Md Is Boring

Fenrir Greycloth

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MD really does seem extra dead recently and I might be a little bit to blame for that. With the addition of (arguably) interesting things for people to do in MD such as play the MD Creature Card Game or go fishing in the astral plane, that does mean that people are spending less time interacting with others.

With that said, I was impressed (shocked) by the amount of time some people were spending fishing. Combining the time spent fishing for the current top five ranking players, they have spent in total 148,795 seconds fishing. That is more than 41 straight hours of time spent fishing a total of 1,725 times. :)

Well, that is impressive.

So I hope that people are enjoying themselves. I am also thinking about an update for the MDCCG which would allow PvP battles (but that is at least a month or two away). At least that would allow people to interact one on one with others and not be completely solitary.

Cheers,

Cutler

PS If people have ideas for more social-type games/additions to MD/the astral plane, feel free to message me your ideas. I am always up for working with people who are enthusiastic and have good ideas.

hmmm but what about decentralizing that astral plane a bit, don't make it as world within world, how about cooperating with Mur (I guess if he likes that kind of things) to put games under certain clickables (not that you can access each and every one from GoE for example... and also all locations open are a bit spoilerish, I myself visited location or two that I never visited before).

example, creature card game (didn't try it out but I plan to! :) ) can be used... hmmm in tribunal's pub, let's say, as a device for bets? that sort of stuff would surely bring the community back into other locations such as those pubs created specifically for making people enjoy and gather for RP activities or just talking and exchanging infos

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' date='07 March 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1267977387' post='55925']
hmmm but what about decentralizing that astral plane a bit, don't make it as world within world, how about cooperating with Mur (I guess if he likes that kind of things) to put games under certain clickables (not that you can access each and every one from GoE for example... and also all locations open are a bit spoilerish, I myself visited location or two that I never visited before).

example, creature card game (didn't try it out but I plan to! :) ) can be used... hmmm in tribunal's pub, let's say, as a device for bets? that sort of stuff would surely bring the community back into other locations such as those pubs created specifically for making people enjoy and gather for RP activities or just talking and exchanging infos
[/quote]

Yes, you get half of my point, but the thing is the astral plane is just a big clicky system. Whether it is set in a clicky in the tribunal or the GoE, while people are playing my logic games, chatting in a private chat box, fishing, playing the CCD, or just exploring the astral plane they aren't out and walking around MD talking to others.

In a sense by giving interesting alternatives to just standing around and chatting (RP) people are amusing themselves with those things and not out talking to others. With the completely unworkable fighting system as it stands right now, there just aren't that many interesting things to do in MD. I tried to change that by making a bunch of interesting things for people to do while in MD and that has been enjoyable for me and from the feedback I have gotten many others. The point is though while people are doing things in the Astral Plane (ie any of my creations) they aren't sitting at the GoE talking to others like before skill damage was implemented and the tokens further ruined fighting.

I actually have several new things I have developed but not released (in addition to a few new quests made in conjunction with others) since there are so few people around best they spend time on the last few things I released (if they are interested).

I don't see a solution to this, MD has gotten boring in a lot of respects, and the things that are less boring about it tend to drive people away from each other. In looking back at what I have created in MD, I can see that many of my puzzles and games are contributing to the situation, but on the other hand, if there was nothing interesting around to do how long will people sit in the GGG before just getting bored of MD completely and giving up?

Also playing devils advocate to my own position above, there have been some very interesting in game conversations about the astral plane and my games which I have watched and participated in so this doesn't have to be all black and white.

I guess when MD got to the point of being so boring I wasn't going to stay around anymore, I just decided to make interesting things for me and others to do within MD and not worry about "In game problems". It would be great if this trend in MD could turn around, I am a very big fan of MD which is why I spend so much time developing stuff for it. But as to your comment

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' date='07 March 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1267977387' post='55925']
how about cooperating with Mur
[/quote]

I have tried to talk with him and asked him to look at what I have done, but Mur has never even entered the astral plane. There isn't much I can do to cooperate with that.

