Following a report to mods

No one

I wan to know why this is still on the forum.

I reported it 2 times in 2 different occasions.

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13740-resource-depletion-for-or-against/#entry132678

So, back to you No one. .... You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows. You have yet to produce any decent milk or meat and instead you have provided this load of infertile bull**** :P

I dare anyone to answer that this is not an insult.

• Root Admin

Moved to general forum becuase its not a SoS matter.

As i have informed you numerous times, if you wish to report some issue in moderation you should PM me directly and i will not be replying to this topic any further.

No One, this is ridiculous.  It's certainly not constructive.  It may also be considered backseat modding.  Two rules broken, to complain about one that was not.

I don't like ad hominems on the forum.  But this insult you've quoted is borderline in that aspect.  Nothing worth making a fuss about.

What gets me is that you've already received multiple responses.  One you yourself posted here: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/14193-over-moderation/?p=137203.  The next post contains an additional response from Chewett.  This is a perfectly valid principle in my books (no ex post facto laws) and means that Rumi did not break the rules.  

Should he have said that?  Probably not, because it lead to this airing of grievances which is almost always accompanied by an aura of negativity.  Should we fault him for his inability to expect your inability to let things go?  No.  

My advice to you is that if this really bothers you, avoid opening that thread again.  Then you won't have to read it.  Maybe you're worried instead about what others will think of you if they read it.  I don't think it really clouded my judgement, but this topic may have.  It's not pleasant reading complaints from someone who often invites such criticisms upon themself.  I'm just me, but most others won't have read that, especially if they are new to MD and the forums.  Now you've ensured they have a second chance to see it.

No One, let it go.  Graze all you want, but there's no need to bite when the shepherd nudges you away.  You can always sneak back and graze some more.  And there are always greener fields.  Seek those.

Rumi is gone at least for a while.  What point is there to pursue any of it?

Is it an insult?  It would depend on whether you think being called a cow is an insult.  While they aren't very bright, a lot of people like cows.  If you are "over grazing", truth isn't an insult.

@Ivorak, what do you consider most insulting ? If I call you a bull or a cow ?

@Mya: When I had 1 word out of place, my post was hidden until the issue was solved. So this argument invalid.

@Chewett: I opened a report then I reminded you about it.

I AM SICK of subjective modding.

And I made this topic so that all can see when it is solved.

Let me know if I should complain further or if I should call somebody "infertile bull" or "cow" depending on gender.

Edit:

Is it an insult?  It would depend on whether you think being called a cow is an insult.  While they aren't very bright, a lot of people like cows.  If you are "over grazing", truth isn't an insult.

Mya, so ... what you say is that you wouldn't mind being called a cow ?

Edited by No one

Thank you Mya. This means I can call you a cow and you'll not feel insulted, right?

I am asking here so I will not be accused later of insulting you.

LE: seems No one understood the same thing I did :D. I am just woke up so I am a bit dizzy :D

Edited by dst

Here, have someone elses discussion thread on cow as an insult

And a few context based definitions from Urban Dictinary (NSFW - Language)

There are plenty of other links I could throw up, but basically it all boils down to the following: Cow is almost always intended as an insult, however the severity of that insult is based on its context.

Given that the word cow is proceeded by the word "stupid"....

Its less about who made the post, and more about the rules being applied fairly for all, with no subjectivity (which, as many of us pointed out, is going to be pretty close to impossible). At least, that's the only reason I am taking any interest. No One might be doing it because he is actually genuinely offended.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

So, that phrasing is ... not an insult.

And these are the "stupid cows" & "infertile bulls" that do enjoy it.:

- Ivorak 10 August 2013 - 11:16 PM
- Chewett 10 August 2013 - 11:18 PM
- DARK DEMON 10 August 2013 - 11:26 PM
- rikstar 10 August 2013 - 11:51 PM
- nadrolski Yesterday, 04:16 AM

Thank you for allowing all of us to use such "pleasant" and colorful words.

I am still waiting a mod's reasoning on my question above.

--------------

And for Chewett : this topic was in SOS for a reason, it is the section of the forum where I can properly moderate things.

In your position, you don't really care anymore about others think so you show us another wonderful moderation act. Congratulation.

What it all boils down to is whether people want the mods to be strict when it comes to unnecessary posts and words, or lenient. So far we've been somewhat lenient. I'm guessing people want us to be stricter then? Fine by me, but I wonder if it's what everyone wants. If people don't want us to be strict, then we have to hesitate a lot before we declare something as needlessly offensive.

It causes a lot less headaches, for me at least, to moderate strictly than to be somewhat lenient.

Edited by Change

This is NOT the case of lenient or strict. This is a case of a pure insult. Not a joke, not a confusion. If you treat this lenient then I will understand from your actions that if I call someone a "stupid cow" I will not get a warning/my post will not be moderated/etc.
You have been asked to apply the rules YOU have set. That's all.

You want to troll about and call me a cow... go ahead. Not like I'm gonna feed you.

People don't understand one thing: why must every single thing be taken to the forums? What is the game for, then? Why couldn't you solve the issue in-game? Fine, it would have been a fight but if MD was permanently a love-fest what would be the fun? And if he is MIA what's the reason to continue it?

Thank you Mya. This means I can call you a cow and you'll not feel insulted, right?
I am asking here so I will not be accused later of insulting you.

LE: seems No one understood the same thing I did :D. I am just woke up so I am a bit dizzy :D

Precisely these kinds of posts have degraded MD the most. I also presume for the next few days you'll come after me and repeatedly call me brainless and stupid (well you do it anyway) now that I've pointed it out, but its the truth and I had to say it.

