Spell Focus Items

Kyphis the Bard

With the introduction of spell enablement through item possession as per announcement 5700, I thought it might be fun to talk about what sorts of items might be appropriate to add spells to.

https://magicduel.com/page/Announcement/view/5700

While the assumption is most items won't get spells on them, that doesn't mean we should limit our discussion accordingly. Rather, if an item seems appropriate then I think it fair to include it in the discussion, and considerations like how easy to obtain it is should be discussed after. Just because an item has a common version available right now doesn't mean a rarer version can't be introduced - after all, if a version of the item is already in the realm it's not much of a stretch to contemplate something more fitting down the line.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Locate
Maps
Binoculars/Opera Glasses

Give Vital
Healers kit
Bandages

Chaotic Boost
Potion bottles
Strange foods

Mirror Ritual
Mirrors
Pure Water

Move Lock
Manacles
Heavy Weights/Rocks

Army of the Dead
Bag of bones
Cursed objects

• Root Admin

you read my mind :)) i was about to post something similar.

then i will focus on documenting the spells properly and build auxiliary tools for this feature, because there are plenty that are needed, and you can help filter the info in this topic.

I will create an other topic where the results of this topic should be posted, like this i can skip reading too much, and i can make some items magical.

I will post the link shortly

Although I possess of strong doubts that these spells will be placed upon items, here do find some further suggestions:

bringin:

- vacuum cleaner

- magnet

- fishing rod

bringinallonline:

- big red button (for those who have played Among Us - this would be an "emergency meeting")

- black hole (or bottled gravity)

- charismatic personality

chase:

- flying carpet

- teleportation beam

I possess 4 unique items that are said to have been made from the remains of important characters in my backstory.  They are said to be able to help me commune with the spirits, which help me do various magical things.  I intend to ask that one be made A25 scriptable when the code for that is ready.

Fyrds Knator Hide Bodhran (drum with LR wood) - is already MD scriptable. - could be Dead Army

Mithril Autoharp (with unicorn hair strings) - could be Locate or acoustic remains

Bone Flute (with winderwild feather decoration) - could be Locate or acoustic remains

Underwater Bagpipes (bones and hide of a waterbeing - harsh out of water) - could be a weather spell - heavy rain

{Any could be "barfight" or "boostbriskness" or "earfocus"}

Edited by Fyrd Argentus
New spells I'm hearing about for the 1st time

• Root Admin

bringin and chase spells, and other admin spells will not be added to items , except if you have an item that is incredibly well suited to such a spell, via its name or description.
As i promised long ago, and i keep to promises, items description equivalete reality, so whatever the item name or description said, if that functionality is available, it will do that.

Items like "big red button" could be used for "emergency meeting" but this is just a possible use, the button could very well do other things, it is not bound to such a function, and since such a function is admin stuff, it will not do that. I will keep an open mind to allow it one time use of a massive summon spell or something, ..i am not sure if a one time use will be a problem or not.

Other items like "secret ingredient" could have a better use as a wildcard item in cauldron mixers. 
Many items suggested here, like "super glue","Smoke grenade", etc , do not exist, so PLEASE only suggest items that do exist ONLY

Going through the replies so far, i could pick only these possible enhancements:

Blue Silk Boxer Shorts - boostbriskness

• Root Admin

I got about 100 spells documented, i will continue next time. Kyphis contact me about these when you can, you need access to the docs, if you want to (i dont know if you want since you did not reply anything yet). If i hijacked your topic and you don't intend to help with it, its ok, just let me know. I realize it might be too much.

1 hour ago, Muratus del Mur said:

I got about 100 spells documented, i will continue next time. Kyphis contact me about these when you can, you need access to the docs, if you want to (i dont know if you want since you did not reply anything yet). If i hijacked your topic and you don't intend to help with it, its ok, just let me know. I realize it might be too much.

Oh I'm happy to help out. There just hasn't been a reason for me to reply directly yet 🤣

Oh, might as well throw a few things at this and see if anything sticks, after all magic items are fascinating!

I have an item called 'Death Tea', being a teamaker and though it's a weakened version so it doesn't kill those who partake in the drink, it could well apply Ghost Form or Weakness, the prior seeming like a fun way to play on the whole dying-but-less part.

The second item being the 'Kaleidoscope', this is a common item, but with how they are used to see the world in a new and broken perspective it seems to all but call for some spell that represents that.. I don't know of any, but things like calling night mode or something similar?

Here are some idea's:

Chase
Walking stick
A nicely carved walking stick but a little too short for you to use...

A Shoe
Just one right shoe... with no laces.

Kill
Boomerang
A wooden boomerang. Doesn't return when you throw it though.

Used Rope
A rope that was used for climbing the Golemus Golemicarum mountains. It has almost fallen apart.

Key Enable MP7
Toy Gaff
A small wooden gaff used by kids to play “pretend you are an whale hunter”.

