First Impression Feedback

Kyphis the Bard

I noticed that there was a need expressed for a explanative document in both the critic’s review and your own, Kyphis. There are many simple things that are explained in the original tutorial, but there are ten times as many questions that new players can find to ask.

The critic mentioned on how players were “slow to respond,” to anything he had to say, and were vague in their answers. I know this is because there are few of us, who are not constantly active, and that we want there to be a certain air of mystery about MD, but perhaps is should be clearly defined as to what questions we will answer, and which ones should be found out on their own.

What am I getting at? Well, just as it was brought up in the discussion of Law Advisors and rules, I think there should be a collective document of general information, just for the knowledge of newer players. (Or older forgetful ones.) It could be a collection of simple details on gameplay and just how things normally go on in MD. Find out what players struggle with, and come up with answers or clues for them. Yes, I understand there are the LHO’s, and I believe this document should be [i]their [/i]collection; but just having a LHO available is not always enough. (Which as a side note, the critic mentioned on how we have our own “lingo” that only [i]we[/i] seem to understand. Perhaps part of the document could be definitions of acronyms and words specific to MD. Such as “Live Help Operator.”)

It’s also understood that there is a FAQ in the MagicDuel game… it is a good start, but is obviously not enough. Seeing as that some quit with many questions unanswered.
And for any of you who are thinking players can just go to the forums to find information… have you actually tried doing this? The critic specifically mentioned how the forums seemed to be filled with players chatting and speaking of the “drama” in MD. It is quite difficult to find information there without having to hunt for long periods of time, so it is not exactly a well of knowledge.

So in ending, I’m not sure the details of how this document should be made, or where it should be placed… but I sincerely believe it should be worked upon and made a reality. Thank you for any consideration you give this; and many thanks for your time Kyphis. I know we all appreciate it.

That's the one! Thankyou Burns ^_^

I'm going to have a look through that topic and see if there are any points I can look into in there...

[quote name='The Great Wanderer' timestamp='1319425590' post='94532']
It’s also understood that there is a FAQ in the MagicDuel game…
[/quote]
Soooooo... anyone know where? I have never seen it >.>

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

Ah, thankyou again Burns >.>

This is the price I pay for independent knowledge... especially amusing since I spell checked that whole thing...

Further suggestions:[list]
[*]Where it tells you how to heal your creatures, include a picture that shows clearly the button you need to click to heal your creatures.
[*]Make the FAQ a bit more in depth and its location more obvious. Since a lot of new players don't even know about the LHO button, they aren't going to find the FAQ, are they?
[/list]
Suggestions for the FAQ should really go in a different topic, so I will leave that to some other nutbag to crusade about (or wait until I go stark raving mad again)

Chose a password to protect your account

Choose a password to protect your account

however good one:-) maybe leave the old one and when you click on register appear this one... or use this one and put all info that was in old homepage in a new button on the top...
more visible and quickly to see could be put in the middle a button for register and one for login...
for example put an image in the middle... at right of it register button and at left login button... on the top all the buttons that there now...
if you click on login will go to the normal login page, instead if you click on the register will go the page that you have created now..
put also in tip that you can create more accounts and you can't change name manually in options page

Edited by MRAlyon

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]I generally don't do things like this, but it sort of goes along with the recent review. This a message I received from what appears to be an aggravated newbie. I've changed nothing in it. It is pasted exactly as I received it.[/font][/color]

"HELLO...SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR GAME 'GUIDELINES' ON PROPER FIGHTING, BALANCE...WHAT THIS SITE NEEDS IS SOMEONE TO CAPTURE SCREEN SHOTS OF YOUR RULES, REGULATIONS, PLUS THE EMAIL FROM YOUR SITE STATING THAT 'ACCOUNT CAN NOT BE DELETED' AND POST IT ON YOU TUBE..NOT RECOMMENDING YOUR ONLINE GAME."

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]My response message has gone unopened. Most likely because the player will not be returning. Deleting an account is something I'm asked about more often than I'd like to admit. I would venture to say that the question comes at least once a week. My suggestions would be:[/font][/color]
[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]1. make deleting an account available[/font][/color]
[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]2. remove the comments in the tutorial fights about needing to win/lose. (I hear about those a lot, too)[/font][/color]
[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]3. make the [Restrictions] at the top of the page a different color to draw attention to it.[/font][/color]
[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]4. pull the FAQ information from the LHO to a separate choice at the top of the screen with the restrictions and announcements.[/font][/color]

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Even if the above player was an alt, they present valid points.[/font][/color]

Two more points that have been raised with me by new players:

Stat boosts during story mode - It is often unclear when a boost is temporary, and when the stat is permanently increased. This causes a lot of frustration, and could be easily fixed.

MDA Gates - Obviously, these have been changed for a reason. Since Papers are an important tool for fleshing out your character, I suggest useing a tool already in place to help alleviate confusion in this area: The New Player Location Tips.
Something along the lines of: "Getting through these gates is one of the first obstacles you face. As you spend more time in the realm, it will become easier and easier to travel, but for now you will need to find ways to temporarily raise your AP if you wish to pass this gate. The lessons you learn here will help you succeed later in your travels"

I was slightly confused about Stat boosts during Story mode also, so good catch. I'd also recommend slightly changing your tip above to actually say "action Points". (change highlighted below)

One of the more irritating things my third day here was asing some question (I forget what) and being helped with something simialr to " Well, walk around for VP but wait for timer get AP and VE, but don't bother going to LR, GG or NV yet for UPs. You won't need them at MP3. Want a Tree?".
Took me even more asking to realize the info was correct, and what all those acronyms meant as Value, Action, Vitality, Golemus, Mind Power, etc.
Granted, tips won't usually reply in such 'cryptic' ways all at once, but writing out AP=Action Points would be helpful to some, and though redundant for others, still valid.