Cheers,

Cutler

I believe original games being able to play against other players and even make bets, would result in flocking people around some points for other reasons then combat.

I think you did a splendid job cutler (in fact you could even create a game of your own that way lol), but I also think if astral plane becomes used in certain ways it could much help in making MD more dynamic and daily-interesting (not specifically astral plane as astral plane but the work you made there)

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

• Root Admin

i cant argue with you on that cutler. offering an alternate activity kind of ruined other activities, yet you did a very cool thing there. (yes i checked it).

I will not get involved with these thigns, i always say that, no one hears it. Not the astral plane, not the card game, nothing. sorry, but i have enough to worry about.

RP is not your main goal like some suggested, nor is stats grinding. Each will think differently as each likes one or the other aspect more. I've been 'accused' of favorizing the RP part, and i've been accused i was only doing things for the fighting part...trust me, whatever i will do there will always be voices to complain.

[b]The facts remain, md is boring because you people say its boring. Think for a second. How many days do you have ..cutler, princ, burns..all of you complaining. LOTS and LOTS. Since you started MD evolved a lot and it has a lot more stuff in it to fill your time with. Now tell me, why should it be boring for a new player? And you veterans would have so much more fun if you would just allow newcommers to get to this point of getting bored on their own, in one or two years of playing.[/b]

But unfortunately i haven't seen an newcomers reach high age for quite some time, which is kind of the point, don't you think?

What i have seen is a lot of people leaving first day, that's always been the same, but what i only recently (3-4 months) saw was mp3 leaving after two weeks, when they usually started to get a hang of how to work with crits, whom to chat with, and where to look for quests. Maybe i haven't seen it before, maybe i was just too blinded by the few i closely watched growing, but to me it really looks as though people left in mp3 _because_ they found the GGG, and the mp3 hanging out there, AND how little mp3 they can find anywhere else. It's not just that, it's also the current lack of player-quests most probably, but i'm a fighter, i always see the combat-related reasons as stronger than any others.

I'm not arguing about the fact that i have my flaws, too, that i am cruel to newbies at times, and that i am part of the elders so many new mp5 despise so much, but i could count the fresh mp5 of last week who could despise me on one hand, and haven't seen many new faces on mp4 either, and since i do see a good pack of newbies in the cabin everyday, be it alt or otherwise, i find it very sad that nearly none make it to veterans.

They said that those without sin should throw the first stones, but waiting doesn't seem to solve things this time.

[quote]The facts remain, md is boring because you people say its boring. Think for a second. How many days do you have ..cutler, princ, burns..all of you complaining. LOTS and LOTS. Since you started MD evolved a lot and it has a lot more stuff in it to fill your time with. Now tell me, why should it be boring for a new player? And you veterans would have so much more fun if you would just allow newcommers to get to this point of getting bored on their own, in one or two years of playing.[/quote]

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Well put Mur.  Veterans get bored because THEY ARE VETERANS... To a newbie, MD is full of possibilities, and with all the recent additions of the astral plane, quests and puzzles, it leaves the element of boredom only to the user itself.  [/i][/color]

[quote name='Burns' date='07 March 2010 - 08:29 AM' timestamp='1267972172' post='55917']
The people of GGG don't bother to look elsewhere, and a lot of us don't _EVER_ go there to promote something, be it party, happening or quest, if they prefer to stay out of my ways, fine with me, but don't expect me to leave my tracks to make sure you know what i'm up to right now. So... if i was partying every night, it'd go without you noticing.
[/quote]

1. GGG was originally at the Cellar Door (when I was invited in by Awiiya). It was (for me) only a method of getting wins to help spread out xp easier. I've said this already, but below mp5, this is the main use of the GGG.