Timeless Shot
Reversed Hourglass
A hourglass containing black sand of unknown origin that seems to fall upwards.

Seduction
Enchanted Lip
A small pair of stony lips. Legend has it that they whisper fake secrets to naive ears

Leader Spirit
Final Argument
A small slab of stone with the engraving: “It all comes down to perception.”

Let It Snow
Snow Globe
A globe containing a little snow-covered house and some trees. Give it a good shake to “make” it snow.

Bunny Speak
Bedazzled Easter Egg
Easter egg bedazzled with rhinestones. Probably a remnant of a girly easter.

Summon Knator Commander
Knator Meat
Fresh knator meat. Delicious!

Ear Focus
Elf Ears
For dressing up, pointy ears to wear over your own ears

Send To Bonemarrow
Wishbone
Part of a chicken, wrap your picky around one end and have your friend do the same, pull and whoever gets the bigger part gets to make a wish.

Send to 7_deathwhisper2_1
Wishbone
Part of a chicken, wrap your picky around one end and have your friend do the same, pull and whoever gets the bigger part gets to make a wish.

Edited by Invie

On 6/13/2022 at 9:55 PM, Muratus del Mur said:

bringin and chase spells, and other admin spells will not be added to items , except if you have an item that is incredibly well suited to such a spell, via its name or description.

Well, I have a unique "Acorn Whistle" item that could get the bringin spell via its name. Its description may not be a perfect match though, unless people don’t mind role-playing the loyal war-steed: 🤣

"A small acorn cap turned into a whistle, which is used by its owner to call his loyal war-steed to his side."

On 6/13/2022 at 6:22 PM, Muratus del Mur said:

barfight could be a good one for the alcohol bottles

A "Mulled Wine" common RP item could get the barfight spell.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, Valoryn said:

Well, I have a unique "Acorn Whistle" item that could get the bringin spell via its name. Its description may not be a perfect match though, unless people don’t mind role-playing the loyal war-steed: 🤣

"A small acorn cap turned into a whistle, which is used by its owner to call his loyal war-steed to his side."

Bringin spells are capable of being attuned to a specific person. If you can find someone who from a roleplay perspective (avatar, RP history, character docs, etc) fits the role of being your war steed then you could possibly get a version of Bringin that is attuned to just that person.

Spell casting via items isn't restricted to just the explicit existing spells. If a spell of the same type already exists and the modification is appropriate, then modified versions of some (but not necessarily all) spells can be possible. Gotta have a strong enough argument to justify it though 😉

• Root Admin

I would really like to see item spells other than kill, bringin and chase. Its really boring to see these asked for over and over again, you fail to understand that not being able to do these specific things easy, is part of what puts things in motion. I don't mind having an other kill item, if its done in a way that really makes sense, like for example mixing together player named rp items with something fancy like cause fights. In other words, several players attack AND DEFEAT a third player, and then use an item with his name on it, like a drop of blood, to kill him ..that would be OK, ..why are you so lazy to think one step ahead and ask something really nice, and you get stuck asking the usual 'kill','summon' bla bla.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Valoryn said:

A "Mulled Wine" common RP item could get the barfight spell.

its a bit of a stretch, the item is about the wine, not the bottle that could be used for a fight. I am open to make all bottles and bar items able to start a bar fight, if anyone asks with a specific item as initial sample. 

If nobody asks, i will leave it untouched and maybe one day in the future an other use will fit in this place.

Unfinished Treasure Map - Locate character
It says “X marks the spot”. Problem is, someone forgot to draw the map...

Red suspenders -  Mutate an Aramor into a Dream Joker
Perfect for a mime or someone well-dressed

Yang's Fortune cookie #9 - Summon the dead army
Tastes like sugar and cardboard, the note inside reads “Grave misfortune is bound to your path.”

• Root Admin

they certainly have potential, but not that.

Unfinished Treasure Map  - i see it only if used in conjunction with something else, otherwise its just a fragment of a map at most.

Red suspenders

i see it trigger an illusion mode related spell, Contess of Chroma related maybe. I can accept such a proposal if well documented. If provided art i can probably set something more custom to match exactly this item. I warn you however, setting up illusions was a difficult task even years ago, i am not sure i remember how, but @Chewett might :)

Yang's Fortune cookie #9

sounds like the perfect candidate for a curse related spell, or severe weaken. Where you see dead army in this i have no clue.

Acorn Whistle

...hich is used by its owner to call his loyal war-steed to his side..

This talks clearly about a possible fight intervention, maybe this one could use otherarmy set to something interesting. .. Or could be a heat vein traveling spell...not sure. 

Mithril Autoharp

..this musical instrument can stir any emotion in the heart of the listener..

It talks about an action, items that talk about something they can do, these are the ones to look for. Its hard to decide what such an action should do, maybe earfocus... or maybe prevent combat, freeze creatures...or what other effects could a heart full of emotion have?