Real Life Scavanger Hunt

BFH

Title:

Real Life Scavenger Hunt

Description:

This quest consist in hunting/seeking in either your home or the homes of your neighboors, friends or family for the items listed below, using your creativity and taking pictures of your findings.

Instructions:

Search in either your home or the homes of your neighboors, friends or family for the items listed below. Each item is worth a secret amounts of points value. We do not expect for you to complete the list, that means that you can submit your entry with any amount of items you have. At the end of the submission process the one with the most points wins.

For each item you will firstly put a tag with MD letters in front and then you will take a picture from two different angles. Once you have all the pictures upload them to an online service, such as picasa, make an online album with the pictures and their respective ID and send me a link to the album.

For items like snow, which you can't easily find in many countries, you can get creative and take a picture of cotton as replacement of it. This quest is a matter of creativity, hence if you can't find something you can recreate it with things you have at home.

Prizes:

First Place will get 10 points to compete for Champion Quester Prize and will get a nice reward.

As your host I might consider rewarding other places aside of the first place.

Point Worth Value of the Quest:

Winner will get 10 points to compete for Champion Quester prize. See Sponsors for more details.

Sponsors:

This quest is an original idea of your beloved council. I was chosen as your host, but they will sponsor the rewards. [Since I'm your host I get to poke them about good rewards worth the effort ;)]

Ann. 2856 - [2013-12-20 01:54:00 - Stage 12] Posted By Council
The Magic Duel Christmas Holidays has officially started!
This year, each quest participant (and we plan to have many quests) will receive a number of points based on their performance.
In the end, the player with most points will receive the title of Champion Quester and will get an extra reward.
So sharpen you mind, clear your eyes, flex your hands and Let the Festivities Begin!

Deadline:

January 15, 2014  -  23:59 server time.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• NO PHOTOSHOP OR EQUIVALENT ALLOWED
  • Make sure to send me a SINGLE link with the album. I wont accept 100 links with different pics.
  • NO ALTS ALLOWED
  • You can't repeat items. You need a unique item for each ID. For example if you have a Rudolph decoration [ID 3] you can't use the same figure it to fit the Reindeers Item [ID 37]

List of Items:

1. Xmas Tree
  2. Xmas Star
  3. Rudolph
  4. Elf or Elves
  5. Santa
  6. Snowman
  7. Snow
  8. Xmas Cup
  9. Xmas Bells
  10. Xmas Lights
  11. Xmas Cane
  12. Xmas Gift Box
  13. Xmas Carousel
  14. Xmas Cookies
  15. Xmas Stocking
  16. Xmas Hat
  17. Xmas Penguin
  18. Xmas Sled
  19. Xmas Gifts
  20. Xmas Polar Bear
  21. Chimney
  22. Xmas Doll
  23. Xmas Balls (Ornaments)
  24. Xmas Grinch
  25. Xmas Ghost
  26. Merry Xmas (or equivalent aka Merry Xmas) sign
  27. Ho ho ho! sign
  28. Snowflake
  29. Xmas Angel Figure
  30. Xmas Gnome
  31. Xmas Book
  32. Xmas Snow globe
  33. Xmas Nutcrackers
  34. Red Ribbon
  35. Xmas Candles
  36. Xmas Boot
  37. Reindeers (not Rudolph the red nose one :P)
  38. Welcome Xmas sign
  39. A pet dressed with something xmas related
  40. Xmas Card
  41. Xmas Cupcakes
  42. Xmas lights
  43. Xmas figures
  44. Pinecones
  45. Xmas outfit
  46. Xmas Balloon
  47. Xmas decorated Car, Bike, any method of transportation
  48. Xmas wreath
  49. Xmas Flowers
  50. Xmas Doormat

Have questions? Ask away!

LET THE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGIN!!

Edited by BFH

Title:

Real Life Scavenger Hunt

Description:

This quest consist in hunting/seeking in either your home or the homes of your neighboors, friends or family for the items listed below, using your creativity and taking pictures of your findings.

Instructions:

Search in either your home or the homes of your neighboors, friends or family for the items listed below. Each item is worth a secret amounts of points value. We do not expect for you to complete the list, that means that you can submit your entry with any amount of items you have. At the end of the submission process the one with the most points wins.

For each item you will firstly put a tag with MD letters in front and then you will take a picture from two different angles. Once you have all the pictures upload them to an online service, such as picasa, make an online album with the pictures and their respective ID and send me a link to the album.

