The Asteriks

dst

Ok, here it is: I have stepped on the devil's ground and I created the sort of quest I have ALWAYS hated:
You must write a poem or story about the asterisk (*). RP-ers cannot live without it so why not do something in return for it?
Reward:1 WP
This will not be a fair quest (well, all quests of this type are not fair but at least I have the decency to announce it). Why? Cause I cannot be objective about it. I have no real measure of what a good poem/story is. I might like the one that everyone consider as the crappiest. So, dig up your writing skills and post here your works.
I will wait till the end of the month. Based on the submissions I will extend the period or I will close the contest.

Happy writing!

O Little Star

*looking to the sky in contemplation*
you give us the ability to show our emotion
*slipping and falling into the deep blue ocean*
bring words to life, giving thought and motion

If i make mistake you are here to save me
*mistakes confuse and you help clarify me
You are here for me if i dont want to swear
use and abuse, sh*t are we being fair?

O little star that i see everyday
a poem in thanks, to honour you if i may
we can talk without you, speak aloud and say
but with you here, we're free to laugh and play

Asterdai

Edited by Asterdai

Nice Quest !!!!

**** **** *'** ****** ** ******

Cutler

PS As an added bonus, there is a story behind the text above. The first
person to discover what it is will get a reward of 5 silver. :D

The Asterisk.

I am the Asterisk
Nothing more, nothing less.
I am what,
that is nothing more,
then a common action.

I am the Asterisk
Nothing more, Nothing less.
I am what,
That is nothing more ,
then a common mistake.

I am the Asterisk,
Nothing more, nothing less.
I am what,
that will leave me restless
not giving myself some sleep.

I am the Asterisk
Nothing more, Nothing less,
But a mere action, a mere mistake,
I am the 5 teardrops,
of which makes me unique.

I am the Asterisk,
Please let me rest
*sleeps*

Not much for words but :D I try ^^

I am the Asterisk.
Nothing more nothing less.
People make me do various stuff,
People make me cough, sit and etc.

I am the Asterisk
Nothing more nothing less.
Why do you torment me?
I want ot live a peaceful life,
but nature of me dont let me.

I am the Asterisk,
I am made of 5 teardrops
cause people wont leave me Alone!.

I am the asterisk
Nothing more nothing less,
Please dont disturb me cause i have things to do.
*kills himself*

1st version :)

Edited by Mr Mystery

Once upon a time in a land far away
Sat 4 straight lines, they felt bored, they felt grey
Sad as they were they plotted and planned
What deeds they could do to be more in demand

Now you might think a line is pretty damn cool
That to say otherwise is to act like a fool
But to live like a line is to live without bend
On an ever straight path seemingly without end

Said one line that was sitting in bitter despair;
Why couldn’t I be a letter or something with more flair!
All the other lines seem satisfied
Its only me and you guys who feel slighted, he sighed

The other lines nodded and all went for a walk
As they wandered the lands they looked around and they talked

In this land the letters and symbols and things
Corrections and doodles, errors and failings
That we lazily rub out, ignore or reject
All meet together to talk and reflect

The lines saw some letters and so they complained
About their usefulness and so they were blamed
They saw some sketches and similarly cried out
That their own lot in life was sure dull without doubt

It was not until they met up with a cross
And a multiplication creating a loss
That they saw in those symbols a part of themselves
So they got into pairs and they worked like small elves

They toiled and eventually came to one conclusion
That their lack of effect was just an illusion
Caused by a short sighted lack of respect
For helping each other in cause and effect

In pairs at the middle they joined up together
To create the symbols they had seen, and like birds of a feather
They now could do twice what they could do before
And not just in straight paths but they could rotate for sure

But duplication was just not enough
They felt that their brilliance could be stronger stuff
So they joined once again and at the same time a pen
Drew a thing we call an asterisk, comprised of all of them

Now the straight lines were something entirely new
With a purpose distinct, they were no longer blue
They came out of the land and into our own
And attached to each other were no longer alone

