Ann. 4948

Lazarus

LHO - Disbanded
The LHO system ended today, till further notice. Untill we have a better communication and rewarding system for LHO, as it was it can't function properly. Some very active people can't function as LHO efficiently, and other people keep the LHO status simply because it looks nice on their playername, without doing anything LHO related, and i simply don't have the time to do police. I am deeply grateful to those that put effort into this till now, and helped new players by answering their questions.
The LHO button in the interface will dissapear shortly, and in the future i will think of a better way to achieve what LHO system was supposed to achieve. 
Chew will grant any compensation due for those that worked as LHO till the last moment, as he knows better who those people are and what they should get.

At this moment we have a free spot in the mechanics of MD for a group that does public service of some sort, that involves communication, respect to new players, and steady continous activity. I wish to re-establish this part of the mechanics, but i will do so only when i will see a good opportunity.

May I ask what is the purpose of disbanding a major contributing factor to players staying longer? I don't know about anyone but I see no purpose for it, this will do more harm in MD than good. Live Help Operators have been incredibly helpful to my experience and the now-previous LHO's were very competent. Syrian, for one. Whether you think it or not, LHO's are essential to this game now more than ever as the interface is completely turned upside down, even us older players are still struggling to find which button is for and where to find them.

New players need the most help and they start in the GWI, what is the replacement for this? The Guardians? They are not LHO's and they can be if they want to, but the Live Help Button as you said will be removed, how are the new players be able to get help? They can't just message a random person on sight because they may not be qualified or knowledgable enough to give advice. We don't have "until further notice" because we all know how long it will take based on our collective experience as to what it means, players are coming in more and more and they would need help and some form of guidance. This is another unnecessary change to make.

This should not be taken personally, I just want to understand your abstract, Mur.

Edited by Lazarus

Nah, I think it's cool, because At this moment we have a free spot in the mechanics of MD for a group that does public service of some sort, that involves communication, respect to new players, and steady continous activity. I wish to re-establish this part of the mechanics, but i will do so only when i will see a good opportunity.

I thought this is what this thread is about, actually - what group could replace the LHOs? Because there was a Public Council, and when I joined MD, it was dragging its feet as well. Any ideas?

For previous discussion on this topic, please view above forum discussion.

I did not see too many issues with the system. I DO wish that when LHOs were busy with A25 or were logged in, but idle, they could "click off" their LHO message option. Kind of like the glowing letters from https://magicduel.com/page/Announcement/view/4947. That way, if players who were LHO were on, they could turn off their LHO receiving button. So you didn't have someone who received all of the messaged, but had been idle for 5 hours, then when they log on during their typical window in 6 more hours, the person who asked for help wouldn't still be on.

Edited by Steno

I'm thinking if it's possible to assign LHO to a group of people other than just 1 player at a time.  

Or make it like a quest. The live help request would send to something like post or billboard in each land. The closest player who could help can claim it and be counted. It might be more effective.

• Root Admin

I previously proposed a ticketing style system to improve how it works. Mur previously agreed with me and said I should go ahead with it.

In speaking with him today he decided to make this announcement without any forwarning when I started the conversation with asking what his plans were for LHO.

I do not know if he wants me to code anything for MD, but I am very happy and want to remake the LHO. I think its foolish to "just remove them" like this.

I do not agree with this decision and was not consulted. I have raised that concern privately with him too.

11 minutes ago, yokin said:

I'm thinking if it's possible to assign LHO to a group of people other than just 1 player at a time.  

Or make it like a quest. The live help request would send to something like post or billboard in each land. The closest player who could help can claim it and be counted. It might be more effective.

I like this idea a whole bunch, because it would populate the quest landscape. However, a huge downside could be abuse, aka I ask for help because i know my friend is online and he could get a benefit from helping me. (because of the potential of abuse, any rewards would have to not include WP-in my mind).

A ticketing system would be a simple way (how I see it) way to resolve this issue. Or at least modify the current system to see if modification works, rather than just removal.

I want to play Devil's advocate a moment, not just because it is fun but because I have never seen the point of LHO and since the nerf of their spells I don't see the benefit of LHO's.

When I started it was forwned upon to feed people information, for example explaining how to get into Loreroot publically was quite verboten. You learned as you played, some things you never learned if you didn't play enough. Personally, the very few occasions somehow has asked me for help I try to tell them to search the announcements and the forums as 99% of the time the answer is there, there also tends to be an explanation of why something is the way it is, which is more important than knowing the thing itself, I tend to find. Seeing as they don't ask for help a second time I can only assume my superior way of teaching has set them off on the right path, so much so they never feel the need to ask a question again!

A ticketing system would be far superior to the glowing button, although I will miss being able to spam an LHO when I get bored. Why not have the button link to a general thread on the forum? Let anyone help when someone is actively looking. Why do we need players with a * and a few spells? You will probably get a faster response that way. Most importantly, it will be public so if the answer is incorrect people can chime in. Why restrict it to certain people, when you can have it in a public place?

If someone isn't going to stick around because there is nobody around to feed them answers, that is an excellent filter in my opinion.

@LedahI didn't mean the glowing letters were a solution. I meant that, according to Mur, he had built a trigger into the glowing letters when someone had the A25 tools open. I meant that LHOs could open a "LHO window or tools" and it would hit a trigger, similar to a ticketing system. I apologize for not clearly explaining it the first time, because it doesn't make sense where I was going the first time.

Having a link which takes them to a general forum thread sounds like an excellent idea in the interim. Though I have to say that yes, it filters. But also, some people can be shaped, molded by the quality of the people around them or their environment. Who they are when they ask for me help and quit with no answer is not the same person that they could be if helped, stay around because of that help, and continue to help themselves.

The few times I asked something a LHO, they were fast, polite and helpful. However, I didn't want to ask them for help! I thought I should do it all on my own. You're also being told you have to discover things for yourself. Then, you get to know people and message them directly - or you get into a land/ally and solve your problems with the new companions. 

I didn't use the LHO system enough, and I probably wouldn't if I started out again. However, I don't really care how you name that group of friendly helpful players, or what kind of system it is - just make it :)