [b]ASS[/b] out of [b]U[/b] and [b]ME[/b]

hehe hope u all got it :P