And with a pride that cannot be matched
They perform their tasks never to be detached
As one they create, elate and inform
Once separate and sad, now as one and reborn

~~~~

Z

Edited by (Zl-eye-f)-nea

*you probably already know this one but i think it;s funny*

One day the letter from the keyboard decided to have a party. But since "dot" was always considered bad and things always ended when he showed they decided not let him in. It was around midnight when somebody knocked at the the door. The letters were all inside.
" - go away Dot! we don;t want you ruining our party"
" It's me asterisk. I;m no Dot"
The knocking repeated
" - go away Dot! didn;t you hear us!
" It's me Asterisk. I;m no Dot"
Then another set of knockings.
" - go away Dot!"
The answer came form behind the door.
"But it's me Asterisk. I just had my hair done with some gel"

Once upon a time there was a guy named *. This * was very rude. If * happened to meet another person, such as ;, he would beat up on them. One day, * was beating up on ] when he felt the world twisting and distorting around him. He was pulled through a rip in space/time and ended up in some kind of box. To his left was a yellow word, and to his right were lots of blue words, and far off was another *, which will be named **. * realized he was being used for others' entertainment, and wasn't happy, so he tried to move, but he could only go up, and not even when he wanted to. Eventually * and ** got to the top of the box. They looked at each other with tears in their eyes and suddenly, they both became better people. Then they blinked out of existence. Where they went? No one knows. No wait, he doesn't know either. Or maybe he does. We'd have to ask.

Asterikses are the bullies of the text world, and when we use them in MD, it makes them nicer before they go away. So that's why everyone uses *. They're really just trying to make the world a better place, even if it isn't their world.

"sit down little one, i have a story to tell you, a story about someone special, just like you."

Once upon a time there was a little star which lived high in the sky, the grand sea of letters. A mixed up soup of the universal alphabet.
People would look up and see the star and they saw that it was special, they sang songs to her, they wrote poems about her, they idolised her, but she really couldnt understand why. She looked about the sky and down to the earth and saw others and wondered why they thought she was so special, she was just being herself. Just being.

Mother language, father writing, what is my purpose in life? why do i exist?

Her mother would speak to her in tongues and she didnt really understand what she said, and her father who lived far away would send her letters about his life, but she felt that he didnt really know Her. All her brothers and sisters were doing there own thing and she felt alone.

(not finished :S have to leave this for a moment...)

There can only be one, but what will be left?
Shards of myself, or the ego of my own?

Future holds the answer to this,
but remember, a whole is created by the sum of all,
and the sum of all is greater than the parts themselves.

So go ahead, roll on, and show us the light.
Shallow it may be, but it is ours.

Edit: This should be viewed in the edit window here version to fully explore the potential of this. Just a small sidenote.

Edited by Shadowseeker

[font="monospace, Courier"][size="1"][color="#000000"][size="3"]my entry[/size]

................................................................................
................................................*.....*.........................
..............................................*...+....**.......................
..............................................****......*.......................
..............................................****......*.......................
..............................................****..............................
..............................................****..............................
.............................................*****..............................
....................................*************...............................
................................*..**..**.********..............................
...............................*.*......*....**.................................
.............................*...**.....*....**.................................
...............................***.*.....*...*..................................
............................***....*...........*................................
.............................******.......**....*...............................
...........................*********....*****..*................................
...........................********.....*...*.*****.............................
..........................********.**......**.*******...........................
..........................***********...*..*********............................
.........................*************.**.*******.****..........................
.........................***********.....**************.........................
........................*************.....******......*.........................
.......................*************..*..******..****..*........................
.......................*************..**.*******.....***........................
.......................*..***.*****......*******................................
......................*...*..*****.......*.*..*.................................
....................**...*..*...*.......*...***.*.....*.........................
....................*.*..*..*.**......****.*.*.**.....*.........................
...................*..*.*..*.*......****.*.*.*.**.....*.........................
