Lady Morwen

Good afternoon, I was wondering why is it that I see a bald man/male at the fight window when attacking another player.

I wanted to know if it would be possible that for female players we would see a woman like/shaped figure on that screen instead of a bald "guy" when attacking another player.

Thanks

Kind Regards:

Lady Morwen.

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1298320831' post='79236']
The game would have to know you where a male first.

I think that figure is Supposed to look neuter (although, the shoulders don't improve that much), and a female form is a lot more distinct than a male one.
[/quote]

:huh: I see, yet the game never gave me an option to say I was female, was wondering if that could be added? if possible. ^_^

[quote name='Lady Morwen' timestamp='1298327621' post='79245']
:huh: I see, yet the game never gave me an option to say I was female, was wondering if that could be added? if possible. ^_^
[/quote]

I believe we will NEVER be asked for gender, nor class, nor __insert something other than name&password__.
Such coded limitations wouldn't work for such a free form imaginative playerbase, IMHO.

Well what can we say? Based on the storymode we all woke up naked as a male (thank God), So.. you're a male! :))

ok, ok.. how about this, just imagine you're a female BUT with a male orientation, so you've been cut off your hair and wearing a male's wardrobe. So just close your eyes and pretend that you're a male..,Done! LOL

*Honestly.. I rather call that being as Unisex. :P

Well actually when signing up now you do have an option bar but the option bar only says we don't care. MD though we choose a gender for our selves in the game we are not actually linked to a gender such as in other games. I forget but it was either peace or DST that portrayed her or himself as a male in the beginning and changed orientation to female. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Nobody sees you from your battle avatar. who you are is defined by your game avatar and your actions in game.

I mean when I first came people thought I was female for 2 months because one person decided to choose a gender before me before I tagged myself as male.

When I first saw that figure, I had an unpleasant reaction to it: "That's not me. That doesn't represent me." Now I'm more used to it and can ignore it (it helps that it's covered in armour), but I still dislike it. One of the items in the shop means you get to see the figure a lot more often, and I resisted buying that item for a long time. I'd turn it off if I could.

If the fight screen figure were a little more shapeless, or ghostly, or featureless, I think I'd be a bit happier but I'm not sure.

[quote name='Kamisha' timestamp='1298401472' post='79339']
I forget but it was either peace or DST that portrayed her or himself as a male in the beginning and changed orientation to female[/quote]
The dst account was originally created (and played) by the person who now uses the No one account, who is male, the person who now plays it is female. During the switch over period, the female dst pretended to still be male dst.

As for the topic itself :P
Other than what has already been mentioned, there would also then have to be a whole set of female armour drawn up to match the existing set, but with female attributes to it. As you might imagine this would be a lot of work.

I speak this without all that much fight experience, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

It seems to me that showing the armor avatar in fight screens does not necessarily add so much to the fight. The fighters actual stats might give some meaning, but the armor they wear can only determine % bonuses from their unknown base. I would much prefer to see the actual player avatar in fights and just leave the armor maniken out.

[quote name='apophys' timestamp='1298690066' post='79638']
What about for people without avatars? An empty space?
[/quote]

I would assume that they would then receive the armor mannequin to use. Using your avatar would probably be something that you would buy in the shop and be able to toggle in the options.
Personally, sometimes I like seeing my little armor mannequin.
But other days, I would much rather prefer to have my avatar, especially now that I have one, shown.

Your avatar is supposed to symbolize who you are as a player, so shouldn't that be present in our fights?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I would assume that they would then receive the armor mannequin to use. Using your avatar would probably be something that you would buy in the shop and be able to toggle in the options.
Personally, sometimes I like seeing my little armor mannequin.
But other days, I would much rather prefer to have my avatar, especially now that I have one, shown.

Your avatar is supposed to symbolize who you are as a player, so shouldn't that be present in our fights?

Since Burns linked to this thread, I'ma bump it.

A lot has changed in the nearly four years since this was discussed here, for example we now have a lot more toggle-able options in the options menu.

Perhaps if we added the option for people to see their avatar in combat instead of the mannequin, and a separate option to see either the opponents avatar or mannequin? What each person sees would be based on their personal settings - so if I wanted to see a person's avatar instead of armour that is what I would see, but if my opponent wanted to evaluate what sorts of armour people use rather than looking at their avatars that is what they would see.

Of course, if someone doesn't have an avatar, it would default to showing the armour mannequin regardless of settings, to avoid having a big empty space.

I do not honestly care too much about armour (I do not really play fighter based characters) but with that said, I still would rather enjoy a female avatar being shown. Based even on the first post, this isn't the first or last time it happened. I actually didn't feel that 'Oh this game doesn't care about gender' I felt 'I must of done something wrong, missed a page, or something the little guy that comes up is very much male' and then of course was informed that I should take it as genderless afterwards, which for me would had worked, if I didn't feel like I had this big buffy male every time a PvE (and now PvP) happened. 

This can be solved completely if the male figure (and I'm sorry it is far from genderless regardless what one desires to say) was made more genderless if the idea is 'we don't care about gender here' or the addition of a 'are you male or female' if something about maybe wanting to change it later, simply allow the little drop down menu be just that, easy to change from male or female.

Though the addition of being able to see the little artwork would be most wonderful and I think a lot of players old and new would love that and even the artists themselves would likely adore to see their artwork more 'seen' in other ways.

I do not honestly care too much about armour (I do not really play fighter based characters) but with that said, I still would rather enjoy a female avatar being shown. Based even on the first post, this isn't the first or last time it happened. I actually didn't feel that 'Oh this game doesn't care about gender' I felt 'I must of done something wrong, missed a page, or something the little guy that comes up is very much male' and then of course was informed that I should take it as genderless afterwards, which for me would had worked, if I didn't feel like I had this big buffy male every time a PvE (and now PvP) happened. 

This can be solved completely if the male figure (and I'm sorry it is far from genderless regardless what one desires to say) was made more genderless if the idea is 'we don't care about gender here' or the addition of a 'are you male or female' if something about maybe wanting to change it later, simply allow the little drop down menu be just that, easy to change from male or female.

Though the addition of being able to see the little artwork would be most wonderful and I think a lot of players old and new would love that and even the artists themselves would likely adore to see their artwork more 'seen' in other ways.

Nice ideas but useless at this point in time.

Having an avatar means you dont see the armor they are using -> less tactics (although with todays fight system I dont think thats really "true", but it was before)

I agree with you there, which is why I suggested the option default to showing armour in every case, and only show avatars if you change it yourself, and it only effect the perceptions of the person who has changed the setting - not anyone else you fight (so you choosing to show your avatar in battle only shows it to you, what other people see is based on whether they want to see opponent armour or opponent avatars)