No More Rpc

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

So, here it goes.
One of the concepts i was most proud of, has to stop.
I concluded that giving power to a person will destroy its creativity. The stress can increase even without a real base. Tell someone stories about how much he has to do and how high is his responsability and he will crash in stress, even if he has nothing to do. The opposite goes to, give someone a lot of work to do but make it so that he does not see it as a duty or responsability and he will work but not get tired of it.

One of the things that bothered me most with rpcs were the inactive ones. How can i keep reputation up, people to respect you, when you are not active. If i start to demote rpcs for any reason, they will lose authority and people will not respect them anymore anyway.
If i let them be, they become a terrible example to other people and those that deserve a higher role and better abilities will be discouraged by being ignored, repeatedly, by me, by them...by everyone.

I did not demote the last RPC pack, i relieved them from duty. Its a big difference.

In this way some of the rpcs that worked for their role and kept it active will have nothing to suffer while those that remained rpcs just for the sake of it will simply vanish.

What i think will happen? More freedom of characters overall, better legends, a lot more abuses but i hope for the best (they will shape the md world in a way)

The spells of the last rpc group will be partialy removed , some of the spells will remain as administrative spells only. All will receive a pack of wishpoints, transferable, so that they can reward them for their quests. I am thinking to create a similar think like the credit bonus codes but for WP, so you will have codes for wp. In that way you could hide them, transfer them, trade them, etc. but i am not sure if it fits with the general ideea of wp being based only on your merit.

I am sorry for the increasingly better rpc system, the regenerable wps, and more .. i will have to adapt them for an other thing now. Don't worry, nothing gets lost.

The dots will get removed too. The dot markings will be used for something else.

At this point, the power situation in md is this. Individual characters have more freedom. I will not support moderator activities, rule reinforcing, etc. You will have to do it with your own abilities or support the consequences. Don't come to me to complain one or an other player is abusing that and that, take action yourself. But also don't come to me that you were punished for no reason, if that person was able to do it, he can do it.
The Land kings will get my support with their abilities and my advice with their decisions. If they can bring order to their land, very well, if not, we shall see. Do not underestimate their power please, i will increase it accordingly to the situation untill i see they can handle any issue on their own.

So you have kings and freedom, i suggest you find a middle path on that, or it will become civil war and kings _will win_, at least in the initial stages when i have to focus on improving king abilities.

Compare it with the fall of polytheism in favor of monotheism, many rpcs fall, a few single rulers raise. If it will follow 2000 years of darkness thats something to see.
There is an other force at work except the kings, i announce it once on the newslog as a secret feature, but i don't think its time you know about what i talk, or it will ever be. For now that force is much better than any kings or rpc ruling anything.

Once MD will be fully automated yet keeping the human decision factor as a main driving force, i will be happy. I will step down from being its developer and i will be one of its inhabitants, abusing all the special (but limited)
powers i will be able to put in my traveling bag to take with me.

Look a bit back ... fixed rewards were replaced with a nice flexible wish shop, turning quest wp rewards or any wp in permanent abilities or nice advantages. Rpcs got removed, an other step towards automation. Kings will receive predefined god-moded accounts, next kings will share same accounts. Random decisions based on my good or bad will were replaced by carefully analyzed votes, that in time will probably turn in community decided votes.
These are not steps to a more fair MD, but to a more automated MD, while keeping the human decision the main thing.

MD is and always be a flavored world, both for bad and for good, it will never be an ideal world. Its not and will not be perfect in any way. Its "perfection" if i can call it so, comes from all its little imperfections. That is my view of it.

Dividing players in citizens will guide the conflicts and will give more reason. It will also integrate with the factions system i kept delaying for aparently no reason. It was a intuitive reason. Not al things were ready to move on, and at that time i had no idea what was missing. I still feel some things need to come in place before proceeding. It might be the long lost "scholars" feature, or other things already in the engine but not on screen. I will see. What i know for sure is that everything i have done for , in or about MD was good and according to a main feeling i always had.

It shouldn't be a sad day at all Fenrir... we RPCs got recognition for our abilities to be capable individuals within the community. The title was supposed to signify something that already was in effect, and to give us more capabilities to run quests, and things of the like, and now that things are moving to a more automated system, and the fact they we (the RPCs) havent been working together as effectively as any of us would have liked, perhaps it is better to return to the former.

