Following a report to mods

No one

• Root Admin

While im not going to comment on this issue, i will point out something that appears to be regional.

In the UK, to call someone stupid, is an insult.
But to say that something they did is stupid, is not considered one.

The subtle difference, makes all the difference.

While im not going to comment on this issue, i will point out something that appears to be regional.

In the UK, to call someone stupid, is an insult.
But to say that something they did is stupid, is not considered one.

The subtle difference, makes all the difference.

Ahh Yes maybe I should have thought of that. Some very subtle things in the English language can sometimes be missed by others.

Normally it happens with sarcasm.

This is basically what I was getting at with my posts.

Thank you for mentioning that Chewett.

I think that there are simply a lot of stupid cows mowing the forum around here, not to say infertile bulls. But hey, is that my problem ?

--->  as Chewett insists, this is not a "subtle" insult

The insult is below:

READ the damn text.

I took the copy / paste from the text to help you with reading as YOU ARE LAZY .

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13740-resource-depletion-for-or-against/#entry132678

So, back to you No one. .... You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows. You have yet to produce any decent milk or meat and instead you have provided this load of infertile bull**** :P

IT IS addressed TO ME directly .

So you <add names here>, (name removed so ... no offense either)  please read the entire line. You cow-like .

Let me refraze it a bit, maybe the language doesn't help you get the subtle details that Chewett said that don't matter:

So, back to you No one. .... You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of  stupid cows you are. You have yet to produce any decent milk or meat and instead you have provided this load of , you infertile bulls :P (or if you prefer the more obvious load of infertile bullshit)

ooc; (mocking Chewet)  " neeei, I knou good inglij , i good, let tich noob 2 suear / forum."

So, take you crappy subjectivity elsewhere. There is no need. Simply remove the text from Rumi's comment or you can do as yo always did :  hide the post until the user changes it to a more acceptable form. And in Rumi's case, as he didn't logged on forum for a long time - for ever (hopefully).

It has been reported, it is according your all times rules (and on almost all forums) that if it is considered an insult it will be removed / edited. IT IS HIGHLY INSULTING TO ME and to others.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

All those  "responses" above from mods (in this topic) are just part of a lousy / dumb / stupid joke so that they can enjoy their time on the forum.

• Root Admin

--->  as Chewett insists, this is not a "subtle" insult

ooc; (mocking Chewet)  " neeei, I knou good inglij , i good, let tich noob 2 suear / forum."

So, take you crappy subjectivity elsewhere. There is no need. Simply remove the text from Rumi's comment or you can do as yo always did :  hide the post until the user changes it to a more acceptable form. And in Rumi's case, as he didn't logged on forum for a long time - for ever (hopefully).

It has been reported, it is according your all times rules (and on almost all forums) that if it is considered an insult it will be removed / edited. IT IS HIGHLY INSULTING TO ME and to others.
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

As i said above >>>While im not going to comment on this issue, i will point out something that appears to be regional.

Im not commenting anything relating to these discussions, im just pointing out something which i think Aquellia was mentioning, which may not exist in america and other places. (British) English is an odd language, and if you are going to argue some point, you really want to include reasoning in case its a regional thing. Same as Nim pointing out cows being sacred.

As for the insults, thanks no one.

And im still dont make any claims of the issue, i havent re-read it nor do i remember it nor do am i well enough to try.

"IT IS addressed TO ME directly ."

Yes, although it is addressed to you directly it follows by saying that you "have overgrazed..." referring to an action you have taken. The comment of stupid cows refers to this action, not yourself.

As in:

"The thing you have done is like what a stupid cow would do"

not:

"like a heard of stupid cows you are"

"yet to produce any decent milk or meat" is simply stating that Rumi does not think you have produced anything worthwhile. The later part "instead you have provided this load of infertile bull****" is referring to something you have produced which Rumi thinks is bullshit.

None of which is insult. None of it says that you are anything. All of it it does though refer to something you either have or haven't done.

I continue this only because I feel that the language used has been misinterpreted and I wish to enlighten you of other potential meanings from it.

I would kindly ask the you refrain from being rude (for lack of a better word) towards chewett for being informative.

The need for you to rephrase the comment alone is enough to suggest that there is a good chance you may have misinterpreted it.

Apologies for the poor quotation and format, I do not know how to use it.

