Arachnid Artisans

This quest is built of 3 parts. The first person to complete part 1 will cause the reveal of part 2 to everyone when/if they complete part 2. Same with part 3.

Part 1: Build a spider web.

Part 2 revealed by Faceless: Capture an image of a real spider on your web.

You can build it out of any materials you like. No drawings, only builds.

Please take and post a photo of your spider web and ensure there is a piece of paper in the image with your MD name and the date on it.

Prizes depend on how you play.

Part 3 is a live event and will be held sometime from the 28th of October. If nobody reaches part 3 by then...that part won't happen.

Z

Edited by (Zl-eye-f)-nea

Ok,  since no one else has yet presented itself, I will cast my luck ...

I would first like to say that I never stitched before; the embroidery usually follows a detailed model; and this work was not done by my wife; after the first centerlines everything else was done as my imagination was drawing (something difficult for me and it took four whole hours to finish) would like to point out also that it would be much easier after the starting point simply pull the line straight, but I decided to do it this way to show that it was laborious. Regarding the use of different colors, it was a simple decision based to break the monotony of look that would be formed to embroider with a single color.

IMG_20161006_203431290.jpg

IMG_20161007_123742053.jpg

IMG_20161007_123916837.jpg

IMG_20161007_123937644.jpg

My spider web (made of polymer clay and decorated with small red marbles):

spider_1.JPG

Then I made a little spider and decorated the web with a small rose:

spider_2.JPG

Then I "cooked"  and varnished both of them and turned the whole thing into a magnet:

spider_3.JPG

And a closer look on the web since it was supposed to be the star here:

spider_4.JPG

ok, this was a terribly scaring task (I have arachnophobia) but from every leap of armadeira and my screams, between jumping and multiple photos, and the stench that locked my throat for a few minutes, all survived, all spiders captured were released in nature.

1-The Opiliones are an order of arachnids commonly known as harvestmen and they are popularly known in Brazil as Spider-stinking. The main feature of it is the presence of a couple of disgusting glands that exude a repulsive stench when they feel threatened...

aranha-fedorenta.jpg

2-The recluse spiders or brown spiders (genus Loxosceles), also known as fiddle-back, violin spiders  or reapers, are a genus of venomous spiders known for their bite, which sometimes produces a characteristic set of symptoms known as loxoscelism (necrosis).

aranha_marrom.jpg

3-Phoneutria, commonly known as Brazilian wandering spiders, armed spiders (armadeiras, as they are known in Brazilian Portuguese who comes from its invariable attitude of attack, with forepaws raised.), are a genus of aggressive and venomous spiders of potential medical significance to humans.[2] They are mainly found in tropical South America. The Brazilian wandering spiders appear in Guinness World Records from 2010 as the world's most venomous spider. Guinness World Records states that although the Brazilian wandering spider venom is the most toxic, an effective antivenom is available and few fatalities occur.

armadeira_1.jpg

armadeira_2.jpg

4-Tarantula (Lycosa erythrognatha) Spider-of-garden, also known as Spider-of-grass or wolf spider. Poison of the Spider-of-grass causes intense pain, with burning sensation and tingling, and may cause allergic reactions.

tarantula.jpg

Edited by Faceless

On 12/10/2016 at 2:04 PM, Faceless said:

1-Opilião, aranha-fedorenta, how it is called in Brazil (Spider-stinking) if you can take a close look in it you see the strange legs fulled with spikes.

O.O That is one of the most awesome and terrifying things I've ever seen....

Edited by Guest

I am not really scared of spiders but I am grossed out of my mind so the 2 pics are all I could muster the stomach for.

It was playing dead. Poor thing was scared to death...

spider_playing_dead.PNG

And it tried to escape (red thingies are the "claws" of a cloths pin I used to "guide" Spidy):

spider_trying_escape.PNG

I washed and disinfected the spider web with medicinal alcohol when the ordeal was over.

