Setting Rituals 101

Actraiser

OK there are several new people out there trying to figure out what to do and how to go about it where there creatures are concerned.

Many of these things have been outlined by Muratus (AKA King Manu). But for the little details that weren't readily covered, i'll try to give it a go.

1. Get at least 6 creatures.

You want to mix it up a bit. Don't stay with the old Aramors and Barren Souls. There are all kinds of goodies out there for you to play with.
Aramor - attacker
Barren Soul - healer
Grasan - multi attacker
Water Being - healer/support
Archer - attacker
Fire Elemental - support
Scout - attacker
Savage Knator - attacker

2.Attack rituals vs defense rituals

Here is where it gets kind of touchy. You want to put at least 4 attacking creatures in your ritual. Back them up with a support and a healer creature.

In the beginning you should already have attackers and healers - if not, then how did you get past the shades?

A good starting ritual if you just got out of story mode could look like this:
2 Aramors, 1 Grasan, 1 Archer (or scout), 1 Barren Soul, & 1 Water Being (or elemental).

But mix it up a bit. Don't just use what I have posted here. There are many different variations, and what really counts is the settings you put your creatures at. What works for one person, may not work as well for you. Play with the different settings and creature types until you find something you are comfortable with.

You can use the same creatures to attack and defend - I don't recommend this when you are first starting out. you will be better off getting a total of 12 creatures. use 6 to create an attacking ritual, and 6 to create a defense ritual.

For defense you are defaulted at using 50% vitality. I say use more. Set it from 75% to 100%. But please don't get cocky. After you have fought (whether you won or lost) go somewhere and lick your wounds or you are an easy target for anyone around you.

Also - the starting creatures will not advance as far as some of the creatures you can get at Marind Bell, or LoreRoot. You want to get these creatures as soon as you can when you hit free roam.

3.Healing

There are a few ways to heal up in Magic Duel. If you are just starting out and want to heal up your creatures after a fight, go to the creature page.

Click the orange bar under the hurt creature - this will give some of your vitality to this creature. This is a long process.

Another way you can heal is by setting a "healing" ritual, and getting someone to help you heal.

To do this, put all your healers in the ritual and the attacking creatures that can be set to not hurt the person helping you. There are some creatures you can set from attack to weaken defense (usually only available at lvl 2 or higher for the creature). Do this. then get someone to attack you with a single barren soul. This will help to heal your creatures faster. but be warned - for this method you will get either a win or a loss - and possible honor loss as well. be sure that this is the step you want to take before you decide to use it.

Alliance members can heal another way - but if you are in an alliance you more than likely know everything I have so far written.

4.Attack Strategy

Too many people are reluctant to attack people at full vitality. But i tell you that you want to attack people with full vit. If you go around only attacking people who are hurt, or much weaker than you, you gain nothing but that win. When you fight there is a chance to get a stat increase as well as vp and exp. You will gain little exp or anything else for attacking weakened players.

You want to go for the gold. No guts no glory and all that.

I see players with MP4 and less than 100k exp. these people have either won against a lot of people throwing just a single creature at them, or they have hit weak(ened) players. Bad form. To do it right, go nuts with it. the worst that can happen is that you lose the fight.

If you don't balance your wins and losses just right, there will eventually come a time when you have gained so many wins that you can no longer attack anyone without losing honor. Oh well.

Also if you lose too much, (or keep attacking only those weaker than you) and go below -500 honor you cannot attack anyone unless you get honor from them. Needless to say, when you hit this point, it sucks. try to avoid this at all costs.

5. Gaining/Losing Honor from a fight

Honor Penalty:
total win count is taken into consideration for honor penalty it you lose a fight. If you have more wins than your opponent and you lose, you lose 1-15 honor - and vice versa.

Gaining Honor:
If the defending opponent has more wins than losses than you do, (if you win the attack) you gain that much honor.

On the flip side of that, if you attack and defeat someone who has less wins over losses you will lose honor for your victory.

example - say you have 15 wins and 12 losses(3 wins), and your chosen opponent has 23 wins 16 losses(7 wins) - Your opponent will be worth 4 honor to you, but you will be worth negative value to him.

Try to keep wins and losses balance out if you can.

6. Experience

How experience works herein Magic Duel is a lot different than other games.

You gain no experience, your creatures do.

The experience points gained from a victory are equal to the amount of damage you do to your opponents creatures (heat adjustments get calculated into the total). To gain any experience, you must survive the fight. A dead creature gains no experience, no matter how much damage you do to the opposition.

If you lose the fight, your surviving creatures gain a small amount of experience. It will not be the total damage done to the opposition, only a portion of it.

The experience points gained are divided between the surviving creatures. Yes, even those creatures you have already maxed out.

You gain no experience from using a healing ritual. If you do no damage, you get nothing - even if you happen to win.

(The following is copied from topic: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=852 )
7. Stat Increases
The amount you get by winning a battle isn't static. It depends on the person you fight, what creatures are used and the amount of damage done. So, the tougher the opponent, and the more vitality, the greater the potential reward.

On average, perhaps one stat will see an increase after winning a fight. Values of .1 are normal, sometimes you will see a higher value depending on your current heat, and then sometimes you will get absolutely nothing. It all depends on the total amount of vitality taken from the opponent.

If you win an attack you can view the stat increase only once. When you view the battle, and go to the report page, you will see what increased just above the report. Winning a defense you can view the stat increase at anytime by replaying the battle and going into the report - scroll to the bottom of the page for this information.

8. Heat

Heat is used as a bonus multiplier for a victory. The maximum heat that a person can build is 3000.

When you move around in Magic Duel you will build heat. Heat counts down 1 second per point.

