Land loyalty decay

DARK DEMON

I think its a joke to call it "land loyalty" anymore. I propose to either change that name or, if we want to keep it that way and fix the issue:

A player loses 1 loyalty from each land every day, except the land he's a citizen of or the land he is located on.

It makes sense to become less loyal if you don't visit a place for ages.

Edited by DARK DEMON

• Root Admin

Could you rename the topic to somethin more appropriate? Such as "rename land loyalty"

Changin the name was discussed and planned by Mur and I when we discussed the idea of this change, we just didn't decide on what the name would be

Land Knowledge.

At least, that's what id rename it to.

If you gain Loyalty to a Land (As things stand currently) it means you either want to explore that area more easily (Adventuring) want to use their items (Experimenting) or simply have a higher standing position there in comparison to others (Decision Making).

As I see that and then some, these all seem to fall under one unified category.

Land Knowledge.

Edited by Fang Archbane

Changin the name was discussed and planned by Mur and I when we discussed the idea of this change, we just didn't decide on what the name would be

Could it be related to the visits as each time you move through a scene you get one accustomed to it.

Land Affinity?

Land Tolerance?

Land Attunement.

Land Acceptance (if we are talking the Lands having a sort of mind of their own for you, since Viscosity is a Force that works against players from the realm itself)

Or, why not just "Congruity: Land_name".    to keep it a bit esoteric or erudite or other weird-words like Volition.  :P

If I may be so bold as to speak, id suggest you make it so that negligence leads to losing some of the skills you gain from using land gathering items.

My reasoning for this is if that's not upkept, you'll pay a statistical price and that ends there.

If youre to lose "Land Loyalty" upon negligence, or Maker forbid "Dedication", then you pay a price, and your ability to Adventure/Be Free pays a price.

Edited by Fang Archbane

I am planning "something" to drop as you gain other things, i am not sure at this point if it will be the land loyalty as iti si called now (might change as chew mentioned) or if it will be skills given by using items.

What about skills gained through independent tools?

Not a really good idea ...

quoting myself:

1) Land loyalty decay ... could work if you wouldn't care about anything else / any other land. Consider that something happen and you get kicked out of your alliance and thus of your land. Then you'd start losing it. Would that still be ok ?

Then, consider all those left without an alliance (or land lately), should their history get removed ? Like it didn't happen ?

Or consider that some rewards would be : land loyalty. So, this gift would be useless within days/weeks.

Maybe some do deserve being punished and to lose their land loyalty, but we're not talking about specific ppl but for everybody.

So, no. I don't agree with the decay.

skill decay as game desing can be potentially be bad

If one has a game with significant decay for skill or other things of value, only those actively working to keep or increase skill will have some of value skills.

Then some player will like it ,, but some players will feel on a threadmill that go nowhere, and either quit or decide that skill are worthless for the work necessary to maintain.

Edited by Tom Pouce

Separate "Land Loyalty" into "Loyalty" and "Attunement". Loyalty is only gained by citizens, Attunement is gained by anyone who gets an active day while on the land's territory. Loyalty increases by +1, Attunement by +2, as previously announced. They have identical functions, however:

1. Land Loyalty is permanent and does not decay.

2. Land Attunement decreases by -1 / land / day. (so if you have attunement for 5 different lands, you lose 1 from each land each day).

3. Land Attunement is converted into Land Loyalty at a much slower rate (say every 100 Attunement you gain 1 Loyalty - this could also imply 'capping' attunement at 100, and when you go over 100 it is reset to 0 and you get 1 land loyalty. Random idea). 

Does that sound fairer? I agree with NoOne (shockingly). I am strongly against land loyalty decaying, mostly for the reason that some characters are historically strongly connected to a land, that doesn't mean their history should decay if they are inactive. Bit of a slippery slope, but what's next? Will stats decay for inactive players? Will old players lose items for inactivity? You get what I mean.

Honestly you're exaggerating and escalating it way too much. Nobody asked for decay of any of those things.

I don't really see a person as 'loyal' to a land unless they're willing to become a citizen of it. Being "historically connected to a land" and then leaving the land shouldn't mean they get to keep their loyalty when they're really not loyal/devoted to it anymore.

Edited by DARK DEMON

I agree with Aeo and No One, I have put off responding until I had time to think it over. My character Assira, has a history in Necrovion, MDA, and the East. I was apart of Necrovion and the East before land loyalty. Necrovion I rejoined later after land loyalty was implemented. All those lands are apart of my background, it is my history. The decay is like saying the time spent there is irrelevant or that the land has forgotten. It is proof of time spent and of a connection to a land. I like the idea of being able to gain 'something' for staying with a land. It means I can renew a connection with the East where in the past it was not possible for me without joining an alliance. I have no land loyalty proof that I was once apart of the East. Now I can be without having to join an alliance. If I decide to join an alliance there, it will be to focus on character growth, ideals, and to work towards a specific goal. Not so that I can just gain loyalty or carry a badge for show.

While I agree that there needs to be a balance for the new ways to gain land loyalty. I think we should see where things go from here. We do not have set examples or knowledge how this will affect the future of alliances, citizenship, and item collection.