2. You have barely touched on the Dojo of Lost XP.

3. Why not advertise in GGG? That's where half of all the people are; you'd get a nice big audience.

[quote]But unfortunately i haven't seen an newcomers reach high age for quite some time, which is kind of the point, don't you think?[/quote]
[i][font="Book Antiqua"][color="#696969"]

that's a strange thing to say...
You don't reach high age in a short time you know.
I myself have 322 active days since I joined almost a year ago
and I intend to stay around for much longer.
Furthermore I've met some people that joined later than me (maybe >200 active days) and still are asking me about things they just discovered.
Also with intention to stick around.
[/color][/font][/i]

I for one, am not bored.

People make general sweeping statements: Everyone in MD is bored. But I can say for a fact that I am not bored, and I think MD for me is fine as it is. I was bored at one point, but I reevaluated what I found enjoyment from, which was telling stories and caring for something concrete, and so I pursued it. I've never been happier.

And I think that GGG is a little too easy to be fun, but I still use it. I think the only thing about GGG that needs to be fixed is the fact that we can get wins without doing anything. I would prefer if 0 vs 0 fights did not give wins to creatures.

Awi

Edited by awiiya

[quote name='apophys' date='07 March 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1267990304' post='55941']
2. You have barely touched on the Dojo of Lost XP.
[/quote]

What about it, if I may ask? Or do you pick on it just cause I had the bad inspiration to call it Dojo and make it public? If that's the reason, no problem. I can change that a lot.

[quote name='awiiya' date='07 March 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1267991418' post='55944']
And I think that GGG is a little too easy to be fun, but I still use it. I think the only thing about GGG that needs to be fixed is the fact that we can get wins without doing anything. I would prefer if 0 vs 0 fights did not give wins to creatures.

Awi
[/quote]

I agree with that completely, it would solve the GGG problem. Not being able to get wins without xp would also cause a lot of people to have to move up MP levels faster, and there would be less insanely powerful MP3 and MP4.

I still don't understand what's so wrong about having "insanely powerful" MP3's and MP4's. There's always going to be a top person in anything. Leave them alone? Anyways, I am not bored either. I always find something to do or someone to talk to. If your bored, set a goal or two for yourself. Once you achieve them, make the achievement greater and push yourself farther.

[quote name='dst' date='08 March 2010 - 04:25 AM' timestamp='1267997111' post='55961']
What about it, if I may ask? Or do you pick on it just cause I had the bad inspiration to call it Dojo and make it public? If that's the reason, no problem. I can change that a lot.
[/quote]
Noo... Leave it as is dst! xD

• Root Admin

[quote name='Yoshi' date='08 March 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1268006598' post='55975']
I still don't understand what's so wrong about having "insanely powerful" MP3's and MP4's. There's always going to be a top person in anything. Leave them alone? Anyways, I am not bored either. I always find something to do or someone to talk to. If your bored, set a goal or two for yourself. Once you achieve them, make the achievement greater and push yourself farther.
[/quote]

insanely strong MP3 and 4's are partly what drives people away, Previously you could normally kill someone by thinking up a good stragety, but now these Alt mp3 and 4 are unbeatable by a new player, Its rather discouraging being beaten at every turn. Previously i remember Mur forced some people up to mp5 as they were so powerful, and i think some people need this push.

I wasn't complaining Mur, dunno where did you read that. Suggestion that some games from the Astral plane that Cutler made could be placed (and maybe re-design to fit the needs better) to gather people is not a complaint.

I would at the moment just settle with /MORE PEOPLE/ in MD, it isn't that much about new features to me (altough it's fun to see some).
about the insanely strong people who train all the day... a player suggested in his papers (forgot his name >.< can look up if somebody wants to know) that the "idling" option gets erased, or even better if idling option prevents you from being attacked (therefore you can get messaged if you are waiting for a message) which would prevent alt-idlers-farming or just idle people getting farmed on in training places and would result that people need to find "awake" players to fight... that would be great if there were enough people for something like that, but where can you find someone to fight with right now, in random locations?