I gotta say that I for one am not sad, I thank you all for everything, and Mur for giving me the privledge of being a RPC, it's something I feel fortunate to have experienced.

But it is key to remember that every begining come from the end of something else, so the best that there is to do is to sally forth and try to find a better way.

Again, thank you all

With love and respect,
~Captain Cryxus X'hal

Edited by cryxus

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='14 October 2009 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1255524136' post='44651']
In this way some of the rpcs that worked for their role and kept it active will have nothing to suffer while those that remained rpcs just for the sake of it will simply vanish.
[/quote]

I agree, the days of RPC fat cats are gone, and there is a good amount of independance in that. Also, a metaphorical muzzle has been removed. Which should be very interesting.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='14 October 2009 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1255524136' post='44651']
At this point, the power situation in md is this. Individual characters have more freedom. I will not support moderator activities, rule reinforcing, etc. You will have to do it with your own abilities or support the consequences. Don't come to me to complain one or an other player is abusing that and that, take action yourself. But also don't come to me that you were punished for no reason, if that person was able to do it, he can do it.
The Land kings will get my support with their abilities and my advice with their decisions. If they can bring order to their land, very well, if not, we shall see. Do not underestimate their power please, i will increase it accordingly to the situation untill i see they can handle any issue on their own.
[/quote]

So, in essence, you are taking away power from moderators, giving it to Kings, an automated system and those with the ability to punish.

How can it be that individuals have more freedom, the ability to punish and no backing from yourself, yet, Kings, recieve your support, your advice and a granting of power. I do hope that those Kings will also recieve the full weight of your punishment if they fail.

These are not steps to a more fair MD, but to a more automated MD, while keeping the human decision the main thing.
[/quote]

I fear that MD will become a homogeneous environment, with no influence from people. When the AL was suspended to reduce "interference" I thought, well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the interactive Adventure Log? How will human decision impact things in an automated system? Through the use of community votes only, or some other mechanism? I like knowing that I can change things in my world, and I hope that remains.

What i know for sure is that everything i have done for , in or about MD was good and according to a main feeling i always had.
[/quote]

I raise questions and criticize because I care. A lot has happened in the past weeks and it seems that a lot of things just fell apart. I look forward to the future of things to come.

I'm SOO looking forward to a few of the old RPCs and about 20 'normal' players leaving =DDD

FINALLY, no more hope for special treatments and extra features for all the weaklings just because they took time to make some half-decent papers, now it's WORK for abilities!
may the grinders rule MD! *mwahaha*

oh, on a side note, i wonder how we are going to get WP now, too... hopefully trough damn hard, dirty, bloody work^^

Edited by Chewett
Removed Profanity probably

[quote name='Burns' date='14 October 2009 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1255536392' post='44664']

FINALLY, no more hope for special treatments and extra features for all the weaklings just because they took time to make some half-decent papers, now it's WORK for abilities!
may the grinders rule MD! *mwahaha*

[/quote]
You know, RPCs gone doesn't mean PWRs are gone.. It's still gonna be pretty much the same, don't you think? Just now there won't be any mini-mods around anymore.

Pfah, I barely had any abilities to begin with. The one who will be clipped the most is the one who is going to miss their spells the most.

I didn't have any spells except for 1 bugged one and a spell doc giver.
Seriously, when I became RPC, over a year ago, I had less abilities than some of you PWR's have.
So.. de facto, not a lot changes for me. I'll just feel naked :P

• Root Admin

at this point (for the future too) PWR = RPC.

i will think about one of the names and throw the other.
..or both afterall, since i will not be the one givning statuses.

wp can be distributed in MANY places.

i have a good plan for this i think.
there will be two types of WPs, the potential, the activated and the used wp...well thats 3 :P .. the activated and the used stages you already know.
The potential WP are wp that someone can give away but not use, like rpcs had so far, only now they will be in a fixed form not in a regenerable form.

Reaching an achievement could give a wp for example. The collector concept is a main base for md in many aspects so why not reward achievements collectors too.

potential wp (not sure about the final name for this) will be rewarded based on what quests you create. Sort of a sponsorship.
You do a nice quest, it gets reviewed, you receive wp rewards to give to your winners.

RPC system will slowly fade in the MD inner gears like many other features did. A lot of MD is covered or lost in time. The illusions for example, slowly get lost if not finished. Only thing i can try to do is to keep all these things in a good logical condition so that they will be like lego pieces later and to play with them depending on occasion, keeping them partialy alive.
For example illusions activated by spells, or better said spells with effect being an illusion, are ultra powerful. You could do ANYTHING to a character yet no permanent damage.

