Fyrd Argentus - Major Rededication of Focus

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1349249608' post='122950']
Mur has always discouraged outside and RL stuff, he likes unique stuff. However that doesnt mean that we must obey, this isnt Mur's world anymore.
[/quote]

Well I don't often disagree with you Chew, but in this case I DO. A world like no other, this dimension was born of a man's ideas. I think this should be respected. I am not a very abstract person, but will try (coloring and staying in the lines throws me off:P).

The expectation was set long ago and is what makes MD special. It's about thinking outside of the "box".

Could you clarify, Kiley? I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with the first or second sentence.

My thoughts: Ideas don't bubble out of nothing. They are influenced and shaped by the world we live in. And they grow stronger through the tug and pull of others' thoughts (be they agreement, additions, or counterarguments).

[quote name='Ivorak' timestamp='1349319246' post='123039']
Could you clarify, Kiley? I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with the first or second sentence.

My thoughts: Ideas don't bubble out of nothing. They are influenced and shaped by the world we live in. And they grow stronger through the tug and pull of others' thoughts (be they agreement, additions, or counterarguments).
[/quote]

And this leads to originality. One stone upon another really.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1349249608' post='122950']
Mur has always discouraged outside and RL stuff, he likes unique stuff. However that doesnt mean that we must obey, this isnt Mur's world anymore.
[/quote]
is in reply to the suggestion of the name Yggdrasil.
Original words for MD-specific concepts (fenths, erolin, aramor, Marind, winderwild, etc) are generally preferred, though this is no rule by any means (liquid dust, Hollow Soul, heat..)

[quote name='Kiley' timestamp='1349316812' post='123037']
Well I don't often disagree with you Chew, but in this case I DO. A world like no other, this dimension was born of a man's ideas. I think this should be respected. I am not a very abstract person, but will try (coloring and staying in the lines throws me off:P).

The expectation was set long ago and is what makes MD special. It's about thinking outside of the "box".
[/quote]

The best ideas—those most applicable and true across many swathes of reality (and MD is a reality, of sorts)—don't come from vacuums but from a broad base of true examples.
Maybe most obviously, the Calendar includes examples of important events occurring on a given date for many cultures at once. (Or at least it did; maybe this ‘revival’ effort could include finishing the out the last few months of the year..?)

The lack of multiple perspectives is my main objection to Yggdrasil, whose name comes from a single culture. While Tree of Life resolves this, it's a bit campy/Terrence Mallick/borderline euphemistic for the cause (personal opinion).

Whatever it’s called, better to make it happen in the realm than quibble over minorities. The ideas listed above are a promising start.

[sup]..Now was that about a box?[/sup]

Edited by Zyrxae

I do NOT want to steal adepts from other MP6's - like Peace. Protectors do a great service for the realm, and should be supported.

You can add your voice to this group by declaring your support and friendship, and maintain loyalty to your existing Protector. That's absolutely just as good for raising our voices up to the powers that be.

{Conversely, don't waste your adept vote on somebody who is not a candidate - support somebody who really benefits from your adept status! We need more MP6's, and with the active day limit reduced, we should be able to support more of them again -- 30 plus adepts each is what is needed.}

p.s. My former work in Legend Speakers was to create a website-format news site to compete with the "periodic formal issue" concept behind the MD Newspaper. That is a fine place to paste articles of general interest to the realm, showing what is possible and the grand scope of MD, without being tied to publication dates. Use it.

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

• Root Admin

[quote name='Kiley' timestamp='1349316812' post='123037']

[/quote]

Im not actually raising a point or an opinion here. What im merely stating is what has and is happening. Mur has previously said, repeatedly, that he dislikes unoriginal stuff, however i made the new point of view that MD has been shaped by its players more and more recently, where mur has stepped back more and is not guiding the realm directly like he was in the AL and such.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1349346356' post='123060']
Im not actually raising a point or an opinion here. What im merely stating is what has and is happening. Mur has previously said, repeatedly, that he dislikes unoriginal stuff, however i made the new point of view that MD has been shaped by its players more and more recently, where mur has stepped back more and is not guiding the realm directly like he was in the AL and such.
[/quote]

What are some examples of unoriginal things he has disliked?

[quote]one thing left from the past, heading to a direction that i now admit as being stupid, now is fixed.
The second necrovion gate will be there but without any relation to others work. The "gate of the gods" that allows entrance to a different necrovion will be again there but in a tottaly original way.[/quote]
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/1025-yog-sothoth/"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/1025-yog-sothoth/[/url]
[quote]When i used that sign i was thinking about this. I might have done a mistake doing it, i am not sure yet if so. Your reactions to this matter a lot. I am a maniac in having original work, i spent a lot of time in doing research and carefully study all implications of the land names used in the game, the principles, and many other things, and to have a spot of "copied material" like that seal, is unacceptable unless i hoped to achieve a certain effect with it, one of the effects desired was to have peope researching some things in that direction.[/quote]
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/2359-the-symbol-at-the-howling-gates/"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/2359-the-symbol-at-the-howling-gates/[/url]

These are the best example I could think of.