19 hours ago, Lintara said:

Sorry, no live spiders for part 2, it's too cold for them now where I live, so most have either gone to sleep or froze by now.

Most die early winter, most leave their little eggs that are born in the spring...

Nice piece of art, I do not know if it's intentional but wefts resemble leaves, very beautiful really (off topic when I can give likes to posts?)

For part 3, Lin, F and Dst, you need to pick two people who agree to help you.

Please post your associates names here, along with a list of 5 key skills each of you have (they should be character skills, for example, Z might have ability to make people sleepy, plant healing, fast running, grumpyness and alcohol tolerance)

Z

I've already asked two people to help me, and as I expect by them will think of my 5 skills:

1-walker: ability to walk more than 62 miles (100 km) in a month.
2-Sawdust stacker: ability to stack sawdust in random sleepers.

3-Artist: ability to draw or model.

4-ability to hide in the shadows (at least he thinks he has :ph34r:)

5-Friendship-ability to make sincere friendships. (Or at least to be a sincere friend)

Ungod answer:

1-money-making :D
2-the ability to get drunk in almost any environment
3-water dowsing 
4-the ability to chase people

5-making bad jokes

Lashtal answer

1- archeology skills (digging for bones and skulls)
2- thanatology skills (collector of all things dead and decayed)
3- perseverance / dedication
4- hunting (looking for trespassers in Necrovion all the time)
5- deadly (Necrovion death patrol role)

Edit: thanks Ungod and Lashtal for its readiness to respond ;)

Edited by Faceless

Thanks @Faceless

@dst - Ideally, they will be with you when you come to the in game event. However, they don't actually need to be there, you can use their skills for them instead - the down side is, you'll be relying only on your knowledge of their skills and when/how to use them, rather than the innate knowledge someone who holds those skills has. You can also send one of them instead of yourself if you want to.

As a side note - I have had some time issues myself recently, so apologies for the lateness of this request from me. It may mean the event runs after Halloween...unless you guys can do tomorrow or Monday night.

Z

13 minutes ago, (Zl-eye-f)-nea said:

As a side note - I have had some time issues myself recently, so apologies for the lateness of this request from me. It may mean the event runs after Halloween...unless you guys can do tomorrow or Monday night.

Z

I will be at home sunday; monday only after 22ST (normally)

Ok, we'll set it so 22:30ST on Monday, and move it if we need to - that way you might all be able to play at once. Come see Z then.

If you're going to show up...I would strongly urge you to provide the names and skills at least 2 hours in advance of attending though....because if you don't...you can still play...but there might be consequences. 

If you can't make it, just let me know and I'll sort a date with you.

Z

Here are the members of my team:

Lintara
1. Briskness (by definition - Marked by speed, liveliness, and vigor; energetic)
2. Flight
3. Healing others (give vital)
4. Diplomacy
5. Empathy

Sunfire
1. Pyromancy
2. Diplomacy
3. Patience
4. Loyalty
5. Combat expertise

Valoryn
1. Dancing.
2. Fighting with a sword and buckler.
3. The ability to shield allies (based on the GuardianArmy spell)
4. Horse handling.
5. Doing anything he can normally do while being blindfolded.

My skills:

- stalking people

- brains

- hoarder (items lately)

- logs analysis and interpretation

- fighting with words

MaGo's skills:

- providing earworms

- giving statements with doublemeaning

- being a lightweight with alcohol

- bacon eater

- being the new dstbus

No one's skills:

- annoy dst

- herbs gatherer

- lack of diplomacy making him a very blunt person

- coder (coding stuff for MD and making my life easier)

- a very good fighter even after 8 years of MD and countless changes in the system

I will try to be on tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to be having some planning difficulties with finishing this. I'll be on and off this evening and weekend. If you catch me, I'll run your quest, if not, I'm going to have to put a time limit on, otherwise I think this may end up still going by xmas...

Z