New Titles - Job titles and RP titles

Chewett

• Root Admin

Here I outline a plan which has existed since the titles were changed to having two at once. The reason this hasnt been fully implemented is that I have no desire to half implement something in MD, leaving it in a limbo state.

I see this title change very important, leading onto both changes in the resource economy and alliance/guild system.

The premise is this, instead of randomly picking two titles which you wear upon your character you have two titles. Roleplay Titles and job titles.

Currently the majority of titles fall into category 1, Roleplay titles. These relate to you as a character and who you are. An example is the tag "Bringers of Light". This would be the main tag that is shown first on your character page. These are designed to be customized to you and slowly gained from your king, or similar.

The second, and new title would is called the job title. If you have no roleplay title it will be shown as your main title however those that have a roleplay title it would be shown below that. The job title is something that would have an active and passive effect in what you do day to day.

Examples of job progression

Amateur thing doer -> Apprentice thing doer -> experienced thing doer -> Master thing doer -> chief thing doer

Here while working on "thing doing" you will slowly progress in the ranks. Each "level up" in rank will require certain tasks to be performed, and in addition they will confer certain bonuses. You may need to learn from a master, you may just need to practice hard, or you may need consensus from a secret community of thing doers.

The basic idea is that with job titles you can slowly progress them to a level wherin you become the best at doing the thing.

At higher levels, you will gain access to better tooling, and potentially even access to the guilds themselves attributed to those skills. This may be one of the ways we start allowing other guilds into the game. Obviously consideration would be given to those currently in the guilds, as we wouldnt want to just say "You no longer have an alliance"

What jobs could I do? Any!

The idea with jobs is that like tags, you would be able to change them as you wish however there would be a cost. At the higher level of tags there would require a continual effort to maintain the skill. If you didnt continue to maintain it the tag itself would degrade to a specific level (e.g. to experienced). This base level wouldn't be able to be lost, but would show that while you may have reached a higher level, you havent practised the skills recently.

Depending on the decay rate, you might be able to keep two or so skills at the highest level however the others would degrade. This then means you cant have one person who is the best at everything and encourages working with others who are able to get the higher level tools/ingredients that you need.

Another facet to this, is that I wouldnt want to necessarily limit a players pick of jobs. While mechanically there will only be a certain set of jobs in the game initially I would welcome any player to put forward their idea of a job if they want to play it. Within reason if it makes sense we would look at implementing that job with its own progression tree.

For example a water dowser may focus on a subtree where he works with woodcrafting to repair his buckets. Skilling both woodcutting and water dowsing at the same time. However since it is a duel skill, neither would be able to reach the higher levels.

--

Opinions are welcome, but first we need to fix the economy.

I'm not privy to the latest developments, or fixing the economy. The water dowsing is the last job i remember. I was thinking about this earlier. What makes an economy go? You can work and work in MD and gather stuff, how about owning something? Like a business. You can make someone work or you can own the entire Lands, Marind's Bell for example. Wouldn't this also encourage players to pay more for MD? Hardworking is nice and all at paper but it never works quite well with people. If It seems stupid to pay money to become king, perhaps there should be some other ways to the throne as well. Sorry if this sounds out of date and we could already own businesses.

19 hours ago, ignnus said:

What makes an economy go? You can work and work in MD and gather stuff, how about owning something? Like a business. You can make someone work or you can own the entire Lands, Marind's Bell for example. Wouldn't this also encourage players to pay more for MD? Hardworking is nice and all at paper but it never works quite well with people.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting some kind of goal? Like obtaining something just for that person, something valuable and unique, ...? 

Sure, it would encourage some players a lot, but then we have the other side. For example, if someone obtains part of Marind Bell or GG : - what about  king/queen of that land and his/hers authority over that part of land? ( sorry If this is already clear, haven´t read about it). And about regular players? Should they pay some fee for entering it? 

I am not sure, if normal land can/should be sold. Maybe if we talk about some new area, which is somehow connected to the owner (like, he drawn it,  it was his/hers idea,...)

Ehm, it looks like I am not sure about many things. Indeed, that´s right. But I agree with you in creating encouragements for players for doing  their job good,..

What about minor spells/abilities somehow connected to their jobs? For example, woodcutters would be able to add +1 resource regeneration for specific area. And that ability can be with some countdown, lets say one or two days. Or maybe experienced woodcutters can choose one adept in profession and this adept may have additional +0,01 points for every lumber/branch,... he cuts.  

Also, you mentioned thing about "make someone work". Well, if it´s not slavery xD But we already have our monarchs, Queens and Kings. It would be interesting, if they put up some bounty/reward for your extra work for that particular land. 

I think it's nice to have a distinction between a role play tag (who you ARE - passive) and a job tag (what you DO on a day to day basis- active).

For example, I would say my goal for Travelling Investigator is a job tag, because that's intended to be a continuous active thing to generate research and discussion / ideas.

My role play tag would be an evolution of my original tag (I have yet to define it properly)

I like your suggestion regarding progressive advancement of an occupation as it implies real achievement and goal sharing.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, jakubhi said:

Also, you mentioned thing about "make someone work". Well, if it´s not slavery xD But we already have our monarchs, Queens and Kings. It would be interesting, if they put up some bounty/reward for your extra work for that particular land.

I was thinking automated resource gains. Your idea is better. I personally like mercenary type work. Isn't this already covered with the current system, anyone can put bounties if they wish, am i wrong?

Sure, it would encourage some players a lot, but then we have the other side. For example, if someone obtains part of Marind Bell or GG : - what about  king/queen of that land and his/hers authority over that part of land? ( sorry If this is already clear, haven´t read about it). And about regular players?

Perhaps current Kings/ Queens should own the lands by default. And they could lose/gain their authority based on their rule and ownership. And perhaps it could be designed so it would be very difficult to perform coups / topple them. Question is how to integrate this type of stat? And is the fun worth the cost? Perhaps authority =~ honor can be converted to each other like loyalty. That's not difficult, also would it make sense in the long term? A coup everyday at Necro? Why not, could be fun. For example Azull is a great king ofc,  but should he rule eternally until a better king appears? Or should he have to stamp out dissidents? 

Should they pay some fee for entering it

That's a big No in general. Perhaps a branch etc.. for a fee is fine. I mean think about it, Necrovion could charge more than anyone. *evil laugh*

What about minor spells/abilities somehow connected to their jobs? For example, woodcutters would be able to add +1 resource regeneration for specific area. And that ability can be with some countdown, lets say one or two days. Or maybe experienced woodcutters can choose one adept in profession and this adept may have additional +0,01 points for every lumber/branch,... he cuts

Sounds good to me? Though not particularly related to ownership or how would they.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, jakubhi said:

What about minor spells/abilities somehow connected to their jobs? For example, woodcutters would be able to add +1 resource regeneration for specific area. And that ability can be with some countdown, lets say one or two days. Or maybe experienced woodcutters can choose one adept in profession and this adept may have additional +0,01 points for every lumber/branch,... he cuts.  

Indeed this sounds like slavery :)

But tight to land instead or to an alliance, that would sound awesome. But even then ... we'd need to refine & (re)define some concepts related to land ruling and alliance ownership.