Social action opportunity - on the theory that Protectors help new visitors to the realm.

*Peace* says she's about to drop.
I just adepted her.
We could as a project make sure she doesn't drop. What is the group's opinion on her protectorship?
You can still support/befriend this group without adepting me.

Right now we're at 16 adepts, 9 supporters, plus me, so the difference between an adept vs. supporter today is nil....

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

Vision Group is the working name then.

See next thread for working on "the plan". Continue to use this thread for declarations of support etc.
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13100-the-vision-group-plan/"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13100-the-vision-group-plan/[/url]

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fyrd,

Definitely sir, count me in as a friend, always and a supporter of this movement! :P What rad ideas, interesting opinions and fellowship people/lands. I'll offer 15sc and any other resources needed (fenths, water, branches, etc).

Jolla

• 1 month later...

The effort seems to be flagging. Or maybe I'm just getting old and tired. Thanks for all the verbal support, but we need some energy behind actions. Shall we try to make the items? Find somebody who can code? Set up a formal petition? Or go on ignoring death as a force in the realm?

HI Fyrd

Your threads as gain you support and its a kind of petition by itself

But the way i see, only either MUR or Concil can make it apend

Maybe they would be more convince to help with a former petition? possibly

The problem with that subject, is that many can have the will to do something, but its not in there power or capacity to act upon it by themself

The only way pratical i see, is that someone get an talk with wither Mur or Concil and get an idea of:
- what will make them do it , if there is such a way

Edited by Tom Pouce

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, Fyrd. I've been a bit busy, but have some free time now. For now, three things.[list=1]
[*][b]Accounting. [/b] I pledged some gold before. I'm removing the restrictions I had on that matching bid, so now anyone can donate to this effort and have their donation matched (up to 15 gold, I think it was). I owe the effort six gold currently.
[*][b]Quest idea.[/b] If anyone is a board game enthusiast or just has a knack for organizing big games/events, I have a quest idea that you might be able to run. It would take place partly on the forum, hopefully mostly in game, though if you're good at coding clickables we could keep it from cluttering up the forum even more. It would require quite a few prizes (I can provide a number, I think) as it is a collaborative effort that pits land against land. Contact me for more details, no commitment required off the bat.
[*][b]Magazine.[/b] Hedge Munos and I just launched the first issue of [i]The Whimsy[/i], a short, oft-satirical, magazine for MagicDuel. Read it [url="http://checkthis.com/the-whimsy-01"]here[/url]. We'd love your help for future issues. Send us ideas, articles, drawings, etc. (We plan to publish every two weeks, but we can do more if submissions are plentiful.)
[/list]
Working on another quest, we'll see where that goes.

Food for thought, must be disseminated lest someone starve and die. I am beginning to realize that this thread is exactly what is needed.

[color=#CCCCCC]Page 205 [2008-09-03 05:52:37 - The Shade Ballance - Others][/color]
Reports of cruel murders terrify all alliance leaders. It seems that the tension between the lands has started to make people more powerful in their will and their fights actually kill the opponent. There is no proof that the shades may have something to do with this, although rumors about inner Magic used by the Shade Sentinel itself , have been heard. People start to seek the warmth of the sanctuaries or even the teachings of the Dojo, but others search for sharper swords and prepare for war.
[color="#CCCCCC"]Page 204 [2008-09-03 05:40:08 - The Shade Ballance - Cal.][/color]
A priestess spoke of a place to heal and study rituals without fear of attack. People gathered and asked, "What is this place?" She replied, "The Dojo, a school where all ask for and receive permission before attacking." Silence fell as all considered this new idea; then they cried out, "When? Where?" And the priestess said "Now!". People all over the realm gather to receive the guidance and training at the Dojo, some even offer to teach. The Shades tremble before this collosal initiative of the outer world.

Death in and of itself is not bad and banning death from MD would be one of the worse things one could do. Death gives meaning to life, it urges one to be careful, yet also to strive forward as one day that will no longer be possible. Furthermore death brings people closer together.Basically you won't realize what you have until you lose it and if there isn't even the risk of losing it, it is completely meaningless.

But that's all about the concept death, the way death works in MD at the moment it's little more than an over powered spell. A combination of Lock in Chaos and a repaired Attack Lock that doesn't end automatically, but only after someone ends it.

Death isn't bad, only the way it works seems to be wrong. You can try making revival easier, but as long as death is the way it is it will solve little and breaks things further. As to how it should work, I have a few ideas, but want to do some work them out some more before posting them.