.....................**.*.*.*****..*..*.**...*.**.....*.........................
....................**....****..*....*...*******......*.........................
...................***...****.**.....**..*******......*.........................
...................*...**...*****..**************.....*.........................
....................**************.**************.....*.........................
....................*****************************.....*.........................
.....................*********..*****************....**.........................
.....................***********.****************....**.........................
.....................*.****..***.....***.*********...**.........................
....................*....**......***...........*......**........................
....................*...***... ...............*..*.....*........................
...................*....***..*..........*........*.....*........................
...................*...***...*..........*....*...*.....*........................
......................**....*...........*........*.....*........................
..................*..**.....*.........................**........................
...................****..........*.....*..............**........................
.................********.........................*...*.........................
.................***********...........*..........*...*.........................
.................***.************............*....*...*.........................
.................**....***************.......*....*...*.........................
................**.....***.********************...*...*.........................
................**....*******.*****************...*...*.........................
................*.....*********************..***..*..**.........................
................*.....*****************.......*...*..**.........................
................*.....*****************.....*....*..**..........................
...............*.*...*****************..........*.....*.........................
.................*...************...**.......*.*.*.**.*.........................
.............**..*...***********....**.......****..****.........................
...........*****.*...***********.*...*........**.******.........................
...........*******....****.****..*...**.......*.******..........................
...........*****.*...*****.****...*..**........***...**.........................
............****.*....****.****..**..**.......***....**.........................
.............*****....****.****...*..***.....***......**........................
...............*****..****..***...**..**...****.*.....**........................
................**********..***...**..**.*****..*.....**........................
..................********..***...**..******....*.....***.......................
..................*..**********************......*.....**.......................
......................*****.*********.*****......*.....**.......................
......................****..****..***..*****...........**.......................
...................*..****..****..***..*****......*....**.......................
...................*..****..****..****.******.....*....**.......................
...................*..*****..****...***.******....*.....**......................
.......................****..*****.***.******.....*.....**......................
....................*..****..*********..******....**....**......................
....................*..****..**********.******.....*...***......................
....................*..****..**********.*******....*....**......................
....................*.*****...*********.****.**...**....**......................
....................*..****...**********.*****.*...**...**......................
....................*...****..**********..****.*.****...**......................
.......................*****..****.*****..**..******.*..**......................
....................*..*****...***..****..********...*..**......................
.......................*****...***..******.*******....*.**......................
.......................*****...***..*****.****.**.....*.*.......................
........................****...***..***********.*......**.......................
.....................*..****..*****..*********.***.....**.......................
.....................*.*****...****..***********.*....***.......................
.....................*.******..****..****.*********...***.......................
........................*****..****..*************...**.*.......................
......................*.*****...***..**************.**..........................
......................******....****.****************...........................
......................******....***..************.***....*......................
.......................*****....***...****************...*......................
.......................*****....****..************..**..........................
.......................*****.*..***...***********...***...*.....................
........................****.*..***...***********....**.........................
........................****.*..***.*.***********.....*....*....................
........................***..**..**.*..*****..**......**...*....................
........................***..**..**.**.*****..*........*....*...................
........................********************..*.......**....*...................
........................*....*................*.......***.......................
.......................*.....*................*.......***....*..................