For items like snow, which you can't easily find in many countries, you can get creative and take a picture of cotton as replacement of it. This quest is a matter of creativity, hence if you can't find something you can recreate it with things you have at home.

Prizes:

First Place will get 10 points to compete for Champion Quester Prize and will get a nice reward.

As your host I might consider rewarding other places aside of the first place.

Point Worth Value of the Quest:

Winner will get 10 points to compete for Champion Quester prize. See Sponsors for more details.

Sponsors:

This quest is an original idea of your beloved council. I was chosen as your host, but they will sponsor the rewards. [Since I'm your host I get to poke them about good rewards worth the effort ;)]

Deadline:

January 15, 2014  -  23:59 server time.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Make sure to send me a SINGLE link with the album. I wont accept 100 links with different pics.
  • NO ALTS ALLOWED
  • You can't repeat items. You need a unique item for each ID. For example if you have a Rudolph decoration [ID 3] you can't use the same figure it to fit the Reindeers Item [ID 37]

List of Items:

1. Xmas Tree
  2. Xmas Star
  3. Rudolph
  4. Elf or Elves
  5. Santa
  6. Snowman
  7. Snow
  8. Xmas Cup
  9. Xmas Bells
  10. Xmas Lights
  11. Xmas Cane
  12. Xmas Gift Box
  13. Xmas Carousel
  14. Xmas Cookies
  15. Xmas Stocking
  16. Xmas Hat
  17. Xmas Penguin
  18. Xmas Sled
  19. Xmas Gifts
  20. Xmas Polar Bear
  21. Chimney
  22. Xmas Doll
  24. Xmas Grinch
  25. Xmas Ghost
  26. Merry Xmas (or equivalent aka Merry Xmas) sign
  27. Ho ho ho! sign
  28. Snowflake
  29. Xmas Angel Figure
  30. Xmas Gnome
  31. Xmas Book
  32. Xmas Snow globe
  33. Xmas Nutcrackers
  34. Red Ribbon
  35. Xmas Candles
  36. Xmas Boot
  37. Reindeers (not Rudolph the red nose one :P)
  38. Welcome Xmas sign
  39. A pet dressed with something xmas related
  40. Xmas Card
  41. Xmas Cupcakes
  42. Xmas lights
  43. Xmas figures
  44. Pinecones
  45. Xmas outfit
  46. Xmas Balloon
  47. Xmas decorated Car, Bike, any method of transportation
  48. Xmas wreath
  49. Xmas Flowers
  50. Xmas Doormat

LET THE SCAVANGER HUNT BEGIN!!

umm

in a country like india.. we dont get all those items unless we go to a christian dominated state/ each of which it more than 12 hours by train.. guess thats a major drawback huh?

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• NO ALTS ALLOWED

List of Items:

1. Xmas Tree
  2. Xmas Star
  5. Santa
  9. Xmas Bells
  10. Xmas Lights
  11. Xmas Cane
  12. Xmas Gift Box
  19. Xmas Gifts
  34. Red Ribbon
  42. Xmas lights
  43. Xmas figures
  44. Pinecones

LET THE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGIN!!

Ok, I only left in the items I believed would be found on a tree. My question being: If any of the items I left in ranging from 2 to 50 are in the picture of the tree (no. 1), am I to understand they can't be reused? :P

• Root Admin

umm

in a country like india.. we dont get all those items unless we go to a christian dominated state/ each of which it more than 12 hours by train.. guess thats a major drawback huh?

To quote the post:

I agree with Nim. Seems appropriate that next year we would include Items to be found around the world and from different cultures.  Or better still... that we create our own MD based Holiday around the winter solstice.... and celebrate that instead.  I mean if we are going to celebrate a made-up Holiday...might as well make-up our own. 

To quote the post:

How many can you make Chewett? 1? 2? 3? 10? 20? Dont you think its unfair that stuff that people get to take pictures of by going to a one small gift shop in 1 country, or at a christmas tree they put at home, i have to sit and make by buying stuff? Its not even 1 or two. 35 or more items... Thats outrageous.

• Root Admin

How many can you make Chewett? 1? 2? 3? 10? 20? Dont you think its unfair that stuff that people get to take pictures of by going to a one small gift shop in 1 country, or at a christmas tree they put at home, i have to sit and make by buying stuff? Its not even 1 or two. 35 or more items... Thats outrageous.

