Favors and such

Muratus del Mur

About the "end content": What do you mean by this "end content" ? Who can add such content ?

[spoiler]

2) And what percentage of the responses in the "I want your opinion regarding my behavior/ideas" threads have been taken constructively without any grudges or getting hurt?

Me? Almost 100%.

:))))))))))))) [/spoiler] ))))))))

About the "end content": What do you mean by this "end content" ? Who can add such content ?

He's using that phrase as an analogy, not suggesting adding actual "end content" (correct me if I'm wrong please Azrafar)

Rophs, I think people know that they should make the content, but not many are willing to.

This is because there are two kinds of people and two kind of decision that can be made.

There are people who are capable to make (good) quests and those who are not capable. (capability isn't related to skill, but also "social status" and other factors)

Then one can decide if he wants to take the effort to make a quest or not to.

the mix of these gives the following results:

1) People who are capable decide to put effort into making quests.

2) People who are not capable decide to put effort into making quests.

3) People who are capable decide they won't try to make quests.

4) People who are not capable decide they won't try to make quests.

The 1st option is prefered, though there are always people that belong to the 4th category (no problem with that, I consider my self to fall in that category too. I am bad at organising events in general, so I prefer not to do it ).

The goal should be to move people from the 3rd category to the 1st, and filter out (and solve the problem, rehabilitate) the ones from the 2nd .

I think there should be a more strict procedure on how one can get help for a quest. Like Council first. They may go to Mur if necessary, but mainly recruiting the needed help. A more strict "chain of command" if you will. This way the issues that get to Mur may be cleared of accusations (like begging).

(Again, these are just suggestions and the way I see it after reading up on things here in the forum. Since I don't have time to read all the comments from the past years, I apologise if I suggested something that you already tried or discussed.)

He's using that phrase as an analogy, not suggesting adding actual "end content" (correct me if I'm wrong please Azrafar)

Ailith, I think every multiplayer/online game has end content. I encountered this term in gaming. It is the last stage of the game. For you veterans I guess it is the quest you make for each other.

For newbies there is the implemented content (from mp3 to mp5, Loreroot guard, some puzzles...), exploration to get through. Once you feel that the game is geting boring that is the end game. When there is nothing new. ---> End games have end content, some are more some are less interesting.

I don't know how to phrase it better. Just look at other games and what is their end game/content, and look at MD and try to determine what the end game is in MD.

Since this is a social, RP game, the "end content" is the player made quests. Of course these quests can be accesed by new players too, but that is the unique structure of this game (players constantly create new content for each other).

The problem might be that for veterans the new content might not come quick enough (since they explored everything, done all static quests etc.). 

Also under content I mean things like implemented quests, but also player to player interaction(RP) is also a content. A rule of online/multiplayer games is that players are content for other players. (In a multiplayer shooter players are targets/teammates for each other, like the AI characters are in single player). 

Uhh, I got tangled up in writing all this down, I hope it makes ense. I need to improve my reasoning skill...

Edited by Azrafar

I agree with you 100% Azrafar, and I understood exactly what you meant by "end of game content" in the the context of your original message. 

I had a 2/3 year break from MD after a few years of a ridiculous amount of activity and work. I stopped because I burnt out. Not in the way that you meant in your post but in the way that I just got so sick of seeing people, good friends, ripping each other apart for what? Shinies.. personal grudges, adolescent slander wars on YIM. The people around me became obsessed with power.

Now I have returned and there are many people that both I remember and are new to me and I am in game talking to and having a great time with them. Certain people have inspired me to pick up my MD research and start planning some events like I used to, and I am genuinely happy.

If you see me posting on the forum, it's because I'm trying to show certain things which I think are useful for people to be reminded of. The only improvement MD needs is not through meetings or threads. It's in you and others new to the realm, and a couple of other things, but I'll keep those to myself.

I look forward to speaking to you again in game.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Guest

• Root Admin

in a way, this is what i plan with A25 project, a mechanism that will change the start but also provide a way for certain (trusted questmakers) players to add permanent interactive quests. I am aware of the "end content" issue...

I need to say that despite how it might look like, i have little knowledge of how other games or communities solve similar issues, i prefer to find my own solutions...and this "end content" situation you are describing is something that i discovered on the way, unprepared for it. I am confident that i have a solution for it.. it will come with A25 as i said...and i guess it will probably be the only solution a game of this type could find. 

It is something i dreamed of when starting MD, a world that will be expanded by its inhabitants. So far md world was just populated and kept alive by you, but no quests are permanent and most of the content people create, die with them. A25 is aimed to add a new dimension to everything and to put some motion in md , in a way that will still keep everything accessible to everyone, ..just incredibly deep.

• Root Admin

in a way, this is what i plan with A25 project, a mechanism that will change the start but also provide a way for certain (trusted questmakers) players to add permanent interactive quests. I am aware of the "end content" issue...

