New Front Page

Fenrir Greycloth

The front page's new addition, while informative, is, I believe, to be more of an eyesore than a way to attract more players.

The original page showed what new players wanted to know about a game. The interface, the features, and what it is about.

Well, before the new addition, the Interface, and Features were the main focus. With a small, but healthy, portion of the About.

Now, it has become more About than anything else.

For example, think of the front page as a human. We need Meat, Grains, and Vegetables to survive. We had the Meat and Grains in good supply, with small servings of Veggies. A healthy diet in other words. Now, the front page has become more of a Vegetarian. Vegetarians can't survive without the proteins and other vitamins that Meat provides.

Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I just the only one?

[IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/TheIronWarlock/24071_392764757696_511477696_367273.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Fenrir Greycloth

I agree with you that the new front page is much less friendly to new people coming to MD, but I doubt that is the purpose for it. At this point MD is about veterans and the few people who have stuck with it in spite of the problems and current issues.

Unfortunately with the "Duel" system totally broken and the "Magic" system not yet implemented for inner spells, illusions not currently being used (MP2), and most spells not generally available, it isn't surprising there are few new people staying around.

With that said though, I wouldn't be surprised if Mur changed the front page on purpose to keep new people away. That would be a less drastic way of discouraging new people than completely closing the gates like Mur did not too long ago.

I have come to understand that Mur often does things that don't seem to make sense at the time but may help him shed insight into how MD is functioning. To me it seems that he is more interested in seeing how small changes in the MD world affect its development than having lots of people around to experience MD. It might even be the case that Mur believes that having a smaller population makes his psychological experiments yield better results.

So maybe instead of "Why is the new front page less friendly?", the question to ask should be "What is Mur planning that requires new people to be kept away?"

Cutler

• Root Admin

Mur is just aiming at a different audience. Instead of aiming for lots of users, he is perhaps looking at a user who isnt just pulled in by great graphics, and has a certain level of intelligence to read and be enthralled.

He even states in bold that "MagicDuel is not something for anybody to master, but for everybody to experience." Which i think is also good, it shows that not everyone will "get" MD and if people can understand that then they wont leave the game so confused, merely not intrested in the type of game.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='31 March 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1270059006' post='57257']
For example, think of the front page as a human. We need Meat, Grains, and Vegetables to survive. We had the Meat and Grains in good supply, with small servings of Veggies. A healthy diet in other words. Now, the front page has become more of a Vegetarian. Vegetarians can't survive without the proteins and other vitamins that Meat provides.
[/quote]

Thats why we see all these Vegatarians dieing every day because they cant force themselves to eat meat... Oh wait a moment, they dont :blink:

Actually, your example is unwittingly rather good. Mur has just changed the "diet" to attract a different type of person aka a "vegatarian" if you understand this example.

[quote name='lightsage' date='31 March 2010 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1270063758' post='57262']
I'll just state I find your example highly distasteful... Ofcourse you do immediatly manage to show your expertise
[/quote]

Are you kidding? Just because I didn't list the many forms of vitamins and nutrients in meat does not make it distasteful. It was an example. Get over yourself and your imagined insults. I'll just state how your post adds nothing to this thread and I would like it removed. Vegetarians can't survive without Proteins and the other vitamins provide. It's a fact. They have to take supplements and eat large ammounts other sources of protein to
to make up for the loss of nutrients meat provides. I know more about physical fitness and fitness training than you could ever think of lightsage. So before you open your mouth again, and spew how distasteful you find somehing think. Then don't say anything.

On another note.

As for the change of diet Chewett, you may have a point. Then again, it's hard to figure out what Mur is doing at any given momemnt sometimes.

But why would Mur change the type of people that pass through this first filter? When he has so many others?

Edited by Fenrir Greycloth

[quote name='dst' date='31 March 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1270067884' post='57267']
Cause people like you seem to pass the filter.
[/quote]
I joined MD when I was 18. I'm twenty now, and lots of things have changed with me. You forget what I used to be like, then what I became and now what I am. :blink:

• Root Admin

Currently, im not entirely sure the current "playerbase" works. Although MD is a "ROLE playing game" there are few roleplayers and people intrested in MD itself.

I think that a change of playerbase would be a good idea. The current "Core" players complain about how boring MD is and we all love Stat Grinders.