I dont know, i havent looked at the list closely nor will i be participating. I would hope that making a couple objects will be much more valued than taking a picture of 20 ones they have around the house. I would enquire further if i were you, otherwise it would indeed be unfair. I cant imagine council/BFH would run a quest purely for people who celebrate christmas although the list of items does seem specifically christian oriented. I will talk to BFH about said list.

Nimmy, I celebrate Christmas but I don't have half of those :D. Nor do I think I will get many of them...

But thats your choice. If i had access, i would go and take pictures from the shops. The problem is I don't even have access. Christians here arent really particular bout trees. Many of them dont even know who rudolf is. Hence you don't get those items in the shops either... Hell we dont even get christmas cupcakes or cookies. Only date and walnut cakes and plum cakes weighing 1kg or more. And i dont have an oven or the mold (we do majority of cooking on LPG Like 95%)... The cultural difference is huge... I'll try to run around for the pictures, but i don't think i can get more than 5 or 6. Thats a big disadvantage. Edited by Nimrodel

Wow you start the chaos while I am offline.

Here we go

umm

Nim, when I made the list, I strongly encouraged myself to remove any objects that I considered directly related to religion. You mention christian dominated state, yet you do not see there a figure of Jesus, neither the kings, etc.

Moreover,  I clearly said:

We do not expect for you to complete the list, that means that you can submit your entry with any amount of items you have

Consider this, I'm not a social scientists, neither know about all the cultures around the globe I tried to remove religion out of it, as I knew that's controversial.

I wont quote all your comments but this should reply to all including blacktorns one.

You can't expect to have a list of 50 items with stuff that will be available on all countries... It is impossible. Yet you all know that Xmas in MD is represented by a Santa, that Santa, have reindeeres, that the red nosed one is Rudolph, that xmas is "cold" and it snows in MD, we have a TREE in the middle of GoE, etc. Then people seriously you can't expect me to remove those items because they are biased or americanized as it is how we celebrate the tradition in MD. 

I gave an alternative to you guys a very good alternative:

I dont think anyone have the 50 items. The idea is for you to HUNT, to get out of home and visit your family and friends, share with them a little, and take pics of objects they have that you dont and might help you to complete the list. There's plenty time almost 27 days to complete the list

Finally lets not be unfair with me and tell me I'm biased when MD Xmas is celebrated like that.

Ok, I only left in the items I believed would be found on a tree. My question being: If any of the items I left in ranging from 2 to 50 are in the picture of the tree (no. 1), am I to understand they can't be reused? :P

Read:

You can't repeat items. You need a unique item for each ID. For example if you have a Rudolph decoration [ID 3] you can't use the same figure it to fit the Reindeers Item [ID 37]

even if it's xmas good bunch of those items are tied to american xmas, so um yeah... creativity will be needed to improvise good bunch of this

edit: number 10 and number 42 are same. is that a mistake or do we need to do it twice? :D

I will count both as the same. Ignore. My bad.

Wow you start the chaos while I am offline.

Here we go

Nim, when I made the list, I strongly encouraged myself to remove any objects that I considered directly related to religion. You mention christian dominated state, yet you do not see there a figure of Jesus, neither the kings, etc.

Moreover, I clearly said:

Consider this, I'm not a social scientists, neither know about all the cultures around the globe I tried to remove religion out of it, as I knew that's controversial.

I wont quote all your comments but this should reply to all including blacktorns one.

You can't expect to have a list of 50 items with stuff that will be available on all countries... It is impossible. Yet you all know that Xmas in MD is represented by a Santa, that Santa, have reindeeres, that the red nosed one is Rudolph, that xmas is "cold" and it snows in MD, we have a TREE in the middle of GoE, etc. Then people seriously you can't expect me to remove those items because they are biased or americanized as it is how we celebrate the tradition in MD.

I gave an alternative to you guys a very good alternative:

I dont think anyone have the 50 items. The idea is for you to HUNT, to get out of home and visit your family and friends, share with them a little, and take pics of objects they have that you dont and might help you to complete the list. There's plenty time almost 27 days to complete the list

Finally lets not be unfair with me and tell me I'm biased when MD Xmas is celebrated like that.