Edited by DARK DEMON

What it all boils down to is whether people want the mods to be strict when it comes to unnecessary posts and words, or lenient. So far we've been somewhat lenient. I'm guessing people want us to be stricter then? Fine by me, but I wonder if it's what everyone wants. If people don't want us to be strict, then we have to hesitate a lot before we declare something as needlessly offensive.

It causes a lot less headaches, for me at least, to moderate strictly than to be somewhat lenient.

Are you an "stupid cow" too ? (it seems this is allowed)

Shitting around a big pile of bullshit will not make it less smelly.

This is what you Change and the other mods are trying to do.

Remove the damn line from Rumi's comment as I said in first report, then again in the PM exchange with you (Change) and the rest of mods,  then you can close and even remove this topic. Is it that difficult ? NOOOO, I love Rumi, he innocent, no one bull ok.

If you don't do it ... why not shit all around. In the meantime the rules start to stink.

---------------

DD, you don't know what are you talking.

First of all this is not in-game.

Second of all, legitimate reports were made with no effect.

Third, less the meaningless things have been raised to "warning" status. Most of them solved amiable with no incident.

Forth, forum modding is not supposed to be subjective. If anyone said something, whenever that is reported , even 2 years after, it has be FIXED.

Forum laws are to be applied at all time for all posts and even retroactive, not for only new ones. Especially when there are fingers pointing issues.

Fifth, I didn't asked for any punishment but the removal of those lines.

So, if the mods prefer to shit on the forum. Then why shouldn't we give them shit.

Six, this shit on forum is not a problem / headache for the mods. They are simply like it being lenient.

So, DD, I really don't enjoy this crap, but they are forcing me to do it.

I am supporting it. I pointed the issue again and again and again and I will keep on doing it.

If you enjoy having that kind of language on the forum , fine. But I don't like it. And that is why I want it removed.

Keeping old stuff untouched just because they are "old" just generates a precedence, nothing more.

(see this topic and Mur's topic "The Cow" and probably more to come)

I am sorry, I fail to find any good reason for keeping that line on the forum.

Can you or anyone tell me a good reason for keeping that line on the forum ?

Edit:

I found a good reason for that line to be on forum: it will allow us all to keep on writing similar stuff on this forum.

And you know why ? Because some mods enjoy "not doing this for No one".

So, considering that it is only a 5 minute job, you tell me why the mods don't clean it as requested.

By the way, the mods still didn't posted a valid answer as to "why they didn't /don't act".

Edited by No one

The mods all discussed this at length, as well as your messages regarding our response on the matter. From my view nothing has changed since we made that decision, so no action shall be taken.

You being who you are had no baring on our actions (at least from my end)

The mods all discussed this at length, as well as your messages regarding our response on the matter. From my view nothing has changed since we made that decision, so no action shall be taken.

You being who you are had no baring on our actions (at least from my end)

Then you'll not warn/punish me if I call you a "stupid cow" Grido?

Depends upon the context.

If the focus of your post is that the person in question is a "stupid cow" then no, it's unlikely to be allowed because it would be a purely inflammatory post. If it's as part of a larger argument, then it's more likely to be.

It's hard to make a generalisation regarding this as it'd depend on the context used, we would discuss each post as and when they came up.

• 2 weeks later...

So basically you'll apply the rules based on your subjectivity, right? Because if you need to discuss it it means you'll discuss the rule that says "no insults, etc" allowed.

How does this comply with the rules that say that mods will be objective and apply the rules you all have accepted to follow? Does this mean that for some you'll apply the rules because it MIGHT seem they wanted to insult someone (although it can be only a language barrier) and let other get away with it because <insert any other reason in here>.

I don't understand how this is an insult?

The quote clearly says "overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows."

It is a simile, one that looks quite accurate too. Cows are often considered stupid, and they often overgraze....

If the comment had been "you are a stupid cow"....or "they are stupid cows" then THAT would be an insult.

In the same respect if I said in regards to someone carrying something; "He's like a mule" it would be fine (I'm simply describing he's actions), but if I were to say "He is a mule" that would be insulting (Of course it would also require you to be implying that you considered a mule to be of a lesser being).

On another matter, unless Rumi intended it directly as an insult, it should not be taken as one. In some place cows are sacred beings, thus to be likened to one could just as easily be a compliment.

I hope this is enough a reason to drop the matter, as such a comment need not be removed.

Aquellia.

Not to prolong this, even though A cow is sacred to us hindus but i wouldnt really like being called a cow. An animal is an animal, sacred or not. Even a mouse, an elephant, a wild boar and a monkey are considered sacred in hindu culture. Doesnt mean i would like being called a wild boar or a monkey or an elephant or be associated with one. Please take this as a formal notice and refrain from calling me one unless you mean it as an insult. For if you do, I will respond with similar intentions, and it may not necessarily be an animal comparison.

PS: Dogs are sacred to egyptians too. Would anyone in MD like to be associated with the term 'Bitch'? Just as a freindly joke of course :)

Edited by Nimrodel

No not at all, in the example you gave though, to have said "your thinking like" rather than "You think like". Would change it from being an insult.

How you have said it is to imply I have only that element, whereas "your thinking like" describes something that I've done.

It also applies to the original post; The comment describes an action you have taken ("Overgrazed"). To have simply called someone a stupid cow would be very different matter.

Edited by Aquellia