Need a better way to organise all the things to do

Chewett

• Root Admin

So I have a week off and I’m looking to do a couple things in MD. However part of the problem is is that I have many messages on various different things and some of them have been lost in the deluge I’m getting.

Over the past years I have tried a lot of different ways to organise these but haven’t found something that I have gotten on well.

Recently I wrote up a list of things I know I really need to do and it was a whole page in my notebook before I even went though my various messages from you guys.

One of the better things was actually a bug/issue tracker which I used for a while. Actually the things mounted up pretty quick but I did have a list of things.

Maintaining a physical notebook isn’t feasible as it quickly becomes a mess of things I have dealt with, am waiting on, and such.

I could possibly use a forum to keep track of things and then everyone can see it and I can keep you all updated. However anything private would need to be hidden.

Does anyone have any suggestions? At the moment the sheer task of keeping track of everything is actually taking more of the time than I spend actually coding.

Although some of this is expected as I distribute work so that’s on some level ok.

Being the main person doing things here is pretty hard on me organising it all, and I will admit because of the various ways things get reported to me (email, forum, forum pm, game pm, Skype, discord) it’s hard to keep track of it all.

If anyone has any suggestions or what might work, might not work, hasn’t worked, please please please let’s talk. Because at the moment there is a lot of space for improvement.

• Root Admin

When i had to deal with this issue i was unable to find a solution due to two reasons:

1) i have big issues to get organized, usually i do the things i can think of in that moment, never what i "must do". However Chew seems to be much better organized than i ever was.

2) its good to have many ideas brainstormed and debated, but in the end it comes to the view and decision of the one developing those features (in this case Chewett), that must build a coherent picture from all the opinions...one that fits with his own.

In MD we are a community of very smart people and the good ideas can't be ignored, but some also not developed right away, or anytime soon.

My opinion, as a member of the community NOT as a developer, is that there should be intermediate layer to filter out minor tasks, and let Chew do the complex things according to his view..that leads to less democratic decisions but far more coherent and useful results.

Having a SecretAry involves distribution of authority and usually people invested with authority end up behaving wrong...but to som extent its useful.

A SecretAry might work if the person is someone that already had to deal with authority and is respected and with great reputation.

Sadly chew has to deal with a lot , but some things are minor and clear things, some are big concepts that require a lot of attention. The minor things make each one happy and keep existing community alive, but the big things revive md and make it grow. You can't torture a single man with both. 

• Root Admin

Oh one more suggestion. Assign multiple Ary's each for a purpose, and whenever he is online in a place and is in the mood of doing something, that person can detail him what needs to be done in that section of development he feels like working on at that time.

for me this works best, but chew is chew me am me, I am just sharing my opinion, hopefully it helps to some extent.

I use freshdesk for tasks, but it didn't work out well in the end for me, because of long tasks i was not ready to start. However doing what is on my mind right then, and having someone to talk to right then, helped me. (like on the Island)

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Ledah said:

Perhaps it is best to have periods of time where you flat out take no suggestions and finish tasks that you want or feel are vital. Seems like a lack of time being the issue, not management of it.

The lack of time then means sometimes messages that are important are lost,etc.

Things that need to be done soonish can get lost :(

• Root Admin

Chew has the difficult task to do both things important to the entire community and individual tasks important to individuals. This is the problem that shut me down, i wasn't able to do both and i prefered to focus on the big picture amd ignore the small pictures, but that was also not good, because in the end ..the big picture is composed by each and every member ....

I look forward to learn from whatever will work for Chew to solve this issue, maybe it will help me too

• Root Admin

>1) i have big issues to get organized, usually i do the things i can think of in that moment, never what i "must do". However Chew seems to be much better organized than i ever was.

There are a number of "big issues" that are ongoing, like the move to PHP7 (which we need to do ideally by end of year when it becomes unsupported) and work on the flashless interface.

Those are long running tasks I have to keep an eye on.

>Sadly chew has to deal with a lot , but some things are minor and clear things, some are big concepts that require a lot of attention. The minor things make each one happy and keep existing community alive, but the big things revive md and make it grow. You can't torture a single man with both. 

Its certainly a challenge keeping a balance.

-----

I think Im going to clean down of all the messages I need to read/send and then maybe work on setting redmine again.