The land spells, like the one to open necro gates, those are also a different category of features, used very little compared to what could be. All these features work together, at this point MD is a anormous machiene. Even if i dream about its code so to say and i know by heart almost all of it. There are A LOT of features that i forgot about. In 5 years of work, at my speed, ..and no i am not modest at all.... a lot of things get done.

My biggest nightmare is that i will die without bringing all features integrated one with the other and all with the players and a big part of md will die forgotten somewhere within the long pages of code. If i stop now, md dies. it is not independent enough to survive, regardless of all its many features. The wish shop is porbably the most important part to integrate things. WP can unlock things that nothing else could, and through the wish shop a lot of the forgotten features could be available to the players...
but i stoped working on that too.
i stoped working on spells
i stoped finishing the huge land of the tribunals that also holds amazing things
i stoped finishing the illusion stage, that is 90% done, actualy more even, but i couldnt find a good use for it.
i stoped working on achievements
i stoped working on the new combat mechanism that would have changed md entirely
i stoped a lot of things like adding new creatures, coloring final stages of premium ones, finishing creature recruit places in other lands etc
i stoped the avatar transfer option
i stoped the md script that would have changed the way quests are done
i didnt finished a long series of features i begun long ago, like k docs integrated in wp shop, scolars (u have no clue whats that), multiple pages for the docs, quest review by players, etc..
i never finished to integrate spell docs, inner magic, etc
i never finished the plans i had to make avys submitable by players from within the game , automating the avy production
i never finished to integrate principles the way i wanted ...

it hurts , i am lookign at a md that is like a dome ... it could be the greatest dome ever and withstand enormous pressures , or it could collapse if not finished up to the top.

On top of that financial is also crap, due to the exclusivist nature of md, and the world economy issues, income to make it grow lowered so much that i can only keep its hosting payed .. but ads ? Anyway, thats last concern actualy.

i feel tired, i feel chased by you when i login, i feel oftenly disrespected by some that forget how much i care about MD, its slowly fading away for me. I am making alts to see you play without you praying to an invisible god, to see the general feeling of md. I am daily tempted more and more to drop Murs account and just start do my puzzles and quests...and speaking of that

..i stoped making quests and puzzles. I have a lot standing here, plans, sketches, even paper models of my latest "inventions" if i could say so.
i stoped the black letters plans that are one of my masterpieces so to say, the most amazing riddle concept i did so far.

i stoped so many things, and one day i will stop myself too.

I just wish everything to be how it was when it was king manu, the enthusiasm, the plans ... not the worries that i will never finish the planed features, not the argues with the players and the shit i had to drive myself into for nothing.

I don't want a Mur-driven MD, i want just a MD, one that i can watch, improve, love.

enough offtopic,
sry i had to say all that.
no need to reply on it.

Mur, I must apologize. I feel that I have failed you. I do not think I am the only one to have done so, but I can only accept blame for my own failings.

This Festival of Pain has been eye-opening for me. Things must change, and you are, as always, taking the burden of catalyst for change on your own shoulders.

I can only offer a hope for things to get better: that I will improve as a player, and that MagicDuel will grow stronger as a community... in large part, because of what you have done.

And I can offer my gratitude. I thank you, Mur, for an extraordinary year.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='15 October 2009 - 07:11 AM' timestamp='1255554681' post='44688']
Reaching an achievement could give a wp for example. The collector concept is a main base for md in many aspects so why not reward achievements collectors too.
[/quote]
Will this be possible to claim on achievements you have already reached?

Back on topic:
With the removal of RPC's, what is going to happen to the MD Shop item in the Extra Features section that allows you to use the RPC list to locate the RPC's? Will it be adapted to fit the new role of locating whoever appears on the new list (as I suspect)? Will it be removed from the shop until a new use for it is implemented?

i can only say that i love the game :P iam not that old and stil feel like a newbee at most ;) but i have the utmost respect for you M this ruling is costing you dearly (time, frustraition, money) and i can understand that you want it automated.