Thank you Chewett for your interest in the matter ...

And im still dont make any claims of the issue, i havent re-read it nor do i remember it nor do am i well enough to try.

but I know it is not your job, you are just a "Root Admin", not a Moderator.

I am sorry that you or others felt insulted, I was also just "pointing out something that appears to be regional".

Anyway, my problem still stands. I DEMAND retribution for the insult i keep mentioning it.

-----------------------------

Edit: Reply for Aquellia:

By using these below 2 lines, you agree with me.

I continue this only because I feel that the language used has been misinterpreted and I wish to enlighten you of other potential meanings from it.

The need for you to rephrase the comment alone is enough to suggest that there is a good chance you may have misinterpreted it.

The only thing that you contradict yourself is that YOU ARE allowed to interpret (as not being insulting) and I AM NOT.

Also, you missed Chewett reference about "regionalism". THIS is INSULTING me. Simple as that. There is no need for anyone's else interpretation.

I am right in my "region" and you have no right to contradict me about my "regionalism".

I would kindly ask the you refrain from being rude (for lack of a better word) towards chewett for being informative.

Did it ever occurred to you that everyone responding on this topic to tell me that I am wrong are actually insulting me ?

And I didn't actually insulted anyone (yet) in this topic. I only make some points to understand moderators' point on this matter.

You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows. 

Accurate, relevant metaphor for resource depletion.  Why Rumi singles out No One and refers to other depleters as "your companions" is beyond me, since the simpler alternative is to say "Depleters have overgrazed...". That is, unless it's a set-up for what follows.

Continuing.

You

This clause should not be separated from the previous one, as doing so creates ambiguity regarding the antecedent, unless the intention is to create an undertoned meaning that the sentence is directed specifically at No One.

have yet to produce any decent milk or meat

also garners support from the lack of any in-game comparative to "milk or meat" -- thus it cannot be just an extended metaphor for No One's action, it is a metaphor for No One.  (Unless Rumi is saying that No One's company doesn't make tea and cake and that they should make more tea and cake, in which case I utterly agree.)

EDIT:  Because I suck at using quote tags

Edited by Ackshan Bemunah

I have not said that you are not entitled to your interpretation "I wish to enlighten you of other potential meanings from it."

"I would kindly ask the you refrain from being rude (for lack of a better word) towards chewett for being informative."

you responded with

"I am sorry that you or others felt insulted, I was also just "pointing out something that appears to be regional"."

That is enough. You clarified to you meant no insult by it. I have no more quarrel with that.

Referring to my first post "I don't understand how this is an insult?"

I have simply stated how in my learning of the English language I have interpreted the comment. I checked Rumi's location and as it is US I would expect his to have been very similar.

I think you have misinterpreted the regionalism, the Importance should lay in the region of the person who said the comment. It should be as they intended it to be. Your region may interpret it otherwise, and you have clearly taken offense to it. I am attempting to clarify it's meaning so that despite what region you may come from you can read the comment as it was intended.

Of course the only way to know how it was intended is to ask Rumi, but with his absence it should be taken as the language depicts.

"Did it ever occurred to you that everyone responding on this topic to tell me that I am wrong are actually insulting me ?"

No. It did not, It also still has not, and I personally have not told you; you are wrong. I am not going to look to see if anyone else has, but if they have then it is to you, to bring up such matters with them. I'm sure they didn't intend it as an insult if they did do so either.

No not at all, in the example you gave though, to have said "your thinking like" rather than "You think like". Would change it from being an insult.

How you have said it is to imply I have only that element, whereas "your thinking like" describes something that I've done.

It also applies to the original post; The comment describes an action you have taken ("Overgrazed"). To have simply called someone a stupid cow would be very different matter.

Wait. If I am comparing an action it's not an insult but if I am comparing a person it is?

What's the difference between: "your thinking like that of a child that has been tossed in the air 10 times and caught only 1" and "you think like a child..." ?

You mean the first one is NOT an insult while the second one is?

Yes dst that is what I mean. If someone did something and you said it was a stupid thing to do that is not an insult, but if someone did something and you said that they are stupid that is an insult.

Technically you would still be insulting the thing that they did... but until that thing they did comes and complains about it I don't think it's relevant.

The difference is insulting the action or insulting the person.

