personal strongbox or a bank

Miq

Ave,

So with all these new items the inventory gets crowded. 

I was thinking of two thing

1) make a strongbox item available in shop. So the box will have it's own inventory and we could but stuff there (invisible to other) 

2) Make a new scene with a "bank" that offers boxes for rent. Functions the same way as the strongbox but require a rent and can't me taken with you. 

Miq

I generally dislike the idea, but I would support it if all items stored inside the strongbox are unusable while there (whatever their use is - for instance you can't contribute tea leaves to make tea if your tea leaves are in the box). I don't see the need to hide your items, and I think if you really want to do it, then it should come with an inconvenience.

Something different from what Miq intended, but just an idea that came to by mind that I want to blurt out:

How about boxes (via a public clicky) to "package" a specific amount of a resource for sale, rather than selling entire stacks? There would be a fee of course :P

Edited by DARK DEMON

I generally dislike the idea, but I would support it if all items stored inside the strongbox are unusable while there (whatever their use is - for instance you can't contribute tea leaves to make tea if your tea leaves are in the box). I don't see the need to hide your items, and I think if you really want to do it, then it should come with an inconvenience.

I did not write it but ofc they are supposed to be unusable aka you have to go and take the thing from there before you can use/trade things.

Something different from what Miq intended, but just an idea that came to by mind that I want to blurt out:

How about boxes (via a public clicky) to "package" a specific amount of a resource for sale, rather than selling entire stacks? There would be a fee of course :P

if you mean the splitting of resources its been said that this wont be made possible and there are reasons for why not

If you do have a sort of... Bank, put an access fee. I.e., you need to give 1 silver coin in order to open it. That means you pay a silver, and can put whatever you want in there, take anything you have in there out, but as soon as you close the 'bank, you need to pay to access it again.

What could potentially be possible is the 'splitting' of resources without splitting them.

Example: I start off with 0 tea leaves. I then collect 10 tea leaves and put them in the box. I then collect 5 more tea leaves and since they're not in the box, they're 'split'. Thus, I'd have a box of 10 tea leaves and 5 more tea leaves. If I wanted to put more tea leaves in the box, obviously I'd have to put all of my 5 tea leaf stack in at once thus making 15 tea leaves in the box.

Essentially, the box would be like the other player that some people use to 'split' resources. The big problem is how would such a box be created...

If this is exactly what you meant, Dark Demon, then I agree somewhat. Though perhaps not about the fee.

Edited by Change

• Root Admin

No thats splitting resources which we have already discussed, repeatedly, that it wont be done. Please people stop suggesting this.

if you mean the splitting of resources its been said that this wont be made possible and there are reasons for why not

Well done Syrian.

This opens other possibilities; for example:

• Multiple keys per strong box (alliances, and any other group, could share a strongbox)
  • Or you could have a combination / pass phrase instead. This could be shared by code in a clickable to automatically award prizes.
  • Escrow. Pay a silver for a strong box, lock something in it, pay an additional silver to a TK and hand them your key and a document stating under what publicly verifiable circumstances that key should be passed on to another party.
  • Leave a will should you disappear from MD for a while. Would only apply to items in the strong box.
Edited by Ivorak

What could potentially be possible is the 'splitting' of resources without splitting them.

Example: I start off with 0 tea leaves. I then collect 10 tea leaves and put them in the box. I then collect 5 more tea leaves and since they're not in the box, they're 'split'. Thus, I'd have a box of 10 tea leaves and 5 more tea leaves. If I wanted to put more tea leaves in the box, obviously I'd have to put all of my 5 tea leaf stack in at once thus making 15 tea leaves in the box.

Essentially, the box would be like the other player that some people use to 'split' resources. The big problem is how would such a box be created...

If this is exactly what you meant, Dark Demon, then I agree somewhat. Though perhaps not about the fee.