I will love this game and i will alwys love this game also in rl there are changes we must adapt to so why not here:)

and someday somehow i will get the new ways *chuckles* atleast i hope so (stil not understanding the fighting stesteem :P)

Edited by ladytwin

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='15 October 2009 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1255607661' post='44729']
will probably be adapted to enhance the future rpc list page with what will contain.
[/quote]
Good to know, wouldn't want such a usefull tool to be lost (as so many others have, often through neglect on the part of the ones granted them)

• Root Admin

I am SICK to hear former rpcs complain about their spells being limited now, or that they miss dream ability or that some other cool ability they once had is missing now. It makes me sick. For once put yourself in comparison to all other that NEVER had any of your abilities, they don't complain because they never had the chance to receive somthing that they can lose after.

You feel disrepected , neglected, used, hurt for all the things "you have done for MD" and now i am taking all your toys away... well i am glad you feel that way. Those of you that had the decency to understand their position as rpc was overpowered and unfair, did not dare to complain about anything. I gave you the best chance to freedom within the game and allowed you to be once again free without all the responsability you has as rpcs.

I always say that RPC is something you receive when you already have it .. SO HOW CAN YOU LOSE IT??? If you feel you lost something then it means you have received things over what you should have! I didnt tainted your reputation, i didnt menalised you in any way ..in fact i kept your reputation intact by blaming myself for a faulty rpc system and i let you keep a lot of your former abilities, yet you complain.

My warm invitation for those that feel i treated them unfair by shuting down the rpc concept is to take their toys and leave, because i will not reply to anymore pms about complains. If you had indeed a powerful rpc postion then people will continue to treat you as such an important character with or without dots in your name.

I don't care about your concerns about how the game will now go down after "the recent changes" i dont care you explain me how bad my move was or how much some of your abilities are needed back "because your role has to suffer" or because it stops you from "doing your job".

Once thing that i will fix, and i said that already so no need for paniked pms , are the abilities that involved a guild role. For example i didnt checked if crafters still can create objects or what grido is missing for his lho chief role. Those were positions not related to rpc status. I will also fix spell count limits if i removed any that you got from wp shop.

post your comments public if you want to debate them, no need to keep it private, the rpc situation was always something that concerned the game and not a personal relation between me Mur and you.

arrgghghhh~~!!

I'll come forward and admit I "complained" about the removal of some abilities, but i dont think it was entirely unjustified. I was doing quests that required abilities, i wasnt trying to complain, but if you dont want me to use the said abilities, then the work i've done loses it's significance. If I want to do a treasure hunt, then the best means is through the use of clickable objects, and I know that Akasha knows that I did have the intent of doing a treasure hunt for this festival, but that's fine I'll halt that. Also I truly apologise for mistaking my teleportation spell for being gone because I couldnt see it after spell reduction, but I run a real time quest that needs to be done in a place with as few interferences as possible because I wanted people who were doing the quest to be able to demonstrate their ability to work together, in accordance to my previous inner spell document, but that's fine anyways because that's a quest that ~I~ lose massive amounts of silver and creatures to despite the cover charge I make people pay up front, and thus I will only run it one more time.

So as it stands I suppose I can still formulate my treasure hunt and submit it to you for approval, or I can cancel it entirely, but with the rather sudden change it kinda hindered my progress that I have already put into it, and for that I'm sorry if you felt I was complaining, it wasn't that I wanted any special privledges, just the ability to continue quests that I was working on for MD, I apologise whole heartedly, and didnt mean any offence, nor did I take any from it, I hope sincerely that you believe me.

~Cryxus X'hal

• Root Admin

clickable items feature will be again available but in th wp shop for those that will reach it. Sorry for the delay but this feature was removed for ALL former rpcs. I dont understand why you and others still think it was a feature removed only from them.

Im sorry I tried to use the tools I thought I had at my disposal while begining the work on this quest, but I knew it was removed from all RPCs, in fact I only wished to use it for the treasure hunt, but I'll stop working on that quest, Im sorry you were offended by my attempt to continue it.

Edited by cryxus

• Root Admin

don\t interpret my words. i was not "offended" by you wanting to continue your quest. In fact it was not you i was refering at in what i said, but since you feel so responsable about it, fine.

I'll say it one more time. rpc abilities have been removed. A lot remained but some major ones are no more for now. If other struggle to find ways to do their quests WITH NO TOOL and they succeed, maybe you as an ex rpc should take lessons from them. Oh wait i forget, you were once the same before you got spoiled by rpc tools. To bad. With every comment i am more glad for stoping the rpc concept in md.