You dont get it... Its not bout jesus and such. It's bout the symbology and the culture. Ask me to get pics of items related to diwali or dusshera, i can get you a hundred. Can you get me pics of oil lamps and ladoos and bhuchakkars? They are not religious items. They are oil lamps, sweets and firecrackers of a particular type. Anyway. Not arguing anymore. I just stated a major disadvantage i have, a major flaw in the quest itself. I need to get maximum number of items to win 10 points. And if i am handicapped because of my culture, so be it.

yes I agree with Nim, cultural difference is huge for some, and as dst pointed out even in countries where xmas is celebrated you will get it celebrated in different way, in here you would find more religious things about it while in america more commercialized stuff, which mainly makes up that list. For example American could find all of those items if he really goes to visit people as you said. European could visit the shop and take picts and get good bunch of those. Indian has to make up almost everything, so yes a lot more effort to put in as well as time and maybe money. Your alternative is okay work around but it trouble's me because even if we overlook that extra effort put in making things or improvising them, how do they get graded? I take it that since this is scavanger hunt point is to find real item rather than improvise it, so real item would carry more points in my mind, no? this makes disadvantage even bigger.

Yet you all know that Xmas in MD is represented by a Santa, that Santa, have reindeeres, that the red nosed one is Rudolph, that xmas is "cold" and it snows in MD, we have a TREE in the middle of GoE, etc. Then people seriously you can't expect me to remove those items because they are biased or americanized as it is how we celebrate the tradition in MD.

I wonder what would player from islamic country say to all this (do we have one). I wonder what he would thing about the idea of finding xmas tree or improvising it. While people in western world even if not christian could just go to town square and poof tree is there.

Also I don't like it that we are jumping on fairness of quest, but the main reason why it is such a big fuss suddenly is because people want that special reward want that first place and those 10 points for that nice title, since this is first quest mentioned that gives it out. To even out the fairness I would suggest that some additional points are given for those people who are in bad situation for such a quest but still do effort for it.

yes I agree with Nim, cultural difference is huge for some, and as dst pointed out even in countries where xmas is celebrated you will get it celebrated in different way, in here you would find more religious things about it while in america more commercialized stuff, which mainly makes up that list. For example American could find all of those items if he really goes to visit people as you said. European could visit the shop and take picts and get good bunch of those. Indian has to make up almost everything, so yes a lot more effort to put in as well as time and maybe money. Your alternative is okay work around but it trouble's me because even if we overlook that extra effort put in making things or improvising them, how do they get graded? I take it that since this is scavanger hunt point is to find real item rather than improvise it, so real item would carry more points in my mind, no? this makes disadvantage even bigger.

I wonder what would player from islamic country say to all this (do we have one). I wonder what he would thing about the idea of finding xmas tree or improvising it. While people in western world even if not christian could just go to town square and poof tree is there.

Also I don't like it that we are jumping on fairness of quest, but the main reason why it is such a big fuss suddenly is because people want that special reward want that first place and those 10 points for that nice title, since this is first quest mentioned that gives it out. To even out the fairness I would suggest that some additional points are given for those people who are in bad situation for such a quest but still do effort for it.

I already discussed this personally with Nim.

From now on I dont accept on this topic any other complains regarding cultural differences or dissadvantages or whatever. Speak to me in chat if you want to discuss things. Here it is pointless and we will have a bloodbath as I have many arguments and you will have many. If you feel capable of designing a list with 50 items that fit xmas for people of 90 active countries and the hundreds of cultures that play MD then do so and send them to me. They shall be considered for a future Xmas.

There are countries that do not celebrate xmas, yes they have a dissadvantage, yet you can;t remove the fact, that MD celebrates it. If you dont agree with the quest simply do not participate.

Simply and put in few words. With a festivity like Xmas or Halloween, etc, it is IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy the beliefts and cultures of everyone. That's life. Differences are keys behind our humanity, we can't simply change that.

• Root Admin

I must add this is a very smart and interesting sort of quest to do :) Cultural differences are unavoidable sadly...but why not to seek for equivalances and accept those? (ignore me if i am not making much sense). BFH please contact me about any sort of sponsorship you might require..i might have ideas about possible rewards that exceed the normal kind of rewards :) 

Cultural differences are unavoidable sadly...but why not to seek for equivalances and accept those? (ignore me if i am not making much sense).

Council and me left them with that possibility open. Instead of me telling go find something specific as an alternate item I told them to use their creativity. That leaves them with a huge range of possibilities :P

• 4 weeks later...