metrology of activity

Ackshan Bemunah

No, It [the Murmas Tree] has always been open to anyone but normally gave gifts to those that had done a lot for MD and didnt get anything good from the tree. E.g. Grido got a Scout or something from the tree and was gifted an additional gift from Santa. It is planned to largely remove the random element which can lead to those who are very active getting poor creatures this year.

What is activity?  What metrics do we / can we find of it?

AB

• Root Admin

The tree does no alt detection, to allow false alts and actively played alts to get rewards as well. Santa does manually check for alts, I believe (at least he did so last year, not sure about this year.)

Correct, They used the new wookiechecker in part.

What is activity?  What metrics do we / can we find of it?

AB

People made a lot of guesses one christmas, most were wrong.

Its lots of numbers, plus too much random. Next year it will be much less random. Im also adding a load of metrics into the game.

• Root Admin

I know it's what you look for, Chewett, but this wasn't a question really of what's going to actually happen, more looking for theory.

I was thinking earlier that name recognition might be a good indicator for one half of activity, but the other half is hard.

Its very hard to define, The council members do a shedload more work for MD than prettymuch anyone else but its fashionable to dislike them and no one see's what they do. They are more active than anyone, but who knows?

• Root Admin

Right...Does council make use of any in-game or MD staff-controlled interface (i.e. one into which a metric could be installed)?

Notable is that anyone with a hand on the code or coders is obviously quite active.

The majority of their work is organisation and such. So no.

• Root Admin

How does "no" follow from that?

(A separate question is what kind of activity does the tree need to acknowledge vs. what should just stand as its own reward...hm.)

Most of their work revolves around emails being pushed back and forth, monies being moved, people being contacted. None of which i will be adding stuff to monitor them.

Most of their work revolves around emails being pushed back and forth, monies being moved, people being contacted. None of which i will be adding stuff to monitor them.

MD email logins from separate IPs tracked separately...

You're right, that's creepy. :)

Perhaps ideally, what would be defined as the "activity" here would be the time spent between reading an email or clicking "compose" until hitting "send" on a reply, specifically the time in which MD-related (or sociology related/economy related/ psychology related / experiential reality related?  The middle ground is thick and grey) windows are active.  Time spent AFK is immeasurable and probably the most important part of any MD player's activity...

Metrics that wouldn't work, especially if known, include:

a. number emails sent

b. number emails read

c. character count in sent emails

d. character count in read emails

e. logins to email

(all of these would involve cookie checking or something again to see which person's logged into MD, I guess...I don't know if there are internal emails councilmember1@magicduel.com, councilmember2@ etc. but am under the impression that that would cause problems since their identities are protected from each other)

• Root Admin

While that would be an interesting idea MD provides POP and IMAP access to emails which mean this cant be tracked.

Furthermore, the time spent trying to implement such a tracking framework would be too expensive since we only have few coders.

And again, im starting to think this is degrading into trolling ack... :(

I know it's what you look for, Chewett, but this wasn't a question really of what's going to actually happen, more looking for theory.

While that would be an interesting idea MD provides POP and IMAP access to emails which mean this cant be tracked.

Furthermore, the time spent trying to implement such a tracking framework would be too expensive since we only have few coders.

Seeking raw material for a conceptual development.  You agree with the measures of council members' activity, though, that it's time spent thinking about planning or the time spent on (in hebrew) חשב, developing a thought, and אמר, overcoming the resistance to making it possible to discuss it?

I think there might be other general categories of activity, especially דבר...then again, that one is almost trivial to measure...no need for cleverness