If splitting resources in this way is not wanted, then putting a 'ward' on the strongbox to not allow resources to be placed inside. Only allow enchanted stones, common items, default items, valuables, consumables, and etc. to be placed within the strongbox/bank.

Is splitting resources not wanted? I thought the only reason why it's not wanted is because splitting resources would be akin to breaking MD physics. However, this box doesn't seem to break MD physics, especially if it's a box that's 'external' to the player (not in their inventory, like a bank).

If a living being is necessary to hold resources, then perhaps make it a 'living bank'? That way, the only main reason against such a thing would be that it might lessen the interaction with other players. (For example, someone could gather flowers and run to the 'bank' each time to stack them, though that'd be terribly inefficient)

Yes, splitting resources is ... forbidden denied, no doubt about it, not gonna happen.

Yes, having a strongbox would allow each player to have 2 stacks of resources (as Change pointed out) .

Yes, what Ivorak said  could be possible but would require a lot of extra work

[spoiler]

This opens other possibilities; for example:

• Multiple keys per strong box (alliances, and any other group, could share a strongbox)
  • Or you could have a combination / pass phrase instead. This could be shared by code in a clickable to automatically award prizes.
  • Escrow. Pay a silver for a strong box, lock something in it, pay an additional silver to a TK and hand them your key and a document stating under what publicly verifiable circumstances that key should be passed on to another party.
  • Leave a will should you disappear from MD for a while. Would only apply to items in the strong box.

[/spoiler]

What was not mentioned before is that there is already a feature that works like this , actually 2 features:

- creature books / bestiaries

- creature tokens

Both features promised, at their start, that the creatures could be retrieved thus allowing a larger pool of creatures then maximum allowed.

(please don't argue that now this is not the case with the bestiary)

With the above feature(s), it seems only natural to have smth like strongbox but as MD is nothing like RL ... natural does not mean it will happen :P

Also, instead of a strongbox, currently I use the Dst's leash so ... I guess ... if this feature gets implemented she will be a lot happier and you might have a chance on Dst's Leash next time.

If double resource stacks are issue with strongbox... Then why not make it that all new resources go to same stack directly, regardless if stack is in inventory or box. In other words. If you placed stack in box, newly acquired resources would go directly in there (added to the stack inside box). That means you could only have stack either in inventory or in box, but not both. You would still need to take it out of box in order to use it.

@Ary:

:) I am not against having 2 stacks of resources. It would finally allow me to harvest separate stacks of herbs for sale purpose.

I even like the "stromgbox" for alliance / land. Not to mention that the land inventory / (i forgot the exact name used) ... was mentioned since the very first land war when the points won were split among lands.

It terms of land storage, I mean it's not the same idea as you have there, but various (I think all?) lands have been after an accessible land treasury, where possessions of the land could be put (for instance I have a couple items, some resources and coins that belong to the land, rather than myself)

• Root Admin

I fully suppor the idea of a central bank of some sort, where you could pack into one box multiple things like resources, creatures, items, etc. In fact, long ago, in the time when i was thinking i could draw md scenes myself (lol), i had a vault created (chew you may make t public here if you like). At that time it was kind of useless, but now its very much needed. The same functionality could be used to pack rewards, treasures and such.

So..i will make a bank, or more (land based?) but i don't know when..there are plenty of other things i need to do first. ..but it will be done.

I dont know what "vault" you are talking about.

I made treasuries a while ago, and was planning to role them out to lands after some changes have been made.

• 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

Yeah in discussions with Mur what he imagined was precisely what I coded in the treasuries many years ago. He just completely forgot about it.

Once Loreroot has finished their elections I shall open discussion from all lands about making a land treasury.

Yeah in discussions with Mur what he imagined was precisely what I coded in the treasuries many years ago. He just completely forgot about it.

Once Loreroot has finished their elections I shall open discussion from all lands about making a land treasury.

GG has an upcoming election very soon. We have nominations done and just need to do the whole election process.