Ann 3294 - Clicky "bug"

Ary Endleg

http://magicduel.com/page/Announcement/view/3294

An abuse allowing you to view the content of past clickables has been fixed. This has been around for a while but we had not time to fix it immediately therefore it was left until it was more publicly available and therefore problematic. However since it was publicly posted on the forum it has been removed.

How come it's bug and how exactly can it be "abused"?

How come it was known by all and passed on from player to player and nothing was done about it before or ever reported as such or ever before acknowledged as bug by devs?

Extremely large chunk of community always saw it as undocumented feature. In fact how is one to think of it as bug when as new player people get told of it by kings and LHOs.

I don't see what's bad about being able to see content of past clickies? Chew, please tell us, why shouldn't it be there? How does it go against the game, "MD ways" or how ever you call it? How is it harmful for the game?

I see it as very neat and useful feature and would like to see it back.

Side note: I highly dislike such behavior/politics from MD staff, one just can't make distinction between bugs, bugs-turned-feature and undocumented features. In the end somebody gets to "piss off" the devs like I apparently did because it was expected from me to know that it was bug while in reality distinction can't be made from player perspective.

Edited by Ary Endleg

Note to Chew:

See, now you have to jail everyone except me for a day or two!

On  subject:
I for one had no idea about this and from my point of view everyone was abusing a bug to gain advantage in password based quests.

Miq

As far as I know it won't trigger/reveal such scripts, it will only show you the list of "inactive ones" that don't require password or anything. The ones that would only get hidden because clicky maker didn't "refresh" it.

Edited by Ary Endleg

As far as I know it won't triggers such scripts, it will only show you the "inactive ones".

I would hope not. Otherwise whoever knew of this "bug" would have been able to proceed through quests without being required to "think about the next password"... and stuff like that.

• Root Admin

It has been reported as a bug in the past, it was not fixed since it was not a priority.

It was not intended to be used as it was and it has been removed as a "feature".

It may come back as a WP feature in some form.

A large number of clickies that have been made to lapse contain a decent amount of spoilers which should not be viewed. If people wish to keep the information there, they can refresh it.

Okay... I guess another of those secretly reported bugs. Yes yes I understand it was too abusable to be listed on public bug list >_>

Actually I considered it a feature.

And no, I wouldn't pay a WP for it in case it will be ressurected in te Wish Shop.

Edited by dst

As it is not well described what was fixed, I will consider that was fixed the listing of the scripts on a clickie .

-------------------------

As far as I know, it was a feature.

I would hope not. Otherwise whoever knew of this "bug" would have been able to proceed through quests without being required to "think about the next password"... and stuff like that.

And viewing what scripts are on the clickie was not allowing anyone to view any code (unless you own it), just the titles of the old/forgotten codes.

Also, that was a good thing. There are lots of scripts at GoE, good luck finding yours.

I was thinking a bit more about your reply....

A large number of clickies that have been made to lapse contain a decent amount of spoilers which should not be viewed. If people wish to keep the information there, they can refresh it.

Isn't that actually breaking of rules by person making the clicky in first place?

[spoiler]

Abuse of this feature by mistake or stupid use will get your feature _removed_, abuse by intention will get you _baned_.
~WP shop quote

Code maliciously or not in accordance to function. Scriptable items need to be logical in all aspects (image, code, function, name, description, etc). If the code on scriptable items is malicious, the player will lose the ability to edit. If it is just unsuitable, then you will usually be warned first. You can be banned for this.

~MD rules quote

[/spoiler]

Basically you are saying that this fix was made because of not allowed content in some scripts. Any other reason beside hiding rule breaking (which is understandable, not a big deal, too much work to hunt it all down with not enough time, this is easier way to handle it I agree), beside it technically being bug (with nice number of bug-turned-feature around I don't think this is a valid argument) and beside "It was not intended to be used as it was" (which is same as first point, no? if not, care to elaborate?)?

It was not intended to function as it did, it has been changed so now you cannot view scripts that have expired.

But why shouldn't we be able to view them? (any other reason besides preventing us to view scripts that openly contain spoilers which should have been purged in first place because they break rules)

• Root Admin

But why shouldn't we be able to view them? (any other reason besides preventing us to view scripts that openly contain spoilers which should have been purged in first place because they break rules)

Because thats how it was coded and how it has been decided it will be.

Or, if you want something more "mythical" think of it like this clickables have a "lifetime" and require some "effort" to sustain them.

Those clickables that have passwords exist until their password is forgotten. They are not easily visible but those who have the combined effort to remember and pass on the password, they continue to exist. This effort is a community effort to remember the password.

Normal visible clickables have a lifetime until they are automaically hidden, these require an effort by the owner to keep the clickable "alive".

The check for inactive clickable entry is also an effort made by a different player, and previous undeleted clickable entries do leave a trace that you need to look carefully...?

Like the fact that you can access clickie entries with a password regardless if they went inactive or not.

Just saying in case you need an excuse to make the feature available :P

• Root Admin

The check for inactive clickable entry is also an effort made by a different player, and previous undeleted clickable entries do leave a trace that you need to look carefully...?
Like the fact that you can access clickie entries with a password regardless if they went inactive or not.

Indeed, The checking, and revealing of some clickables will be an active effort.

Those clickables that have passwords exist until their password is forgotten. They are not easily visible but those who have the combined effort to remember and pass on the password, they continue to exist. This effort is a community effort to remember the password.

I found part of an old quest Ailith made a long time ago when I was newish. They stick around :)

I also didn't know about this feature, despite having the ability to edit clickables for ages.

Perhaps someone should go through all of the 'feature bugs' (a fitting name?) that everybody knows about except for a few people who never were told about them? Then decide if they should be official features or not. I personally had/have no idea about any of the many feature bugs, and I bet that there are a few people like me. When I asked how to use clickables, I was never told about such a feature, so it likely depended on who you asked/who your friends were.

(I only know about one simple feature bug that I got after pulling teeth about it.)

• Root Admin

Perhaps we should make a beature megathread and force Chew to pull out all his wookiefur?

If people want to come ask me about bugs/features that are undocumented so possibly are abusive, feel free to. But I dont really have time to fix them so asking would merely confirm if you shouldnt post it publicly or not.

Ok, seems people miss-interpreted what I said (or I didn't say it in the right way): IT WAS a bug but I considered it a feature because it did more good than harm.

If you knew it was intended to be a bug (even if you thought it should be a feature) then that brings up a question.

Is it better for lots of people (but not all) to benefit from such a beneficial feature, or is it better for no one to benefit at all? There have been several ways that people have found spoilers now and in the past. To some, spoilers don't mean anything. To others, they mean a lot.

For example, I've heard that on a certain site people used to be able to find tons of spoilers if they knew how. This was not intentional at all, and it was fixed. But, it does mean that you have a group of people (myself included) who don't know these and will have to get them the hard way.

So are such features/spoilers worth keeping away from newer players? I honestly don't know. Maybe newcomers like myself will benefit from having to work for every single piece of information, with none of it given out. But maybe the newcomers who, with access to some free spoilers, would have thrived and found/thought of new things, now feel like they have a lot less to go on.

All I know is when wishpoints were given freely, and spoilers were everywhere to be found, MD was thriving a lot more. Hopefully A25 will make MD thrive again--it has lots of potential from what I've heard, and it seems that wishpoints will be given out more freely again. This is good. I don't know how information that used to be available to everyone is given out now (I'm guessing DD does, but perhaps not?) But both information and wishpoints are valuable, and I would certainly enjoy both.