Lately i have only seen more and more Stat Grinders playing, and fewer and fewer people that look to the secrets of MD. Whatever the extra words add to the

-----------------------------------------------------------------
OFFTOPIC

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='31 March 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1270066257' post='57264']
Are you kidding? Just because I didn't list the many forms of vitamins and nutrients in meat does not make it distasteful. It was an example. Get over yourself and your imagined insults. I'll just state how your post adds nothing to this thread and I would like it removed. Vegetarians can't survive without Proteins and the other vitamins provide. It's a fact. They have to take supplements and eat large ammounts other sources of protein to
to make up for the loss of nutrients meat provides. I know more about physical fitness and fitness training than you could ever think of lightsage. So before you open your mouth again, and spew how distasteful you find somehing think. Then don't say anything.
[/quote]

Protein

Protein intake in vegetarian diets is only slightly lower than in meat diets and can meet daily requirements for any person, including athletes and bodybuilders. Studies at Harvard University as well as other studies conducted in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and various European countries, have confirmed that vegetarian diets provide sufficient protein intake as long as a variety of plant sources are available and consumed
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian#Protein"]- From Wikipedia[/url]

and Fenrir, we all know you know a lot about stuff we have no idea about. But this isnt the way to say it! patronize us but dont confront. And no its not a fact they have to take lots of Supplements, My best friend is a vegetarian and she takes care to make sure that she has an appropriate diet to have the correct intake of foodstuffs. She regularly also visits a Dietitian to make sure that she has enough of everything (she is a diabetic so keeping the balance is a life threating issue) and because she includes the relevant foodstuffs, she doesnt need to take supplements.

Its no point really comparing knowledge as we can all say "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU ABOUT X" but really we cant compare what each knows. It only accomplishs to annoy each other.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='31 March 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1270067992' post='57268']
I joined MD when I was 18. I'm twenty now, and lots of things have changed with me. You forget what I used to be like, then what I became and now what I am. :blink:
[/quote]

I kinda liked that fenrir, The fenrir i could have a nice decent talk about the lore and general MD. Im still have some hope that the good ol fenrir will return.

[quote name='Chewett' date='31 March 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1270070374' post='57271']
Currently, im not entirely sure the current "playerbase" works. Although MD is a "ROLE playing game" there are few roleplayers and people intrested in MD itself.

I think that a change of playerbase would be a good idea. The current "Core" players complain about how boring MD is and we all love Stat Grinders.

Lately i have only seen more and more Stat Grinders playing, and fewer and fewer people that look to the secrets of MD. Whatever the extra words add to the

OFFTOPIC
----------------------------------------------------------------

Protein

Protein intake in vegetarian diets is only slightly lower than in meat diets and can meet daily requirements for any person, including athletes and bodybuilders. Studies at Harvard University as well as other studies conducted in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and various European countries, have confirmed that vegetarian diets provide sufficient protein intake as long as a variety of plant sources are available and consumed
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian#Protein"]- From Wikipedia[/url]

and Fenrir, we all know you know a lot about stuff we have no idea about. But this isnt the way to say it! patronize us but dont confront. And no its not a fact they have to take lots of Supplements, My best friend is a vegetarian and she takes care to make sure that she has an appropriate diet to have the correct intake of foodstuffs. She regularly also visits a Dietitian to make sure that she has enough of everything (she is a diabetic so keeping the balance is a life threating issue) and because she includes the relevant foodstuffs, she doesnt need to take supplements.

Its no point really comparing knowledge as we can all say "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU ABOUT X" but really we cant compare what each knows. It only accomplishs to annoy each other.

I kinda liked that fenrir, The fenrir i could have a nice decent talk about the lore and general MD. Im still have some hope that the good ol fenrir will return.
[/quote]

Some things need to change for him to return. On both sides of the fence.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='31 March 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1270066257' post='57264']

On another note.

As for the change of diet Chewett, you may have a point. Then again, it's hard to figure out what Mur is doing at any given momemnt sometimes.

But why would Mur change the type of people that pass through this first filter? When he has so many others?
[/quote]
Your saying protein is a vitamin... That was my quote of your "expertise".

