Dear Community,

Chewett

• Root Admin

To Everyone,

It seems we have forgotten the more recent legends of this world. Just because some didnt Roleplay, Does not mean they did not do good for MD. I may even go as far to say that some people who didnt roleplay did more for MD that a couple asterixes and words (yes i know im just asking for as much spam as possible on this anti RP sentence)

But, today my focus is on this gross injustice, Jonn.

It seems like no one but me is willing to speak up for him, It seems everyone has forgotten what he did. This is a sad day indeed because Jonn was much more than Just the LHO leader.

Jonn sorted out any problems in the realm, if you needed advice or help you could go to him, and he would gladly help with a little bit of humor also. And being the first offical head of the LHO's he was in charge of sorting everything out and his legacy continues in Grido and those well organised helpers.

I dont care if you dont think he isnt a legend, But if you can put someone like Ugauga up as a Great for being one of the first LHO's and bug researchers, Then surely Jonn should also be there for the organisation and first offical "rpc" type player. He was the main person you went to if there was a dispute of the rules or anything similar.

It seems that these older players are automatically Canonized because of people not actually knowing them, whereas people you know fall by the wayside. Surely a legends book should be passed down so newer players do remember them? I hardly see new people speak of Wodin or BigC (not sure why you have two entries, being the same person) becaues they do not know about them, So if you judge that as a legendary status then really all but Khal should probably go.

All in all i think the current methods of picking is rather bad, due to its nature, and some other way should be suggested such as doing this for each player you think should be in the book.

Yes, I agree: Jonn did a lot in the past. He was the first I turned to when I had troubles. He was one of the few players I trusted back then. He had a good judgment and he was impartial (he was a loner in a way so he was not drawn to any of the small groups that were starting to form). Not to mention he was a good bug researcher and a good coder (few actually know this probably).

Edited by dst

I will add my vote to Jonn. I was lucky to be around long enough to know Jonn on the times when he was active, and I can surely say that he has done a LOT for the game. He was amongst the few people I know I can go to when I need help during my early days in the game, and until his departure he has kept on doing a lot for MD in many ways. When I heard he was leaving, it was really a shock because honestly, it was rather hard to imagine MD without a Jonn. MD would not be the same today if we did not have Jonn, and I would say that he is easily one of MD's most legendary figure, at least to me.

• Root Admin

I think this "legendary" status should be received during the players "life" not after its "death" ...because if it is after people will start exagerating what that player actualy did or they will forget what he did. But its hard or nearly impossible to judge it fair and not based on personal favors of the voters.

I see a lot of ancient personalities of MD named as way to much than they were and i see others like jonn that get indeed forgotten.

It is their memory that keeps legends alive. In history there are history books to remind us of their memory, because over time nobody actually remembers one or the others but remember what other said about them.

In MD we have sort of an accelerated world where there are already legends forgotten in the past, myth, and such. Like always, i won't interfere with what the comm...collection of people here does, unless you badly derail like with the ancient lore thing. As you see you have plenty of history to talk about already.

People are legends for different reasons. Some, like Khal are mentioned and remembered a lot it seems, others not so much. Personally, I feel that this is a job for the legend speakers or archivists in general. Often the most important things people do are the things that few people know about. It is this that makes people real heroes and tragically often forgotten or unknown by many. You could say that hero is a better word than legend. Some legends are more myth than reality. Has Jonn a legend? it seems not. But he meant a lot to me and his absence has been felt I think. He should not be forgotten, I feel that would be a crime somehow. Jonn was definately a person that I admired and respected and I feel he made a very real and definate contribution to life in MD. He should be remembered, a definate hero.

Edited by Firsanthalas

[quote name='Firsanthalas' date='06 May 2010 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1273148500' post='59486']
People are legends for different reasons. Some, like Khal are mentioned and remembered a lot it seems, others not so much. Personally, I feel that this is a job for the legend speakers or archivists in general. Often the most important things people do are the things that few people know about. It is this that makes people real heroes and tragically often forgotten or unknown by many. You could say that hero is a better word than legend. Some legends are more myth than reality. Has Jonn a legend? it seems not. But he meant a lot to me and his absence has been felt I think. He should not be forgotten, I feel that would be a crime somehow. Jonn was definately a person that I admired and respected and I feel he made a very real and definate contribution to life in MD. He should be remembered, a definate hero.
[/quote]

I agree, especially with that it is a job for the legend speakers or the archivists in general. But... where are they? When I stopped the book, I asked for the next archivist who wanted to pick up the project please contact me. Nobody has. Not one.

The only person who asked was Kyphis, and all he asked was if I had written it. He didn't mention anything about wanting to continue the project.

I would be more than willing to turn it over to the next archivist, but I'm not about to let an important project fall to the wayside because no one is willing to do it. If someone wants to stand up and take the job from me, speak now, please.

Awi

Edited by awiiya

I remember him as the prototype of LHO, he was a good friend, and much like Grido, I tend to make fun of them, but t'is all purely in jest :))

Either way, I refrain from saying who are actually legends, particularly because people see me as some sort of 'living legend'.
Man, all I did was play. Sometimes I was good at it, sometimes I sucked at it.
Does this qualify me to say who is a legend? Hardly.

Let the people who actually require legends, those who crave a history to base themselves upon, let them hear the stories of players of old, and let them decide, based purely upon the merit of their achievements, whether or not this was naught but friendship, or fundamental game play difference, who is 'legendary'. And you will see, that over time, as long as the older players remember and talk about them, that legends will appear.

Jonn, (for the newbies, he had double n's, no h. :P) was an RPC, not a great fighter, a nice friend, a good LHO, who did good things for MD.

He is a slightly more disturbed version of Grido, because he likes gophers, and Grido only likes to wear dresses and a big male named bubba.

Edited by Metal Bunny

Just want to say that Jonn is a player that I will always remember. (this is in response to the statement that he is forgotten)

He is a fair player and the thing that makes him different (besides his passion for the responsibilities that he carries) is that he has a weird sense of humor.

I feel lucky and honored that I got to know him.

He was someone i admired a lot, when i came back from my absence (which probably only a few around currently know about), i tried to get into the game again and he helped me a lot with that. Not only was he a great LHO, he was a great friend if you'd let him be.

Legends are who we make into legends, no matter what they've done, we're the ones who turn them into it, we respond to what they've done in a positive way and they would become a legend, or indeed in a largely negative way, and the same would happen, just for different reasons. Like Buns (sortof) said, the legends that are spoken of were just playing the game like anyone else, if they'd been asked when they were still playing if they thought they were a legend, they would likely have replied that they werent.

Do i think Jonn was a legend? Sure i do, and it's sad to me that he's been so forgotton.

[quote name='awiiya' date='07 May 2010 - 02:13 AM' timestamp='1273158786' post='59493']
I agree, especially with that it is a job for the legend speakers or the archivists in general. But... where are they? When I stopped the book, I asked for the next archivist who wanted to pick up the project please contact me. Nobody has. Not one.

The only person who asked was Kyphis, and all he asked was if I had written it. He didn't mention anything about wanting to continue the project.

I would be more than willing to turn it over to the next archivist, but I'm not about to let an important project fall to the wayside because no one is willing to do it. If someone wants to stand up and take the job from me, speak now, please.

Awi
[/quote]
I would gladly take over the project, Awiiya. The reason I asked if you were the one who was maintaining it was because I was interested in seeing more work done on it. I only require one more wishpoint to be able to edit clickables, once that is done I was going to discuss turning the responsibility over to the Speakers.
I was not aware that you had already wished to pass the project on, if I had known I would have been more open in my desire to see it continued.