.......................*.....*................*........***....*.................
.......................*....**.................*........***...**................
.......................****.**..................*.......********................
.......................**..***...................*......*********...............
.......................**.***.....................*.....*********...............
.......................******......................*....*********...............
.......................*****.........................***********................
................................................................................

[size="3"]
ok this is my entry because iam al into roleplay and i use this * a lot
i was thinking why not make myself whit the magical *
the dots are there for counting and the shoes are not quit what i hoped for coss a pencil is stil my favorite thing to use
but i stil hope you like it :P (it seems a bit long when i post it o well stil hope you like it)

[/size]
[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by ladytwin

It was a very dark and gloomy night,
When dst was walking out of sight,
She arrived infront of a Castle door,
Along with a stinky and filthy Boar.

She continuously knocked and peeked,
Wondering if there's a person she might seek,
Hours have passed and no one's still answering,
Evil dst begins cursing and swearing.

She tilts her head to the farthest East,
Her pet sensed a seemingly huge beast,
"It was Ajax!" she mumbles looking on the pond,
The huge beast she named Ajax did not respond,

Stinky and filthy Boar shrieks with a Warning,
Seeing Ajax haven't responded and is laughing,
Evil dst's eyes were filled with tears as small as dots,
Her pet runs off and she was dragged behind its butt.

[color="#48D1CC"][i]*MD lags*[/i][/color]

[color="#FFA500"][b]dst[/b][/color]:...
[color="#FFA500"][b]dst[/b][/color]:...
[color="#FFA500"][b]dst[/b][/color]: Holy crap! MD Crashed again?!
[color="#FFA500"][b]dst[/b][/color]: Stupid Ajax... [color="#48D1CC"][i]*howls*[/i][/color]
[i][color="#48D1CC"]dst stands up and bakes some cookies, still waiting for her windows to restart.[/color][/i]

Edited by Lazarus

The Star, who became a symbol.

I was originally meant to be a star,
but now im nothing but a symbol.
A symbol of a star
Yes thats what i am.

Over the years, i lost 2 arms,
so now i come back with 5.
from a 7 pointed star,
to 5 pointed figure.

As technology advanced,
my status as a figure changed,
In some places, i am nothing but
a squats bug.

But this does not stop me,
from being what i am,
for i am still a star
i heart.
If you wish
It will come.
If you wish
I will come.

I show what,
other symbols dont.
I show what you
wish me to do.

For i am none other,
then a simple star,
changed into an asterisk.

since i was bored at work and can't actually access the game since my work proxy blocks it and i forgot my 3g card at home, i decide to enter this contest with an [i]animated [/i]story of sorts - hope you like it, it's got Cthulhu and morphing - you can never go wrong with that! ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUlymoe8cE&loop=1[/media]

hmmm - actually i didn't forget my 3g card at home - luckily i found it or i couldn't have uploaded to youtube and the original animated gif i made was like 48mb :D

PS - the moral of the story is that RP-ers are Cthulhu-worshipers :P

Edited by Totenkopf

okay let me try something:

from a very sad story about a man and his first love:

*point* *point* *point*
*click* *click*
*point*
*enter* *delete*
*rebot* *point* *point*
*click* *click*
error!!! error!!! error!!!
*whosh* *bam* *whooooooz!*

dude1: NOOO!!! WHY!!!
dude2: dude(1), why did you wrecked your computer?
dude1: the dam trojan infected it, i had no other choice....
dude2: so why havent you just downloaded a antivir software??
dude1: ....

THE END

Tomorrow is the last day of the contest. It's your last chance to enter this marvelous contest :D. After tomorrow...god help me cause I have to read what you all have put here and decide a winner :P:P:wacko:

My entry :P

Dear Asteriks,
I am no longer ashamed to say, I really miss you!
I has been a while now since I banned you from my life, and everything became so boring.
Even worse, nobody understands my meanings anymore. :P In every chat I went, pleople call me crazy because I throw in words without any connection and expression. They ask me what this LOL shall be, or why i post sigh-verbs from time to time.
I can´t refuse any longer, I need you back!
Please, come back to me, to my life, I need you.

Yours sentence

Tada :wacko:

Asterdai sprinted up the stairs to the Hall of the Sun Balcony.

“Innocence!” he gasped, his sides heaving. “dst has been taken prisoner by the Blue Meanies and is being held in the Land of Joyless Text!”

“So?” Innocence replied, arching his faun’s brows. “And hello to you, too, Asterick.”

“We’ve got to help her!”

“I’m sure she likes it there. Sounds like a job for a mercenary, anyway.”

“Where… who… what do we do?”

Innocence sighed with exaggerated patience. “I haven’t done a place in, oh, I don’t know, feels like a long time. As for whom I do, that’s none of your business.”

Asterdai spluttered, starting to protest, but Innocence held up a hand.

“What do you do? Send out a notice. Offer a wish point or a useless creature or something silly. Have you thought about asking asterisk?”

Asterdai blinked. “Ask myself?”

“No!” Innocence cried. “asterisk, not Asterick!”

A very short, moustachioed blond guy wearing a winged helmet bounded up the stairs. “Je suis arrivé!” He shouted, sweeping off his helmet and bowing elaborately. “Astérix le Gaulois, à votre service!”

“No, no, no!” Innocence snapped. “Not Astérix… [i]asterisk![/i] Please.”

The little man’s shoulders slumped and he shuffled back down the stairs.