Dear Mur, You promised a discussion about favours, we have still not had a discussion. If it is so impossible to talk to you as a coder, what the hell did DD do to you to talk to you being just a player?

Oh yeah, and im not going to be doing those kind of things to you

Sincerely
Chew

Dear Mur, You promised a discussion about favours, we have still not had a discussion. If it is so impossible to talk to you as a coder, what the hell did DD do to you to talk to you being just a player?

Oh yeah, and im not going to be doing those kind of things to you

Sincerely
Chew

At first it seemed he was actually quite reluctant and scolded me cause I failed the test I myself asked for :(

Here's a bit of what he said, after I went to him with research discussions (which you call favors):

"So...it will take a long time for me to consider this and discuss its implications with the council."

"I had TWO plans for you already to give you more than you asked for and both failed dramatically, first one because you ended up with such a dramatic and bad attitude towards all this, in public....."

"I shall stop supporting you directly but i will keep an eye on what you do and will wait for a good reason to give you all want to."

"I should normally tell you "go to the council" and i will probably just do that, if you continue this way."

"You should not base your ingame evolution on me. I've been trying to say that to everybody for ages, till i had to go away so that everybody would understand of simply walk off if they don't manage to do it without me."

"I have a hard time "fighting" with others that don't agree with me on how roles or citizenships to such lands should be given, because of that, this one needs to be an absolute example.

Your failure will be my failure too."

So I guess one of the reasons he continued was to set up an example  :unsure:

Edited by DARK DEMON

[spoiler]

Here is a guide on how to play MD:

1. Find something you enjoy
  2. Do it

Some people (ie AmberRune) enjoy doing quests and don't really end up with "big roles". That's fine! MD is a game and you should be playing it for fun. Other players (ie Z) enjoy doing something that turns into a role and quest making and gets them nice shinies. That's great for them. As long as you're having fun in MD there's not a real problem. If you are having fun then just skip the rest of this guide. If you're not having fun then you get to keep reading.

[spoiler]

• Why aren't you having fun?

For some reason, you aren't having fun. Why not? What about MD isn't fun? Is MD no longer capable of being fun? Are the people in MD preventing you from causing fun? Figure out what's stopping you from having fun and then fix it. Seriously, this is a game and you need to be having fun.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I have to say I agree with Rophs.

Everything I've ever done in MD, Good or Bad, was always fueled by sheer, raw, unbridaled fun.

Duping? Fun
NiiChans shenanigans? Fuun
Outward exploration? Fuuun
Inward exploration? Trippy fuuuun
Helping newblys? The funnest of funs <3

Everyone just needs to kick back and remember why they joined MD in the first place.

If the community did that, hell, this might become a better place than it already is.

• 1 month later...

Commenting purely on the morality of giving favours:

I myself have asked for a few favours, in exchange for something. Usually this is granted, which of course makes me happy, makes me think "Great! I can further my role in MD a bit more, have a bit more influence and actually help others more than I could before!".

For example:

Trading Mur's leash for DS to be revived: I had many hopes for this and had hoped that the guild itself could be filled with all sorts of various roles to do with travelling, as that is essentially what the DS is meant for, especially with how things have progressed now!

You could have cartographers, viscosity experimenters, item charters, all sorts! 

The tome of solidified mist:  Was to not only further my role as a character but to also help persuade others to role play more, especially during death. Making revivals more of a "community thing" again. Dark Demon can testify for the fact of RP purposes.

All these were not just for my own personal delight. They both encompass helping others and, at the same time, furthering my role.

So, my views are; so long as it fits within boundaries such as role, personal abilities, confinements of the game, etc and is not purely for greed or selfish reasons, favours are a good thing in moderation. It keeps a spark alive. No doubt most of us will have had a favour in the form of something. If not? Well, there's still time!

~Sasha

Unfortunately giving favors means creating special things and  that take time, the time that should be used to add features and improving the game.

Also, a favor is a feature for ONE.

While you say this :

All these were not just for my own personal delight. They both encompass helping others and, at the same time, furthering my role.

So, my views are; so long as it fits within boundaries such as role, personal abilities, confinements of the game, etc and is not purely for greed or selfish reasons, favours are a good thing in moderation. It keeps a spark alive. No doubt most of us will have had a favour in the form of something. If not? Well, there's still time!

I say that instead of having a specific item ... you should have asked for a feature (a clickie or smth) to create yourself items.

While you say that you want smth for you to help other ppl, I'd say that's still selfish as the same thing should be available to all.

I understand that some will receive as favors (items, access, spells) from the features they help to test. But those are also available to general public (in theory).

So, while , corrupted as I admit I am, I agree with favors, I also disagree with them due to the large amount of features already LOST.