Event Scheduling Courtesy

Curiose

I am simply curious as to how the community as a whole views scheduling of events. I admit there is a courtesy to it, but it isn't like people are all vying for the same day to hold their event. As far as I can see, people have it fairly spaced out.

Now, when it comes to continuous events, such as Story Night for example [it was the only one I can come up with off the top of my head], wouldn't that hold... 'scheduling' rights of sorts? Considering that the events are always planned a good month or more in advance, I think that people would at least hold courtesy to people's events, correct?

In my experience, I have always spoken to people about their events [when I had known that they were planning one] so as to bypass any issues with timing. For SN, I try to have a morning and an evening time so as to make room for other events to follow between those two times. I don't mind if someone so much as has the date at the same time, as long as they talk it over with me so that things don't conflict. And if things happen to conflict, then it's apologized, and we try to work around it as best we can. If not, then that is fine.

What I don't particularly like, is when people get snotty about it [or appear to be], and behaving as though what they are planning is somehow superior to what was beforehand prepared. I mean, I can understand, SN is simply SN. If it was some uber awesome event that has been around for... the past six years, sure. I can understand that event or whatever holding precedent and therefore, superiority.

From what I understand, people -do- hold a courtesy towards other people's stuff. Even when I advertise, I did my best not to step on BFH's toes when I had put advertising out to the chat. I pretty much covered the areas of which he did not post in, so as not to conflict. Maybe people don't take it that far, but even so. I am curious as to what the logistics of this is.

I agree. But I find it even more obnoxious when it's plenty easy to get a hold of someone/find the information necessary to schedule such a time instead of blindly groping, and then declaring: OH hey, since we're doing such and such thing, I demand that you move your time so that we can have the date to ourself. : D

While I agree that it's a good plus if people try not to have conflicting schedules with what has already been done, I don't feel that it is a must or that people should be labeled discourteous for not doing so. Of course, if as Pip says, the person does it in purpose so it overlaps with the event, then it is clearly a discourteous act, one that could easily be meant to provoke. If the venue used is also the same, then it's certainly quite offending..

However, most of the time a schedule is chosen because it is the most convenient time for the organizers and the intended audience. If the audience overlaps, it's quite likely inevitable that the preferred schedule is the same. If so, I don't see any problem if they end up setting a similar timing. This is especially true in MD, when weekends are probably the only time when most people are available, as timezone differences will make it hard to pull off events on weekdays. I personally don't see anyone as having a right to monopolize the timing. As much as the late organizers should not tell the ones who have been doing things regularly to back off and change their dates, I don't think the regular ones should either. Both events hold significance to their organizers, and I don't think it's right for one to tell the other off so they can have theirs. To do so is akin to saying their stuff is superior to the other's, and it's something neither side should do. I don't think being already done regularly makes them somehow more superior, and neither does doing something new.

• Root Admin

To be devils advocate shouldnt your continual event be cancelled for the more important one time event. Considering you have picked a time when many people can attend, it makes only sense to use that time for something more imporant such as, what you are refereing to, Renavoids Memorial.

In the past such events were previously done on storynight, and it was cancelled for a week. It allowed the next weeks SN to have more planning and such.

Isnt it discourteous for you to try and "take" one of the best times in the week for yourself?

[b]<note this is merely the other view, i havent really decided my opinion on this yet>[/b]

Right.

I see what you mean. I try to keep the events short, and with enough space inbetween for people. I mean, if ever someone has any issues with scheduling, I'm more than open to talk and work around it and such. I might be a bit head-strong but I'm not a terrible person to converse with when someone needs help changing something.

edit: Chewy posted before I could.

I don't try to take one 'better' date for myself. The times always vary-- except for this weekend, which is a repeat of last SN.

If to be done on a weekday, then it will. It depends on availability and what can be done. if a postponement is necessary, then so be it. Like I said, I will gladly make arrangements if I am notified ahead of time, and there is enough room to change. But, in this instance, I was only given.. maybe less than 5 days to do said preparation, such as scheduling a new time, and letting people know.

Another edit:
And if ever someone should be wanting another time, then I would be more than happy to move the schedule around the newer event. SN normally falls around the middle/end of each month. I don't mind working with people, and I certainly don't mind taking requests or what not.

Edited by Curiose

I've seen people with the best reputations here knowingly and purposefully run a mass RP event right on top of an event they know for a fact was about to happen, while in talks with the people who would run said event, and without mentionning what they were about to do. Now that is discourteous. This? Annoying? probably, but I doubt it was done on purpose to irk you. Story night might be at the forefront of your mind, because you run it, but it isn't constantly publicised, if it were I would know what the next date is for example...which I don't, I'd have to go dig through the forum for it - that's if it even popped into my head at all. If it were being publicised loudly at the time and someone then out-ran, that is one thing, but that isn't the situation here (there is no current status update, no current mood panel update, no news box, and no recently updated forum thread). Incidentally nobody said hey I demand you move your time, I think the words were "The time of this event can not be moved or waivered due to trying to make availability for the kings and players who knew Ren well. If this interferes with story time my apologies and perhaps it can be moved a little to work with this schedule."

Z

The only reason why it hasn't been advertised as much is because I have been busy, and been without internet the past few days.

But from the way he talked on the forums, it seemed like he was saying that I would have to move the scheduling for my event to make room for his.

In real life, other things happen at the same time as funerals/memorials. I recognize that we are a small community and splitting it by holding 2 events may seem like a bad idea but at the same time, both parties will definitely see how people felt about the scheduling conflict by voting with their attendance. This may seem a bit harsh but ultimately MD is a game about choices and by holding 2 events people get to make a choice.

Uh... I also don't know when the next story night is, and am waiting eagerly for its announcement >.>

Although from the above, I can infer it is this weekend, probably mean't to be at the same time as the memorial >.>
(By the way, isn't it Rensak, rather than Renavoid, who "died"? I haven't been following the story, so please PM me if you know rather than hi-jacking this thread with offtopic stuff >.>)

The best advertising for MD I've noticed is that which takes place about a day before an event. If it's any longer than that, people tend to forget the exact date, myself included. I'm running one of them and I forget the exact time. But I guarantee I won't forget once it's less than 24 hours away.

Awi

I second the 24h thing, except for guaranteeing I will remember it even then... make it 90%

As for 'doing it on purpose', you can never be certain, but it is always fair to give people the benefit of doubt. And to undermine that statement: SN is not every week afaik, so it is not taking up the only popular timeslot in existance.

Yeah, It's only one day of the month, or two, depending on time zone.

But the people who participate in it never seem to have an issue with remembering the date, and normally people who happen to stumble upon the event stay, so it's always been fine.

But, this has made me think of a way to better advertise for all events instead of something that happens once a month.

I would have posted here earlier, but was at work until about an hour ago. Honestly I had no clue I was interrupting SN, until was told, which was why i added the saying. As others have said, it is a prime time for MD as a whole, and it isn't easy trying to get such people together in such a short time. As awiiya has said, the best advertising, or time to do certain events, is sooner then later. I apologize if I came/or do come across as rude, its never my intentions to ever by purposely rude, unless your Z of course, because i always am purposely rude to him. Do I think this event 'is more important'? Yes, but I'm not trying to put you or SN down as it is a good program. Just a matter of timing.