A good example would be "Your thinking narrow mindedly" (not an insult) and "you think narrow mindedly" (an insult)

Do not take this exclusively though. You can word things so as to imply the insult anyway, or use tone or actions to do so. The most common example would be insulting someone with sarcasm.

Ackshan Bemunah

"Have yet to produce any meat or milk"

This is an expression, one I've heard used often in its context. It points out a lack of valued produce. An in game comparison would be the actions, or lack of actions.

"You" is not specified to be singular or plural, both aspects can be taken (referring to No one, or referring to him and companions.)
It may or may not be directed specifically at No One. (Just to ensure both possibilities are made aware)

Edited by Aquellia

@Aquellia:

So, actually all you say is that if I say that "the kid that fell 9 time on his head" and is coma ever since is smarter then you ... then it is not an insult ?

Who are you ? What are you ? What's your problem ?

Forget that I asked. Just go away freak / your are freaking me out. (you do notice the difference in wording ? but the meaning is the same)

Stay out of my topic.

@Aquellia:

So, actually all you say is that if I say that "the kid that fell 9 time on his head" and is coma ever since is smarter then you ... then it is not an insult ?

Forget that I asked. Just go away freak / your are freaking me out. (you do notice the difference in wording ? but the meaning is the same)

Stay out of my topic.

You have demonstrated the art of saying the same thing with different words.

There is also an art to saying different things with the same words http://esl.about.com/cs/pronunciation/a/a_wordstress.htm

to say that someone who fell on their head 9 times and is in a coma is smarter than me is an insult, to say that I thinking like them is not.

It's the difference of saying someone had a stupid thought, and saying someone was stupid.

I will leave now, goodbye.

Edited by Aquellia

to say that someone who fell on their head 9 times and is in a coma is smarter than me is an insult, to say that I thinking like them is not.

It's the difference of saying someone had a stupid thought, and saying someone was stupid.

That's the biggest BS I have ever read. An insult is an insult. I feel insulted if you say that I think like a dumb kid or if I am a dumb kid. F*** I even have issue realizing what the difference between those 2 is. And I WILL DEFO not spend time writing my ideas in such a way so that I will insult the action and not the person simply because you all believe the insulting a person is...insulting while insulting an action that person did is NOT an insult.

To summarize: your thinking is like a diaper: FULL OF <brown smelly thing>. Is this an insult? Please enlighten me because I am sure that it is not.

Edited by dst

[spoiler]

@Aquellia:

Stay out of my topic.

[/spoiler]

Sorry No one, my rage compels me to reply to them, so please don't feel to angry at them for replying again if they do (as it will be my fault)

[spoiler]

"IT IS addressed TO ME directly ."

Yes, although it is addressed to you directly it follows by saying that you "have overgrazed..." referring to an action you have taken. The comment of stupid cows refers to this action, not yourself.

As in:

"The thing you have done is like what a stupid cow would do"

not:

"like a heard of stupid cows you are"

"yet to produce any decent milk or meat" is simply stating that Rumi does not think you have produced anything worthwhile. The later part "instead you have provided this load of infertile bull****" is referring to something you have produced which Rumi thinks is bullshit.

None of which is insult. None of it says that you are anything. All of it it does though refer to something you either have or haven't done.

Apologies for the poor quotation and format, I do not know how to use it.

[/spoiler]

For one who seems to think changing one word changes the whole meaning (which, admittedly, CAN be true), you fail to notice the markers that invalidate your argument.

To begin with, lets look at the ENTIRE quote (which is three paragraphs long)

[spoiler]

In pasture or prairie management, growth is checked through the use of grazing animals. Managed rotational grazing of cattle herds mimics the natural herd migrations such as the wildebeest heed in Africa and the buffalo herds once found in North America. These animals move in established migration patterns which allow full growth of pasture grasses, followed by regulation of biomass through consumption. Fields where grazing herds are not present present fire a fire danger, and often lose mature ecological elements as other ecologies move into the space.

The overuse of cattle on a pasture, or overgrazing, which is very common on farms and ranches across the world occurs when their it's no migration pattern. Pasture animals easily destroy the field ecology, leaving a bare stubble of growth. Without strong root systems, compaction occurs under the weight of the animals and the soil structure is destroyed. Regeneration of these fields can take years in the best of conditions, and decades or centuries in areas prone to desertification.