Asterdai blinked. “Well, if that’s not asterisk, where do we go to find him?”

“Him?” Innocence demanded. “How do you know it’s a he? Isn’t that just a little sexist to assume asterisk is a he? Or that Dusty wants to be rescued by a male?”

“O-Oh,” Asterdai stammered. “Sorry, I…”

Innocence laughed. “I’m just kidding. asterisk is totally a he.”

Asterdai flushed with embarrassment. “I… I see…”

“We go to the editing room,” Innocence told him. “All the punctuation marks hang out there.”

Asterdai started to speak, but Innocence brushed past him and swept down the stairs into the Archives lobby.

Passing into the empty room in the east wing of the MDA, Asterdai frowned in confusion.

“This is the editing room?”

Innocence ignored him and clapped once loudly. “Dot, Sticks, Queerie, Curve… C’mon out!”

“…What is it?” moaned a sleepy-looking question mark, who blinked uncertainly at Asterdai. “Who’s this?”

“Queerie,” Innocence said, “meet Asterick.”

The question mark blinked and narrowed suspicious eyes at Asterdai. “What does he want?”

Asterdai explained: “The Blue Meanies have taken dst prisoner and are holding her in the Land of Joyless Text!”

“So?” the question mark asked.

“That’s what I said,” Innocence muttered.

“It is no harm! Pay no attention to it!” roared an exclamation point, bouncing around vehemently.

“So… I came to ask asterisk for help,” Asterdai said, looking somewhat taken aback.

“dst hates asterisks!” the exclamation point exclaimed. “Pay no attention to it!”

A period looked askance at the exclamation point and advised: “Stop. Wait. Listen.”

“Oh, Dot,” Innocence said, shaking his faun’s head. “You’re almost as bad as Sticks.”

“On the other hand,” a comma yawned, “it is conceivable, though barely, that dst does want to be rescued, even if the solution is temporary, and would welcome your help, she would greet you with gratitude, but she might seem a little surly, she is very temperamental, while intellectually acute, and is not given to displays of affection, you may have to approach her with care,” and sighed.

“Why can’t I help?” the question mark whined.

“You ask too many questions,” Innocence said. “asterisk is the best punctuation mark for the job.”

The period said, “Wrong. I am. Period.”

“We know you’re a period, Dot,” Innocence snapped. “We came to see asterisk.”

“Well,” the comma continued, “I suppose the period is the most experienced of us, and could do a good job, he’s a bit blunt, or maybe I could, I am awfully versatile, and popular, cute, and technically useful,” looking at Asterdai hopefully.

“Curve, you slow things down,” Innocence told the comma, “and you do tend to run on.”

The asterisk somersaulted into the room and bowed to Asterdai with a flourish. “You need a hero; I am he. These other punctuation marks are insecure because of their youth and a certain desire to prove themselves.”

“Pay no attention to it!” the exclamation point roared.

“Exactly,” the asterisk agreed.

The period frowned at asterisk and said, “No. Not youth. You’re younger.”

“Nice try, Dot,” the asterisk rejoined smugly. “I am as old as writing itself, and at least two thousand years older than you. In the days of ancient Sumer, I was a glyph called a [i]dingir[/i].”

“Yeah!” Innocence said. “He was a thinger! Or a thingie." Innocence begain bouncing around with the exclamation point. "Hey, Sticks, a thingie!”

“And as for versatility, I am by far the most talented,” asterisk continued, smiling superciliously at the comma. “I am a query wildcard; I can be used in multiplication; I can indicate corrections, footnotes, and relative insignificance.”

“Do I really need a wildcard?” the question mark wondered.

“Shut up, Queerie,” Innocence suggested.

“It is no harm! Pay no attention to it!” the exclamation point roared again.

“Don’t you have anything else to say?” the question mark asked, shaking her head at the exclamation point.

Warming to the subject of himself, asterisk talked at a louder volume. “In the land of MagicDuel, I am even more powerful,” he noted. “I can turn text blue, denoting actions, wishes, and emotions. Clearly,” he told Asterdai, “I am the one for the job.”

“Well, I suppose so,” Asterdai said, looking at Innocence, who nodded with approval. “Come along, then.”

“The Land of Joyless Text is more a state of mind than a physical location,” Innocence observed as the three headed south from the MagicDuel Archive lands. “I think we’ll probably find Dusty at the Gazebo of Equilibrium.”

Sure enough, they encountered dst and Mur, who was clad in Roman platemail and clutching a long pole topped by an eagle and a placard bearing the letters SPQR. dst stared at Asterdai, Innocence, and asterisk as they approached, and Mur hastily concealed a copy of [i]Rome: Total War[/i] under his blue cape.

“Yes?” dst asked.

“We’re here to save you from the Blue Meanies!” Asterdai exclaimed. “We brought asterisk!”

But dst recoiled in horror. “asterisk?” she moaned. “He’s their best weapon!” She pointed at a group of people pretending to fight using text.

“Of course!” Asterdai said, slapping himself in the face. “The Blue Meanies…”

asterisk bellowed malevolently. “I have you now!” he crowed, leering at dst.

Innocence rolled his faun’s eyes and wandered away. Asterdai looked around for help. The little blond guy leapt onto the scene, swatting asterisk with the flat of his blade and turning on Mur, who swore and drew his Iberian gladius. Asterdai scurried away as dst set a drac-heavy ritual, and a huge fat guy with a red moustache and pigtails ran up shouting “Sono Pazzi Questi Romani!”* He and the little blond man ran away while dst’s ritual eviscerated asterisk, and dst sighed, relaxing in asterisk-free serenity.

*Italian for “They’re crazy, these Roman(ian)s!”