you have this cool annual competitions, Head Contest and Torch. But most of the veterans already won the HC, so it falls to the Torch, that many people don't like now days cause of all that issues recently. If torch gets re-edited a bit to make it more 'fair' and fun for masses to participate it could make MD more dynamic, and in the rest of the time, people would fill their time with their own events, competitions, quests, or just debating and talking... also, I guess the major problem is lack of enthusiasm and goals. [b]What goals can someone as MD character have at the moment, and how can he/she achieve it? (something big) what changes can player make (the essence of supposed-to-be-fun in MD) now? major changes?[/b]

[quote name='Chewett' date='08 March 2010 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1268029481' post='55987']
insanely strong MP3 and 4's are partly what drives people away, Previously you could normally kill someone by thinking up a good stragety, but now these Alt mp3 and 4 are unbeatable by a new player, Its rather discouraging being beaten at every turn. Previously i remember Mur forced some people up to mp5 as they were so powerful, and i think some people need this push.
[/quote]

I don't see that happening at MP3 though. All the top MP3's that I know don't go around beating everyone they can, they are actually very helpful to everyone giving wins or losses or anything as the other person needs.

As to be more on topic, I'm curious at to what Fenrir also thinks is boring in MD, and also if what he was planning, has already been taken into effect.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' date='08 March 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1268047973' post='56006']
I would at the moment just settle with /MORE PEOPLE/ in MD, it isn't that much about new features to me (altough it's fun to see some).
about the insanely strong people who train all the day... a player suggested in his papers (forgot his name >.< can look up if somebody wants to know) that the "idling" option gets erased, or even better if idling option prevents you from being attacked (therefore you can get messaged if you are waiting for a message) which would prevent alt-idlers-farming or just idle people getting farmed on in training places and would result that people need to find "awake" players to fight... that would be great if there were enough people for something like that, but where can you find someone to fight with right now, in random locations?
[/quote]

Idle people mean more people, the whole point of idle people is that they dont use the resources to refresh the game and they are still there for people to attack, You might as well remove idle then put your changes into effect

[quote name='Yoshi' date='08 March 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1268064664' post='56014']
I don't see that happening at MP3 though. All the top MP3's that I know don't go around beating everyone they can, they are actually very helpful to everyone giving wins or losses or anything as the other person needs.

As to be more on topic, I'm curious at to what Fenrir also thinks is boring in MD, and also if what he was planning, has already been taken into effect.
[/quote]

Whatever, Them being the "strongest" means that anyone that attacks them are slaughted, Rather disconcerting since you can fight people with dracorns fully leveled in mp3

And on Fenrirs Front, Im still waiting for his "festival" he promised me that he and Mur would be running all back in September, He continues to say it will be run... but i think he lied about Mur helping.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]This topic is getting rather (yeah I'll say it) boring. Ever looked at the kind of topics that come up in the forum? Complaints and whining. Those are the ones that end up multiple pages. It's no different than the news running with the "If it bleeds it leads" mentality. "Let's go to the forum and whine or complain," has become a routine. Personally, I find that boring. Not a dojo. Not GGG. Not DLXP. Whiny, complaining topics. Those are what's boring. [/font][/color]

[quote name='Mya Celestia' date='09 March 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1268164395' post='56091']
[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]This topic is getting rather (yeah I'll say it) boring. Ever looked at the kind of topics that come up in the forum? Complaints and whining. Those are the ones that end up multiple pages. It's no different than the news running with the "If it bleeds it leads" mentality. "Let's go to the forum and whine or complain," has become a routine. Personally, I find that boring. Not a dojo. Not GGG. Not DLXP. Whiny, complaining topics. Those are what's boring. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

And someone makes a post saying what you just said in every topic, which is also boring. Obviously they aren't working.