[quote name='lightsage' date='31 March 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1270070874' post='57274Wth. I didn't say it was a vitamin. It may have come off like that with my wording, but I wouldn't have thought someone would post just to say that my wording was wrong... not exactly an English professor here... :blink:

This is not just about a grammatical structure... Or maybe it is about your inability to formulate properly:

Science is always formulated in such a way it represents exactly what you mean. It's one of the first things you learn when studying a science. Your inability to do so in your native tongue makes me deduct the extent to which your knowledge on the Biology and Chemistry stretches. Not very far.

This is all I'll state in this topic for I have no desire to start a flame war.

The new front page is a different approach. We have maybe around 10-20 people that sign up a day then of those 10-20 maybe one or two actually stick around. I mean im 38** series. If I stuck around I would have much more than 347 active days. Of the six adepts I have only one that remains active.
I can simply say that the reason I left for such a long time was that I didn't know how to play. I thought it was one fight a day at 100% vitality hope for a win and repeat. It was after when I came back when I was 18 when I critically had the patience to find out the workings by my own accord. Then actually look at other rituals critically and pick up on random strategy people where attempting to run past other people. As mur said it is to experience nobody has truly mastered MD and likely nobody will.

The truth of the front page is to target the group of people who will actually play and learn the game instead of making it a craps shoot.

• Root Admin

Interesting post about food and front page all combined. While a more tasty and roasted front page increases the registration rate, it also brings lots of low-medium quality players that expect an other kind of game and don't bother to understand a different one. Weird thing is that registration rate actually increased and i can't realy explain that. Most of the players that stick around more than one day and i asked about what kept them here told me about things on the main page less advertised, such as the small disclaimer text or the principles.

MD search engine optimization is bad, because i don't want to spam it with keywords aimed at an other kind of game. The kind of people that stay in md are interested in something else than a casual game.

Think what kept you here or what made you register in the first place.

Now i find it interesting how vets see everything so collapsed and destroyed, not functional and me trying to drive people away in masked ways, while those not cought by this "MD is boring" paranoia still enjoy it.

I am kind of bored of this all-knowing-everything-is-down attitude.

Think of this, the best players registered while main page was a total disaster and are still around...so let me worry about such things.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='01 April 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1270111478' post='57318']

MD search engine optimization is bad, because i don't want to spam it with keywords aimed at an other kind of game. The kind of people that stay in md are interested in something else than a casual game.

Think what kept you here or what made you register in the first place.

Think of this, the best players registered while main page was a total disaster and are still around...so let me worry about such things.
[/quote]

Exactly, Mur always seems to have reasons for the things he does and if making the front page less friendly doesn't makes sense to the rest of us that's only due to our lack of insight into what he is planning.

So I repeat my previous question which is more to the point, "What is Mur planning that requires discouraging most new players?"

Cutler

• Root Admin

Let me put it this way. Amount of new players is NOT decided by the front page. It is a constant, believe it or not. Think of it this way, ads are calculate with a pay per click way, that means if front page is less attractive it will still generate same amount of clicks but will require a lot more views to do that.

Changing the amount of info on the main page changes the kind of players that join. Those to bored to bother with readin it will not join anymore, while those that look for more will be pleased by it. I am just moving the "give-up" point to before the registration instead of the first day after registration.

New registrations increased slightly from about 65 to 75/day, but player kind changed a lot more.

This goes for the banners too. It is actualy much more convenient to have ugly banners with lower click rate than beautiful banners with lots of clicks. This is because you pay for those clicks but not for the views, so a very ugly banner will receive clicks only from people very curious or very interested, while a very nice banner will receive clicks also by people that dont realy want to play anything but are just impressed by the banners. The reason MD has nice banners right now its because of the attitude i want it to have on the market, sort of a brand image, it costs me more (indirectly) but people see it with better eyes than when i used the ugly banners.

So stop with this Mur-wants-people-out conspiracy theories, i know what i am doing.

The guy is 28 years old running his own game and doing a pretty damn good decent job of it if i do say so myself I'm here for the company the secrets and the fun I don't see the point in stat grinding if i wanted that I'd go play some other game and get bored quick...I've been here 10 days and haven't gotten bored yet and i honestly don't think that will ever happen with all the new stuff I'm finding all the time I joined this site because I was looking for something new and interesting and I found this game here http://browsermmorpg.com/index.php?a=page&id=review_magicduel and thought it looked interesting haven't regretted my new found addiction to this game one bit

Edited by Darigan