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1320196142' post='95081']
... find ways to temporarily raise your [b]Action Points (AP) [/b]if you wish to pass this gate. The lessons you learn here will help you succeed later in your travels"
[/quote]

Edited by Maebius

The difficulty of understanding MD's vocab is being worked on... slowly... by a few of us.
Give us a few months :P

One other thing that was a large point of confusion in Beau Hindermans Video:
The Calender project. Currently for days without any data it doesn't give any explanation for what it means. It would be good if whoever was running that project could put a message explaining the project on every page that currently has no date. That way, it won't be confusing for new players and it will also display the other information it is supposed to (daily stat gains).

EDIT: New question highlighting something else that could be confusing: The Loreroot access puzzle ingredients where assigned before harvesting tools existed. As such, some players think that you need access to harvesting tools to get the water and nightshade.
Might want to put in a little bit of clarification somewhere that that isn't the case.

[color=#008080][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]One of the most often questions I get has been referenced above: It says I get x number of action points in the story boost, but I didn't get them. I get that question more than "What is heat?"[/font][/color]

[quote][font="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"][size="2"][color="#663300"][b]Congratulations, you filled 10k of your heat tolerance by fighting. Visit your quest page to continue. [/b][/color][/size][/font][/quote]

This notice should probably be changed. Filling 10000 heat tolerance doesn't do anything in the quest page anymore.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1319511026' post='94584']
here is the new homepage, much more direct and less confusing i hope. The registration takes one directly to the game. further gameplay changes are pending,

magicduel.com/new_begining.php
[/quote]
While re-reading some old topics to see if there was anything for the CLC to discuss, I came upon a discussion about the way registration was done before, which the new method lacks.

At current, the new page does not say anything about not useing names of officials and characters from within the game.
[quote name='Restrictions Page - Main Things That Can Get You Banned'][list]
[*]Impersonating an other player pretending you are him or using very similar playername to do that
[*]Using playernames like "MagicDuel" or a creature name or combinations that could cause confusion[/quote]
[/list]
Something to indicate that should probably be added in again.

I helped someone today regarding "healing creatures". The prologue states the following when you reach the point of the Aramory:
[log='Congratulations, you have bound your first creature to your spirit.']"Congratulations, you have bound your first creature to your spirit. The first step on the path of battles has been taken. However, the road ahead is still long.
A new icon has been added to your menu, leading to the Creature Index.
On the upper part of the page, your Adepts, along with yourself are shown praying to your Vitality Sphere. By clicking on the Vitality Sphere you will be able to give a percentage of your own life, depending on the number of your Adepts and bestow it to one of any of your creatures.
On the lower part of the page all your creatures along with details regarding their life and level of evolution are shown. By clicking on their icons, you will be able to see more details about them."[/log]

This is a bit unclear, since you don't actually click the big yellow orb with "adepts praying to it" in order to share your vitality. You need to click the little orange dot under each individual Creature, instead.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that it is possible for a new player to wander into the capital of MArind Bell and get "stuck" on the "Weaponshop", the "Influences" or "Guilds" rooms inside there. Entering is easy, but they require +40 AP due to viscosity, and there is no chat window to ask for help. Might be a minor thing, but wanted to mention it, since it may require someone to wait almost a half hour to "escape" which is a long time when just discovering this 'Game', and thinking that a single "regen tick" would help them.

Edited by Maebius

[quote name='Maebius' timestamp='1320924583' post='95575']
I helped someone today regarding "healing creatures". The prologue states the following when you reach the point of the Aramory:
[log='Congratulations, you have bound your first creature to your spirit.']"Congratulations, you have bound your first creature to your spirit. The first step on the path of battles has been taken. However, the road ahead is still long.
A new icon has been added to your menu, leading to the Creature Index.
On the upper part of the page, your Adepts, along with yourself are shown praying to your Vitality Sphere. By clicking on the Vitality Sphere you will be able to give a percentage of your own life, depending on the number of your Adepts and bestow it to one of any of your creatures.
On the lower part of the page all your creatures along with details regarding their life and level of evolution are shown. By clicking on their icons, you will be able to see more details about them."[/log]

This is a bit unclear, since you don't actually click the big yellow orb with "adepts praying to it" in order to share your vitality. You need to click the little orange dot under each individual Creature, instead.
[/quote]
That, along with a lot of other issues, could be fixed by including a simple labelled diagram with the information page telling them about healing creatures. I'm actually getting a small library ready to post on the Wiki with basic play guides (healing, ritual setup, etc) as a step by step thing.
Hopefully I can start posting them later this week, but I have been very busy with RL stuff the last three weeks.

• 3 years later...

Necropost, mp3 don't have an elrion device but can still feel the effects of heat. I cite only anecdotal evidence, someone needs to make an alt and test it (*pokes Ary Endleg*).

That is well known thing, don't need to test anything, I used heat while I myself was MP3. If I remember correctly from my PM talks with Chew year ago, it all works as it should.