Spell Focus Items

Kyphis the Bard

• Root Admin

ignite! yes that sounds good for the harp

anyway, i would like to clarify that i will not be able to follow this discussion from the moment i start it to the moment i implement it, so in the end, when i get buzi coding these, i will check the info provided on the other topic. I am sure at that time i will see things from a different perspective too.

Right, lets give this another go, got a few good ideas.

Dead Man's Whisper - '..Nobody has been able to understand it so far.'
This feels like it is just.. Dying.. For something like Frogspeak or Silvertongue, ideally something inbetween, beautiful speech, but completely incomprehensible.

Marind's Tea Cup
This one feels ideal for Ghostform given the story of Marind as a whole. Though the reasoning is a bit abstract so probably doesn't fit Mur's criteria.

Bottle of Mist - 'collected from a foggy day, quite dense'
Some form of misdirection, or changing the weather to 'Foggy' if possible, it's bottled weather after all.

Rubber Spiked Knuckle - 'Most likely used for intimidation, otherwise completely devoid of effectiveness.'
Attacklock, make someone too intimidated to attack.

So here, properly formatted, are possible enchantments for some of the unique items I have.  Do please confirm if any please you, Mur.

Item name: Bottle of Vinegar
Item ID:8157
Your ID:187066
Current functionality: none
Spell: givejoker
Number of casts: 24 - to be used to give MP3's a character strong enough to do some damage to each other and accumulate some heat scars.  Also, it's in character for me.
Casting words: Give your aramor a swig of this pickle juice

Item name: Mithril Autoharp
Item ID:224412
Your ID: 187066
Spell: givemask
Number of casts: 24 - say every month or two for a few years I can play the music that gives us a costume ball.  Fun!
Casting words: You are now all under the illusion of a musical spell!

Item name: Rubber Chicken
Item ID: 220454
Spell: Chaotic Boost
Number of casts: 24 - I'm not much of a fighter, but I'd like to occasionally pull a prank on a stronger player, just to keep them on their toes.
Casting words: You have been whacked by a rubber chicken

Item name: Bone Flute
Item ID:224414
Spell: teleport_papercabin
Number of casts: No limit - to be used to rescue newbies, people lost in the labyrinth, vets stuck on  GWI, etc.   Besides, it's not a big deal if used on regular players at GoE.
Casting words: Find your way home

• Root Admin
On 6/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Muratus del Mur said:

I would really like to see item spells other than kill, bringin and chase. Its really boring to see these asked for over and over again, you fail to understand that not being able to do these specific things easy, is part of what puts things in motion. I don't mind having an other kill item, if its done in a way that really makes sense, like for example mixing together player named rp items with something fancy like cause fights. In other words, several players attack AND DEFEAT a third player, and then use an item with his name on it, like a drop of blood, to kill him ..that would be OK, ..why are you so lazy to think one step ahead and ask something really nice, and you get stuck asking the usual 'kill','summon' bla bla.

As a more general thing, I'm not sure of a good way to do these threads without people focussing on what gifts they can give themselves. Its hard to remove personal greed from these things.

If anyone has ideas about it, give it over. Maybe you say you can only suggest items you don't have? :D 

• Root Admin
17 hours ago, Fyrd Argentus said:

So here, properly formatted, are possible enchantments for some of the unique items I have.  Do please confirm if any please you, Mur.

Item name: Bottle of Vinegar
Item ID:8157
Spell: givejoker
Number of casts: 24 - to be used to give MP3's a character strong enough to do some damage to each other and accumulate some heat scars.  Also, it's in character for me.
Casting words: Give your aramor a swig of this pickle juice

Item name: Mithril Autoharp
Item ID:224412
Your ID: 187066
Spell: givemask
Number of casts: 24 - say every month or two for a few years I can play the music that gives us a costume ball.  Fun!
Casting words: You are now all under the illusion of a musical spell!

Item name: Bone Flute
Item ID:224414
Spell: teleport_papercabin
Number of casts: No limit - to be used to rescue newbies, people lost in the labyrinth, vets stuck on  GWI, etc.   Besides, it's not a big deal if used on regular players at GoE.
Casting words: Find your way home

These are all bad suggestions because the first is to try and fix a problem with the tutorial/game. We should fix it rather than patching it.

I'm not sure what the second is for, give mask doesn't play music? We need to make sure givemask doesn't break accounts (illusions still do at times)

The third, again we are trying to give something personal to fix a wider issue, we should fix the issue.

I appreciate the ideas Fyrd, and it could be a short term "fix", but its a really bad idea to just patch over issues and I disagree with these patches as it just wastes time overall IMO.

17 minutes ago, Chewett said:

I appreciate the ideas Fyrd, and it could be a short term "fix", but its a really bad idea to just patch over issues and I disagree with these patches as it just wastes time overall IMO.