So, back

to you No one. The constant depletion of resources is in no way like the benefits of fire. Appropriate management would be allowing full regrowth after each depletion or daily "pruning" of resources from full down to the percentage that provides full regrowth each day. These are two ways that maximize harvest and mimic the general process of nature. Since the day the first herb basket was available, the Meeting of the Roads scene has not once, NOT ONCE, had 18/18 herbs. You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows. You have yet to produce any decent milk or meat and instead you have provided this load of infertile bull**** :P

[/spoiler]

We have an analysis of farming techniques, talking about their pro's and cons. We then have a paragraph, explicitly aimed at No one (stating as such) that presents an analogy saying he is doing exactly everything negative about the presented process.

Lets analyze just the last paragraph here.

[spoiler]

So, back

to you No one. The constant depletion of resources is in no way like the benefits of fire. Appropriate management would be allowing full regrowth after each depletion or daily "pruning" of resources from full down to the percentage that provides full regrowth each day. These are two ways that maximize harvest and mimic the general process of nature. Since the day the first herb basket was available, the Meeting of the Roads scene has not once, NOT ONCE, had 18/18 herbs. You and your companions have overgrazed it like a herd of stupid cows. You have yet to produce any decent milk or meat and instead you have provided this load of infertile bull**** :P

[/spoiler]

What we have now is a statement that says "This is what you do". Not "are doing" or "have done", but an absolute "do". By your own argument, this would qualify it as an insult.

This paragraph is aimed explicitly at No one. It explicitly calls him a stupid cow (the argument of simile does not hold up here, given the context of having just discussed the impacts a "stupid Cow" can have is allowed to overgraze) and thus associates all the negative consequences they have just outlined with him. It re-inforces this by saying that they have produced nothing of benefit (milk and meat are the primary positive benefits of agricultural farming of cows) and only produced waste.

And now, to analyze just the last two words.

[spoiler]

infertile bull**** :P

[/spoiler]

Now, It might seem tempting to argue that Dung can be considered a positive product. However, Rumi has stated that it is Infertile dung, not just dung. Fertility usualy refers to an ability to procreate, so it seems oddly out of place here, yes?

Incorrect. What he is saying is that the only potential thing that his actions as a "stupid cow" that could mitigate his actions, ie refertilizing the area, is in fact not a benefit but a further pollutant.

Manure is used to add nutrients to the soil that plants might grow. However, it is possible (typically through illness) for manure to contain a buildup of toxins instead of nutrients that actually harm the soil and stymie plant growth.

What Rumi, who has already expressed a great deal of farming knowledge just in his post, not to mention his role, is saying, is a very educated insult.

Every single point of those last three sentences is an insult. While I have inside knowledge on some of the terms he has used having grown up on a farm, even without that it is easy to see the insult intended in those words.

There are a hell of a lot more things I could say here, but I doubt anything properly constructive to the argument as my rage has already made it hard to type without just yelling at you, so I will leave it there.

EDIT: edited to make less wall of texty.

EDIT: edited to remove several insults.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

I cannot argue with your points they are sound, I stand corrected. I accept your analysis.

In particular the "What we have now is a statement that says "This is what you do". Not "are doing" or "have done", but an absolute "do". By your own argument, this would qualify it as an insult." which meets my (presumably) insane concept of insulting.

Also I don't take insanity to be an insult in anyway regardless of weather it is intended.

(I also knew how infertile fit in, but thanks for clarifying it anyways)

Aquellia

(I will again leave, apologies for my mistake)(I still hold to my 'insane' insult concept though)

Also I don't take insanity to be an insult in anyway regardless of weather it is intended.

Aquellia

(I will again leave, apologies for my mistake)(I still hold to my 'insane' insult concept though)

In all honesty, nor do I. In fact, we are more inclined to use insane as a compliment. After all, would you feel more insulted if I called you Insane (operating outside the normal expectations of society, pushing the boundaries of what is possible) or Normal (not standing out, not really contributing to progress, just reinforcing the current status of society)?

That said, an insult is not truthfully derived from either its wording or its interpretation. An insult is an insult based on intent alone. (I consider unintentional insults to be misunderstandings/miscommunications, rather than insults)

Edited by Kyphis the Bard