A really really annoying layout shift on menu expand

No one

Yea it is really annoying that if you expand the "see more" the page you are viewing is getting lower (especially with mood pannel).

A solution would be to update the layout like this :

iframe id="bar"    -> from height=" 1100 "  to  height=100% 
 -> parent TD (parent of iframe)   -> from height="1100" to height=100%
 -> parent table (parent of TD of iframe)-> from height="541" to height=100%

Also, as the "mood panel" is always too long, add to the iframe's stye:

instead of "background:transparent;" use "background:transparent;overflow:auto;"

I have to be honest, I rather like the new layout for the menu above the mood panel. It is good that you can expand it and close it. I personally do not have an issue with it, but there is a space after "Development status: evolving" that could have something placed in it in the future.

Just a thought. I'm rather happy to see this change.

I have to be honest, I rather like the new layout for the menu above the mood panel. It is good that you can expand it and close it. I personally do not have an issue with it, but there is a space after "Development status: evolving" that could have something placed in it in the future.

Just a thought. I'm rather happy to see this change.

Only because it has nice pictures doesn't mean it's well done.

Only because it has nice pictures doesn't mean it's well done.

Just because it isn't well done doesn't mean it isn't a good idea :P

Although personally I am in agreement, the way it shifts is very annoying. Good idea, needs refinement (I especially hate when I load the page and am looking at the mood panel (or any other page), only to have it start rising up the screen while I am looking it because the thing is closing. Worst is mouseover pages like Active Vets.)

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

You are not paying attention AKK, I don't care about the feature, i just want it fixed.

if you expand it you might just see that your name, id and "- Logout | go idle" will shift up and down.

This is what's about with this topic.

• Root Admin

No one..your tech suggestions i am sure they are well intended but are useless, please try to make me understand what the visual issue is, not what you think its wrong in the code. Do you mean the main page, the one with the scene shifts a bit down? I can't see this happening now, i think its fixed or its my browser?

(not) sorry to hear that recent changes are so annoying for you i am sure you will survive them

Yes: "the main page, the one with the scene shifts a bit down"

Ok, this is the "how to" to see the issue:

1. open the option link (because it is a short page)

2. go to top of the page and locate the "go idle" link

3. click to "open" /"close" the new menus

You will notice that the "go idle" link will shift up and down.

You cannot fix it as long as you have fixed height for the items you use. And using tools like dreamweaver might not help if they keep adjusting the lengths & heights instead of keeping them as you define them.

I am OK if you are (not) sorry. All I want is for you to do it properly.

I know how to fix this point and I gave you A solution to A problem.

If you want to do anything / nothing, that it is no longer my problem.

In the end you are still correct:  "i am sure you will survive them".

hmm, I tried this on FF and IE8, following No one's directions, and I'm also not seeing the page shift at all.    The only thing that moves is the right frame, when the nice new pictures open/closes, which is what I expect.  The "content" frame seems static here.

Edited by Maebius

And I do see what No one is talking about - the only nice thing is, that the whole page goes smoothly up and down. It's kind of fun and it seems I can play with this all day long :D

Browser: Firefox 21.0

PrtScrns:

http://storenow.net/my/?f=3782c899fe260bb8b1b5e44637874c65

http://storenow.net/my/?f=3e569643724c922c2a8f146428f11539

Download and compare - it shows.

I haven't been seeing it the entire time, even before the complaint... thus my post. It was a little slow in Opera, but Opera is in general kind of slow.. it worked for IE 8, the newest version of Fire Fox, Google Chrome, and Safari for me, and two out of five of these program I downloaded just to test.

I would say, No one, that it has to do with your browser.. or your flash, or your computer or something. Not the function of the code itself.

Yea, it might depend on the browser and the amount of information in the "mood panel".

The problem is how the browsers see / render the page with issues in it.

The whole table in main page is declared static to height="1400" .

The right side (trigger box & new menu & "mood panel or whatever is open) is declared in a table height="541" .
This new table from right side contains among other images, quite a few and each adding more height and on top of that :
 - an iframe of height="180" -> trigger box
 - the new menu that extends to about height="280" (for my options only)
 - the mood panel of height="1100"

Because the maximum on this side is greater then the maximum of the parent object / table witch has only 1400 ... the browser has to treat it in some ways.

And for me it happens as Fire Starter's print-screens.

What I proposed, is indeed "useless" as long as the browser can handle it and you want to let the browser render it "as it wants" / kind of randomly.

Indeed, I use a Firefox 21.0 (always latest), latest Flash (I am too lazy to upgrade them manually so I let them do it as often as they get).

I use Firefox because I want to have control on what I have displayed & what I see.

NOTE: except the fact that it has images and it could be hidden from the start, I have not many ( :P ) things against the new menu.

PS: The issue has been explained & tested (by others). I have nothing new to add. You might as well close this topic

Edited by No one

Yeah the mainframe is affected by the menu in FF 21. I would have made the menu open over the triggerbox to keep the sidebar from moving as it is somewhat... well annoying :). Tho with jquery.com blocked it does not move :P

• 6 years later...