PM's to email

Mallos

PM's to email  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ann. 2557 - [2013-04-30 02:04:02 - Stage 11]
PM's to email has been disabled while we look into the issues this was causing. Work on this feature will be scheduled with other features and will be worked on depending on public feedback

PM's to email doesn't seem to have been worked on yet and this is a poll to give public feedback on the matter.

(I personally would like it brought back. Anyone else?)

• Root Admin

It's not a decision I can just take. If we have been marked as a spammer then we are goin to have issues again if we start sending out a lot of emails. I wouldn't have disabled it if we weren't having issues because at some point, again no one reported it so I don't know when, someone started to block all our mails. If we lose all mail sending ability we have massive issues, so for the moment I would prefer we do have it and not risk all email sending ability.

The poll needs this information, I want it back, but in light of this info I know, I don't want it back for now.

Just fyi, my client repeatedly suggested that i should put MD on spam because of all the inactive clicky messages. Maybe you'd want to turn those off, too?

"Clickable inactivity notification" is available under options, unless you're saying that it still sends those messages even with the box unchecked.

The PM to e-mail system makes being able to suppress a message obsolete since the person can read it anyway.

If someone gets an in-game message, they should read it in-game.

How is reading an emailed message and deleting that same message before reading it in-game effectively different from opening a PM, quickly copying its contents into a text editor, hitting "read later" on the PM, and then deleting it?* Both allow the intended recipient to read the message without the receiver believing it has been read; the latter just has slightly more potential for human error.

I'm for pms to email because it simplifies what I do anyway.

If this does get worked on soon, I'd also like to ask about the line breaks not showing up in emailed PMs, at least in Gmail and Yahoo. (000A being converted into 0020, just for you Chew)

*Of course I've never done this..

EDIT: everyone's and DD's concern is valid, although I'd always seen this as more of a fun feature than an issue needing solving. If it comes down to it, though, the waiting period's fine by me.

Edited by Zyrxae

• Root Admin

I'm for pms to email because it simplifies what I do anyway.

If this does get worked on soon, I'd also like to ask about the line breaks not showing up in emailed PMs, at least in Gmail and Yahoo. (000A being converted into 0020, just for you Chew)

*Of course I've never done this..

Reminder for all: Reporting bugs in random posts, means the bugs never get fixed. The one you describe is known however and when i get time i will rewrite the emailing so its better.

• Root Admin

pm to email feature was initially made to have a way to notify inactive players that they are still contacted ingame..hoping this will bring them back or at least keep them in contact with those that look for them. would it help to send email via md smtp instead of php? would it help to email only when last login is more than one week ago, but no more than two month? i consider it an important feature ..but that option in the poll about working on other stuff sounds also interesting :)

How is reading an emailed message and deleting that same message before reading it in-game effectively different from opening a PM, quickly copying its contents into a text editor, hitting "read later" on the PM, and then deleting it?* Both allow the intended recipient to read the message without the receiver believing it has been read; the latter just has slightly more potential for human error.

The last time I checked, (a couple of months ago) unread PM's or PM's marked as "read later" that are deleted don't show in the outgoing messages section, the sender will still think the message has been read. The point of the "supress messages feature" is to cancel a message so it cannot be read. The pm to e-mail system makes this feature pointless if the reciever clicks the lit-up envelope to find the message gone, then checks their e-mail to read the message that was suppossed to be suppressed. if a delay was added to the e-mail being sent, and the sender given a warning that they have an X amount of minutes to suppress it before it is sent via e-mail, the system would be better in my opinion.

Edited by everyone

• Root Admin

The last time I checked, (a couple of months ago) unread PM's or PM's marked as "read later" that are deleted don't show in the outgoing messages section, the sender will still think the message has been read. The point of the "supress messages feature" is to cancel a message so it cannot be read. The pm to e-mail system makes this feature pointless if the reciever clicks the lit-up envelope to find the message gone, then checks their e-mail to read the message that was suppossed to be suppressed. if a delay was added to the e-mail being sent, and the sender given a warning that they have an X amount of minutes to suppress it before it is sent via e-mail, the system would be better in my opinion.

Im very sure they do, because people complain that i dont read PM's becuase i read and mark as unread to deal with later.

I for one really love the outgoing messages control feature, especially the suppress message part of it. The reason I'm concerned is that it was something we bought in the shop, even if it was something easy to get and as low as one dollar. Whereas PMs to email is free and makes that useless.

I completely support everyone's solution.

Or, a simple solution would be to just email people telling them that they have received a message. The actual message wouldn't be included in the email. I think that the name of the person who has sent the message should, however. Then it's easy to ignore messages from people who you know just like to bug you.

I like the repress message feature and the email notification of new pms. :P I voted for the 'other features' option though, at least if another feature could be implemented in around the same amount of time.

Edited by Change

• Root Admin

Or, a simple solution would be to just email people telling them that they have received a message. The actual message wouldn't be included in the email. I think that the name of the person who has sent the message should, however. Then it's easy to ignore messages from people who you know just like to bug you.

I like the repress message feature and the email notification of new pms. :P I voted for the 'other features' option though, at least if another feature could be implemented in around the same amount of time.

Im working on a new emailing feature as soon as i fix MD actually. its very cool.