I appreciate your point of view on this.  I was just trying to feed Mur's request for ideas.

• Root Admin
7 minutes ago, Fyrd Argentus said:

I appreciate your point of view on this.  I was just trying to feed Mur's request for ideas.

If you have some ideas how to fix the issues on a more global scale that we could implement, that would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What about an old dusty map? have one for say... the laberanth, set it to fall apart after use, but it detail all locations in that zone. or like for MB same deal maybe allow temp. access to not so well known areas before the expiry time?? There are plenty of other locations to work with, like necro, prison and who knows where else(secrets??)

Is this inline with what you have requested? I'm sure if it is, this would be an expandable idea.

Edited by death ray

11 hours ago, death ray said:

What about an old dusty map? have one for say... the laberanth, set it to fall apart after use, but it detail all locations in that zone. or like for MB same deal maybe allow temp. access to not so well known areas before the expiry time?? There are plenty of other locations to work with, like necro, prison and who knows where else(secrets??)

Is this inline with what you have requested? I'm sure if it is, this would be an expandable idea.

It is possible for spells to grant the same keys used for scene access; I would assume that it is feasible to setup a spell that includes an expiration for the keys access it grants.

Given that it is highly unlikely something like this would be allowed for secret locations however, what would distinguish this item from the existing Land Pass Papers?

And is this idea based on an item you actually have, or is it a suggestion for a new item to be created for the purpose of casting such a spell?

5 hours ago, Kyphis the Bard said:

It is possible for spells to grant the same keys used for scene access; I would assume that it is feasible to setup a spell that includes an expiration for the keys access it grants. 

Given that it is highly unlikely something like this would be allowed for secret locations however, what would distinguish this item from the existing Land Pass Papers?

And is this idea based on an item you actually have, or is it a suggestion for a new item to be created for the purpose of casting such a spell?

The diffrence is that this item isnt per say a "land pass" you have to already have accses to go there. for instance NC if you have a land pass you can cross the gate to enter or by other means ofc. but with the dusty old map it would highlight low travled areas, the map dosn't have to grant accses to these areas only show that they are there. not everyone took the same path in story mode to have opened story mode based areas or used the appropriate WP for these unknown locations. Maybe theres a way/reason to expand the map to allow temp accses to the typicly off limits areas. Maybe have keys seperate from the map thaht would be obtainable for one time use for locked areas. 

hope that covered your first two points, the best i can.

This is not an item based off one I currently have or have ever had. It would be a new item with possably a new feature added to it.

I hope i have explained myself well enough for decent understanding. Thank you for your reply!

17 hours ago, death ray said:

This is not an item based off one I currently have or have ever had. It would be a new item with possably a new feature added to it.

I hope i have explained myself well enough for decent understanding. Thank you for your reply!

You've explained it well enough for my understanding certainly.

While when I created this thread it was fully with the idea of thinking of not only existing items that could have spells added as well as discussing potential new items designed around the idea of items having spells, Mur's own topic has laid out specific rules about what will currently be considered, and what won't be considered. I've got no problem with discussing ideas for new items - but I'm not the one giving spells to items :P. So beyond talking about this as a hypothetical, if you want to actually see this idea come into existence you will need to consider the rules Mur has put in place in his thread for making these requests: 

This said, for my own part I've been asked to help people identify exact existing spells to help them with their requests. For the idea that you've suggested, a possible existing spell if we were talking about GG instead of NC would be "key-gg_deep" which grants users access to the locations in Golemus that used to be unlocked via Ch3 of story mode. I'm not certain exactly how flexible the "spell must exist" requirement is as Key granting spells are normally permanent, however your idea would likely be best served as a temporary access, meaning it would need a modified version of the spell.

i have incomplte prison plans, for instance. If it was used it would grant at the least access to the main hall way area, not to release any spoilers of the prison, i don't want to say to much on it. but i see you know my idea with it

• Root Admin
7 hours ago, Kyphis the Bard said:

however your idea would likely be best served as a temporary access, meaning it would need a modified version of the spell.

Really it would be more like land papers which grant it based on a trigger but you shouldn’t need to worry about that.

• Root Admin
13 hours ago, death ray said:

Prison was just an example, and imo no to your first post

Sorry I believed you were talking about prision since you referred to your prision papers.

What do you  mean by "In my opinion prision isn't open"?

As far as I am aware, its not an opinion whether it is or isn't open, its a fact its open (unless someone from A25 has changed it again)? Could you clarify please.

13 hours ago, death ray said:

And for your second...no, it would not.

Yep it would be :) The example Kyphis gave of the gg key is a permanent unlock. You would need to use temporary keys or triggers like the land papers.

As I said though, how its implemented technically is not something people should worry about. Thats Mur and mine concerns.

I'm not really sure what you mean by stating it would not