[quote name='Mya Celestia' ]
This topic is getting rather (yeah I'll say it) boring. Ever looked at the kind of topics that come up in the forum? Complaints and whining. Those are the ones that end up multiple pages. It's no different than the news running with the "If it bleeds it leads" mentality. "Let's go to the forum and whine or complain," has become a routine. Personally, I find that boring. Not a dojo. Not GGG. Not DLXP. Whiny, complaining topics. Those are what's boring.
[/quote]

[quote name='Jester']
And someone makes a post saying what you just said in every topic, which is also boring. Obviously they aren't working.
[/quote]

[i][font="Book Antiqua"][color="#696969"]
still, it doesn't make it any less true...[/color][/font][/i]

Perhaps you should ask yourself [b]Why[/b] MD seems boring?
Lack of people around seems one. Lack of any concentration of people too. GGG seems to be the only area where you can expect a concentration of people, but it is remote.
There was a more central location once upon a time, but that was torn down, much the same way that it seems that people now want to tear down GGG.
To Fenrir I'd say this. You claim to have ideas that are for the benefit of MD, yet almost all your views get severe negative comments and score all the time. Are you so sure that your ideas are actually helping? I think its great that you obviously know what we all need. I feel much better knowing that we have people like you to guide us in the directions we need to go in, cos we are obviously so idiotic that we can't possibly think for ourselves and the fact that most people can't seem to agree with you just proves that. And perhaps ye should put more emphasis on MD itself rather than seemingly endless hours devoted to forum rants.

wow lot of words in this topic lol... Anyone realize GGG is basically the same thing as Willows Shop used to be? the only difference is you get yelled at when you dont have certain rits set... oh wait i always got yelled at for attacking someone in willows because "they weren't ready" so yea, it's the same as willows. Everyone goes there. Now we all know how Mur felt about everyone going to Willows Shop all the time. GGG isn't any different and only a matter of time before something happens.

As for Changing up the locations of it, Mur could easily set up a random location generator to add to announcements daily, or make a clickable saying the current location of the GGG. That would be slghtly more interesting cause then people would actually have to read to know where to go and would get rid of some idlers prolly. Matter of fact the Big Gun of GGG could set something up in a main clickable, like one in GoE or something changing the location daily.

Personally i could care less about it but i do agree that if people aren't actually being challengd to do great things in game because of things like GGG being to easily accessible. I still believe that it's a bug in the game being able to stack stats in such a way and will look at it that way. It's a public bug thats being abused more or less, but it's allowed so its good.

i see alot of complaints. I see alot of reprisals to the complaints. What I don't see alot of is people saying why they still play MD if it's so "boring"

I love MD. I have been a major MMORPG player for longer then some of you have been alive. I still log on every day, and i still find enjoyment in the game every day. You know wich is I care least about in the game is fighting. To me the interaction between people is the most important thing that keeps me coming back each day, followed by peoples constant continuation of their story lines. Festivals are 3rd with GOOD quests as a close 4th. Then creature collection, trading, and somewhere down twards the bottom of the list fighting.

If I ever found MD as boring as some of you seem to feel, I'd quit the game. Since after all the game is about FUN.

I love MD and I don’t see it as boring.

If some players find it boring, GGG cannot be blamed for it. I agree that GGG is not helping but it is not the main contributor. I too go to GGG to train up, but I mixed it up with moving about and farming or attacking anyone I see. And doing some RP on the side.

It is always easy to blame or to point at a problem.

What we need now is finding a solution.

I agree that GGG is not helping the situation but if it gets torn down, what will stop them from making their own training grounds? Are there gonna be vigilante groups hunting down training grounds? Will everyone start populating other parts of the MD?

GGG is closed during HC, is MD more exciting during that period? Are newbies running around practicing their rituals?

If there is a solution to be had, lets look at MD Festival.

During the festival, GOE is full of players chatting and interacting.

During the festival, lots of players moving about.

That is a solution if anyone feels there isn’t enough interacting or socialising.

Every player can play their part.

Start quests. Concern about the newbies? Speak to the LHO’s and plan a quest just for the newbies.

There will always be challenges and difficulties, but complaining about GGG is not going to help.

Lets not waste our grey matter by debating here but instead figure out how we ourselves can make it better.

I know this is cheesy but “Ask not what MD can do for you, but what you can do for MD”!