On average, heat is 25% of your briskness (fractions do not count) + 1-10. The higher your heat, the greater the potential reward. With no heat built You will be able to gain .1 in one or more stats for a challenging victory. With heat, this bonus increases. Max heat (3000) can award a gain of 3 times the bonus(.3). The heat modifier is also added to experience and value rewards.

If any of this information is in error, please let me know and I will correct it or remove it completely - Thanks

~_smile.gif_smile.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_sleep.gif_~
I hope some of this has helped you out, and if I have missed anything (and I am sure I have) the people who post after me will fill in the gaps.

Good Luck, and enjoy Magic Duel!

Disclaimer: King Manu's word is law - If he states anything thats contradicts or corrects what I have written here, that is the final word on the subject. If/when King Manu says the word, I will change the information provided in this post. The "Edit" at the bottom of this post will reflect any changes I make.

Thank you

Edit: Latest Content Added/Changed: 16 Nov 05:46
Corrected number value in "Gaining Honor" from 7 to 4.
Added "Stat Increase"
Added Disclaimer
Adjusted experience info
Changed Stat increase info
Added heat

Edited by Burns
tagged

example - say you have 15 wins and 12 losses(3 wins), and your chosen opponent has 23 wins 16 losses(7 wins) - Your opponent will be worth 7 honor to you, but you will be worth negative value to him.

Actually the opponent would be worth 4 honor wouldnt they?

I once chose to fight some one who would cause me to lose 1 honor if I won. I did win but not only did I lose 1 honor but I also received a stat decrease. Same with attacking someone who would cause me to win honor, I lost the battle and also received a stat decrease. Perhaps there is another factor I am missing, but it definitly showed a negative to a couple of my stats after each battle.

the pop-up boxes after a battle are not telling you a stat increase or decrease. This is what was used in the battle a difference between the 2 combatants as far as I can figure. Disregard the pop-ups box's you see.

Stat adjustments after a battle do not always happen. When they do, a lot of times you will not even notice a difference in the stat change, it will be very low. The only way to be able to notice right away, is if you get a stat increase when that particular stat that is effected is at .9 or something, and you get enough to get the stat to the next whole number, or if you have a window open with your characters profile and after an attack you compare before and after.

More to come on this later

Is there a way to set up a combat ritual without engaging battle?

Also, I set up my initial set of creatures for defend and recruited a new set .. yet when I get attacked my "defend" set is not invoked and instead the creatures that are invoked during the combat seem to random. If the invocation of creatures during an attack is random, then I'm not sure that I'm clear on the benefit of having two teams, one for attack and one to defend.

first - its just most smart to have 1 set for defence and another set for attack but its not nececery i have 1 set for both of them

secound- are u sure u click on defensive when u create your ritual? and are u sure your creature of defensive ritual arent dead (beacuse this couse the ritual become forgotten so u will not have that ritual so your random creature triger)

third - u can set your ritual only when u can attack that person but u dont realy need to attack him beacuse u can close attack window

...and are u sure your creature of defensive ritual arent dead (beacuse this couse the ritual become forgotten so u will not have that ritual so your random creature triger)

That must be it because I get attacked often and as a result, I'm in a near state of perpetual ritual forgetfullness. Thanks again. ;)

You gain no experience, your creatures do.

The experience points you gain in a fight are equal to the amount of damage you do to your opponents creatures. But to gain any experience, you must win the fight. You gain no experience from a loss no matter how much damage you do to the opposition.

The experience points gained are divided between the surviving creatures. Yes, even those creatures you have already maxed out.

You gain no experience from using a healing ritual. If you do no damage, you get nothing - even if you happen to win.

(The following is copied from topic: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=852 )

Could you clarify this please? You begin by saying we dont earn XP but then follow that up with "...The experience points you gain..." Do you mean to say "The experience points your creatures gain..."?

When I click to view another player, I see their XP, is this also creature XP? Isn't it true that creatures are not physical things and therefore their XP is really mine? Would that explain why there is an XP value visible when we click on players? If I sacrifice a creature ... will XP value associated with my character decrease too?

• Root Admin

one remark, all creatures that survive the fight get xp, not only the winning ones. This happens more often now with the short combats, people exit the fight with alive creatures even if they lose and the creatures get xp for that. (you should take a look on what actualy happens and tell me if its not like thsi, because if its not its a bug. Last time i checked it it was very long time ago)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

not quite i have always 2 filled heat bubbles

i used both right after sacking 2 creatures and it said over 4k max

then i sacked anotheer andit said overdrive or something like that and had a phenoix picture in the sun like thingy

4k is not the max and i got a good as hell stat gain in that fight

it was against the shop guardian 2 and i won like atotal of 4 or 5 points not .5 total rounded up

it was alot

• 4 months later...

Yes it is possible to use just 1 as long as it has 301 ve or more. In the moment it has less...another ritual will be selected (that has 301 or more ve). If another ritual is not available then a random one will be generated.
Piece of advice:buy more creatures. 6 is not enough...

You may want to read about rituals here:
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showforum=22"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showforum=22[/url]
[topic="1972"]How to survive in MD world[/topic]

Also, there is a topic for comments and i'll gladly respond to any questions there

• 10 months later...

[quote name='dst' date='24 September 2008 - 06:33 AM' timestamp='1222252413' post='17249']
Yes it is possible to use just 1 as long as it has 301 ve or more. In the moment it has less...another ritual will be selected (that has 301 or more ve). If another ritual is not available then a random one will be generated.
Piece of advice:buy more creatures. 6 is not enough...

You may want to read about rituals here:
<a href="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showforum=22" target="_blank">http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showforum=22</a>
<a href='index.php?showtopic=1972'>How to survive in MD world</a>

Also, there is a topic for comments and i'll gladly respond to any questions there
[/quote]

It seems that all forum links are giving me errors?